• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens Versus Predator Official Thread of Interspecies Carnage and Bill Paxton Quotes

avp_dx112010-02-1700-4jsjk.png

avp_dx112010-02-1700-3gq56.png

oh looket the bad graffix.

Phloxy

God the constant sound when playing as a marine on 7.1 headphones drives me crazy. Not the pings either, just a clicking sound that just doesn't ever stop.

Unicorn

Phloxy said:
God the constant sound when playing as a marine on 7.1 headphones drives me crazy. Not the pings either, just a clicking sound that just doesn't ever stop.
Hasn't bothered me yet, but I'm not playing with headphones.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Some mid-campaign Bad Graphics™

avp_dx112010-02-1623-0vzae.jpg

avp_dx112010-02-1623-1gylm.jpg

avp_dx112010-02-1623-1fzhm.jpg

avp_dx112010-02-1623-1oxvv.jpg

evalue said:
Aliens are way too small in this game...

quote from first movie... "Huge"

Actually in the first movie he said it was as big as a man. These aliens are definitely man-sized when they're upright and in your face.

TheExodu5

Banned
HooCares said:
Pred Hunt Mode - Rebellion had good foresight here. A pred has about 80 seconds to get a kill or the game will reassign the pred to someone else. No getting a lead and camping. This mode is basically the movie Predator and is great fun.

This is AvP's crowning gem for me. So much fun. Very well paced. It's like Energy Sword Ninjanaut but waaaay better.

Dennis

Banned
So, I will be getting this game after work today, impressions are good from gaffers with the game, right?

I trust the opinion of gaffers over reviewers who are intimidated by predator and alien controls that apparently are not exactly the same as playing a human in COD :lol

About the graphics on PC, judging from the screenshots posted it looks ok, but are some of the texture a bit low res and disappointing ? Weapons for example ?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
DennisK4 said:
So, I will be getting this game after work today, impressions are good from gaffers with the game, right?

I trust the opinion of gaffers over reviewers who are intimidated by predator and alien controls that apparently are not exactly the same as playing a human in COD :lol

About the graphics on PC, judging from the screenshots posted it looks ok, but are some of the texture a bit low res and disappointing ? Weapons for example ?

It looks great, not stunning, but it does the job. Kinda rough around the edges in parts but there are some really great looking set pieces and vistas. The character models are particularly good. Seeing aliens crawling around the environment is poetry in motion. Weapons look good and very true-to-source - the pulse rifle is perfect.

evalue said:
Aliens are way too small in this game...

quote from first movie... "Huge"
...but you see the Alien in that movie and it is man sized, 7 foot max. Besides, have you not seen Aliens? Is not like the first one where you never see it. :lol

Unicorn

I should be doing hw said:
...but you see the Alien in that movie and it is man sized, 7 foot max. Besides, have you not seen Aliens? Is not like the first one where you never see it. :lol
You just made me realize I missed out on some real tension in Alien. I think I saw Aliens first as a kid, so I already knew what the creature would look like in Alien. I should watch that movie again to see if there's some truth to this new revelation.

Unicorn said:
You just made me realize I missed out on some real tension in Alien. I think I saw Aliens first as a kid, so I already knew what the creature would look like in Alien. I should watch that movie again to see if there's some truth to this new revelation.
Yeah, the two movies are entirely different in that respect. Alien's only real merit (for me) as a movie was that you didn't know what the fuck it was. When the chestburster emerged it was like "HOLY SHI-" and then you had no idea what it looks like apart from brief glimpses where it shows to have grown. Aliens ruined that aspect by showing the Aliens in full detail for extended periods of time. Not that I think Aliens is bad (my favorite movie) but the effect of know what they look like lessens Alien's dramatic effect. With Aliens being so fucking awesome I gladly sacrifice the first one though. :lol
I mean even the lore was sort of different in the first, I think that in the original script humans became the pods, there was no Queen at all. I prefer that they are like ants so Cameron's take is better (to me). I know there are Alien purists out there somewhere though.

I should be doing hw said:
Yeah, the two movies are entirely different in that respect. Alien's only real merit (for me) as a movie was that you didn't know what the fuck it was. When the chestburster emerged it was like "HOLY SHI-" and then you had no idea what it looks like apart from brief glimpses where it shows to have grown. Aliens ruined that aspect by showing the Aliens in full detail for extended periods of time. Not that I think Aliens is bad (my favorite movie) but the effect of know what they look like lessens Alien's dramatic effect. With Aliens being so fucking awesome I gladly sacrifice the first one though. :lol
I mean even the lore was sort of different in the first, I think that in the original script humans became the pods, there was no Queen at all. I prefer that they are like ants so Cameron's take is better (to me). I know there are Alien purists out there somewhere though.

I just got around to seeing the original Alien all the way thru last week for the first time, I always used to catch the very end of it when flipping the channels. I was never really interested in it being spoiled by the awesomeness of Aliens, but its a great movie in its own right, its got really good pacing and puts new context on some of the things that happen and are said in Aliens.

Tokubetsu

Phloxy said:

Yea I don't think I could play this alone then. I tried playing Dead Space when I had just gotten my Sennheiser 595s...Never again.

In the whole alien and aliens arguement though, as some said earlier, each really bring something to the table. Alien has GREAT pacing and really puts the fear of god in you. That clicking, the tail its just so great.

TheVisualizer said:
Its a great movie in its own righ
Oh, of course it is. But the original effect is lessened by a degree because imagination is always more powerful than reality.
TheVisualizer said:
... and puts new context on some of the things that happen and are said in Aliens.
No shit, it being the first movie and all :lol

Tokubetsu

I still remember being something like 7 or so and playing with toy soldiers while my Aunt watched it on tv. The hangar scene always stuck with me but xenomorphs have pretty much stuck with me since. Facehuggers STILL cause me to shiver.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Holy shit the last marine level is tough.

[wtf]
2 pretorians at once
[/wtf]

Audio diaries in the last mission give a definite canonical link to the first avp movie.

Tokubetsu said:
I still remember being something like 7 or so and playing with toy soldiers while my Aunt watched it on tv. The hangar scene always stuck with me but xenomorphs have pretty much stuck with me since. Facehuggers STILL cause me to shiver.
The noise the pods make when opening... grossest sound effect ever.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Finished the marine campaign. lol sequel.
Took me about 6 hours, quite comparable to the campaign length in avp2, only this one didn't have a truckload of weapons you never got a chance to use. (seriously, you got to play with the sniper rifle for 3 SECONDS at the very end of the campaign in that one). The jungle and temple areas were definitely the weakest, but still had some great moments. It got a lot better towards the end, and a certain enemy that shows up late in the game is really tough and intimidating, unlike it's past versions. Great game, now on to alien.

Rookie spoilers:
he's black :eek:

How are the difficulty levels? Are people finding normal to be too easy/just right? I normally choose hard but I don't want to feel like some kind of pansy ass predator due to an unbalanced/cheap hard mode.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
MisterAnderson said:
How are the difficulty levels? Are people finding normal to be too easy/just right? I normally choose hard but I don't want to feel like some kind of pansy ass predator due to an unbalanced/cheap hard mode.

I found the difficulty to be pretty good. Hell I died at the first alien I fought after getting the freaking pulse rifle because I totally underestimated him. They're not pushovers, and later swarms can kill you easily if you don't stay on top of them. Most of the time it's not too difficult though. I think hard will be a great challenge, and I'm terrified of doing the last 2 levels on nightmare.

Hmm...so I just played the Predator training level (ran in Direct X 11 mode - card only supports DX10). Ran great even with 4x forced AA. No slowdowns or hiccups or anything - max graphics settings. After the training, it goes to load the next stage and crashes during the loading screen. Now every time I try to play, it freezes on the loading screen, except if I choose to do the Predator training mission (so far the only successful time I've gotten the game to run). I haven't tried Direct X 9 mode yet, but will continue to experiment.

My drivers are up to date and I reinstalled them anyway just in case. Just now it crashed to a freaking blue screen talking about a memory dump or something, and it auto-rebooted my computer. What the hell gives? Is anyone else having this issue? I have:

W7 64-bit
i7 920
Radeon 4890 1gb
6 GB ddr3 RAM

Edit: It works in DX9 mode, although forcing AA doesn't seem to work at all in this mode. (come to think of it not sure if it even worked in DX11 mode). Regardless, not sure why the hell the game keeps crashing to all hell if I try to load a level in DX11. I thought maybe it was because I was running D3D Overrider to force triple buffering but even after turning that off there's no change.

Xpliskin

This game was obviously created with PCs in mind.

I'd bet it's based off the previous codebase of the earlier AVp games (I think it's the one freely available on the net).

brain_stew said:

As a buyer of graphics hardware i couldn't give a toss if it makes things easier for developers! This is actually Direct x returning to it's dissapointing form, back in the day it was always a poor mans glide, open gl.

it doesn't stand out a tonne on the aliens, but on the parts of the environment it does it on... it looks great. the aliens look perfect. even if that's compared to nearly perfect.

I'm guessing you're talking about those alien ribs on walls, do they jut out with tesselation?

I wanna play!

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
WuselDusel said:
I am not able to see the bad graphics every review mentions. Am I blind or something?

Its the textures, they are extremely low quality, even on pc it doesn't look very hot. Was extremely hyped for this game... until I played the demo :(!

JoeBoy101

WuselDusel said:
I am not able to see the bad graphics every review mentions. Am I blind or something?

Playing it on the PC, I'm thinking it might be toned down on the consoles and that's where the graphics are suffering. Yeah, the bad graphics complaint on the PC is just silly.

DarkoMaledictus said:
Its the textures, they are extremely low quality, even on pc it doesn't look very hot. Was extremely hyped for this game... until I played the demo :(!

Marine17.jpg

Nope, not seeing that.

Mister Anderson said:

Aliens are deviously hard to kill. I'm playing on normal, and they take a few shots to put down for sure. Shot placement is very important because some pieces are easy to knock off than others. Still though, you can cause them to be spurting blood and they will still come after you. I've had more than a few come after me after taking off one of their legs (albeit, they are much slower then).

But what is really killer about aliens is their agility. In a couple of the previous games, they pretty much run at you in a straight line. In the last one, they added surface climbing, but it was still pretty much straightforward. Yeah, not so much here. They will jump surface to surface. Run behind than over obstacles. They are constantly moving and only sometimes in their whole path to you do they run in a straight line. This game will improve your overall aim.

Volcynika

Due to Steam d/l messing up, finally able to finish it this morning and play through the first mission of the Alien campaign.

So awesome.

Also, the text when
you release the Queen. "The queen is free. We're all fucked."
:lol

Gattsu25

Banned
Playing PC version on a laptop and...this game is fucking great looking. I also have no problem with framerate drops on a laptop that struggles heavily with WoW.

Truant said:
Any way to force AA through nHancer?
as far as i am aware AA is DX11 only... and only through their in game solution. it was a nice surprise to me, cause the type of lighting they use doesn't work with MSAA at all as far as i know and was expecting the game to have no AA.

Dave1988

I just received my Survivor Edition (PS3), which comes with 4 multiplayer maps. As of yet, the maps still aren't online, but here's what it says about them.

Multi maps:

Docks - Horror comes from the deep at Weyland-Yutani's abandoned dockyard.
Outpost - Reclaimed by BG-386's voracious jungle plant life, this is the perfect hunting ground for all manner of wildlife.

Survivor maps:

Hive - Deep in the heart of Freya's Prospect lies the Xenomorph Hive. Beware all who enter here.
Machine: Will you brave the Refinery? The light may be on, but nobody's home...yet.

orion434

I'm nearing the end of the Marine Campaign, my favorite weapon is the Scoped Rifle. Can't wait to dive into some multiplayer.

winnarps

Is matchmaking included for all of the multi-player modes? Or do you need to have a few buddies to make a game of Survivor?

Oh welp, they can't hide those muddy textures, they're all over.

/sarcasm

Anyway the demo is really shitty, is the final game any better? The graphics seem nice, but what about gameplay?

Truant

Insane Metal said:
Oh welp, they can't hide those muddy textures, they're all over.

/sarcasm

Anyway the demo is really shitty, is the final game any better? The graphics seem nice, but what about gameplay?

It's like the first AvPC.

winnarps said:
Is matchmaking included for all of the multi-player modes? Or do you need to have a few buddies to make a game of Survivor?
all modes :) you can customise the number or private slots and whether to have friendly fire on or off.

Playing it a bit, the visuals are not bad, they kinda get mediocre looking once you leave the dark areas though. The game shines in the dark environments and really fits the theme of the movies, but the outside stuff is kinda meh.

The Alien AI is pretty wonky too, they seem to often get stuck on terrain or just don't make much sense in how they come at you where they are on you one minute and suddenly one will randomly start wandering off slowly before turning back to charge again. Also had couple aliens basically hide behind terrain... guess they got stuck, but it looked funny since they appeared to be in hiding yet there wagging tail was sticking out of crates.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
To all you fellas having trouble with ATi cards, try using the 9.12/9.11 drivers. Apparently it's buggy with 10.1.

Which doesn't surprise me, since ATi hasn't release a driver since Windows 7 that I've had no problems with.

panda21

luka said:
A huge dump of spoileriffic marine screenshots.

nice! especially like the one with the alien on the other side of the glass

is it nightclub type areas -> jungle -> temple? or are jungle/temple the same? not sure i've seen what the jungle levels are like

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Lyphen said:
To all you fellas having trouble with ATi cards, try using the 9.12/9.11 drivers. Apparently it's buggy with 10.1.

Which doesn't surprise me, since ATi hasn't release a driver since Windows 7 that I've had no problems with.
Do you know how it works with 10.2 RC2? The demo ran great so, I should be good, right?

derFeef

Lyphen said:

Today is 10.2 coming. Crossfire profiles, baby!

If you die in survivor mode, do you ever come back? Its a little silly to be dead for more then 5 minutes as your buddy still kicks ass and you and another guy have to just sit and wait till he dies.

RavenFox

Banned
Xpliskin said:
This game was obviously created with PCs in mind.

I'd bet it's based off the previous codebase of the earlier AVp games (I think it's the one freely available on the net).
I for one take that as a good thing.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I have no idea how it'll run with 10.2, but I hope it'll run it well, because the performance gains it's offering are pretty awesome (up to 20%). Not necessarily for AvP, mind you, but other games I play regularly.

meddow

just got the 360 version

1player for all of the different classes seems a bit boring imo

but the mplayer is a blast,

so if u liked the idea of the demo (not the map) get the game

Top Bottom