• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

Cep

Banned
Vinci said:
Holy hell, what?! Avellone?!

This can't be right.

So far? I think it may be.

Edit: Sweet! I think that I fixed the frame-rate/tearing problem (not suffering any of the stuttering that others still seem to). Unfortunately my friend is way further ahead than yesterday so I have no idea what is going on.

jcm

eznark said:
Sterling is, as a rule, a moron but if the technical issues are really as atrocious as both he and McElroy say...I'm going to have to wait for a bit to see if it gets patched.

2hebmn4.png

Tough break for the realtor.

Axiom

Some good times in Rome, best fun I've had in the game so far. I wish the whole game was full of more things like that "sniper" mission.

I've had no problems on my PS3 playing the game, no worse than anyone is reporting. You really have to go into the game wanting to play a Choose Your Own Adventure not the shooting parts though.

Still a high 7 for me. But from someone who likes the game, I don't understand any review, even from an RPG outlet that praises the shooting. Any RPG outlet reviewing Alpha should have played Mass Effect 2 already, and even if not they've had plenty of time to play Mass Effect 1 which still had better combat.
The choice is what makes this game, you have to go in wanting that Heavy Rain style 'My game was way different than yours' experience and that really has to be enough for you.

There should be plenty of people out there that'd be fine with that, but it's going to have a hell of a time finding those people if you trick the shooter audience who hated Mass Effect 1 into playing this.

Cep

Banned
Axiom said:
Some good times in Rome, best fun I've had in the game so far. I wish the whole game was full of more things like that "sniper" mission.

I've had no problems on my PS3 playing the game, no worse than anyone is reporting. You really have to go into the game wanting to play a Choose Your Own Adventure not the shooting parts though.

Still a high 7 for me. But from someone who likes the game, I don't understand any review, even from an RPG outlet that praises the shooting. Any RPG outlet reviewing Alpha should have played Mass Effect 2 already, and even if not they've had plenty of time to play Mass Effect 1 which still had better combat.
The choice is what makes this game, you have to go in wanting that Heavy Rain style 'My game was way different than yours' experience and that really has to be enough for you.

There should be plenty of people out there that'd be fine with that, but it's going to have a hell of a time finding those people if you trick the shooter audience who hated Mass Effect 1 into playing this.

Come on, you could have chosen a better example.

Vamphuntr

OUCH! After reading the reviews, I will wait for it to price drop. It should be 45$ in about a month. I guess if you are an Obsidian fan it will be an incredible experience for you but I'm more a fan of WRPG with choices/branches than a fan of the company.

There is no way my laptop will run that so I will be stuck with the 360 version :( .

EDIT : Destructoid is really harsh with it

http://www.destructoid.com/review-alpha-protocol-174617.phtml

The game's graphical presentation does a good job of matching the atrocious quality of the gameplay, with textures that frequently pop in and out, all manner of visual glitches such as floating objects or unresponsive targeting, and just good old fashioned bad animations and sub-par effects typifying the game's commitment to being bad. This is all topped off with mediocre voice acting, mediocre sound effects, and mediocre music. Essentially, Alpha Protocol looks exactly how it plays -- like a bad budget game that isn't even worth $20, let alone the $59.99 asking price.

ElNarez said:
Finished Saudi Arabia. It definitely has technical issues, but if you can overcome them, you have one of the most interesting RPGs out there. At least the first chapter.

That's my thoughts too. It has issues, but I'm willing to look past them for really fun gameplay.

Vamphuntr said:
I guess if you are an Obsidian fan it will be an incredible experience for you but I'm more a fan of WRPG with choices/branches than a fan of the company.
not so sure this makes any sense at all. I'm definitely more a fan of choices/branches than a fan of obsidian. huge fan of bloodlines. the only really bad taste obsidian look how clever this is writing I've seen is in the tutorial. the rest has been fine

Axiom

Cep said:
Come on, you could have chosen a better example.
I can't keep using Mass Effect as the only 'Decisions change major and minor story beats' example.
They really need a name for this style of game storytelling...that doesn't come from Japanese dating sims.

graywolf323

I asked the RPGamer reviewer in their forums to elaborate on the polished statement and here's his reply

http://board.rpgamer.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi?act=ST;f=4;t=21703;st=#entry490515

"I read the 1up review and the Gamespot review. I didn't experience the wonky AI that 1up complained about. On the contrary, I found the AI in Alpha Protocol to be much sharper than it is in other shooters -- it's certainly better than it is in Tom Clancy games I've played, it's leagues better than Rockstar's games, and I'd put it above Haze, Army of Two, Army of Two 2, and any shooter with zombies. The Gears games have great AI, but they don't have the complicated detection systems that Alpha Protocol has, as enemies generally just leap out of pits in predetermined points and shoot at you. I haven't played any Call of Duty/Modern Warfare games, so unless they have excellent AI, I don't know what modern shooter you can put next to AP and say "Alpha Protocol's AI is definitely worse."

As the Gamestop review... Man. I don't know. It's like he played a different game. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if that review gets pulled or modified because it's seriously incorrect in spots. For example:

"Under-the-hood calculations figure into your abilities in the field, so just because you aim directly at a bad guy's head and pull the trigger doesn't mean you're going to lodge a bullet in his skull."

That line is completely false. I used a pistol in my playthrough and only ranked it up 2 times (out of a max of 15) and that never happened. Ever. Every single time I aimed at someone's head and the cursor lined up, the dude got a bullet in his skull. Unless the reviewer was trying to snipe with submachine guns (which are super inaccurate) or didn't hold his aim steady for a few seconds while the reticule lines up, I have no idea why he would say that.

Then it looks like he included a screenshot of him flashbanging himself, and put in a caption like it's a standard visual effect. Uh. You flashbanged yourself. Of course the screen went all white. I didn't experience the camera angle problems he complained about either.

If you have specific questions about how polished or not the game is, feel free to ask and I'll answer, but based on those two reviews you have 1 complaint I didn't encounter, and a review that's totally loco. Maybe the Gamespot reviewer played it on a laptop with a pentium III and an 8MB graphics card? I don't know.
"

restored my faith slightly

bhlaab

FYI Jim Sterling is the biggest hack in a sea of games journalist hacks.

And from looking at his shitty fatty nerd-smug portrait icon, he's probably Demonius X's brother as well.

panda21

First, a comment for the guy at Cheesecake Factory - Most devs eat in the office most days, if they do go out they tend to grab something at the food court and head back. I know the execs take long lunches, but they often use them for informal meetings as well. Most of the programmers and designers very rarely ate outside the office during the time I was on this project.

what is this about? the devs ate too much cheesecake?

Obsidian, in general, appears to suffer from poor management and harsh publisher deadlines/requirements quite regularly.

Still, it's incredible that the reviews, thus far, have been so scattered-shot. 1up gave it a B+ (from Scott "I hate everything" Sharky no less), yet Gamespot (6 out of 10), Destructoid and Joystiq would argue it's a 6 and below game. Craziness.

I fear for Fallout: New Vegas.

panda21 said:
what is this about? the devs ate too much cheesecake?

Another comment.

WOW! I knew this game would totally suck. I work at a restaurant right across the street from Obsidian, I have made comments to them about the game whenever I am their server. For instance "with the delay, it better not suck" or my favorite "what's taking so long, you've been done for months?" Some guys laugh others don't seem to like my comments, but see I was right all along. Obsidian seems to have lots of time on their hands to go out and have a long lunch break, with steaks and brews. I think their Wednesdays could've been spent working and not having a hour and a half long lunch break sometimes even two hours. All that "hard work" and your game still blows.

Dear GAME Customer,

Thank you for preordering Alpha Protocol from GAME.co.uk.

As you may or may not have noticed we have now reduced the price
of your particular version of Alpha Protocol by £10.

Unfortunately in order to make sure that you received your order for
the release day we have already processed the payment and dispatched
your order at the original price point.

However, not to worry, please find a £10 voucher code below!

That was quick.

Vamphuntr

syllogism said:

The way he talks about the director of the game.... His boss reminds me so much of my advisor/boss during my MSc. He thought he was the best chemist in the world but man was he terrible. No leadership, no planning, always thinking it's normal that reactions fails often without trying to find solutions. Never helped his fellow students with their project, not even help them review or prepare their presentation or help them prepare defend their thesis even if it was all of his project they were about. In the end he destroyed the career of pretty much every students in the group and was trying to damage control by saying it's like that in every lab and that he was the best.

Really hard to work with these kind of guys. If this is true, I wish the best for those who worked on the game.

MMaRsu

Vamphuntr said:
OUCH! After reading the reviews, I will wait for it to price drop. It should be 45$ in about a month. I guess if you are an Obsidian fan it will be an incredible experience for you but I'm more a fan of WRPG with choices/branches than a fan of the company.

There is no way my laptop will run that so I will be stuck with the 360 version :( .

EDIT : Destructoid is really harsh with it

http://www.destructoid.com/review-alpha-protocol-174617.phtml

Destructoid gave Assassins Creed 2 a 4 or something, I don't take anything they write seriously.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Vamphuntr said:
Really hard to work with these kind of guys. If this is true, I wish the best for those who worked on the game.

People out of touch always suck.

But I hope the game turns out to be decent enough for me to continue.

Basileus777 said:
It's hilarious that people believe this shit.

1) The additional six months were for positioning, literally no work was done on the game because funding dried up. Blame SEGA.
2) This guy has clearly never had a job in anything other than retail, games are never shit because of "lazy devs" but the usual corporate bullshit of time mismanagement, shifting goals and deadlines, and so on. Anyone who posts "lazy devs" for anything, ever is an idiot whose opinions should be disregarded because clearly they're on some alternate version of reality (or just have never worked in an office).

idahoblue said:
That sounds... kind of... not good. Hope FO:NV is not screwed up.
sounds kind of like total bullshit. chris parker's been producing games for such a long time I'm not going to believe he'd be such a huge problem for the game in this kind of up and coming middle manager style. take a overall look at that whole joystiq comments section

lsslave

Jew Gamer
RubberJohnny said:
It's hilarious that people believe this shit.

1) The additional six months were for positioning, literally no work was done on the game because funding dried up. Blame SEGA.
2) This guy has clearly never had a job in anything other than retail, games are never shit because of "lazy devs" but the usual corporate bullshit of time mismanagement, shifting goals and deadlines, and so on. Anyone who posts "lazy devs" for anything, ever is an idiot whose opinions should be disregarded because clearly they're on some alternate version of reality (or just have never worked in an office).

Wait wait wait WHAT?

I have had to wait 6 months for this game because Sega wanted to position it better and not so they could make it better?

The same Sega who sent Resonance of Fate out to die?

Why do people not want them bankrupt again?

subversus

Joseph Merrick said:
sounds kind of like total bullshit. chris parker's been producing games for such a long time I'm not going to believe he'd be such a huge problem for the game in this kind of up and coming middle manager style.

People can fall out of touch, especially when they suddenly start feeling that they are "seasoned professionals".

Xater

lsslave said:
Wait wait wait WHAT?

I have had to wait 6 months for this game because Sega wanted to position it better and not so they could make it better?

The same Sega who sent Resonance of Fate out to die?

Why do people not want them bankrupt again?

Because I enjoy Yakuza, oh wait....

subversus

dygiT said:
It sucks when developers post stuff like this. :(

Makes you think about what really goes on behind the scenes and think twice about wanting to be a part of it.

oh c'mon, it's usual shit, you can have it anywhere

It was smart to release it when nothing else is coming out.

But why the same company that had a clusterfuck of a March, would do this for one game and not 4 others is beyond me.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
dygiT said:
It sucks when developers post stuff like this. :(

Makes you think about what really goes on behind the scenes and think twice about wanting to be a part of it.
This is the 3rd or 4th time it has happened to them and they still have the same problems with each release. It's clear they have a problem with how the company is run. As the blog states, it could be incompetent management, poor resource/time management, bad programmers, etc.

scarybore

syllogism said:

I'll take that with a pinch of salt but it's true that the game is lacking direction and polish, but I expected as much and I'm still finding it an enjoyable experience overall. It's also pretty amusing,
one of my possible email responses was about someone getting raped by a bear, and I've just got to Brayko and I can't stop laughing at how absurd this boss fight is.

Cep

Banned
syllogism said:

Whatever.

Anyway, I am back playing the game and it is much more fun now.

I started as a freelancer on hard mode and maxed the fuck out of stealth and now the game is AWESOME!!!!!!!

Evasion and Master Awareness have saved my butt too many times to count, and I am only at the intro base (there is a lot more to do here than initially meets the eye).

Lastly, the perk system rocks (as is the amount of kids orphaned stat).

Cep said:
Whatever.

Anyway, I am back playing the game and it is much more fun now.

I started as a freelancer on hard mode and maxed the fuck out of stealth and now the game is AWESOME!!!!!!!

Evasion and Master Awareness have saved my butt too many times to count, and I am only at the intro base (there is a lot more to do here than initially meets the eye).

Lastly, the perk system rocks (as is the amount of kids orphaned stat).
hehe. how many orphans have you racked up? I killed a ton of people in the beginning, but have completely stopped killing people now. 550 orphans :O

subversus

bjork said:
If I worked at a smaller game company, I don't think I'd even want to make an anonymous comment like this. Seems unwise, if legit.

well, who knows who he is? It's not Gamesindustry.biz where you (supposedly) have to register your real name.

Top Bottom