• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

Enkidu

Bpatrol said:
Yeah I guess if you play games for good gameplay this would be a disapointment. Fucking console crowd eh?
Good gameplay is subjective. Not everyone thinks Mass Effect 2 is the ultimate RPG.

Peff

It really does seem like your choices affect outcomes throughout the whole game and don't just flick a "switch" for the ending or something shallow like that.

This is probably the most interesting part, given that it's Avellone material. Can you tell some examples? If it's different enough plus the specializations and relatively open levels, 11 hours is a pretty good amount. Leaves you wanting more but it's not too much to replay.

JayDubya said:
It has quite possibly the worst patching system I've ever seen.
Never had any problems with it, all you do is click "update" and it does everything for you. In fact, I'd say that it's one of the better patching systems I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with. I hope that made you feel better... what problems are you having exactly?

vocab

DannyCool said:
The game dont even got a map, you have to BUY A MAP for each location? And the map is even just in the Menu. No minimap, no waypoint direction for you too see clearly. You have too look around in the location to find the small glaring waypoint, just terrible.

I HATE TUFF GAMES

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if the PC version will support the 360 pad?

Actually, after being burned by the last three PC ports, I'm not sure what to do.

Dynoro

dark10x said:

Actually, after being burned by the last three PC ports, I'm not sure what to do.
The game is GFW (not GFWL though) so I suspect it will support it

hermit7

Pretty excited about this, but I will need to get the console version (360). How is it playing, is it buggy? I am not expecting it to be flawless presentation wise based on Obsidian's history, but so long as it plays well enough it should be fun.

I still holding off for impressions from PC gamers, but dannycool's comments are starting to make me hopeful. Plus I'm in the middle of NWN2: MotB so my expectations are quickly rising.

dark10x said:

Its an UE3 game, I really wouldn't worry about it, the engine performs brilliantly on PC.

graywolf323

have there been any reviews yet? :-s really want to pull the trigger on pre-purchasing but it's $50 which is hard to swallow (I mean I just got Red Dead Redemption for ~$35)

The Dutch Slayer said:
No euro release dutch shop

ah I misread, I thought you said gamestop not gameshop >_<

dark10x said:

yeah, there's a 360 controller switch in the options.

ap360.jpg

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
He was really, really bad at the game. He had been stuck at that part for a while. He kept trying to go guns blazing the whole time he was playing. He had like no skill points in the guns he was using and he kept dying. He never tried to be stealthy, never could hack shit on time or anything :lol. And this is just from my random glances at the stream, iwasn't even watching the whole time.

eXistor

I'm only still in the tutorial (I just wanted to get a little taste of the game before I jump into Mario Galaxy 2 tomorrow). So far I can't really comment on anything, but the game sure does make a bad first impression. I wasn't expecting anything graphically impressive, but this really does take some getting used to. It doesn't help that the controls are very wooden as well. I hope they'll introduce some actual rpg elements soon, because playing the tutorial I get the feeling it's gonna be action-orientated, which would be disastrous for the game.

But again, I didn't even finish the tutorial yet, so my opinion isn't valid in the least, it's just a quick first impression.

yeah, really bad tutorial area. and the me2 style minigames annoy me so fucking much. controls seem mostly fine to me, although it's way to close to me2. it feels exactly like playing me2, and I thought I liked that game ok while I was playing it.. in retrospect, I really didn't. hehe.

Taken from my impressions article (link below):

Somehow Sega and Obsidian caught me in a masochistic frame of mind when I first fired up Alpha Protocol. Not only did my Metal Gear-driven ego bring me to start the game on Hard, but I also decided to start my first playthrough on The Recruit setting, which starts you off with ZERO skills. The predictable result was a playthrough with lots of deaths in the beginning and fewer fatalities as the game progressed as I managed to earn a robust collection of skills and perks.

Touted as an "Espionage RPG", Alpha Protocol is the long-awaited stealth action/adventure title by Obsidian Entertainment (Neverwinter Nights 2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords), bringing their RPG experience into a Tom Clancy-esque world of covert ops, the military-industrial complex, standard issue saving-the-world-and-the-girl(s) heroics.

Despite what I chose to put myself through as The Recruit, you can start off the game with a moderately developed character right from the start, specializing in the run-and-gun style, sneaking, or technical proficiency. Whatever you choose, there'll be an opportunity to exercise all three skills in the field.

As with many Western RPGs, Alpha Protocol is filled with many multiple choice response situations, where the player can come across over 90 in a single playthrough. Moreover, your actions have repercussions that go beyond dialogue replies in cutscenes, giving the impression that Alpha Protocol has as much in common with Heavy Rain as it does with Mass Effect. You might find that an NPC will comment on something as superficial the armor you chose to wear or a female character will react when you flirt with another gal on the same conference call. In more serious matters, the fragile trust you have earned with an insider can be damaged because you thought that going nuts with an APC turret would not be a big deal.

This dialogue system is ultimately what compelled me to start a second playthrough immediately after the first one ended. Whereas my first session leaned toward "professional" responses with many deviations toward "tactical flirting", the recent finale of 24 inspired me to go for a "full aggressive" approach this time around even if that might turn off some of the ladies. I'm also planning to accept every Execution prompt that I come across. While that might ruin every agency relationship that I have, thereby depriving myself of assistance on the field, I am at least playing this second session on Easy. Alpha Protocol does not have a New Game+ but beating it once does unlock the Veteran setting which starts of the player at Level 3 for all 9 attributes (eg. firearms proficiency, martial arts, technical skill, toughness) not to mention a number of new dialogue choices sprinkled throughout the game.

If that was not enough, Alpha Protocol boasts a rather impressive cast of voice actors including Michael Bell, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, and James "Seinfeld....FOUR!" Hong. For those in the Nolan North Game of the Month Club, this prolific actor also make an appearance, this time in a refreshingly humorous role that is quite different from Nathan Drake, Desmond Miles or Jason Flemming.

(Gamerscore to date: 715. Gamertag: Circle of Vice)

http://www.examiner.com/x-13269-Gam...tocol-first-completed-playthrough-impressions

MMaRsu

The Dutch Slayer said:
I got a call today, my copy of AP came in.
I said:
snip

PS: for who are wondering, I have a great "relationship" with my local store I know the people who work there, they do not sell 2nd hand games because they want to keep the marketplace clean.
I respect them, but man that game just came out of nowhere :p

[edit] ow right spelling grammar.... not so good at that today. Sorry about that

Ehh dude what are you talking about man, games come in early all the time. It launches the 28th right here in the netherlands? Games come early all the time.. don't know what ur on about

gamersgate put up the keys a couple of days early even. hehe.

the game gets quite a lot better after the first region. quite. a lot

Ricker said:
Booo ;) play the damn thing for 1 hour at least and give us some impressions :lol
don't think anyone should be allowed to say anything about this game after only one hour. heh. really hated the beginning

This game has literally just caught my attention and I need to cram as much information into the next 24 hours as possible.

:lol

lsslave

Jew Gamer
My hype couldn't be any higher for this game (not including the fact I have a Naughty Bear preorder that I didn't pay for which now has me hyped for the end of June :D ModNation & Naughty Bear completely free of charge WOOT!)

With that said, I am going to play this game so many times, SOOOO many times. The fact its fairly short means less filler material means MORE AWESOME HELL YES TIME! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Any Aussies picked this up on steam yet since it's unlocked this morning? Unfortunately I have 4 major assignments due in the next week to capitalise on it's early release over here but I'd be interested to hear some PC impressions.

graywolf323

-htownplaya- said:
Every game has a review embargo of some sort. Some end weeks before release and some end the day of release, nothing new.

yes but the ones that end the day of release usually aren't good

Spoit

Enkidu said:
Good gameplay is subjective. Not everyone thinks Mass Effect 2 is the ultimate RPG.
Yeah, in fact some (though probably just me) think that it's only half of an RPG (though 3Xs the shooter) as the first one

Gestahl

2 gave you plenty of more opportunities to play out a paragon or renegade character than 1, so that complaint doesn't make any sense. Fixing the combat doesn't suddenly jut a game into a different genre.

I have no doubt that Alpha Protocol's going to offer an even more distinct and individualized experience than either of those two though, almost all of the impressions I've read have been mostly positive.

Top Bottom