• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

SpaceHorror

Ok, just gotta use this keyc...NOPE.

qocxuq.gif

Just completed it (on Hard, and got the no-killing achievement, too).

Boy, the last hour or two
is just brutal for Amanda. Kid's way tougher than her mother. They threw every Alien trick at you and then some. It's kind of sad it devolved into a linear path with QTEs for the last half an hour or so, but I guess they'd earned it with everything that came before, and crawling through a second nest and blowing away facehuggers and almost getting killed by wild trains and lifts and then pinwheeling off into space was all horrible fun.

The peak of the game? Five words: "Objective Updated: Restart the Generator." I wasn't scared for most of the game, but holy shit that sequence was masterful. That's how it should be. Four rooms and a long corridor. One furious alien. A flame thrower low on juice. And then pitch black, and backtracking.

A lot of flaws, but the highs were bananas. I give IGN no stars for their review.

Just finished it on hard and really enjoyed it. There's a solid game there for sure, which makes me excited for what they might have in store for the future.
Please, no sequel. Wait ten years for the tech leap to be interesting and then do something new with the license. There is zero need for a sequel. They pulled out all the stops.

I'm curious how many people got the achievement/trophy on their first try pertaining to mission 5:

complete the fifth mission without being killed by the alien

If my memory serves me right this was the
Medical Bay
level, so this could be hard to come by on a first playthrough.

For the record, I did not get it. Playing on Normal at the moment.

This game is really frustrating. The AI is annoying and the stealth sections are cringe- worthy.

The save points are also incredibly inconsistent. The missions/objectives are repetitive. "Go here, but avoid the alien." Okay, I get it. ALIEN FUCKING SPAWNS OUT OF NOWHERE, NO CHANCE TO ESCAPE. YOU'RE FUCKED.

I'm honestly mad I spent money on this game. There's a good game somewhere in this mess, but it's hard to find when there's so many frustrating mechanics. Shame

SRTtoZ

Fuck I love this game. 5 hours in and I'm loving every minute of it. There's no other game where the save points are so satisfying.

I'm quite surprised I'm running this max settings, 1080p @60fps on my 680gtx.

This game is really frustrating. The AI is annoying and the stealth sections are cringe- worthy.

The save points are also incredibly inconsistent.

I'm honestly mad I spent money on this game. There's a good game somewhere in this mess, but it's hard to find when there's so many frustrating mechanics. Shame

I could say a few memes to you. For example: Obvious troll is obvious, Git Gud, etc. But I won't, instead I'll just point out that you can always hear a loud, constant beeping coming from the numerous save points, you probably never attempted to distract the Xenomorph
with a noisemaker or get around it in a smart way such as hiding in vents, or crawling under tables
, and that every mechanic is fairly simple if you just try to pick up on patterns. I'm truly sorry for your loss, as this is certainly a GOTY contender, and it's a damn shame you won't play it.

frontovik

Banned
I'm curious how many people got the achievement/trophy on their first try pertaining to mission 5:

Medical Bay

Must be a console achievement? It's not listed on STEAM.

I could say a few memes to you. For example: Obvious troll is obvious, Git Gud, etc. But I won't, instead I'll just weep that because you can't hear a loud, constant beeping coming from the numerous save points, you probably never attempted to distract the Xenomorph or get around it in a smart way, and otherwise never figured out how to play the game. I'm truly sorry for your loss, and I hope that a life without this great game is worth continuing to live. *gives hug*

"someone doesn't like a game that I like, suggests to person that they should kill themselves"

different strokes for different folks

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So this came via amazon, case all busted. Ordered replacement.

Kind of okay with it though since I still have to finish Shadow of Mordor and my D8000 got struck by lightening, so getting that repaired before playing would be nice. (Playing on one of my 23" monitors at the moment)

Really pumped to play this though.

shiba5

Medical Bay

I got it, but the first time I tried Mission 5 I was attempting to use the lockers and not getting very far. So, I decided to think up a new strategy and, in the meantime, I restarted the whole game because I missed a couple things in previous missions. When I got to 5 again, I breezed right through it and got the achievement.

"someone doesn't like a game that I like, suggests to person that they should kill themselves"

different strokes for different folks

A. Yes, I was possibly a bit harsh, which was why I edited it.
B. I was in no way suggesting anyone kill themselves D:
I was lamenting the fact you wouldn't be playing the game, since it's a great one.

Just completed it (on Hard, and got the no-killing achievement, too).

The peak of the game? Five words: "Objective Updated: Restart the Generator." I wasn't scared for most of the game, but holy shit that sequence was masterful. That's how it should be. Four rooms and a long corridor. One furious alien. A flame thrower low on juice. And then pitch black, and backtracking.

A lot of flaws, but the highs were bananas. I give IGN no stars for their review..

I actually made that sequence harder for myself. I somehow
left the first room without hitting the switch, proceeded to the next room, fought off the Alien like 5 times (inuring him to the flamethrower the more I did it) before just backtracking down the hall in sheer frustration because I couldn't get the generator to open up a prompt when I looked at it after doing EVERYTHING else in the room.

So I get back to the room, the Alien comes bursting out from a pyramid of furniture, I hit him in the dome with a molotov - and there it is, right in fucking front of me - a giant switch I have to pull down. THEN I have to sneak back in the pitch black, and fight him off twice more before I get enough time to power the thing back on

That SUCKED.

LowParry

The save points are also incredibly inconsistent. The missions/objectives are repetitive. "Go here, but avoid the alien." Okay, I get it. ALIEN FUCKING SPAWNS OUT OF NOWHERE, NO CHANCE TO ESCAPE. YOU'RE FUCKED.

Well, how far you in?

Chiggs

Gold Member

Did you even research the game before buying?

LowParry

I'm not too far in. I'm at the part
where you have to go back to the girl and man you were separated from from the beginning because what's-her-face is hurt.

Ah okay. Honestly give the game a real chance. Most people so far from where you're at are diggin' the game. You playing on Hard mode?

Interfectum

This is the ONE thing that is holding me off from purchasing this game. I absolutely LOVE roaming all the side stuff and soaking in all the atmosphere, taking my time. This game looks like it oozes atmosphere. But the fact that you are constantly being hunted while you are doing that stuff is a major turnoff.

Constantly being hunted is the entire point of the game. If you were comfortable taking a tour of the ship the game would be boring and pointless.

Pilgrimzero

Ah okay. Honestly give the game a real chance. Most people so far from where you're at are diggin' the game. You playing on Hard mode?

I am sort of stuck here as well. As soon as I grab the item it spawns behind me and kills me when i try to leave the room. Every time.

Protein

Banned
This game is amazing so far on Hard mode. I've only been killed 3 times. Once by humans and twice by Working Joes, but the third time I just suicided to reattempt. I'm in the
Medibay
and the alien isn't giving me any problems, but then again I've skimmed this thread for great tips. Thanks by the way.

I'm taking massive amounts of time to learn escape routes, hiding areas, using tools to dupe the alien, and advancing extremely cautious. I'll hide in a closet for minutes if I have to. I'm playing this like an actual survival horror game.

Really enjoying this game, I haven't seen much of the Alien outside of the beginning of the game. I can definitely hear it in the vents above stalking me.

Funny moment thus far was me thinking I was being clever sneaking a few inches around a Joe. Only for me not notice the vent above where the Alien was waiting for me to finish me off.

I was laughing too hard to be mad.

That was one of the lowest points for me. I was already at the "Really, again?" point by then. Maybe I'll have a different opinion on my second playthrough.

LowParry

man, nobody? first post on this page and nobody...

I'm not trying to Troll.

Does the Alien teleport, or not?

I've never seen a case of it. Other than random walks and all the sudden the damn thing jumps from a vent in front of me an...well you know the rest of the story.

Joker85

Banned
Maybe I just suck at this game but it feels like the Alien knows where I am and just does a bee line to me the second I leave a hiding spot.
I'm on the part where you have to find the keycard from the Doctor's office, and as soon as the Alien drops from the ceiling tiles I hide under the table, then go to the little box to hide in.... and sit there. Doesn't matter how long I wait or how far I let the dude go off my radar monitor, the second I open it up and try to make a move sure enough you hear those stupid footsteps and the fucker instantly starts making his way back to me, I've made it inside the office once and gotten the update to the mission that sends me back out and around to search more rooms, but it just seems impossible to travel with the Alien on patrol. The second you leave your hiding spot, no matter how far away he is when you do so.... THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP dead.

frontovik

Banned

I'm not trying to Troll.

Well, I think it does.

This occurred to me at the medical pavilion. I was following the Alien from a distance while it was lurking around the hallway. I then watched it disappeared into a vent. At that moment, I went into a nearby room and was instantly ambushed by the Alien as soon as the door opened.

shiba5

Maybe I just suck at this game but it feels like the Alien knows where I am and just does a bee line to me the second I leave a hiding spot.
I'm on the part where you have to find the keycard from the Doctor's office, and as soon as the Alien drops from the ceiling tiles I hide under the table, then go to the little box to hide in.... and sit there. Doesn't matter how long I wait or how far I let the dude go off my radar monitor, the second I open it up and try to make a move sure enough you hear those stupid footsteps and the fucker instantly starts making his way back to me, I've made it inside the office once and gotten the update to the mission that sends me back out and around to search more rooms, but it just seems impossible to travel with the Alien on patrol. The second you leave your hiding spot, no matter how far away he is when you do so.... THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP dead.

If you stay in the lockers, you will die. You can't wait it out because it will start checking the area you are hiding more and more frequently.
You have to keep moving. It's better to keep a wall, table, bed, etc... between you and it.

shiba5

I'm not trying to Troll.

I finished the game and never felt like it did anything cheap - unless you count a few scripted "jump scare" appearances. It does move very very fast when it's up in the vents so it can appear at any time.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The bass impact on my Sony Pulses have paid for itself with this game. When its thrashing in vents above me or walking with those heavy steps, there's just enough rumble in the phones that it gives it a crazy verisimilitude.

I finished the game and never felt like it did anything cheap - unless you count a few scripted "jump scare" appearances. It does move very very fast when it's up in the vents so it can appear at any time.

I've never felt like it teleported either. It's a fast mover in the vents for sure though.

The one time I actually ran into while still in a vent was the scariest thing every. Because I thought I was completly safe. I guess too much noise and it will actually start crawling into the floor with you.

Having some trouble on mission 16. Got a bit worn out so I thought I'll come back to it later.

opinion/speculation, spoilers up to mission 16:
I hope the next couple missions lead up to a good finale. I feel like it's definitely true that the game has some false finishes. It feels like the developers had a bunch of different finales and escape plans they wanted to do, and they just said 'hell with it, we'll do em all one after another!'. This is a strange issue for sure! The game has too much effort put into the design! You know what would have been amazing instead though? Multiple endings meaning these final missions to do with the Anesidora and the Torrens were different paths you could choose to take on your way to the end of the game, leading variably to things like Ripley's death/survival, the alien species getting loose into wider humanity, the aliens being successfully left in space and so on. That would have tipped this game over the edge into one of the best games I've ever played I think.

Ok man because you have a Shiba for an icon and I have a Shiba as well, I'll take your word for it , thanks.

sosage

I'm not trying to Troll.

I'm only in the first third of the game (playing Hard and taking my time), but I haven't seen the Alien teleport when it is on foot and searching for me. By design, it doesn't have to*.

What the Alien will do is follow you section by section. If a level has two sections,
medibay is a good example
, sneaking into the second section while the Alien is distracted in the first doesn't mean you're safe. It is going to follow you into the next section and stalk you from there. There seems to be a maximum distance it will allow itself to be away from the player. So you're always having to keep tabs on where it is. There's no ditching the creature across the map and skipping around picking up items and shit. You're never safe.

*=Its walk speed seems to be quicker than the player's (longer strides?) and its run speed is, obviously, very quick. The environment designs are also claustrophobic and tight, with a lot of crap laying in the way to weave through. Add on top the fact that you're likely slowly crouch walking a significant amount of the time. You will not be trying to outrun this thing. I have doubts that it has to "teleport" to keep up.

What I have seen the Alien do is get frustrated and use the ceiling vents to "reset" itself somewhere else. Design wise, yeah, it's choosing a respawn (and yeah, technically "teleporting" to a new spot, but not in the negative way people will make that sound). Considering that it is being noisy as hell up there giving away where it is heading and when it finally drops down it makes a loud grand entrance (and if you happen to be in the same room, its drop down animation gives you time to peace the fuck out around the corner), I don't consider that cheap or unfair at all.

Some of the reviews/previews have made the Alien sound like it was ridiculously hard. It's been challenging so far, but not unfair. Every death has been my own fault. The Alien may as well be wearing clown shoes that honk and a haooga horn, because it is never...ever...stealthy. Meaning if I happen to turn the corner and fall into its loving embrace, it's not because it was silent or it suddenly appeared out of thin air.

Then again, like I said, I'm only a third of the way through. Hopefully this experience holds up until the end. So far, it's been really fucking great.

Can you imagine if the thing actually moved like it did in ALIEN?

Yeah, it was a lot slower there. But it was also fucking SILENT until it was too late. It made almost NO noise while moving in that movie. It was just THERE suddenly. Grinning at you and hissing.

People are mad about it teleporting now. Imagine the game where it almost never runs - but if you forget to have your motion tracker out, you could literally walk directly into it if you weren't being careful.

They also never have it blended in with the surroundings, either. No scene of it unfurling itself from a bulkhead or some piping.

They could have made this thing EVEN SCARIER and more unpredictable. The fact it basically stomps around and growls (One of the things I hate most about Alien Resurrection - it made them roar like lions) dials back a lot of what made it a really effective monster in the other movies.

In fact, these xenomorphs really do act more like the ones in Resurrection than the ones in the trilogy.

Teknoman

Can you imagine if the thing actually moved like it did in ALIEN?

Yeah, it was a lot slower there. But it was also fucking SILENT until it was too late. It made almost NO noise while moving in that movie. It was just THERE suddenly. Grinning at you and hissing.

I think what makes it creepier than most Alien games is that it stands up instead of moving on all fours / crouched. At least thats what gets me. It just looks unnatural moving in a good way.

JRW

That section is brutal. The final part of it when you have to escape to the exit had me on the edge of my seat between the lighting and the alien and humans patroling the u shaped hall.

Yea I spent a decent amount of time dying when trying to escape that area, but I like the randomness of it because on my successful escape attempt the Alien was attacking the humans and I just kept walking (not running) to the exit without stopping, I could hear his footsteps getting closer as I approached the door.

Scoot2005

Banned
Is there a consensus that the Alien spawns and/or teleports magically?
because if it does, strangely, I don't want to buy the game :(
from some video clips it seems to move in magical ways and that would drive me insane no matter how good the game is, otherwise.

It WILL show up if you make to much noise.

Carm

Finished the game on pc, on hard, about 45 mins ago. I liked it a lot, don't think it dethrones Wolfenstein for me but damn close. Didn't kill any humans so got the achievement for that. Er, well... I, didn't kill any humans, it's not my fault I"m a klutz while stealthing, dropping stuff occasionally, making noise.

Ghosted Mission 5 with zero reload, which was pretty tense. Quite a few high points, Mission 5 for sure, 10 as well, and the the last few missions are pretty tense, not so much scary but great nonetheless. I see some people say some missions are boring, and I disagree, some of those missions are needed and are usually right after the really tense ones, to help bring you down some.

Save points are a completely non issue, more than enough in each mission. Anyone complaining about save points, don't listen for them, or really explore their environment. Never lost more than about 5 mins on a death, which didn't happen that much, and was all my fault.

Never got pulled out of a locker, that wasn't my fault. Was able to keep the Alien at bay constantly with the flamethrower, except in, I believe, certain scripted sections where it won't back down immediately in some missions. The Alien never magically teleported in front of me. Does it "teleport" around in the ceiling vents occasionally, most definitely but I don't think of that as a negative.

Story was so so, not horrible, but not a stand out. Game never really felt to long, finished in 29 hours, 3-4 of which I was playing the Alien testing it's AI to see if it really learns (doesn't seem to).

Dunno if I wanna go back and grab the ID's I missions of the Nostromo Logs, missing 5 of those. I'll play Last Survivor and Crew Expendable later in the week. Hopefully the dlc that is coming for Survivor mode, includes new areas.

The biggest negative I can probably give it right now, and I'm probably in the minority is the sound while it's in the ceiling vents. I think I would have preferred it to make almost no noise in the ceiling vents. Then you would have to use the motion tracker a lot more, which I didn't use a whole lot, in the beginning, just went off sound for positioning.

Great job Creative Assembly and Sega for letting them make this type of game.

Oh, and for anyone that finished and gets this reference, fuck rain coats.

Edit: I did find it funny, spoiler don't remember mission so don't read unless finished.
Cracked me up the only real jump scare in the game wasn't any human/robot or Alien, instead it was the room blowing up and getting caught on fire when you get near it. Only time I jumped in the game.

Edit2: Also I was crouching probably 80% of the time, so yea, don't run/ or walk much and you should be fine if you just pay attention to its patterns.

Edit3: I also wanted to comment on others saying the game is a lot of trial and error which I vehemently disagree with. It's only trial and error if you're an impatient gamer, or not paying attention to things going on in the game (map layouts,enemy placement/routines).

jfoul

I finished Isolation today after 26 hours, and I really liked it. I was pleasantly surprised by the length of the game. A handful of times I felt like the ending was close, but the game is almost relentless in thrusting you into dire situations. The game was dark and grim from start to finish, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Zomba13

Edit: I did find it funny, spoiler don't remember mission so don't read unless finished.
Cracked me up the only real jump scare in the game wasn't any human/robot or Alien, instead it was the room blowing up and getting caught on fire when you get near it. Only time I jumped in the game.

I jumped at that and the TV blowing up right at the start of the game.

That jump you mention though is completely optional. If you don't go into that room you miss it.

I screamed "FUCK" at the same time Amanda did!

blackadde

the alien definitely seems to teleport from time to time

i'm in the med bay area
grab the keycard to open the door [2505]
tense moment running to door to open
open door hello alien
alien why are you in the next locked area waiting right outside of the door
alien why are you eating me

Top Bottom