• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

I just finished mission 10. Time wise, how much is left?

I'm enjoying the game more than expected, and only have been frustrated a couple times. The xeno AI is great, but occasionally I found it put me into an impossible situation. Bound to happen.

Otherwise, just watched alien 1 and it is amazing how many details they got right, down to the ladder style, orifice style vents, sweat on everyone's faces, colours. This team did a hell of a job.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Not gonna lie, that's the only thing that's really gotten me this entire time. Everything else is just really tense.
I think that's the only game I ever remember freaking out and waving my hands in surprise/shock over after that happened. I don't think I should ever try this with Oculus.

Zomba13

Not gonna lie, that's the only thing that's really gotten me this entire time. Everything else is just really tense.

I really like how few jump scares there were in this game. I find that good atmosphere and creepy visuals are much more effective than a cheap "BOO!" moment.

Anybody ran into any *random* spots where the alien might spawn? I'm pretty sure this game just has segments where the alien spawns but i'd like to hear if there's any random places where you might be looking around to much ect....

I'm gonna have to see some video evidence of this teleportation power Alien Isolation has introduced to the Alien species. If true, that's some canon disrespecting horseshit. I'll renounce this game forever.

EGM1966

man, nobody? first post on this page and nobody...

I'm not trying to Troll.

Does the Alien teleport, or not?
It doesn't teleport unfairly. It does move from section to section with you and you can't fully ditch it. It's also super fast.

If you keep stopping to a minimum and play sensibly you shouldn't die too often and it should rarely feel cheap.

You can be unlucky though and I think that throws people wanting 100% dependable outcomes. The Alien can randomly decide to backtrack or change speed and if you've decided to move because it was moving away at steady speed it can be a bummer - but that element of unpredictability is where the extra tension comes from.

Norci7

the alien definitely seems to teleport from time to time

i'm in the med bay area
grab the keycard to open the door [2505]
tense moment running to door to open
open door hello alien
alien why are you in the next locked area waiting right outside of the door
alien why are you eating me

Yeah, that could happen, check the motion tracker before opening the door.

I'm gonna have to see some video evidence of this teleportation power Alien Isolation has introduced to the Alien species. If true, that's some canon disrespecting horseshit. I'll renounce this game forever.

There is actually a simple totally canon explanation for this. Even if it does teleport (Though I still say it does not). But it is a spoiler for the end game.

There are many aliens on board as witnessed in chp 14 when you visit and destroy the breeding nest

This might be considered a spoiler, but it's mostly gameplay related so it's a low risk highlight unless you don't want to know anything ahead of you:

I've seen it said that, after a point the game when the Alien shows up, you're never without it again. That's, uh, not true at all. There are extended sections and entire missions where the Alien isn't a factor. I'd say at least 1/3rd of the game, the Alien isn't present.

There is actually a simple totally canon explanation for this. Even if it does teleport (Though I still say it does not). But it is a spoiler for the end game.

I was just joking, I was going to post that I don't think the teleportation is actually present in the game, and is just the reaction of people who aren't using all their tools to detect the alien, and I thought I'd be a wiseguy instead. I didn't highlight your spoiler since I'm only on mission 16 but I think I might know what you say in it anyway.

Zomba13

The Alien does "teleport" in a way but not in an unfair way, more of in a way to keep the game tense and keep the antagonist close.

If he drops down somewhere and starts going the opposite direction you need to go you can sneak past him and get a little bit without him but eventually he'll go back into vents (you will hear it and/or see it on the motion tracker) and he will end up somewhere closer to you. This is by design as it wouldn't be a very fun survival horror if the main threat just stuck around the start of an area and didn't track you deeper in.

It never "teleports" on top of you (unless it glitches out and you get floor shark Xenomorph). It will end up in vents above/below you some times but it'll also show on your motion tracker before actually dropping down. When it pings once/twice that indicates a new motion signature that you should check out.

I never had an issue with the Xenomorph (normal). I also use pretty good quality headphones for all gaming and am well aware of things like spatial awareness in video games and sound direction and all that junk so I never felt the game was unfair in that regard. Also crawl don't run. Running causes accidents. Always keep an eye on your motion tracker. Don't have it out when the alien is like a feet or two away from you and you're in a locker/box or behind cover. Things too close to you can hear the beeps.

This might be considered a spoiler, but it's mostly gameplay related so it's a low risk highlight unless you don't want to know anything ahead of you:

I've seen it said that, after a point the game when the Alien shows up, you're never without it again. That's, uh, not true at all. There are extended sections and entire missions where the Alien isn't a factor. I'd say at least 1/3rd of the game, the Alien isn't present.

I was just joking, I was going to post that I don't think the teleportation is actually present in the game, and is just the reaction of people who aren't using all their tools to detect the alien, and I thought I'd be a wiseguy instead. I didn't highlight your spoiler since I'm only on mission 16 but I think I might know what you say in it anyway.

Ya, if you are in chp 16 it is safe to read.

Zomba13

I can't wait for the consumer version of the Oculus so I can replay this on Hard.

It's honestly tempted me more than any other thing to buy the current version but I swore to myself that I'd wait for the first consumer version at least. I'd probably be able to still max it our while also on the rift with my current rig. I get a near constant 120fps at max right now anyway.

valkyre

is it possible to remove the lower left HUD elements?

I mean it is stupid to have control schemes on the screen constantly! Why should there be a button prompt for using flares or any other equipment the whole time? The game itself is pretty old school and unforgiving, so I dont understand how "press Square to light flare" in your HUD, is in line with the rest of the game...

can i remove that crap?

EGM1966

is it possible to remove the lower left HUD elements?

I mean it is stupid to have control schemes on the screen constantly! Why should there be a button prompt for using flares or any other equipment the whole time? The game itself is pretty old school and unforgiving, so I dont understand how "press Square to light flare" in your HUD, is in line with the rest of the game...

can i remove that crap?
I don't think you can suppress HUD but I'd like that ability too. Maybe they can add it with photo mode...

At least it's fairly small but it would be great to lose it entirely.

jfoul

I'm not trying to Troll.

My first play-through was 26 hours and I never experienced a teleporting xenomorph. However, It does travel through the vents very fast if you make a lot of noise, or run.

I have a pretty nice 7.1 surround setup, so I could always hear where it was coming and going. I could always pinpoint where the alien was on the map. Entering & exiting vents, footsteps on the ground, and banging around in the vents.

Moff

I'm not trying to Troll.

in my experience, only when its outside your range scanner range. it despawns as soon as it leaves your scanner range, and will respawn randomly before entering your scanner range.
I never had it teleporting when it was in my scanner.

that's how I see it, and I think thats the perfect solution.
I also think that if you hide somewhere, the AI is guided to walk in front / neary ou. the AI knows where you are, but has its own rules for being allowed to actually find you. this, too, I think, is pretty much perfect and leads to many tense situations.

Ricker

Funny that bringing the game down to easy makes absolutly no difference at all...in fact,in the stupid section I am trying to do in Mission 15,to get in the Ambulance room,it's even harder lol...I though it would give me a few more seconds with the hacking tool but it doesn't...

And the Alien does teleport,I found a closer save to where I have to do the hacking and now he is around that save,if I reload the previous save,on the other side,he is around that save...

Interfectum

I imagine everyone saying the game is too hard, not that you are, keeps running which you should never do. There is never a time in this game where you should or have to run. Composure is rule #1.

I agree. I shouldn't have ran. I knew the save point was so close, I didn't know where the alien was and I decided to make a break for it. I wasn't even mad (lost about 15 minutes of gameplay) when it happened because it was so cool. I fucked up and the alien got me.

bosseye

Blimey, this is brilliant. Scarey darey stuff indeed.

Not too far in, just got to the first
proper alien encounter in the medbay getting supplies for Taylor
and bloody hell its so tense. I spent literally 20 minutes cowering under a table trying to make my move to another room but not able to force myself to do it. Terrifying stuff. I'm trying to find
Morley's keycard,
not sure where to go which makes every wrong direction a potential killer.

And the alien AI seems pretty clever. I lost my nerve and ran once and the Alien was instantly alerted, but it didn't follow me, it ran towards where I was going - I nipped under a table, just in the nick of time I thought, but then it bent down and got me.

The only minor gripe I have so far is the lack of shadow cast by Ripley. Its the only thing that mars the fantastic environments.

5amshift

Banned
Total let down of the year for me with this game. Yeah, I expected to have to sneak around a bit, but the whole story so far (roughly 2 hours in) has been so boring. I almost fell asleep on my couch playing. I actually finally made first encounter with the alien
hours fucking later after starting the game
and finally the game picked up just a small bit.

I doubt I'll be finishing the game and thank god I got it pre-owned so I can just return it after a few more days if nothing else exciting happens.

Melchiah

I played the first two chapters yesterday, and I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the retro sci-fi look of the game. The lighting is amazing as well. Playing in the dark with headphones on certainly increased the tension. I'm just not sure whether I want to keep playing using the headphones, as that way I miss the radar bleep coming from the DS4, which is a feature I'd like to have.

Did the cutscenes stutter for anyone else on the PS4? It was particularly jarring in the opening cinematic.

EDIT:
Total let down of the year for me with this game. Yeah, I expected to have to sneak around a bit, but the whole story so far (roughly 2 hours in) has been so boring. I almost fell asleep on my couch playing. I actually finally made first encounter with the alien

I doubt I'll be finishing the game and thank god I got it pre-owned so I can just return it after a few more days if nothing else exciting happens.

I personally loved the slow start, which built tension marvelously, just like the original film. For me horror is more about atmosphere than action. Anticipating the monster to appear can often be more thrilling than actually encountering it.

GrizzNKev

Banned

That's so weird. I ended up playing all night with my heart pounding, just totally sucked into the world of Alien.

Interfectum

That's so weird. I ended up playing all night with my heart pounding, just totally sucked into the world of Alien.

It's a AAA game that threw out a lot of rules people have come to expect with a big release. It's going to be divisive.

Personally I love this game. Probably the most spooked I've been since the original Resident Evil (sans P.T. of course).

Mohonky

i'm in the med bay area
open door hello alien

Yeh I had a weird one just a second ago, same area. Go out, look to my right, alien down the end of a corridor in another room. Ok, so I go left, turn 90 degrees and next thing I know I am standing in the middle of the hallway when the fucker walks out of the room right beside me, he was like 50m away no more than 4 seconds afo. Wtf?

I find myself having bit of a love hate affair with the game. The atmosphere is brilliant, I love the visuals, I love the audio, I love that 80's sci fi recreation of the Alien universe, but two things really annoy me.

First is the sight detection. Sometimes I am thinking nope, I am too far away / I am in shadows / I barely ducked my head over an object / Saw alien ages away and think I am safe, but nope. Spotted. Then other times, I've been at the aliens feet, or in a synthetics peripheral vision at close and nothing, they dont suspect shit. It doesnt feel like its consistent. You think you're because in previous encounters you would be but sometimes the enemies just turn psychic. It leads to some really frustration deaths.

The other thing is the checkpoints. Holy shit are they bad. Yeh I get it, build tension yadda yadda, puts emphasis on the fear of getting caught out, i get it, but holy fucking shit does doing the same damn tasks over and over again become tiresome because you missed a save station or the enemies did that shit where they start turning psychic. Repeating the same area over and over again or repeating mundane tasks repeatedly because there are no checkpoints except a scant few manual saves around is really really frustrating. I've only been able to play the game in small chunks because of this, I simly get bored or repeating too much shit. Surely they could habe implemented a check point system?

Well the bastard Alien has made the wall vents a no go anymore. I have tried this one section ,which I think is about the halfway point of the game, about 5 times and he always goes to the vents. It got me twice when i was biding and it decided to patrol the vents and it got me 3 times hiding in one of the vertical openings and just snatching Ripley up.

gizio

I died for the first time yesterday night, i was hitting the wall with the wrench to lure a guy and dispatch him, guess what? A second later the Alien appears from the vent hole right above me, never felt so dumb in my entire gaming career, this game is so good.

Ricker

Quit while you are ahead man,it gets more and more frustrating as you go along...now I am getting a nice game over because I have like 20 seconds to do something or else bye bye...I escaped the Alien for 15 missions,fought those annoying Working Joe's,got shot at by humans and survived but now a fucking event on a timer...sigh.

Can't recommend this game to anyone with low patience or get frustrated by repeated deaths sorry...like they say,''I'm getting too old for this shit'' lol...

derFeef

Sometimes I don't know what the game wants me to do and I need to die/push forward further/die again to make progress - that I don't like at all. But kudos to the game for commiting to it.

i decided to see last night what triggers the alien to come around, so i ran in circles at one of the tram stations, dude came charging out of a vent right for me after a few seconds, screw this game im gonna go buy some new pants.

For some reason I thought I was safe before going to Medical in the beginning of the game. After sneaking past the joes I started running and then I heard something, turned around to see the alien come out of a vent and eat me.

Threw my headphones off. Gf laughed at me

dis game

i'm in the med bay area
open door hello alien
Its a slendeman alien
But it wouldn't be surprising if it did that

I think the biggest surprise for me out of this game is how they got 15-20 hours out of this concept without it feeling like it overstayed its welcome too much. I know some people think it drags a little near the end, but I was nervous that I'd be burned out by hour six. I'm almost done, around 20 hours in, and I still am hooked.

Quit while you are ahead man,it gets more and more frustrating as you go along...now I am getting a nice game over because I have like 20 seconds to do something or else bye bye...I escaped the Alien for 15 missions,fought those annoying Working Joe's,got shot at by humans and survived but now a fucking event on a timer...sigh.

Can't recommend this game to anyone with low patience or get frustrated by repeated deaths sorry...like they say,''I'm getting too old for this shit'' lol...

bad advice

the hacking games are easy :) just stick with it, when they add a 5th icon at the end its a little bit tougher, but should be able to clear it almost every time.. maybe it will take 2 - 3 tries

So I got to a tiny closed off corridor only accessible to the player by elevator and by circular vent, with the vent locked unless I unlock it. A single ceiling vent for the alien. One save point. One box to hide in.

I realized that the alien did not roam this area normally, however he crawled around in the vents endlessly. He only came out if I made a lot of noise like slamming my wrench into the wall or firing my gun.

With everything so restricted and predictable, I thought that this would be a perfect testing ground to test tactics and the alien's limits. I must have gone through it 20 times by now. It's really fun to hassle the alien without repercussions.

Things I've learned:
  • A sure way to cause the alien to start roaming even if I hadnt made any noise is to stay completely idle. Even walking slowly in circles was enough, as long as I kept moving.
  • If I put a pipe bomb underneath the vent before I summon him, after he jumps out he literally just disappears. Teleports back into the vents, no animation.
  • If I put a flare right under his exit vent, he immediately jumps back into the vent after climbing down. Then he comes back down again 2 seconds later and actually checks out the flare.
  • Smoke bombs make him almost blind. This is when I sneak up behind him and zapp him in the ass cheek with my stun rod just for shits and giggles.
  • On that note, using the stun rod on the ceiling is enough to summon the alien even though it makes almost no noise.
  • Acid actually flies off of him when I shoot him. Never noticed that before.
  • The dot on the motion tracker can actually get stuck for a few seconds and not accurately report alien position.

Ricker

bad advice

the hacking games are easy :) just stick with it, when they add a 5th icon at the end its a little bit tougher, but should be able to clear it almost every time.. maybe it will take 2 - 3 tries

My problem now is that I know I have like 20 seconds,so I am even more nervous,I try and go faster and sometimes I release the lock signal on top of running out of time with the symbols..on the others I could just retry over and over but not this one,which sucks...I will try a few more times but I think I hit my wall with that hacking event...I mean I dropped it down to easy and it does nothing...why have an easy mode if it doesnt help with stuff like this,they could give you more time to complete it or something...oh well.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I cant tell if lowering the difficulty to normal has made the Alien easier to avoid or if I've just gotten better. It doesn't appear to be behaving much differently. Maybe it is but it's a subtle difference. Either way it feels less frustrating now but still real tense. Enjoying this game a lot.

KorrZ

The save point system in this game is great. Sure it can be frustrating when you have to repeat sections but overall I think the trade off is worth it. The amount of tension that comes from going awhile without a save when you know instant death could be around any corner is great.

ViviOggi

The save point system in this game is great. Sure it can be frustrating when you have to repeat sections but overall I think the trade off is worth it. The amount of tension that comes from going awhile without a save when you know instant death could be around any corner is great.
Yup, wouldn't have it any other way. That feeling of relief upon reaching a new terminal, especially during the first few hours where routine hasn't settled in yet, is second to none.

The hacking minigame stopping people from progressing is weird, you've been taught to solve those all game. I really enjoy them actually, which is rare with these things.

My problem now is that I know I have like 20 seconds,so I am even more nervous,I try and go faster and sometimes I release the lock signal on top of running out of time with the symbols..on the others I could just retry over and over but not this one,which sucks...I will try a few more times but I think I hit my wall with that hacking event...I mean I dropped it down to easy and it does nothing...why have an easy mode if it doesnt help with stuff like this,they could give you more time to complete it or something...oh well.

you got to chapter 15, you can do it! just take your time and don't rush/panic.. thats what was killing me at first, id get all nervous as id pay attention to the timer, and id get a symbol wrong or something as a result

you've already cleared out way way harder things then any of the hacking games!

Playing mission 6,
trying to escape the medical facility and the Alien respawn is starting to get on my nerves.

Not really enjoying the game so far, if it wasn't a Alien game I would have dropped the game by now.

Does it get better or the
Alien respawn BS still continues?

Liamc723

I've just hit chapter 5 and so far I love this game, except for one thing, the save system, which unfortunately is fucking terrible.

Top Bottom