• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

Vinci

Danish
lsslave said:
Sometimes the B tier is more fun than AAA, you just can't expect the same quality in terms of polish. A B movie won't have the same special effects as a AAA blockbuster but there are some of those I'd definitely watch first.

I'm not disagreeing with you in that sense at all. What I'm saying is that this generation has been consistently about upping standards in presentation for many, many gamers. That's what they want. Which is why publishers are releasing safer titles - they're having to spend obscene amounts of cash on the things in order to get people's attention.

Last generation, flawed games were reasonably all right, but we've gone a long way towards further homogenization and standardization of controls and experiences since this gen began.

graywolf323 said:
did you ignore the Joystiq review? not to mention GameSpot's 6.0

the reviews for this game are all over the place, 1UP just gave it a B+
I would like to take a look at 1up's in office scoring system, it is really flakey. I mean I love their previews and other content but ever since the the big hooplah a few years ago, I don't read their reviews the game is average 7/10 C whatever. If you are looking for a fix for this style of game until Mass effect 3 it will do the trick. But if you are not really into these character focused RPGs the unpolished gameplay and glitches will get you really frustrated.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
How deep the is the customization? Just facial features, glasses, etc. or can I be someone other than a high-fiving white guy?

bishoptl said:
How deep the is the customization? Just facial features, glasses, etc. or can I be someone other than a high-fiving white guy?

No. You can change your hair, eye color, glasses, hat, or slightly alter your pigmentation (ie give yourself a tan). But there isn't a true character creator.

Acosta

bishoptl said:

APGame_2010-05-28_03-31-54-30.jpg

In all honesty, pretty poor, that one in the pic is the maximum skin tone you can use. You have some glasses, hats, beards and hairs, but nothing more.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Vinci said:
I'm not disagreeing with you in that sense at all. What I'm saying is that this generation has been consistently about upping standards in presentation for many, many gamers. That's what they want. Which is why publishers are releasing safer titles - they're having to spend obscene amounts of cash on the things in order to get people's attention.

Last generation, flawed games were reasonably all right, but we've gone a long way towards further homogenization and standardization of controls and experiences since this gen began.

Your use of homogenization speaks directly to what I am feeling, although we seem to be on different sides.

Games I DIDN'T buy: Red Dead Redemption, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Alan Wake, Blur, etc.

These games bore the piss out of me, I might have been excited about them before but now its creativity and new things that entertain me. I am tired of AAA games that are boring and get replaced in 1-2 years by a sequel or a nearly identical game.

Games like Overlord (I want to get #2) and the upcoming Naughty Bear are the kinds of games that appeal to me. These are made by smaller companies, are nowhere near AAA, but I have ridiculous amounts of excitement for these titles.

I'm more excited for Enslaved than I am for Vanquish. I am pretty much opposite end of the gaming spectrum from most of GAF, I want something original and incredibly fun over something polished. If the new unique idea sells well then its successor can be polished, if people keep going after the blockbusters and ONLY the blockbusters its going to be FPS/GTA clone/etc. land and gaming will get SOOOO boring.

graywolf323

lsslave said:
Your use of homogenization speaks directly to what I am feeling, although we seem to be on different sides.

Games I DIDN'T buy: Red Dead Redemption, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Alan Wake, Blur, etc.

These games bore the piss out of me, I might have been excited about them before but now its creativity and new things that entertain me. I am tired of AAA games that are boring and get replaced in 1-2 years by a sequel or a nearly identical game.

Games like Overlord (I want to get #2) and the upcoming Naughty Bear are the kinds of games that appeal to me. These are made by smaller companies, are nowhere near AAA, but I have ridiculous amounts of excitement for these titles.

I'm more excited for Enslaved than I am for Vanquish. I am pretty much opposite end of the gaming spectrum from most of GAF, I want something original and incredibly fun over something polished. If the new unique idea sells well then its successor can be polished, if people keep going after the blockbusters and ONLY the blockbusters its going to be FPS/GTA clone/etc. land and gaming will get SOOOO boring.

there's something wrong with you if you think Red Dead Redemption and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are stale and boring...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Zeouterlimits said:
Giantbomb just put up a Quick Look.

:-/

I'm with Shake Appeal, fan of Obsidian, but I'll wait for a sale, PC or 360.

Edit: Derp, nice timing :D

The game looks fun, but the framerate in that version (PS3 version I think?) looked rather atrocious. I wonder if that was just the video. I'm sure I have nothing to worry about on the PC, but I hope the console versions don't run as bad as that video made it look.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I can understand what you're saying, but including Mario Galaxy 2 on there doesn't make a lot of sense. It may be a sequel, but the game is just bursting with creative juices. They have you doing new and different things nearly every level! Mario Galaxy 2 is the polar opposite of stale and boring.

The game looks fun, but the framerate in that version (PS3 version I think?) looked rather atrocious. I wonder if that was just the video. I'm sure I have nothing to worry about on the PC, but I hope the console versions don't run as bad as that video made it look.
Don't jinx the PC version, man. I've already read impressions suggesting that it ran way worse on the PC than it had any right to (slower than pretty much any other UE3 game). Guess I'll find out soon.

coopolon

graywolf323 said:
there's something wrong with you if you think Red Dead Redemption and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are stale and boring...

It's possible to release polished AND creative games. SMG2 is a great example of that.

Vinci

Danish
lsslave said:

Not as much as you think.

Only one of those I'm buying is Galaxy 2, but that's due to the amount of creativity in that title. RDR interests me due to its setting. Don't see westerns running around very much.

I'm pretty similar actually. I prefer indie games this generation. One of my favorite games released in the last several years is Canabalt, for crying out loud; I play the hell out of that.

I want new experiences and ideas, don't misunderstand me. But in the current market, they have to be relatively solid from a fundamentals standpoint. I'd rather a developer not even try to appeal to that rabid AAA market if they aren't able to - scale down, deliver a more focused, more tight, and more solid experience that still delivers on the unique concepts they want to push.

What I'm suggesting is that developers need to recognize their strengths and weaknesses and deliver where they're best able to, not take on something that places them in the worst possible position in which they're basically begging to get ripped apart by the horde.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Anyone else lose all dialogue options if they force AA/AF with CCC? Only played about an hour, enjoying it so far.

Acosta

Macstorm said:
RPGamer's PC Alpha Protocol Review - Our guy gave it a 4/5 and couldn't stop playing it.

I'm familiar with that, the night I started playing I started at 11:00 and finished at 6:30 am when I was watching the sun rising and I was like WTF. If the story clicks with you, it´s a really awesome experience.

Edit: Finished reading the review, really agree with it, it mirrors my experience (except that I had quite a lot of money because I was barely using weapons or tools and got quite a lot of money from the guys I spared, I ended buying the most expensive infiltration suit and still had money, never felt I had to worry too much for it).

dark10x said:
Don't jinx the PC version, man. I've already read impressions suggesting that it ran way worse on the PC than it had any right to (slower than pretty much any other UE3 game). Guess I'll find out soon.

I don't have a super computer (E8400 and ATI 4850) but I'm getting 60fps and not having any technical issues.

Macstorm said:
RPGamer's PC Alpha Protocol Review - Our guy gave it a 4/5 and couldn't stop playing it.

Obsidian and SEGA have created a polished, one-of-a-kind RPG that pushes the boundaries of storytelling, customization, and role playing in a third person shooter so far, they may well have invented a new type of game that others will rush to imitate.

Alpha Protocol is a 100% full out, third person shooter. More importantly, it's a great third person shooter that gives the top games in the genre a run for their money.

Well...it's certainly a different impression than what else we've had.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Baloonatic said:
I don't have a super computer (E8400 and ATI 4850) but I'm getting 60fps and not having any technical issues.

Awesome! My Q6600 and ATI 5870 should have no problem then.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Joseph Merrick said:
what do you mean lose? did you force away the 2d graphics layer?
You just see the circles and not the text for each option.

I expected the game to be polarizing, but reviews are all over the map. I'm probably going to pick it up down the road, hopefully some PC mods / patches will help with all the technical issues.

dark10x said:
constant 60 for me. no dips. I tried fraps'ing some footage last night but the loading someone mentioned in the thread on the last page or something made it impossible to fraps. every 10 secs or so it's loading stuff. it's only noticable for me with fraps recording. gives like half a second lag, so if you're looking one way then the lag hit's you're suddenly turned 180 degrees around. could be an issue on poorer systems maybe, no idea

Sir Garbageman said:
I expected the game to be polarizing, but reviews are all over the map. I'm probably going to pick it up down the road, hopefully some PC mods / patches will help with all the technical issues.
don't think there's any point to mods, especially on the pc. game is fine. are some small issues, I mentioned the menu interface glitch earlier in the thread, it's happened now and then throughout. they need to sort that out, but it's a very minor issue. just going back one menu layer and in again and it's sorted. haven't run into any big tech issues at all

lsslave

Jew Gamer
First off, I only mentioned Super Mario Galaxy 2 as an example of something I wouldn't buy. Rockstar has always bored the piss out of me though, I can't name one of their titles I actually like. Still, SMG2 I will get eventually, its just not a "HYPE OVERLOAD" thing for me.

Vinci said:
Not as much as you think.

Only one of those I'm buying is Galaxy 2, but that's due to the amount of creativity in that title. RDR interests me due to its setting. Don't see westerns running around very much.

I'm pretty similar actually. I prefer indie games this generation. One of my favorite games released in the last several years is Canabalt, for crying out loud; I play the hell out of that.

I want new experiences and ideas, don't misunderstand me. But in the current market, they have to be relatively solid from a fundamentals standpoint. I'd rather a developer not even try to appeal to that rabid AAA market if they aren't able to - scale down, deliver a more focused, more tight, and more solid experience that still delivers on the unique concepts they want to push.

What I'm suggesting is that developers need to recognize their strengths and weaknesses and deliver where they're best able to, not take on something that places them in the worst possible position in which they're basically begging to get ripped apart by the horde.

Alright, I definitely see what you mean. How you put it I thought you actually like how this gen is focused on the next big FPS or open world game. Its no different than the JRPG centric PS2 generation following Final Fantasy blowing up (and ruining that genre completely since no one really tried anything new)

One of the things, which I think is what you are getting at with your last half of the post, is that devs who make smaller games need to really REALLY have lower expectations. If Alpha Protocol was aimed to sell, for example, 150K and be a success I think it could easily meet or pass expectations.

The other problem I have with this generation, which goes right with my "generation getting stale" feeling and everything like that is that is that every game has to be a million seller on day 1. I've never understood that, and it depresses me to no end that what has happened is a lot of games get one shot, the first week. If it doesn't sell millions the stores consider it a bomb and get rid of it.

It basically has made it so everyone has to Day1 the games they want to succeed. I feel bad I haven't picked up NMH2 yet and its down to 20 bucks. I wanted to support the game, I just don't have the cash to get my new Wii yet. Things like that show a market that is hurting.

DVDs can sit on shelves without a major price drop for a year but gaming gets 1 week (maybe 1 month) to be the next big hit. This is causing people to do the "next big FPS!" or "next big GTA clone!" and even with the RPG market we aren't getting unique attempts (Robotrek was one hell of a flawed game but I loved every bloody second of that back in the day)

I truly hope devs get past this "WE NEED A MILLION SELLER" thing (which I think is really REALLY hurting the industry, if a game bombs it takes a company with it and thats just sad) and start trying to reach a smaller loyal base and then fix up their games. Final Fantasy wasn't mega huge until its 7th installment ffs!

If Alpha Protocol were a B tier game trying for 200K sales and that would be perfect I would say this game is a masterpiece, but where it goes wrong is I think that the devs wanted it to be a AAA million seller (they might not, but I don't know what their goals are) and if so they will see it as a failure.

Its just my rant on the industry. We have an industry of bare bones indie titles or else big blockbusters, we don't have people going smaller scale but still trying something unique and fun without being tiny and indie. Is 300K sales really that bad if thats what a dev aims for?

Pooya

brain_stew said:
Oh............

Lets all just pretend the PS3 version doesn't exist, agreed?

:lol
o_O I can't watch the video from here, How is it?

Kagari said:
Have the minimum requirements been posted anywhere?
yes.

System Requirements

o Supported OS: Microsoft Windows XP® or Windows Vista®
o Processor: 2.4+ GHZ Intel® or 2.0+ GHZ AMD™
o Memory: 1 GB RAM (Windows XP®,) 2 GB RAM (Windows Vista®)
o Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce 6 series (6800GT or better,) ATI™ 1300XT series or greater (X1550, X1600 Pro and HD2400 are below minimum system requirements)
o Hard Drive: At least 12 GB of free space
o Sound Card: DirectX® 9.0c compatible sound card and drivers
o DirectX®: 9.0c

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Sir Garbageman said:

This confuses me. Reviews are all over the map so its bad? The game is divided, I would say if its universally panned it would be a bad thing but being all over is a bad thing? I find that exciting since if reviews are always good I am always let down :lol

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Ok, so I finished the first section and now I'm at the hub in Saudi Arabia.

So far:

-animations: pretty bad, almost fallout 3 bad.
-writing: decent, that's all. Mass Effect writing is actually more colourful. Brian Mitsoda would save this game, but oh well
-graphics: not as bad as I was expecting
-shooting: actually this feels good and RPG-ish. I want Deus Ex 3 to use smth like that.
-stealth: it's ok and works
-perfomance: steady 60 fps on phenom II x4, 5770, infrequent 1 sec loads
-customization: wow, that's a big weapon store.

Overall feel: b-movie

edit: also no bugs occured. Yet.

Peff

Kagari said:

I think it's those, I'll check it out in a while in the box if nobody confirms it.

Alpha Protocol
Minimum System Requirements

# Supported OS: Microsoft Windows XP® or Windows Vista®
# Processor: 2.4+ GHZ Intel® or 2.0+ GHZ AMDTM
# Memory: 1 GB RAM (Windows XP®,) 2 GB RAM (Windows Vista®)
# Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce 6 series (6800GT or better,) ATITM 1300XT series or greater (X1550, X1600 Pro and HD2400 are below minimum system requirements)
# Hard Drive: At least 12 GB of free space
# Sound Card: DirectX® 9.0c compatible sound card and drivers
# DirectX®: 9.0c

I've been wondering all day whether to pick it up or not :( I guess I'll bite, it's 30€ and the RPG stuff seems really good, even if the port and gunplay are not quite up to snuff.

miladesn said:
O_O I can't watch the video from here, How is it?

In terms of framerate/tearing, I'd feel I was being way too kind to the game by using the phrase "a complete mess." It aint pretty, PC (and possibly but probably not, 360) or bust.

Kagari said:
According to obsidian.net forums:

Minimum:
Operating System: Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
Processor 2.66GHz (Intel Pentium) or Athlon XP 2400+(AMD)
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Hard Drive: 12 GB available hard drive space
Video Card (graphics): DirectX 9.1, Pixel Shader 3.0 and 256 MB (i.e. GeForce 7900 or ATI 1800)
Sound: DirectX 9.1 compatible
Keyboard, Mouse

Recommended:
Operating System: Windows XP or Vista
Processor: 3.0 GHz Dual Core CPU / Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5600+ (or better)
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Hard Drive: 12 GB available hard drive space
Video Card (graphics): DirectX 9.1, Pixel Shader 3.0 and 512 MB (i.e. GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon HD 2900)
Sound: DirectX 9.1 compatible
Keyboard, Mouse

Unofficial fansite of course, but I just followed the link from the Obsidian site.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Peff said:
I think it's those, I'll check it out in a while in the box if nobody confirms it.

Alpha Protocol
Minimum System Requirements

# Supported OS: Microsoft Windows XP® or Windows Vista®
# Processor: 2.4+ GHZ Intel® or 2.0+ GHZ AMDTM
# Memory: 1 GB RAM (Windows XP®,) 2 GB RAM (Windows Vista®)
# Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce 6 series (6800GT or better,) ATITM 1300XT series or greater (X1550, X1600 Pro and HD2400 are below minimum system requirements)
# Hard Drive: At least 12 GB of free space
# Sound Card: DirectX® 9.0c compatible sound card and drivers
# DirectX®: 9.0c

I've been wondering all day whether to pick it up or not :( I guess I'll bite, it's 30€ and the RPG stuff seems really good, even if the port and gunplay are not quite up to snuff.

Pretty low specs...
Guess I won't have any trouble running max settings then.

chiba

Pre-ordered this off amazon, can't wait. I think this is my 1st PC game I've bought on disc since the last wow xpac.
steam lol

Couldn't resist amazons deal though. Between the 5dollar off preorder and a 20dollar credit from po'n rdr, I payed 36bucks with 1day shipping, not bad.:D

KingJ2002

i was looking forward to this game but the wide gap in reviews is shying me away from this game.. i still have it in my game queue in gamefly so ill wait for the metacritic to see if it's worth playing or not

i still have alan wake, splinter cell: conviction (taking my time), Mass Effect 2 DLC's and super mario galaxy 2 to play so i could pass this up... but the concept of this game really grabbed me.

I canceled my pre-order a month or two back after each new piece of coverage dampened my excitement, but I was still fairly certain that I'd end up buying it on day one. This sounds like the sort of game that I'll buy for $20 and be pleasantly surprised.

Acosta said:

We have to go back, Kate.

Ikuu said:
You just see the circles and not the text for each option.
ok. haven't had that. I've been running forced aa/af through the nvidia thing. didn't really notice a difference in game though, but also not really paying attention to the graphics anyway. it looks pretty poor

CabbageRed said:
I canceled my pre-order a month or two back after each new piece of coverage dampened my excitement, but I was still fairly certain that I'd end up buying it on day one. This sounds like the sort of game that I'll buy for $20 and be pleasantly surprised.
are you a uk'er cabbage? it's only £18 from play. definitely worth it. or £25 from gamersgate

Railer

Kagari said:
Pretty low specs...
Guess I won't have any trouble running max settings then.

Yeah, I'm running it at 1680x1050 with max settings and my comp isn't that new. A duo core 3ghz, 4 gig ram and a 512mb ati 4850.

I haven't noticed any bugs so far in the game.

subversus said:
and yes, for now the game feels like poor man's Mass Effect.
hehe yeah. agreed. it felt like a horrible me2 mod to me for the first couple of hours. need to boost points into those skills and it will get into its own

syllogism said:
Many great PC games have reviews all over the map; see The Witcher and especially Risen.
heh. well risen was the same as this wasn't it. all the places reviewing the console version scored it poorly

Joseph Merrick said:
are you a uk'er cabbage? it's only £18 from play. definitely worth it. or £25 from gamersgate

US, but hopefully those prices mean that we'll see some good DD deals much sooner than I had expected. It is strange/a pity that Impulse isn't currently showing AP in their Coming Soon tab, as GG's servers give me pretty horrible transfer rates.

syllogism said:
Many great PC games have reviews all over the map; see The Witcher and especially Risen.

But I think that has a lot to do with certain publications not taking Central and Eastern European developers seriously.

Hey!

at least they showed the PS3 version in that quicklook. Honestly a suprise as it seems like Giantbomb tends to just capture the majority of their stuff on the 360 side (I imagine cause it's easier).

Xater

AgentOtaku said:
Hey!

at least they showed the PS3 version in that quicklook. Honestly a suprise as it seems like Giantbomb tends to just capture the majority of their stuff on the 360 side (I imagine cause it's easier).

I think that's probably the version they get first most of the time. We also now what achievement whores these guys can be. :lol

Top Bottom