• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens Versus Predator Official Thread of Interspecies Carnage and Bill Paxton Quotes

MMaRsu

Dash Kappei said:
Hi threadlings, what's the consensus on the sp campaigns?
I don't care for MP I just want to know how good/bad the marine (mostly) and Predator's campaings are? Xeno just a plus, don't really care for that one either.
Can you co-op the marines campaign?

I'm loving it.. Predator campaign is pretty awesome, just being stealthy and killing dudes.

Marine campaign is also killing things :p.

Swittcher

Banned
MMaRsu said:
I'm loving it.. Predator campaign is pretty awesome, just being stealthy and killing dudes.

Marine campaign is also killing things :p.

Is it really hard to stealth kill marines in the Pred campaign? Every video I've ever seen has the Marines instantly knowing exactly where the Pred is, and the Pred is forced to mindless swing his claws until everything stops moving.

I just assumed whoever was playing was half-retarded.

I just got the game during my work break, can't wait to play tonight!

I'm wearing my Predator shirt RIGHT NOW.

sk3tch

I haven't followed every page of this thread, but are there any GAFfers that played the full game (not the MP demo) and just hated it?

Just trying to gauge the situation. Seems like everyone is finding fun in this game. It's just not critically good - i.e. if you compare it to what is available today - but the Aliens and Predator universe is the standout feature (locations, sounds, characters, etc.) making this average game totally fun to fans...

JoeBoy101

Swittcher said:
Is it really hard to stealth kill marines in the Pred campaign? Every video I've ever seen has the Marines instantly knowing exactly where the Pred is, and the Pred is forced to mindless swing his claws until everything stops moving.

I just assumed whoever was playing was half-retarded.

I just got the game during my work break, can't wait to play tonight!

I'm wearing my Predator shirt RIGHT NOW.

Pretty much. They CAN see you, but not immediately and not if alerted. Plus, you can distract them which is pretty much you being able to throw your voice and have target specific marines. Its pretty mean. I'd say 4 out of every 5 of my kills as a Predator are stealth kills. That is on marines. Aliens just bumrush your ass, but you have the skills to fight them off in melee.

sk3tch said:
making this average game totally fun to fans...

Yeah, I was going to recommend this game to a few buddies but then I thought, "Is my love for this based upon the license or the game itself." My joy comes from shooting a plasma rifle, cloaking then shooting that locking laser thingy, and taking my "mouth-mouth" and shoving it through some hapless foe's head.

Framerate keeps dropping to single digits for a couple of seconds for me, I'm guessing it's something to do with streaming? Wouldn't be too much of a problem if it didn't happen really frequently in some areas.

Milpool

Baloonatic said:
Framerate keeps dropping to single digits for a couple of seconds for me, I'm guessing it's something to do with streaming? Wouldn't be too much of a problem if it didn't happen really frequently in some areas.

I experienced this somewhere in the latter half of the Marine campaign, sometimes does it if I do a quick 180 too.

Just about to start the Alien missions, I like that they don't drag on. Just enough to get to grips with the classes.

Volcynika

Just a reminder to the newer posters as people get the game, we have a thread for people to play together in the online forum

Link

I had some good multiplayer matches last night with grendelrt and then fallengorn later. Will describe more later!

Pezking

Got the PS3 version yesterday.

Finished the marine campaign today. Took me about 4-5 hours.

I liked it quite a bit. The DTS sound is great, the controls are very good, and the overall atmosphere is just spot on. The developers definitely "get" what the franchise is all about.

The graphics are ok, but nothing to write home about. The frame rate is very stable, with some slight tearing here and there. Lightning effects are great.

I must say, I even liked the fact that the marine campaign wasn't longer. Just like "Ghostbusters" (which I played through last week in 6 hours), the gameplay isn't deep enough for a longer game.

So I welcomed that after about 40% of the whole story mode, I had to become a Predator (or Alien). It's just a nice and somehow needed change to keep a good (but not great) game fresh.

So I'm playing the Predator campaign right now. It's very different to playing a marine, and works pretty well. It feels a bit like the stealth segments of "Batman: Arkham Asylum", only not quite as good.

Overall, I don't regret the purchase. Just like with "Ghostbusters", you need to be a fan of the franchise to enjoy the game. If you are a fan, you're in for a fun ride.

nyong

Banned
Ugh, final Predator boss is a pain in the ass---
I hate the jump mechanics
. Found a way to cheeseball a win, though.

Landmines along circular path in middle until he hits half life. After cut scene, immediately STACK as many landmines on top of each other at the entrance as you can, then back up to the door and equip shoulder cannon. Pew pew pew. Repeat after following cutscene if he's not dead.

Personally, I am enjoying the hell out of MP. And I've just been playing DM whilst I wait for my buddies to pick this one up. What is Infestation and Predator Hunt like? Are they as good as they sounded? :)

Easy_D

never left the stone age
So, will the preorder exclusive maps become available for us mortals later? I seem to remember they'd arrive eventually, but I'm not sure if they were going to be patched in or be paid DLC.

Dave1988

I'm seeing that more and more people are playing AvP (PS3). The only problem is: most of them are playing custom games so it's kind hard to get into ranked matches -___-

Does anyone have any tips for playing as/against the aliens? Every time I attack a marine they just knock me down and shoot me before I can stand up, and when I am a marine the aliens just do this slide move and then grab me and kill me. I have been trying to stick to just playing as a predator.

CENOBITE

Just installed my DX11 enabled XFX Radeon HD 5770 card. I can't believe it... I could finally run ARMA II at a decent framerate! Now, I can't wait to install AvP for PC and check out the species deathmatch action!

I hope they hurry up with the dedicated server and server browser support soon, it's really hard to get into a game as the host leaves half the time. No host migration either :(

Fixed my framerate dipping problem by turning textures down to medium, runs silky smooth now.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
picked this up on 360 yesterday - only completed the first marine mission so far, but i've definitely had some scares. lots of shouting at the tv :lol

the atmosphere is pretty spot on in most places, though i can see how it would be lost once moving outside. i'm also confused by how
at the start of the second mission (in the sewers) i've lost my pulse rifle and back to the shitty pistol again? maybe i wasn't paying attention...
while i can see where the criticisms come from in terms of it feeling old fashioned etc (it does feel a little linear and archaic - pass point x and event happens, etc) the fun is in the scares and moments like catching a flash of an alien moving around on the walls with your flashlight while the motion tracker is going off. it's incredibly tense so far. plus hearing that pulse rifle sound made me smile.

i'm also not sold on the LB/RB blocking thing, it feels out of place and i'm having trouble nailing it every time but i'm sure i'll get used to it.

sk3tch said:
I haven't followed every page of this thread, but are there any GAFfers that played the full game (not the MP demo) and just hated it?

Just trying to gauge the situation. Seems like everyone is finding fun in this game. It's just not critically good - i.e. if you compare it to what is available today - but the Aliens and Predator universe is the standout feature (locations, sounds, characters, etc.) making this average game totally fun to fans...
i don't know about that. being an AvP fan didn't make me love the first movie, or have anything but hate for the last AvP game rebellion made (on PSP) or the movie it tied into.

i love the first three alien movies, and both predator movies, but for me the fun comes from a multiplayer game with asymettrical sides that play very differently.

like i said before i love Quake Wars despite it being set in a universe i loathe, this is way more asymettrical and so well balanced.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I played about half of the Alien campaign today on Hard and loved it. It's a lot of fun crawling around on the ceiling watching people until they are separated and alone and then pounce down on them. I'm sad that the game is going by so quickly. I definitely plan to make an attempt at Nightmare mode and I will probably just use a guide to get the collectables I missed... it removes the collectables you already found when you replay a level right?

Volcynika

Stallion Free said:
I played about half of the Alien campaign today on Hard and loved it. It's a lot of fun crawling around on the ceiling watching people until they are separated and alone and then pounce down on them. I'm sad that the game is going by so quickly. I definitely plan to make an attempt at Nightmare mode and I will probably just use a guide to get the collectables I missed... it removes the collectables you already found when you replay a level right?

Once you find a collectible, they won't appear again. (Though I haven't tried going back to previous levels and looking, but since it's tied to the achievement, makes sense that it wouldn't.)

Unicorn

Volcynika said:
Once you find a collectible, they won't appear again. (Though I haven't tried going back to previous levels and looking, but since it's tied to the achievement, makes sense that it wouldn't.)
Yeah, they disappear once you get 'em. I've reloaded checkpoints and they're gone once you get them

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I was just worried it would be akin to BioShock's audio diaries. I saw a tip on a loading screen that finding all the collectables for a given race would reveal something, has anyone completed any of the collectables? I'm curious as to what it is.

Arg, game was running silky smooth till somewhere in the temples on the Marine campaign and suddenly the game frame rate is in the single digits for no reason.

"Aliens vs. Predator isn’t an awful game, but it is incredibly disappointing since Rebellion appears to have done so little with the source material."

I dont get this part of the review, what more could they have done with the source material? They used all three races, and they used a lot of familiar looking environments, the audio diaries referenced he movies well. Just once I would like to see a reviewer actually back up a statement like this.

nyong

Banned
Ok, I'm stuck and this is driving me crazy. On the Alien campaign:

*Breach the main control building B01* - Is there a vent or something that I'm missing? This is later in the campaign, after you're outside, and a ways after the marines trap you in that room.

I think you have to destroy 2 or 3 of those energy cells, the ones that you hold X to interact with. Just keep walking around the level and you will find them all.

nyong

Banned
yankeehater said:
I think you have to destroy 2 or 3 of those energy cells, the ones that you hold X to interact with. Just keep walking around the level and you will find them all.

Yeah, I've done that already.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Stallion Free said:
I was just worried it would be akin to BioShock's audio diaries. I saw a tip on a loading screen that finding all the collectables for a given race would reveal something, has anyone completed any of the collectables? I'm curious as to what it is.
I hadn't heard about this. Anyone?

Maybe you missed one? I was stuck on that part for a while as well. After you break them all it opens up a passage under the building that you need to get into.

in this era of normal 5/5 and 10/10 reviews these 2/5 ones for this game disgust me, this game deserves pub than that, its an above-average game at the least for people not familiar with the movies/characters and is a really fun experience for Alien & Predator fans especially in MP when you play modes that require teamwork

the game has its faults, primarily that the matchmaking system is terrible on 360, and the campaign objectives are not really clear at some points in all 3 campaigns, and the campaigns don't tell compelling stories but for these people to claim there are issues with the graphics or controls seems like pure ignorance to me...

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Xamdou said:
So what's the consensus on AVP? Still pondering whether I should open my sealed copy or not ;O

Open it, it's awesome. I'm gonna be there day 1 for the sequel as well, although to be fair, I am a total slut for the universes.

Unicorn

Xamdou said:
So what's the consensus on AVP? Still pondering whether I should open my sealed copy or not ;O
What's stopping you this long? Are you more looking forward to single or multi more?

nyong

Banned
yankeehater said:
Maybe you missed one? I was stuck on that part for a while as well. After you break them all it opens up a passage under the building that you need to get into.

It was a vent. All 3 campaigns now finished on Hard.

I still can't get into an even close to full ranked game. Took me 4 minutes (timed it) to get into a game with 5 people during peak hours. I'm not exaggerating when I say that this is the worst multiplayer experience I have ever had in any game. Ever.

Nemesis_

Is there some fix or something coming for multiplayer? >_> Because it seems like it's taking AGES to find ANYTHING.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
nyong said:
It was a vent. All 3 campaigns now finished on Hard.

I still can't get into an even close to full ranked game. Took me 4 minutes (timed it) to get into a game with 5 people during peak hours. I'm not exaggerating when I say that this is the worst multiplayer experience I have ever had in any game. Ever.

Are you playing a console version? It actually seems like most of the interest/activity is on pc this time. The series just doesn't have the pedigree on consoles to give it the kind of community it needs. I've been able to get into plenty of bigger games and had a blast, and once dedicated servers are out the online scene will hopefully become a lot better.

This however is my biggest issue with most of the excessively negative and frankly unprofessional reviews. They're basically gimping the playerbase by scaring people away- you can probably blame gamespot's inability to turn on autotransition for the sorry state of matchmaking on consoles. The game deserves criticism for a few things, but it does not deserve the level it's been getting. I have never convinced myself a terrible game is better than it is out of blind adulation for the source material. Ever.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Xamdou said:

Don't. I don't know what the people in this thread are smoking, but it's distinctly mediocre. Multiplayer is horrible.

Just go pick up one of the PC games. They're infinitely better.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
yankeehater said:
"Aliens vs. Predator isn’t an awful game, but it is incredibly disappointing since Rebellion appears to have done so little with the source material."

I dont get this part of the review, what more could they have done with the source material? They used all three races, and they used a lot of familiar looking environments, the audio diaries referenced he movies well. Just once I would like to see a reviewer actually back up a statement like this.

You know, one of my biggest issues with the game so far is that it seems to draw too much on the Aliens Vs Predator movies over the Alien and Predator franchises, if that makes sense.

But I could be talking out of my ass.

Top Bottom