• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Romulus | Official Trailer

jonnyp

This is so bad that the audience will be rooting for the Aliens to kill all those kids in the first 15 minutes of the movie.

I remember being so excited for Prometheus. The trailer looked awesome, the faux Ted Talk with Weyland was cool and then I went to the cinema and almost facepalmed myself into a coma and literally wanted every single one of those morons to die horribly by the end.

clarky

Gold Member
I remember being so excited for Prometheus. The trailer looked awesome, the faux Ted Talk with Weyland was cool and then I went to the cinema and almost facepalmed myself into a coma and literally wanted every single one of those morons to die horribly by the end.
The first half hour or so was great. Then it completely shits the bed. Terrible film

jufonuk

not tag worthy
You.. went? Holy shit, someone else went! I've never met anyone else who went! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It was so good. The time and effort them lads put in is something I doubt we'll see again, pure dedication.

Such a brilliant experience.

When there's a seven foot xenomorph that looks pretty damn real and making the right noises creeping up on them, they didn't care. And when your a teenager yourself, neither did you.. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Man, Alien War was something else.

I saw that yesterday, and.. okay, I'll eat my hat, I'm getting a touch looking forward to it

This is what's selling me too and they actually seem like a dedicated bunch to the franchise.
I went I was loving it. Decided to hang around in one section on the alleyway where the xeno is throwing or tipping stuff over I stood there and the actor decided to charge at me. In that moment it was real to me dammit. That and someone got dragged out of the lift in one part and it wasn’t an actor. But I have to believe it was a member of the public.
In fact at the end of the “ride” the marine told everyone not to mention that it happened and he apologised to the group of friends of the person who got dragged out by the Xeno.

So many great parts to that experience.

My favourite was when we escaped on a ship the place is dark then the strobes come on and a xeno is walking between the aisle and the marines start blasting the shit out of it and it makes the screams.

I’m sorry this ride needs to come back. It was one of the greatest things ever.

Last edited:

calistan

Alien Covenant basically killed the franchise for me, so I'm not expecting much from this one.

How did she not realise it was the evil robot that survived at the end of Covenant? I could have sworn it was set up so she could find out (she stabs the evil one through the cheek with a key) but that part amounted to nothing. I'll never rewatch that POS to find out, but it seemed even more ridiculous than the typical Alien plot at the time.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Alien Covenant basically killed the franchise for me, so I'm not expecting much from this one.

How did she not realise it was the evil robot that survived at the end of Covenant? I could have sworn it was set up so she could find out (she stabs the evil one through the cheek with a key) but that part amounted to nothing. I'll never rewatch that POS to find out, but it seemed even more ridiculous than the typical Alien plot at the time.
Honestly I'm just ignoring those 2 movies, anytime you apply any critical thinking on them it falls apart and just makes me angry, as far as I'm concerned that's some alternative marvel universe shite and didn't happen in the Alien/Aliens timeline, someone at Fox needed to have read that script and told Scott to fuck off and take a wise, ain't no one is gonna buy a camp android making the fecking Alien!?

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Pedro Pascal getting some work here too?

This is a joke I do not think Pedro is in this.

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Pedro Pascal getting some work here too.

Luke Skywalker GIF by Star Wars

Dr.Morris79

I went I was loving it. Decided to hang around in one section on the alleyway where the xeno is throwing or tipping stuff over I stood there and the actor decided to charge at me. In that moment it was real to me dammit. That and someone got dragged out of the lift in one part and it wasn’t an actor. But I have to believe it was a member of the public.
In fact at the end of the “ride” the marine told everyone not to mention that it happened and he apologised to the group of friends of the person who got dragged out by the Xeno.

So many great parts to that experience.

My favourite was when we escaped on a ship the place is dark then the strobes come on and a xeno is walking between the aisle and the marines start blasting the shit out of it and it makes the screams.

I’m sorry this ride needs to come back. It was one of the greatest things ever.

That exact thing happend to us :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The best bit was when you all had to get in the Dropship for evac, after it 'landed', the back door ripped open, strobes going off, a bit of smoke with an alien peering through the door. I've never seen people rush an exit on the other end so fast!

Me and a mate got stuck at the back :messenger_unamused:

And I swear to this day whilst we were in the dropship belting up one was by my feet and the back of the chair doing that breathing noise they do.. I was tripping, my mate kept saying to look and I couldn't do it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

We need stuff like this again!

Although it won't be in the London Trocadero, it's going to be a mosque 🤷‍♂️

jason10mm

Gold Member
Ffs whats with that cunt? At this point i swear there must be at least twin Pedro's kicking around. No one single person can be in so much its not possible
It's pretty common. An actor gets a bit of fire, then gets flooded with offers and just doesn't say no. They usually burn out after a year or 2 and go back to a slow rhythm. But if he wants to work 24/7/365 and has the offers, he can be in a surprising amount of stuff until casting directors tire of him.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Final Trailer.

jeeeessssuuuuuusssssss kkkaaayyyyrrriiiisstttt, way to give away most of the film in the trailer!!! I mean, we all kinda know how its all gonna go down, but still, that's too much.

Though that "fookin 'ell, suttaa in dah watah" guy buying it will be a blessing to my ears, that's about the worst accent on earth, other than that really high ptich fluting Scandinavian one :p

Billbofet

This trailer shows how 85% of the people die in this movie. WTF?!?!

Also, I hope the movie explains why the crew are all 22 years old - perhaps the ship is the SS TikTok.

The more I see on this, the more I want to wait for streaming 10 days later. I don't think this will do well at all. Hope to be wrong, but why give it all away in the trailer, dumbshits.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
I don't think this will do well at all. Hope to be wrong, but why give it all away in the trailer, dumbshits.
You don't think this will do well because the trailer has obvious spoilers? Almost all trailers today leave little room for the imagination, probably because the market generally responds well to trailers cut like this.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
You don't think this will do well because the trailer has obvious spoilers? Almost all trailers today leave little room for the imagination, probably because the market generally responds well to trailers cut like this.
This is the hell that is my life. Wife and kids CAN NOT wait for a film to answer (or not) their questions. Every single film..."whats that guy going to do", "will that person die?", "why did that person do that thing?"

My response is either "we are both watching the SAME FILM, I don't know either!" or, if I've seen the film already, I just give them the entire plot beforehand to limit their chatter.

near

Gold Member
This is the hell that is my life. Wife and kids CAN NOT wait for a film to answer (or not) their questions. Every single film..."whats that guy going to do", "will that person die?", "why did that person do that thing?"

My response is either "we are both watching the SAME FILM, I don't know either!" or, if I've seen the film already, I just give them the entire plot beforehand to limit their chatter.
They're in the majority crowd of consumers. Casual audiences want to know what they’re watching before they watch it. It’s mostly enthusiasts that really enjoy the mystery or vagueness of trailers. It’s rare that a trailer will misdirect you, but a pleasant surprise when it occurs every now and then. It's soooo annoying when family and friends want to add live commentary, I find it so distracting lmao.

Porcile

At least we know that "There's sumfing in the fuckin' wa'er" dies relatively early. Oh wait we basically know that everyone dies. Unless this film pulls some miraculous unforeseen twist out its ass we essentially know the entire plot and sequence of events already just from that trailer.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
At least we know that "There's sumfing in the fuckin' wa'er" dies relatively early. Oh wait we basically know that everyone dies. Unless this film pulls some miraculous unforeseen twist out its ass we essentially know the entire plot and sequence of events already just from that trailer.
It's Alien. Everyone must die except Ripley/Ripley look-alike, and maybe a cat, that's how this shit normally goes.

Billbofet

I don't think the trailer will impact at all how well it does. For me, it just made it something I can wait to stream, that's all.
The reason I don't think it will do well is we've been burned too many times with this IP.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Trailer looks decent but I have no illusions that this will be good. Seems like what Disney tried to do with TFA which was a soft reboot with a new cast. I'll be passing on this.

Porcile

It's Alien. Everyone must die except Ripley/Ripley look-alike, and maybe a cat, that's how this shit normally goes.
Well yeah, but it has never been so plainly obvious like it is this trailer. We can guess that water guy is first, then bald Asian lady, then a mixture of the others but at that point it doesn't even matter does it? We know how this plays out.

Gp1

Given the current cast charisma I think that's maybe the first time I'll root for the Alien.

Last edited:
The first half hour or so was great. Then it completely shits the bed. Terrible film
There's some stupid shit, but I quite enjoy it and watch it fairly regularly. Probably my second favourite of the series (Aliens my fav).

The visuals and the engineers are so compelling, wish they had made a spin-off or something to explore that further.

clarky

Gold Member
There's some stupid shit, but I quite enjoy it and watch it fairly regularly. Probably my second favourite of the series (Aliens my fav).

The visuals and the engineers are so compelling, wish they had made a spin-off or something to explore that further.
Better than Alien? Come on now.........

clarky

Gold Member
You're absolutely right. Crew stuck on a ship with an Alien is the only possibility. It's not like someone can up with a different idea. What even is an idea? You seem awfully defensive.
Defensive? i think you have me all wrong.

Alien films involve Aliens hunting down and killing the entire cast barring the odd one or two people in slightly different situations. This one looks to be no different, if thats a good or a bad thing we'll have to wait and see. Historically though bar 2 movies (arguably 3 maybe) the rest are shit.

I like the director though so im crossing my fingers.

Last edited:

M0G

That exact thing happend to us :messenger_tears_of_joy:

The best bit was when you all had to get in the Dropship for evac, after it 'landed', the back door ripped open, strobes going off, a bit of smoke with an alien peering through the door. I've never seen people rush an exit on the other end so fast!

Me and a mate got stuck at the back :messenger_unamused:

And I swear to this day whilst we were in the dropship belting up one was by my feet and the back of the chair doing that breathing noise they do.. I was tripping, my mate kept saying to look and I couldn't do it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

We need stuff like this again!

Although it won't be in the London Trocadero, it's going to be a mosque 🤷‍♂️

I think I read about it in Gamesmaster magazine when I was about 12. At some point I ended up in London visiting my uncle and I insisted he take me to Alien War. It was like I was finally going to do this incredible thing... and when we got there, it was gone. But we found a Battletech there instead and that was pretty damn cool in its own right. But really jealous of anybody that got to do Alien War. It looked incredible.

jason10mm

Gold Member
You're absolutely right. Crew stuck on a ship with an Alien is the only possibility. It's not like someone can up with a different idea. What even is an idea? You seem awfully defensive.
Well, to be faaaiiiirrrr they are stuck on a SPACE STATION with an alien :p

But I'm sure there are subplots like its all a secret corp experiment or they intended to use a nearby blue collar working class planet of POCs as a testing ground for their inevitable lust for a weapons program (despite there not being a clear threat in the Aliens universe other than the blowback from said alien weapons testing). Classism is a prominent theme in the Alien series, capitalistic excess, greed, etc. Maybe we will even get a (better than Prometheus anyway) hint as to the origin of the xeno and what their ultimate evolution might be. Possibly even an introduction of a new alien species.

Though to be honest, I am SHOCKED we have not gotten a LV-426 origin series about the colonists there and how the noble wise women tried to overide the boorish toxic men about the safety of exploring the alien wreck. That little taste from Aliens (and most of that was SE stuff, IIRC) surely wasn't enough, right?

....hmm, the more I think about it, there might be a miniseries worth of content about that place after all. We can have a bit about the need to chip everyone and is that a good idea, stress of raising kids in an extreme hostile environment, the attitude and hubris of terraforming with a dorky scientist raving about some fungal spores that would be wiped out as the O2 content rose across the planet, the greed of getting coordinates to a desolate location to explore the ship, and then of course we just GOTTA see them extract a chest burster and killing the host, barricading the doors, shooting an alien and spilling acid blood through the floors, and OF COURSE, just who left that half eaten hot dog and coffee mug on the table! :p

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

But I'm sure there are subplots like its all a secret corp experiment or they intended to use a nearby blue collar working class planet of POCs as a testing ground for their inevitable lust for a weapons program (despite there not being a clear threat in the Aliens universe other than the blowback from said alien weapons testing). Classism is a prominent theme in the Alien series, capitalistic excess, greed, etc. Maybe we will even get a (better than Prometheus anyway) hint as to the origin of the xeno and what their ultimate evolution might be. Possibly even an introduction of a new alien species.

Though to be honest, I am SHOCKED we have not gotten a LV-426 origin series about the colonists there and how the noble wise women tried to overide the boorish toxic men about the safety of exploring the alien wreck. That little taste from Aliens (and most of that was SE stuff, IIRC) surely wasn't enough, right?

....hmm, the more I think about it, there might be a miniseries worth of content about that place after all. We can have a bit about the need to chip everyone and is that a good idea, stress of raising kids in an extreme hostile environment, the attitude and hubris of terraforming with a dorky scientist raving about some fungal spores that would be wiped out as the O2 content rose across the planet, the greed of getting coordinates to a desolate location to explore the ship, and then of course we just GOTTA see them extract a chest burster and killing the host, barricading the doors, shooting an alien and spilling acid blood through the floors, and OF COURSE, just who left that half eaten hot dog and coffee mug on the table! :p
I hope you're right about the subplots because as it stands it just seems like a soft reboot with a young crew. Still going to pass unless the majority of Gaffers say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

clarky

Gold Member

No doubt the TV show will deliver on those fronts for us.

clarky

Gold Member
Ehhh, Alien:Earth, set 30 years before Alien, right? No thanks. Only thing that interests me with that show is Timothy Oliphant.
I was more on about delivering on the woke bollocks etc.

Had no idea its set on earth pre Alien lol, yeah that sounds crap.

Edit: Although if Olyphant's in it ill check it out just for that reason. He was great in Deadwood and Justified.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I was more on about delivering on the woke bollocks etc.

Had no idea its set on earth pre Alien lol, yeah that sounds crap.
Well, hopefully the writers room got word of the woke pendulum swinging back and were able to course correct. The showrunner is Noah Hawley. I liked Bones well enough, legion as well. Never seen Fargo though. But he's a SWM so he's either waaaaaay over on performative woke to protect himself (since he is an entitled oppressor of privilege with no victim status defense) or he may be old school enough to recognize how to walk the line and deliver balance when given the OK to do so without having to deliver according to a 4 quadrant checklist. I expect A:E to tackle capitalism, corp greed, blue collar struggles, AI "taking yer jerbs", and the like, but those are not inherently problematic so long as there is balance and good characters doing it. I feel like this is gonna be a Caprica compared to Battlestar Galactica situation though, not what the IP audience is really looking for.

clarky

Gold Member
Well, hopefully the writers room got word of the woke pendulum swinging back and were able to course correct. The showrunner is Noah Hawley. I liked Bones well enough, legion as well. Never seen Fargo though. But he's a SWM so he's either waaaaaay over on performative woke to protect himself (since he is an entitled oppressor of privilege with no victim status defense) or he may be old school enough to recognize how to walk the line and deliver balance when given the OK to do so without having to deliver according to a 4 quadrant checklist. I expect A:E to tackle capitalism, corp greed, blue collar struggles, AI "taking yer jerbs", and the like, but those are not inherently problematic so long as there is balance and good characters doing it. I feel like this is gonna be a Caprica compared to Battlestar Galactica situation though, not what the IP audience is really looking for.

Noah Hawley you say? Ok ill have to look more into this show. I really enjoyed Leigon and Fargo was great bar one dud season for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom