• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens Versus Predator Official Thread of Interspecies Carnage and Bill Paxton Quotes

nyong

Banned
Interesting. My "Welcome to the Party" 6k ranked XP trophy unlocked whilst playing single-player. I have just under 100 actual XP. Lol.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
The voice acting for Tequila and script writing in the marine campaign is terrible. Its not even cheesy. Its flat out horrible. So horrible, that any situation that involves her speaking is ruined.

I'd rather nothing.

i keep trying to play the multiplayer demo for PS3 and i can never find a match....i always give up after 5 mins of just sitting there. is nobody playing or am i missing something??

nyong

Banned
TOM f'N CRUISE said:
i keep trying to play the multiplayer demo for PS3 and i can never find a match....i always give up after 5 mins of just sitting there. is nobody playing or am i missing something??

If it's the old version of the demo it won't work because it's bugged. You have to delete it, and re-download it. Almost nobody is playing PS3 retail either, though. At least from my experiences, which have been repeated several other places on the net. A few people here seem to find games, though.

(probably takes me 5 minutes to find/start a game and "fill" it with an average of 4 people)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
EatChildren said:
The voice acting for Tequila and script writing in the marine campaign is terrible. Its not even cheesy. Its flat out horrible. So horrible, that any situation that involves her speaking is ruined.

I'd rather nothing.

Yeah I kept wishing that horrible british fmv marine from avp1 would show up, knock her out and start yelling "GET MOVING MARINE, YEARGH!". The acting was bad, but I barely noticed it. Whenever someone started talking to me it was literally background noise. It wasn't even bad enough to even make you pay attention. Lance Henriksen was the only thing that stood out. He was pretty decent.

My only real issue was that the actual plot was inconceivably generic. It's literally a straight rip of avp2 and just recycled elements from all the movies and comics. It did nothing original or added anything unique to the universe. It did do it better than all the previous games though, and the level design and set=pieces were pretty great. I could have done without the overuse of prerecorded bink video, especially in the predator campaign.

I thought that Lance was awesome. I had a huge fucking smile the first time I heard his voice, and he was a big factor in me wanting to find the audio diaries.

Unicorn

Mike G.E.D. said:
This game has the most bullshit deaths in any video game. Ever.
asdf.jpg

Dat shirt got sum Tessellation?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Playing through the marine campaign again on hard. So much better. No annoying guard/counter prompts and acid does a scary amount of damage if you're careless. Each fight is a real struggle.

Carrying on in strong avp tradition the flamethrower is once again the most useless weapon ever, here even more so because flaming aliens have a tendency to suicide bomb you by tackling your legs and exploding in a shower of acid...instakill. Fun times.

Well Tom Chuck at 1up certainly didn't like this.

I've not played the full game, but I really don't understand the large amount of what I can only describe as diatribes aimed at the game. It would appear that each reviewer has either no sense of what creates balance in a video game (with regard to marines blocking alien hands etc), or they just like to use their reviews to knock developers.

Also: a 'professional' review that includes the words 'oh look' within its text followed by some semblance of irony is a review that should be stricken from the record. It makes the review look very 'bloggy', though I'm sure a lot of you would argue that that is the state that 'video games journalism' is in.

Not that I want to start a war or anything, but I would just like to say that I don't think I've seen a good American review yet...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm getting really frustrating PC performance.

99% of the time the game runs silky smooth, but will randomy pause and skip whenever it has to stream in new data. I could understand if this was when something big happened, but it can be as simple as Marine dialogue in the Predator campaign.

The game will pause, or drop to sub 1fps, until the asset is loaded. Its wrecking the atmosphere and flow of levels and I dont understand why its happening.

My PC is hardly a beast, old CPU and 8800GT, but I can run pretty much every game I own maxed out at 1920x1080 with zero issues. When everything is loaded even AvP runs absolutely fine.

I'm writing it off as a memory or CPU engine issue and not my system, because it doesnt happen in any other games.

Truant

EatChildren said:
I'm getting really frustrating PC performance.

99% of the time the game runs silky smooth, but will randomy pause and skip whenever it has to stream in new data. I could understand if this was when something big happened, but it can be as simple as Marine dialogue in the Predator campaign.

The game will pause, or drop to sub 1fps, until the asset is loaded. Its wrecking the atmosphere and flow of levels and I dont understand why its happening.

My PC is hardly a beast, old CPU and 8800GT, but I can run pretty much every game I own maxed out at 1920x1080 with zero issues. When everything is loaded even AvP runs absolutely fine.

I'm writing it off as a memory or CPU engine issue and not my system, because it doesnt happen in any other games.

Same here. I have an i7 with a GTX295 and I get the same issues.

MarshMellow96 said:
Well Tom Chuck at 1up certainly didn't like this.

I've not played the full game, but I really don't understand the large amount of what I can only describe as diatribes aimed at the game. It would appear that each reviewer has either no sense of what creates balance in a video game (with regard to marines blocking alien hands etc), or they just like to use their reviews to knock developers.

Also: a 'professional' review that includes the words 'oh look' within its text followed by some semblance of irony is a review that should be stricken from the record. It makes the review look very 'bloggy', though I'm sure a lot of you would argue that that is the state that 'video games journalism' is in.

Not that I want to start a war or anything, but I would just like to say that I don't think I've seen a good American review yet...

if it doesnt play like cod mw2 then its crap....that's what im getting from these reviews....

EatChildren

Truant said:
Same here. I have an i7 with a GTX295 and I get the same issues.

DX9 or DX10? I've heard DX10 has some nasty memory issues (guy on another forum I visited noted it building to ~2.5GB of usage under DX10!), but he said it was fine in DX9.

I'm in DX9 and this problem is so annoying. I can understand if I'm playing Crysis maxed out and a billion things blow up and corpses, barrels, and boxes fly everywhere while cars explode, and the frame rate drops lower than normal, maybe pauses ever so slightly while its rendering the mass of destruction on my older PC. But this is much, much worse and for no reason.

The marine dialogue was the obvious sign of an issue. Sitting in a tree looking at a marine, game pauses for a few seconds, resumes only to play his dialogue. What the hell mang?!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Bluemercury said:
if it doesnt play like cod mw2 then its crap....that's what im getting from these reviews....

The majority of the negative reviews are simply that, negative. They dwell on the flaws and don't even bother touching on the many things the game does extremely well. That isn't a professional objective review. That is a blog entry.

EatChildren said:
The marine dialogue was the obvious sign of an issue. Sitting in a tree looking at a marine, game pauses for a few seconds, resumes only to play his dialogue. What the hell mang?!

That's really strange and unfortunate. I've heard of people having technical troubles but I haven't experienced a single one. I've got quick loading, perfectly smooth 60fps and not a single stutter or crash on my end running in DX10.

I've barely touched the single player at this point, but I did see a few spots of random hitches (more of a split second thing) and areas where the framerate seemed to struggle even though nothing was going on.

this happened to me briefly twice in one of the MP games I played last night also... kind of came in and out while i was moving about fighting marines.

314otw8.png

and i'm playing ranked cause i want to get all the skins (and generally getting my ass kicked!) so sometimes you get stuck playing a race you don't want to.

like stupid predators.

Playing more and really not caring for the single player. Only done marine so far but it's not been particularly fun. I loved the original Rebellion did when it came out but this is not grabbing me the same way, and lot of parts feel like endurance matches more than anything. The whole block counter thing also just doesn't feel right in this game.

Hopefully the other campaigns prove more interesting or the MP keeps me going.

Truant

EatChildren said:
DX9 or DX10? I've heard DX10 has some nasty memory issues (guy on another forum I visited noted it building to ~2.5GB of usage under DX10!), but he said it was fine in DX9.

I'm in DX9 and this problem is so annoying. I can understand if I'm playing Crysis maxed out and a billion things blow up and corpses, barrels, and boxes fly everywhere while cars explode, and the frame rate drops lower than normal, maybe pauses ever so slightly while its rendering the mass of destruction on my older PC. But this is much, much worse and for no reason.

DX9, the DX10/11 renderer won't even load for me. Steam just restarts.

BattleMonkey said:
Playing more and really not caring for the single player. Only done marine so far but it's not been particularly fun. I loved the original Rebellion did when it came out but this is not grabbing me the same way, and lot of parts feel like endurance matches more than anything. The whole block counter thing also just doesn't feel right in this game.

Hopefully the other campaigns prove more interesting or the MP keeps me going.
if you haven't tried the survivor mode, i find it very reminiscent of the original AvP with it's more randomised wave thing going on. i'm eagerly awaiting the new maps for that.

todahawk

Regardless of the reviews I'm still getting the game, just not sure which version.

I don't normally waffle this much or ask for advice but I in his case. I'm get a new PC shortly and that's how I played the originals... but I haven't been playing FPS much on the PC the last couple of gens. I have a 360 and PS3 (no gold but willing to) but I keep hearing nobody's on the PS3 playing MP.

I actually really enjoy both the single player and multiplater. I gotta say though, when I play this game with headphones on, it just adds so much to the atmosphere then when I'm just playing through the tv. Freaking loving it! Finished the Alien campaign, still two levels left on predator and 3 on marines.

Facism

Gold Member
typical play.com ship my copy today so it'll come tuesday next week, if the fucking snow doesn't delay the mail any longer -_-

Unicorn

luka said:
Carrying on in strong avp tradition the flamethrower is once again the most useless weapon ever.

Over on the official forums one of the mods/devs confirmed they are aware of it being utter SHIT and are working on balancing it.

I remember a time a marine knocked me down as an alien and held the flame on me THE ENTIRE TIME i was squiriming and I then got back up and proceeded to claw the shit outta him while he torched me. By the time I killed him i was missing roughly 3/4 of my health. not even in the red. What. The. Fuck.

Unicorn said:
Over on the official forums one of the mods/devs confirmed they are aware of it being utter SHIT and are working on balancing it.

I remember a time a marine knocked me down as an alien and held the flame on me THE ENTIRE TIME i was squiriming and I then got back up and proceeded to claw the shit outta him while he torched me. By the time I killed him i was missing roughly 3/4 of my health. not even in the red. What. The. Fuck.
any time i see someone using it playing as an alien, i just laugh and go kill them.

hopefully they'll make it set aliens on fire at least.

I walked right behind a Predator in MP with my flamethrower and was like "lol". I light him up thinking "pwnd" and he just turns around and cuts my head off as hes on fire and then walks away.

Unicorn

plagiarize said:
any time i see someone using it playing as an alien, i just laugh and go kill them.

hopefully they'll make it set aliens on fire at least.
In campaign I could have sworn I saw an alien POP like a molotov after two people lit him up with flamethrowers.

BattleMonkey said:
I walked right behind a Predator in MP with my flamethrower and was like "lol". I light him up thinking "pwnd" and he just turns around and cuts my head off as hes on fire and then walks away.

Speaking of that, the guy also answered a lot of questions, one regarding health:

Marine: 100
Alien: 130
Predator: 150

edit:
maybe it wasn't official forums, but the guy is legit:

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=28981.msg636399#msg636399

2nd edit:
I CAN'T believe someone seriously thought the faster tail whips on the walls and ceiling for aliens was a glitch or oversight on the devs' part. HAHAHA I love the guy's answer though addressing that accusation. Basically comes down to, it's a bonus for playing the alien correctly.

also, here's a bonus XP chart:
Action Time XP Reward
Kill Marine - 2
Kill Alien - 2
Kill Predator - 2
Inflict 100 points of damage - 2
Counter melee attack - 1
Capture Control Point(CP) - 2
Defended CP (rewarded only after a kill near teams CP) 20 secs, 1
Attack CP (rewarded only after a kill near enemy CP) 20 secs, 1
Assist in a Kill - 1
Trophy Kill Marine - 3
Trophy Kill Alien - 3
Trophy Kill Predator - 5
Melee Kill as Marine - 6
Assist in a Kill - 1
Get a kill streak of 5 or more with out dying - 5
Kill Persecutor - 4
Win a round of Infestation - 5
Survive to the end of a round of Infestation as a Marine and get the Bonus - 10

grendelrt

I tried the flamethrower on an alien in the demo, yeah he walked through it slowly and butchered me. I looked at my friend and was like WTF, havent touched it since.

Cheech

plagiarize said:
just a heads up to any people in North America that got the hunter edition and received a broken facehugger.

go to this website

http://www.sega.com/facehugger and fill out the information there. sega will then contact you with regards to a replacement.

I'm glad mine seems to be ok, because I threw away the code card after redeeming it. What specifically is supposed to be broken?

As for the game itself, made it through the jungle in the marine campaign. Good shit! The wimpiness of the flamethrower is frustrating, though. It's really only good for taking care of facehuggers.

Swittcher

Banned
BattleMonkey said:

4362756860_7cabdec0a5_o.jpg

:lol

Cheech said:
I'm glad mine seems to be ok, because I threw away the code card after redeeming it. What specifically is supposed to be broken?

the one i saw a picture of online, and the complaint we had called into Gamestop last night while I was working was of the tail being snapped. looking at it in the box, it does look like the tail is bent at a bit of an awkward angle unlike say, the more fragile looking fingers.

Unicorn

Baloonatic said:
I didn't think the map pack would be so big, gonna have to wait about 90 minutes for it to download. Ah well, soon!
Man I want the mappack, but I don't want to wait to pay for it. But also didn't want to pay 100 to get it a bit earlier...

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Maybe they're all asleep from playing the SP campaigns. :lol

Really underwhelming game, especially compared to the two PC entries in the series. Oddly, I like the alien campaign best, even though the alien campaigns in the previous games were my least favorites.

Unicorn said:
Man I want the mappack, but I don't want to wait to pay for it. But also didn't want to pay 100 to get it a bit earlier...

I'm in the UK and got the Survivor edition from GAME which was £30. No Facehugger or anything but it has steel packaging and the map pack so I'm fine with that.

Unicorn said:
at this point i just want to know when us PC playing people in yankee land can expect to get the map pack and what the financial damage is going to be.

Unicorn

Baloonatic said:
I'm in the UK and got the Survivor edition from GAME which was £30. No Facehugger or anything but it has steel packaging and the map pack so I'm fine with that.
Yeah, UK got 3 versions of release. Thought USA did too, but apparently not. Was planning on getting that version with just the mappack. :-(

also how are the preorder skins obtained? i have it preordered but found it before release at a Kmart, but don't want to miss out on skins. Were they just early obtainables for preordering and I can unlock them once i get enough experience online? or are they gone forever unless they put them up as DLC?

BattleMonkey said:
With how small the communities for this game look like, I doubt the DLC will be worth it.
Yeah, I bought the Turok mappack but no one else did, so the ONE time I found a game to play in, it was me vs a party of 3 foreigners so I just got my shit pushed in and didn't have a good time.

randomwab

Just played the first chapter of the marine campaign, and it was pretty great. I was playing on Hard, and the aliens really are damn fast. The lighting is also pretty fantastic.

Annoyingly, I couldn't get the game to work in anything but DX9. It would crash everytime on DX11, even after I tried all of their hotfix suggestions. Hope a patch is released soon.

sk3tch

We'll see how right you soothsayers are regarding this game. That Tom Chick review scared the hell out of me. :lol

By and by...I just decided that I am a HUGE Aliens and Predators universe fan...so I figure I will get enjoyment out of this "average" game. Plus, it was $42 so if it sucks I can probably recoup most of my costs.

It should arrive on Saturday, at the latest (360 version).

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hi threadlings, what's the consensus on the sp campaigns?
I don't care for MP I just want to know how good/bad the marine (mostly) and Predator's campaings are? Xeno just a plus, don't really care for that one either.
Can you co-op the marines campaign?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Dash Kappei said:
Hi threadlings, what's the consensus on the sp campaigns?
I don't care for MP I just want to know how good/bad the marine (mostly) and Predator's campaings are? Xeno just a plus, don't really care for that one either.
Can you co-op the marines campaign?

what he said x infinity

Top Bottom