• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens Versus Predator Official Thread of Interspecies Carnage and Bill Paxton Quotes

HooCares

Neo Member
Playing on 360 now but will double dip this summer when I get my new PC that can actually run it.

In the meantime, wtf is with the "bad graphics" talk? Yes I see everyone's amazing PC screenshots and know it runs better on PC but I'm telling you this game is good looking even on 360. I'm playing on a 50' Plasma with HDMI, 1080p and I'm very satisfied with the game's graphics, especially the lighting - this statement is coming from a proud Killzone 2 owner, which is arguably one of the best FPS's graphics wise on console.

Unicorn

slasher_thrasher21 said:
If you die in survivor mode, do you ever come back? Its a little silly to be dead for more then 5 minutes as your buddy still kicks ass and you and another guy have to just sit and wait till he dies.
I'm not sure. I was hoping that maybe there was a way they could respawn if everyone makes it on their own for 5 waves past your death or something, but I'm almost certain death is death, which makes the mode that much more terrifying and intense. Damn those team kills:lol

MMaRsu

HooCares said:
Playing on 360 now but will double dip this summer when I get my new PC that can actually run it.

In the meantime, wtf is with the "bad graphics" talk? Yes I see everyone's amazing PC screenshots and know it runs better on PC but I'm telling you this game is good looking even on 360. I'm playing on a 50' Plasma with HDMI, 1080p and I'm very satisfied with the game's graphics, especially the lighting - this statement is coming from a proud Killzone 2 owner, which is arguably one of the best FPS's graphics wise on console.

The graphics are great indeed, the lighting is also very good. Don't know what these 'reviewers' are talking about :|.

nyong

Banned
Don't buy this for the multiplayer on the PS3. I figured there would be a healthy online community, at least early on. Christ was I wrong. Last night I scored one kill, in one game, and was ranked mid-6000's. This morning there were 3 active games on "friendly" none of which had more than 3 players in them. FINALLY got into a ranked match, with one other person, who promptly disconnected after killing me once.

So sad.

todahawk

nyong said:
Don't buy this for the multiplayer on the PS3. I figured there would be a healthy online community, at least early on. Christ was I wrong. Last night I scored one kill, in one game, and was ranked mid-6000's. This morning there were 3 active games on "friendly" none of which had more than 3 players in them. FINALLY got into a ranked match, with one other person, who promptly disconnected after killing me once.

So sad.

Damn that sucks to hear.

MMaRsu

nyong said:

So sad.

Well that's certainly not how it is on 360.. Just wait for it, more people will probably show up :).

HooCares

Neo Member
nyong said:

So sad.

That is really sad to hear as this game's multi is a blast. On AVPG there are posts of a PS3 only bug that is causing PS3's to freeze when playing as the Pred. Rebellion has acknowledged the problem and will have a patch out Friday. Could be people are waiting for the patch?

nyong

Banned
HooCares said:
Could be people are waiting for the patch?
I doubt this explains it. Hopefully it starts picking up in the evenings, at the very least. According to ebgames.com there are already used copies for PS3 in my area too. Not a good sign lol.

How big is the 360 community online so far?

HooCares

Neo Member
nyong said:

I didn't check the rankings for numbers but I was able to get into Pred Hunt, Infestation, Species TDM through ranked matchmaking without waiting more than 30-40 seconds. All of the games were either full or 2-3 from being full.

I browsed the private game servers and there were a quite a few but most not full.

Hopefully the game maintains this strong following despite the mixed reviews from websites. It's currently rated a 4.5/5 by over 4000 voters on Live.

todahawk

nyong said:
I doubt this explains it. Hopefully it starts picking up in the evenings, at the very least. According to ebgames.com there are already used copies for PS3 in my area too. Not a good sign lol.

There's been trades for PS3 and 360 on Goozex as well.
I'm thinking I might go PC at this point, graphics do look great. (or 360 if the community is solid)

The broken demo on PS3 probably killed a shit ton of sales for the game on the platform. Talking to my cousin on the phone over the weekend and he was like "fuck that game doesn't work" when he tried it on PS3.

I had talked my brother into us both getting it on PS3, I am planning to let my Gold expire soon, but after trying to play the PS3 demo we both went with the 360 version.

JoeBoy101

Safe Bet said:

Why? Because these characters still have power, and becoming them still offers you new and interesting ways to hunt and kill your prey. Just because the story has been told before doesn't mean it's a bad story, it's simply becoming worn. We still want to be powerful, we still long to feel primal, we still fear the dark. Each of the three characters delivers one of these things, and sometimes all three. This is a good Aliens vs. Predator game. We're still waiting for a great one.

Best description of the game I've seen from the reviewers. This is a good review and very fair. After playing through about 1/3 of the game, I think I might have waited for a mark-down, but I'm not kicking myself over full price though, either. He also makes the good point that there is a ton of AvP mythos out there already, why dick around with the canon from the movies. Blegh.

JoeBoy101 said:
Best description of the game I've seen from the reviewers. This is a good review and very fair. After playing through about 1/3 of the game, I think I might have waited for a mark-down, but I'm not kicking myself over full price though, either. He also makes the good point that there is a ton of AvP mythos out there already, why dick around with the canon from the movies. Blegh.

The AVP movie canon? Because most of the stuff in the movies was directly ripped out of the AVP comic books that were almost 10+ years old already. The movies just weren't as good as those comics.

Continuity in the Aliens and Predator universe is pretty up in the air.

Sullen

Getting a weird bug where its like I am stuck in no clip mode on every singleplayer mission now. I can see through every wall and it makes the game unplayably laggy. Anyone else heard of or experienced this bug? PC version w/ ATI card using 9.12 drivers.

HooCares

Neo Member
The only thing that annoys me with some of the reviews are ones that gloss over the multi. I haven't completed any of the campaigns yet but can understand the criticism of "been there done that" with the single player. Most of the community will be putting hours upon hours into the multi. When a review notes that "Marines suck! this multi is bad/not balanced" I wonder if they're even playing the same game as me. Marines are consistently at the top of charts and I find the game to quite balanced so far. The Marines won 3/4's of the Species TDM games I've played so far. They are awesome.

The balanced melee and gun combat of 3 species of varying mobility, strength, and visual perspectives is something you don't find in many multiplayer experiences lately. Yet reviews knock it bc you can't unlock new guns. :lol

Has anyone tried the Marine survival mode yet? Is there any depth to it other than running around and shooting aliens? I'd buy the game just to play this with my friends if it's any fun.

A bit off topic, but didn't the Colonial Marines game developed by Gearbox get shelved due to this game? I thought the publishers were going to wait to see how AVP did before proceeding with that. If so, I hope this sells well. I was hoping for a game that was going more in that direction.

MMaRsu

PistolPete said:
Has anyone tried the Marine survival mode yet? Is there any depth to it other than running around and shooting aliens? I'd buy the game just to play this with my friends if it's any fun.

A bit off topic, but didn't the Colonial Marines game developed by Gearbox get shelved due to this game? I thought the publishers were going to wait to see how AVP did before proceeding with that. If so, I hope this sells well. I was hoping for a game that was going more in that direction.

I did and it's pretty awesome. No there's not much dept to it aside from trying to go for the highest score, but I imagine with friends it's pretty crazy.

jsrv

nyong said:

I don't notice a significant difference in quick match times for any of the 3 versions (Rented the PS3 one yesterday, and my friend has the 360 one, and bought the Steam one for myself). The amount of matches created in non-ranked matches (The one with server browser) are all very low for them. I think the lowest I could find was 3 matches (all infestation) last night which I guess is understandable since there has only been a US release and that gamestop/EBgames had delays for some of their stores.

Didn't get the 360 version because I'm afraid that when Halo Reach beta comes around the AVP3 community for the 360 will suddenly die out, and by then the Dedicated servers for the PC version would probably be up.

HooCares

Neo Member
Dave1988 said:
Just played my first Species Deathmatch. Soooo good!:D

Played the jungle map 3 times in a row. 4v4v4 - Marines sticking together patrolling the caves and cliffsides, Predators jumping all over the ruins, Aliens crawling all over the cliff walls, Bliss.....

nyong

Banned
jsrv said:
I don't notice a significant difference in quick match times for any of the 3 versions.
Is it possible it has something to do with my connection speed? I'm hooked up wirelessly. Every single ranked game I have played thus far took forever to start, and anything apart from last night has been with 1 or 2 other people. Max.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Every review I've seen disregards autotransition when talking about the 'awkwardness' of the alien controls. Hmm.

Unicorn said:
I'm not sure. I was hoping that maybe there was a way they could respawn if everyone makes it on their own for 5 waves past your death or something, but I'm almost certain death is death, which makes the mode that much more terrifying and intense. Damn those team kills:lol

Speaking of that, in the options for that mode, you can turn off friendly fire! Oh HELL YEAH!:D Fuck -856 points!

JoeBoy101

luka said:
Every review I've seen disregards autotransition when talking about the 'awkwardness' of the alien controls. Hmm.

I noticed that too. I had some issues until I turned on auto-transition, then I was screaming around the maps in no time.

Dave1988

nyong said:
Is it possible it has something to do with my connection speed? I'm hooked up wirelessly. Every single ranked game I have played thus far took forever to start, and anything apart from last night has been with 1 or 2 other people. Max.

Must be something with your connection. While I can't say that matchmaking is lightning fast, it also doesn't take ages to find players like the pre-patch demo did. Also the player number will keep increasing. Hell, today I played matches. in 12 people rooms.

grendelrt

Multiplayer is soooooo good. I am getting the hang of the alien, last DM I had 16 kills, first place :D Need to start playing some ranked matches soon.

I am loving the mp. I have played a ton of Predator Hunt and TDM today. Does anyone know if there will be a thread for this ame on the online board? I checked earlier but didnt see one. I was really hoping to find some people playing the 360 version.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Wow, single-player story (all three combined) are short. I completed all three today and I just started it yesterday late afternoon. Some thoughts:

- Too dark through much of the game for Marines and Predator. A lot of times you can't see what you're doing or where you're going. This is especially bad in combat.

- Marine campagin is longest but most difficult. Alien campaign is a serious "WTF! It's that short!?" Alien campaign is also very easy.

- MP is lots of fun. The Infestation mode is especially enjoyable but is there really anyway to "win" this mode as the Marines?

- Sets up for a sequel. If the ending is indication of the next game, the next game will be a blast!

Unicorn

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Speaking of that, in the options for that mode, you can turn off friendly fire! Oh HELL YEAH!:D Fuck -856 points!
Holy shit really? How'd I miss that when we were playing? I'm so bad about team killing dunno why... maybe I'm used to precise rifles from CoD.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
kamspy said:
Is there an official forum for this game?

I'm having some issues.

Try the steam forum. They have a troubleshooting FAQ thread with a lot of common problems.

Darkmakaimura said:
Wow, single-player story (all three combined) are short. I completed all three today and I just started it yesterday late afternoon.

Combined it's still a fair bit longer than something like MW2. Hell it's still longer than the avp2 campaign, which is the most comparable in story structure. I finished the marine game last night in about 5-6 hours, and today the predator in maybe 4. Starting alien now.

Unicorn

Darkmakaimura said:
- MP is lots of fun. The Infestation mode is especially enjoyable but is there really anyway to "win" this mode as the Marines?
Yeah I won the first match I played. There's a timer and you've just gotta survive till it ticks down. An achievement for being the last man standing and winning. So satisfying.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
I just played a game of ranked infestation and the marines lagged out and became invisible/invulnerable and just ran around shooting aliens through the walls. The next game was 4/4/4 species deathmatch in the moving pyramid map and it was so laggy people were getting crushed by invisible walls and respawning inside them.

Besides a couple incidents like that I've had a few really great games. I think we need working dedicated servers pretty damn soon though. :|

Finished the three campaigns earlier. All things considered I would give it a solid 7/10. Once the kinks are ironed out I can see myself playing mp for a long time.

kamspy

This game could end up being truly great with a good year of community mod/tweak support.

It's really just a few small quirks away from being a nigh perfect AVP experience.

Make it happen Rebellion.

I guess Sega isn't even paying to money hat reviews these days. I hope the game shifts a ton of copies. There is really a diamond in here. I don't know how exactly the 'proprietary engine' scales, but the game really looks, feels and renders like it based on id tech.

They did their best not to screw the PC community.

-Steam integration (considering "no DRM" isn't an option with most shareholders)

-appearing to go out of their way to write dedicated server support since Sega probably didn't want to host official ones for PC at launch.

-Actually posting on their own forms and acknowledging the bugs (is it 2002 again?)

-General honesty in the press releases

-making a bald space marine killing simulator. in the good way. no ADS, no nuke streaks, no day zero dlc etc.

Well worth my $50. I don't say that often these days after a blind buy.

nyong

Banned
Marine campaign finished on Hard! The alien AI is really, really good. Fuckers will flank you at the drop of a hat. Doing that without checkpoints is almost certainly going to be an exercise in frustration.

If anyone here has the PS3 version and plays MP regularly (PST) could they do me a huge freaking favor? For some reason, I can't join most ranked games. Could they friend me and use the "invite friend" feature to drag me along for some ranked MP action? Would be much appreciated until I figure this stupid thing out (assuming it's me).

PSN: aspectus

Top Bottom