• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

Denzar

Xater said:
Yeah...

What the hell have they been doing all this time? I mean I saw it in August last year noticed alot of stuff, but it was delayed anyway. Alot of what I saw doesn't seem to be fixed. If only Obsidian could learn how to actually polish a game.

Developing 2 games at once with a relatively small team.

Xater

Gestahl said:
This is exactly it from the horse's mouth, the delay was for business reasons only.

Then the build I saw last year might have been almost final? I really hope that's not the case. The original release was october right?

Vamphuntr

Deepack said:
Developing 2 games at once with a relatively small team.

Aren't they also working on that Wheel of time game and the rumored Square-Enix RPG?

Xater said:
Then the build I saw last year might have been almost final? I really hope that's not the case. The original release was october right?

What other big WRPG was released in that period :D ?

Denzar

Vamphuntr said:
Aren't they also working on that Wheel of time game and the rumored Square-Enix RPG?

What other big WRPG was released in that period :D ?

Don't know about that.

But I know that Matthew Rory quit Obsidian and is now part of the Screened.com team. One of Giant Bombs sister sites.

Maybe a sign of things not going so well?

Their Alien RPG was also canned some time ago.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Deepack said:
Don't know about that.

But I know that Matthew Rory quit Obsidian and is now part of the Screened.com team. One of Giant Bombs sister sites.

Maybe a sign of things not going so well?

Their Alien RPG was also canned some time ago.

Well, he left with Alex Navarro... that doesn't mean Harmonix is in trouble.

So as much as I have been enjoying the 360 version, I took my copy back last night to swap for the PC version... (my game shop didnt have the PC version earlier in the week)

End result: I'm very glad I changed to PC. Runs much better and just "feels" better to me.

Can't really describe what I mean by "feels better"... The game just seems at home on the PC.

And for those wondering, 360 controller works perfectly with PC version.

I couldn't care less about reviews, I'm really enjoying this game, flaws and all.

Bought this and started the download before I left for work this morning. Looks like I'll have a lot of time this weekend to enjoy it!

Alpha Protocol's astounding intricacies are tarnished by bugs, clumsy gameplay mechanics, and rough production values.

So it's an Obsidian game? FUCK YEAH!

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Darklord said:
This is the perfect example of why I don't think Obsidian are a good developer. There other popular games are almost copy & pasted from other developers yet they keep getting defended.

Kotor 2's core gameplay and graphics weren't changed at all from Kotor 1. What they added felt like something found in an expansion pack, with a full story. Itwas filled with dreaded performance, much worse than the original, bugs, balance issues but was brushed off as LucasArts fault.

NeverWinter Nights 2 was damn near unplayable when it came out but was brushed off as the expansion, finally fixed things up.

Fallout: New Vegas looks identical to Fallout 3 as well. They don't even give a graphics bump or anything.

And now this. No existing IP. No gameplay or core design to base off and enough delays to last a lifetime. And still. Still, this game has the issues that has plagued other games of theirs. No, no excuse this time. The game isn't even long. It's only around 16 hours. That's shorter than Mass Effect 1 which was slammed for only being 20 hours of story.

:lol :lol :lol

I was wondering when you would show up, Dark. And wouldnt having no core game to base it off of mean more bugs? I dont get what you are going on about there.

You know what else was unplayable at launch. NWN 1. You know why KotOR 2 was in the state it was in? Lucasarts pushed it out the door. That not an excuse, its the reason. I'm not saying you arent right about some things, but keep it consistent. There is a bit of bitter bioware fan in you (hello influence system where did you come from? KotOR II? Well now thats interesting.)

BanShunsaku said:
I couldn't care less about reviews, I'm really enjoying this game, flaws and all.
what are the flaws as you see it so far?

really getting into it now. super awesome. if only the apartment levels were bigger hubs like bloodlines. game would have been perfect

6/10 from gamespot is terrible

i like the site as well. their reviews are normally very good and they thankfully cover pc games quite extensively

shame

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Joseph Merrick said:
what are the flaws as you see it so far?

really getting into it now. super awesome. if only the apartment levels were bigger hubs like bloodlines. game would have been perfect

The goal of all rpgs should be to be more like Bloodlines. Are you getting the Bloodlines/Deus Ex feel that everyone predicted this game would have?

HK-47 said:
The goal of all rpgs should be to be more like Bloodlines. Are you getting the Bloodlines/Deus Ex feel that everyone predicted this game would have?
yeah, it definitely should. but not really, much like bloodlines. mostly only in the apartment stuff, email and monitor conversations. and watching the tv

Cep

Banned
HK-47 said:
You are a fool.

:lol

I very much agree, but I am not such because of this particular situation.

I plan to bum Galaxy from a friend in a couple of weeks, so I will play it soon enough.

Plasma

Banned
Got the game this morning and I've just finished it.

Overall I really enjoyed, the characters and the story were well done and I don't want to spoil any of it so that's all I'll mention on them.

The gameplay though is such a mixed bag, once you start investing points into weapons the shooting does become a bit better but it is still really clunky and unresponsive. Basically to line up any shot you have to hold down the aim button until the reticule goes red, if you fire when its not dead on then it is likely that it is going to miss or at least it won't kill them.

My main gripe with the game is the minigames they make you do for hacking things, I don't know if it was because the game was made for controllers or not but the hacking minigame is awful with a keyboard and mouse. You have a set of numbers and letters on the screen that are constantly changing and then you have to match up bits of code with the ones you have at the top of the screen. To move one of the cursors to the right bit of code you use WASD and to move the other one you use the mouse. It is so slow to move both of them and this really becomes a problem later on in the game because the timers get shorter and so do the code combination. This makes them harder to see inside of the jumble of changing letters and numbers, on top of that there is also another counter at the bottom which will change where the codes are which makes it even harder to hit.

I know it sounds like I'm really ranting about the game but despite the negatives I really did enjoy it and I can't wait to play it again and see how I could do things differently to influence the story.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Plasma said:
Got the game this morning and I've just finished it.

Overall I really enjoyed, the characters and the story were well done and I don't want to spoil any of it so that's all I'll mention on them.

The gameplay though is such a mixed bag, once you start investing points into weapons the shooting does become a bit better but it is still really clunky and unresponsive. Basically to line up any shot you have to hold down the aim button until the reticule goes red, if you fire when its not dead on then it is likely that it is going to miss or at least it won't kill them.

My main gripe with the game is the minigames they make you do for hacking things, I don't know if it was because the game was made for controllers or not but the hacking minigame is awful with a keyboard and mouse. You have a set of numbers and letters on the screen that are constantly changing and then you have to match up bits of code with the ones you have at the top of the screen. To move one of the cursors to the right bit of code you use WASD and to move the other one you use the mouse. It is so slow to move both of them and this really becomes a problem later on in the game because the timers get shorter and so do the code combination. This makes them harder to see inside of the jumble of changing letters and numbers, on top of that there is also another counter at the bottom which will change where the codes are which makes it even harder to hit.

I know it sounds like I'm really ranting about the game but despite the negatives I really did enjoy it and I can't wait to play it again and see how I could do things differently to influence the story.

You beat it in a day? Goodness.

Plasma

Banned
Cep said:
Jesus son...

Did you savor it at least?

I didn't blast through it no :p

I can't just leave new games unfinished for some reason, now I can go back to modelling without it being in the back of my mind.

graywolf323

ElNarez said:
Apparently pre-orders on Steam are closed. God damnit I WANT MY CHRIS AVELLONE GOODNESS NOW!

lets me add to my cart no problem

apparently the UK version is about $15 cheaper though o_O

anyone in the UK wanna help out? ^_^

ArjanN

harry4000uk said:
6/10 from gamespot is terrible

i like the site as well. their reviews are normally very good and they thankfully cover pc games quite extensively

shame

Are... are we talking about the same gamespot?

IMO Gamespot reviews are pretty mediocre, and they seem to rate games based on hype.

Des0lar said:
Didn't know this was 25Pounds at www.direct2drive.co.uk. Bought, that's just 30€.
A fair price I think. Also you get Space Siege as a bonus, but I don't know what to think of that :lol

Hmm can someone in the US buy it from D2D UK?

Also how taxing is the game expected to be graphics wise. I have a laptop that can at best can run something like World in Crisis on Low-Med settings?

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Hmm can someone in the US buy it from D2D UK?

Also how taxing is the game expected to be graphics wise. I have a laptop that can at best can run something like World in Crisis on Low-Med settings?
how well does it run ue3 games? me2?

pilonv1

graywolf323 said:
lets me add to my cart no problem

apparently the UK version is about $15 cheaper though o_O

anyone in the UK wanna help out? ^_^

I've been asking for 24hrs now, I'm desperate for a UKer to gift me a copy. It's US$70 for Australians so the difference for me is $35.

pilonv1 said:
I've been asking for 24hrs now, I'm desperate for a UKer to gift me a copy. It's US$70 for Australians so the difference for me is $35.

It's £24.95 on gamersgate.co.uk, you might be able to order it from there? Not sure if it will let you, worth a try I guess...

yeah, should be possible to log in to the uk site from anywhere. that's a really nice price. sometimes the uk site is better, sometimes the regular europe one. the blue coins are worth the same across the sites, so it's easy to keep track on which is cheaper heh

Dead Man

Plasma said:
When will someone have the balls to make a spy/action/stealth/rpg/whatever game with no retarded hacking mini game? Just make it like life for once, you need to actually figure out or steal passwords, or blackmail people for access, or something.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Darklord said:
This is the perfect example of why I don't think Obsidian are a good developer. There other popular games are almost copy & pasted from other developers yet they keep getting defended.

Kotor 2's core gameplay and graphics weren't changed at all from Kotor 1. What they added felt like something found in an expansion pack, with a full story. Itwas filled with dreaded performance, much worse than the original, bugs, balance issues but was brushed off as LucasArts fault.

NeverWinter Nights 2 was damn near unplayable when it came out but was brushed off as the expansion, finally fixed things up.

Fallout: New Vegas looks identical to Fallout 3 as well. They don't even give a graphics bump or anything.

And now this. No existing IP. No gameplay or core design to base off and enough delays to last a lifetime. And still. Still, this game has the issues that has plagued other games of theirs. No, no excuse this time. The game isn't even long. It's only around 16 hours. That's shorter than Mass Effect 1 which was slammed for only being 20 hours of story.
More like 11 hours.:p

vocab

Yup, Mass Effect 1 with out the side shit is seriously 10-12 hours. I don't mind short games if they are quality hours of game play.

MannahContana

Neo Member
Nerd fights between Obsidian and Bioware fanboys always make me laugh. Its like watching to bald white men fighting each other, to the rest of the world you look the same.

'I love Bioware games, I played both the KOTOR's' - Michael Donohue EGM.

'Bioware have made many great games, Baldurs Gate, KOTOR, Planescape' - Jeremy Parish 1up.

'Well actually Planescape wasn't us, its some of our very good friends at Obsidian' - Greg Zeschuck '

'All the same to us' - Scooter.

Picked up my copy today (360 version) and I'm enjoying it so far. It has a slightly clunky feel to it but it's charming in an odd sort of way.

The 11/12 hour gameplay sounds fine to me, I kinda liked burning through Mass Effect in that time, giving me more time to play through again and see different things.

Cep

Banned
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Canceled my order as soon as I got home and booted up Nocturne.

Hopefully my friend finishes it soon so I can :lol some more.

Cep

Banned
miladesn said:

The controls were so bad...

...I have never dived for a 360 controller on a PC game so quickly.

Things that annoyed me:

-Clunky controls: Using a M/K is almost out of the question.

-Voice Acting: Embarrassing. It is not so much the voicing as it is the delivery

-Writing: :lol. Though to be fair, I only played up until part of the first mission, but what I saw was clunkier than the controls.

-RPG elements/leveling: Surprisingly cool. Lots of opportunity for unique builds. I really want to build a Stealthy Shotty-toting Martial Artist Tank.

-Stance system: I really am not a fan, would really have preferred text, though I suppose I just really like to know what the direct consequences of my actions are going to be, that is a me problem.

-Technically: Tearing all over the place (first time it has bothered me in a game), painful animations(both body and face), questionable framerate

Things that I loathe:

-The way you are supposed to use skills/gadgets. They really should have copied ME on this one.

Still, lots of potential. Definitely feels like it will get better, so I am still anticipating my return to the game soon.

Cep said:
-Technically: Tearing all over the place (first time it has bothered me in a game), painful animations(both body and face), questionable framerate

On the PC version? :/

I'm not having any problems with the controls outside of maybe the hacking mini game someone mentioned earlier.

Top Bottom