• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Teknoman

So when is sprint actually useful if you cant outrun make noise while moving around? Only when messing with working joes or humans?

What the hell is the difference other than the amount of damage you take?
Like I said, a lot less stuff to find. In TLoU Survivor, at any given time I was down to a handful of weapons I could use because the game wouldn't give me enough materials.

In Alien on Hard, I was maxed out on every craftable item for the entire duration of the game. Seriously. Maybe it's because I didn't use them enough (I thought I did), but I thought it was way too generous.
All I'm saying is that I think the game could've done with another, harder difficulty.

Edit: oh I thought you were asking what's the difference in TLoU. The other guys have your question covered.

Norci7

ymwuid.gif

Running causes accidents.

Protein

Banned
I'm trapped in a vent right now. I'm right outside a circle vent and my motion detector is picking up something outside camping out in the same spot yet nothing is there, no ceiling vents either. Is the alien fucking with me?

Scoot2005

Banned
I'm trapped in a vent right now. I'm right outside a circle vent and my motion detector is picking up something outside camping out in the same spot yet nothing is there, no ceiling vents either. Is the alien fucking with me?

The motion tracker picks up things above and below you also. With no indication of which.

Played through Crew Expendable with all three characters. It's a fun look back at a 'what if' scenario and all the original cast voice work is great. For movie buffs, the dialogue changes a bit depending on which character you use so you to get hear a bit of variation with each play through.

Need to get the Last Survivor DLC whenever it comes out.

In Alien on Hard, I was maxed out on every craftable item for the entire duration of the game. Seriously. Maybe it's because I didn't use them enough (I thought I did), but I thought it was way too generous.
Yeah, I agree. I'm constantly leaving components behind. I'm not sure I've even used smoke bombs.

Pilgrimzero

Doing Dr. Kuhlmans mission aka the first real alien sneaking stuff and i get almost back to the Doc and the alien just happens to look in the locker im in. And there went 1.5 hours of work.

Really wishing for a checkpoint system.

Grisby

Doing Dr. Kuhlmans mission aka the first real alien sneaking stuff and i get almost back to the Doc and the alien just happens to look in the locker im in. And there went 1.5 hours of work.

1.5 hours? Jesus. There's a save system in the two rooms. Need to abuse it man, even when it says hostiles are nearby.

ElTopo

Banned
Tried out Survival Mode. I did okay, beat it on my 2nd try but I didn't get the Crew ID Tags. I'll probably play it again when I'm bored.

Coolest thing happened:

I was right at the generator, Alien came down just outside that room and I went into the vent. Did some exploring and couldn't find much, not making any noise, when I went back to the vent leading to the generator the Alien dropped down inside the vent and almost got me. Had to empty some Flamer ammo and I took damage when he rushed me.

Holy mother of.. my worst fear realized, I always wondered if that was possible which means I've had a few close calls at that exact same save station.

That section is brutal. The final part of it when you have to escape to the exit had me on the edge of my seat between the lighting and the alien and humans patroling the u shaped hall.

Cudder

I'm still fairly early in the game, but I will say that this game makes me want to go from point A->B->C as quickly as possible without exploring any side rooms or hallways (at least when the Alien is roaming). In any other game (yes, even horror games), I always get a kick out of going to areas other than my objective to explore and see what I can find. But the Alien AI is pretty aggressive, to the point where I just want to go to where I'm supposed to go.

Don't know if that's a positive or a negative.

Just finished it on hard and really enjoyed it. There's a solid game there for sure, which makes me excited for what they might have in store for the future.

Karamsoul

Just finished it. A truly amazing game and it oozes absolute love by the developers. I'd score this at least a 9/10, and I don't even like stealth games.

Played the game on medium difficulty, in case anyone's wondering.

Skele7on

Banned
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

PS4 USERS:

I BROKE THE GAME TONIGHT, LITERALLY BROKE IT.

LEVEL 16 IS NOW BUGGED BECAUSE I FAILED A PART IN LEVEL 15

THE ONLY WAY TO FIX THIS IS TO GO BACK AND DO THE WHOLE OF LEVEL 15 WITHOUT MESSING UP THE END BIT.

More info here:
game breaking bug level 16

Really pissed off, I absolutely loved this game, and sure did see a few crazy things like floating weapons but I just carried on.
Now this has happened, I sort of think how the hell do these games keep getting through QA? Oh well will carry on replay mission 15 and not mess up and carry on.
just :( BTW the tell tale sign in mission 16 is you land in a place and you have no checkpoint or goal location, if that happens just go back and do level 15 again.

there are save points all over that level, just backtrack a bit and save...

you shouldnt have to re-do more then 10 - 15 mins worth of progress after any death in the entire game, i finished it last night

knowing where your save points are and where a quick place to grab cover is in every room are very important. i also cleared out whole areas before activating power on devices, so i knew the best way out afterwards

Ricker

Fuck this game....Can't believe I cant finish this because of a stupid mini game...I get the upgrade and all but all of a sudden the timer on the hacking goes way too fast or the Alien comes in and kills me while I try re entering the symbols...this is Misson 15 by the way...oh well,had fun with it but thats it...bring on Evil Within.

LowParry

Fuck this game....Can't believe I cant finish this because of a stupid mini game...I get the upgrade and all but all of a sudden the timer on the hacking goes way too fast or the Alien comes in and kills me while I try re entering the symbols...this is Misson 15 by the way...oh well,had fun with it but thats it...bring on Evil Within.

Really? lol

Ricker

Really? lol

What do you mean really? the hacking device that I upgraded to level 3,when I get to the door,it goes way too fast and the signal detected is hard to hold,making me restart the sequence...it never went this fast before,I never failed one of these before...once I die and restart,randomly the Alien comes in while I am trying the code and kills me.

Finished it yesterday. What a fantastic experience. Shame that those last few chapters dragging on so much and being such obvious padding keeps it from being short of a masterpiece. I love the game, but it's painful that one obvious glaring flaw brings it down a notch or two.

Zomba13

What do you mean really? the hacking device that I upgraded to level 3,when I get to the door,it goes way too fast and the signal detected is hard to hold,making me restart the sequence...it never went this fast before,I never failed one of these before...once I die and restart,randomly the Alien comes in while I am trying the code and kills me.

If it's the one I'm thinking of then you get a mission update saying something like "find a way to lower the firewall" or something like that.

LowParry

The lesson I've learned with those type of encounters is to just wait it out. Maybe wait for the moment to send out a distraction but the game's taught me to be just be super patience with goals.

If it's the mission where
You're trying to enter Apollo
then yeah, your mission should update and you'll have to
crawl into one of the vents that led you into the room and hack a monitor installed in the vent ceiling

These graphics in this game are not praised highly enough. The lighting model is so perfect for this game.

The mission in the
reactor
with all the electricity effects combined with the pitch perfect sound design for the booms... I haven't been so Impressed with a set peice in a long time.

I was concerned the androids were going to be annoying on that level. But I had enough bolt gun ammo to clear 3 waves of them as they showed up. Bolt gun to the face insta kill! And it was actually one of the easist lvls in the game because of how much space they give you.

I'm still fairly early in the game, but I will say that this game makes me want to go from point A->B->C as quickly as possible without exploring any side rooms or hallways (at least when the Alien is roaming). In any other game (yes, even horror games), I always get a kick out of going to areas other than my objective to explore and see what I can find. But the Alien AI is pretty aggressive, to the point where I just want to go to where I'm supposed to go.

Don't know if that's a positive or a negative.

This is the ONE thing that is holding me off from purchasing this game. I absolutely LOVE roaming all the side stuff and soaking in all the atmosphere, taking my time. This game looks like it oozes atmosphere. But the fact that you are constantly being hunted while you are doing that stuff is a major turnoff.

Man I felt dumb earlier today at the end of Mission 6.

When the game tells you to Escape and the alien drops in front of you before the room blows up...I was running around the room looking for the way out and didn't pay attention to my health. Died and had to replay about 15 min or so. I don't know how I missed the freaking ladder in the middle of the room. Anyone else miss this the first time?

If it's the mission where
You're trying to enter Apollo
then yeah, your mission should update and you'll have to
crawl into one of the vents that led you into the room and hack a monitor installed in the vent ceiling

That is not mission 15. I think that was 12 or 13.

But ya, he is probably doing something wrong.

I actually think this game is very reasonable and fair once you know the rules. People who think the game is being unfair undoubtedly misunderstnd some key concept. Which to ne fair, the game does not spell out these key concepts for you. You have to learn the hard way.

When the game tells you to Escape and the alien drops in front of you before the room blows up...I was running around the room looking for the way out and didn't pay attention to my health. Died and had to replay about 15 min or so. I don't know how I missed the freaking ladder in the middle of the room. Anyone else miss this the first time?

Yeah, I totally did this.

Elitist1945

Fuck this games put me on the edge of my seat. I know I'm not suppose to run when the Alien is around, but its so hard not to try and make a run for it out of fear.

I don't believe so. The side vents do have areas that look like spawn points so maybe. Look up the next few times your in a side vent you'll see what I mean.

Is there a consensus that the Alien spawns and/or teleports magically?
because if it does, strangely, I don't want to buy the game :(
from some video clips it seems to move in magical ways and that would drive me insane no matter how good the game is, otherwise.

Ledhead

Yep, happened to me as well.

I died twice trying to find a way to open the door at the end of the room :/ Was getting frustrated, and finally looked up on try number 3. Can't believe I didn't notice what was right in front of me haha

Just finished, what a fantastic game. A few cheap deaths but overall if I died I felt like I deserved my fate and learned for the next go around. An absolute blast though as a fan of the movies, and definitely going on my top 10 for the year!

Spoilers pertaining to that part:
I actually had the same problem, and to top it off when I did figure it out I didnt see the prompt to hit a button so I ended up falling down to my death and replaying it again haha.

Top Bottom