• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

graywolf323 said:
because I want the game on Steam :-/ where I do almost all my PC gaming (pretty much I get everything either on Steam or GOG.com)
Directtodrive has some great deals from time to time.

Emitan

graywolf323 said:
because I want the game on Steam :-/ where I do almost all my PC gaming (pretty much I get everything either on Steam or GOG.com)
I thought it was available on Steam.

scarybore

Baloonatic said:
No option for AA or AF in-game just so that people know. Menus feel built for consoles as well.

Edit: Bollocks, and don't alt-tab out either :lol

Pretty sure no AA option is par for the course with Unreal Engine 3, the AF is inexcusable though. It kind of amazes me that Capcom of all companies has pretty much all the graphical options I could ever want a few clicks away and developers doing PC games for much longer fail to do the same.

Anyway, sounds like I might play with my 360 controller then, I find it really weird playing games with menus not designed for keyboard and mouse (recent Bethesda games for instance).

Roughly 6 hours till it unlocks on Steam for me. :D

Mrbob

I think this game is screaming 50% off steam weekend sale to me.

I'm hoping the reason everything isn't fully fleshed out in AP (even though Obsidian had extra time) is due to work on Fallout New Vegas. I worry about that one too.

Deathcraze said:
It kind of amazes me that Capcom of all companies has pretty much all the graphical options I could ever want a few clicks away and developers doing PC games for much longer fail to do the same.
You should've seen the options in NWN2. :p

We all know who is to blame here.
Obsidian.

Darklord

Banned
kaysee said:
Actually, from what was told to us if the score is 8 and above the review can go up. For Anything lower you'll have to wait till june 1st for the embargo to end.

But I see no revi-...oh.

Xater

kaysee said:
Actually, from what was told to us if the score is 8 and above the review can go up. For Anything lower you'll have to wait till june 1st for the embargo to end.

Then my expectations will probably be justified.

Peff

Ouch... Can't say I didn't expect that, especially after the map stuff, but it's sad to see. I have a feeling most reviewers will either try too hard to go stealthy or just put every skill point in Assault Rifle and say it's too simple. If we add that to the already finicky looking gunplay and mechanics... :(

I've only done the opening section but the stealth seems ok to me. I have a skill which shows enemies' positions and which way they're facing.

Nemesis_

Larsen B said:
Can people post less impressions about stealth and shooting and more impressions about writing and choices?

I find the writing alright but the delivery terrible.

The choices, well, they seem to have repercussions but honestly I'm not seeing HEAPS of these repercussions being reflected. For example, in Country A, I am an asshole to someone and cut off their weeapon supply, but then I move on to Country B and it doesn't seem as though any of my decisions have repercussions.

Also, anyone know how to romance? I've almost finished one of the second countries and despite all my efforts it's not paying off. =P

ElNarez

Banned
kaysee said:
I'm gonna have to be doubtful of this, since there's already a 5/10 review floating around from what looks like a fairly-sized outlet.

Baloonatic said:
No option for AA or AF in-game just so that people know. Menus feel built for consoles as well.

That's a pity. Hopefully they've thrown in poor FOVs for widescreen resolutions with the inability to change it, and a "press [whatever] to play" screen.

ElNarez said:
I'm gonna have to be doubtful of this, since there's already a 5/10 review floating around from what looks like a fairly-sized outlet.

That's clearly the letter "S," and an S out of Z is very respectable.

Baloonatic said:

This is pretty standard for UE3 ports. Just jump into the config files and all will be well., the engine allows for lots of old school customisation.

kaysee said:

Eurogamer say their embargo is up tomorrow afternoon.

garath

whatevermort said:

I expect a 6 from Eurogamer based on the impressions I've read so far. Maaaaybe a 7 if they really look past the flaws.

duckroll

kaysee said:

Wow, if that's true then..... :lol

Pooya

kaysee said:
wow what kind of embargo is this? more like a filter:lol .

whatevermort said:
Now that I think about it, the game actually releases in our region tom but the review cant go up for a few more days
not that we're scoring it below 8, but our reviewer hasn't completed it yet
:lol

Vamphuntr

kaysee said:

Seems like I will save 60$

Acosta

kaysee said:

This is a blatant lie, the NDA is 28 for everyone.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
kaysee said:
Wow not buying now. Fuck that.

ElNarez said:
It might be a regional thing since we get our review copies from local distributors and not directly from sega or any publisher for other games

Acosta

Vamphuntr said:
An NDA up to release date (EU) is never a good thing though...

That's not the point. I just say that the score review is not compromised by any NDA from Sega, that's the fact.

panda21

Vamphuntr said:
An NDA up to release date (EU) is never a good thing though...

that seems to happened for almost everything recently though, whether its good or not. although i cant imagine this will do well.

Vamphuntr

Chrange said:

Fixed how? Did I ever say this was not the case? I don't like when the reviews are embargoed up until release day. I like to read some reviews before release to control my gaming purchases.

Xater

Vamphuntr said:

Yeah...

What the hell have they been doing all this time? I mean I saw it in August last year noticed alot of stuff, but it was delayed anyway. Alot of what I saw doesn't seem to be fixed. If only Obsidian could learn how to actually polish a game.

Axiom

I believe by the game being done for a while, they meant Sega took it off them and put it on the shelf until an opportune release window. With Fallout: New Vegas in full swing, you can imagine where the priority would be for the studio.

The oddest thing I noticed today, the trophy data on the PS3 isn't just listed by the game name, it's called 'Alpha Protocol trophy set'. I've never seen that before.

I like the game, and would recommend it still if you're the person who likes Choose Your Own Adventure books and can still enjoy a PS2 shooter, but I think a high 7 is about right for what's here, maybe an 8 depending on how it progresses - there's just so much potential here that it's a shame there likely won't be a Mass Effect 2 style 'we're fixing the shit you didn't like' sequel given how hard a game like this would be to make.

Xater

Axiom said:
I believe by the game being done for a while, they meant Sega took it off them and put it on the shelf until an opportune release window. With Fallout: New Vegas in full swing, you can imagine where the priority would be for the studio.

It's been done or ome time, but I am pretty sure they got some extra time.

Gestahl

Axiom said:
I believe by the game being done for a while, they meant Sega took it off them and put it on the shelf until an opportune release window.

This is exactly it from the horse's mouth, the delay was for business reasons only.

Darklord

Banned
Alpha Protocol's astounding intricacies are tarnished by bugs, clumsy gameplay mechanics, and rough production values.

This is the perfect example of why I don't think Obsidian are a good developer. There other popular games are almost copy & pasted from other developers yet they keep getting defended.

Kotor 2's core gameplay and graphics weren't changed at all from Kotor 1. What they added felt like something found in an expansion pack, with a full story. Itwas filled with dreaded performance, much worse than the original, bugs, balance issues but was brushed off as LucasArts fault.

NeverWinter Nights 2 was damn near unplayable when it came out but was brushed off as the expansion, finally fixed things up.

Fallout: New Vegas looks identical to Fallout 3 as well. They don't even give a graphics bump or anything.

And now this. No existing IP. No gameplay or core design to base off and enough delays to last a lifetime. And still. Still, this game has the issues that has plagued other games of theirs. No, no excuse this time. The game isn't even long. It's only around 16 hours. That's shorter than Mass Effect 1 which was slammed for only being 20 hours of story.

Top Bottom