• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

Square Triangle said:
Guys I need the final verdict, is the game worth the purchase? The issues mentioned in reviews, can they be fixed via patch or is the game doomed? I want a game close to Syphon Filter- any chance of a feeling like that in AP?

I picked it up and I couldnt be happier. I am liking it more then ME, and I love ME. I think the combat is better, and the way choices are handeled is also better.

Cep

Banned
Basileus777 said:
As far as I know, the game doesn't reveal exactly who in the government is responsible, but it's possible I just haven't seen it. Marburg won't become your handler, but you can kind of make him see the error of his ways

Madison can't be your handler, you never see her again after Rome even if you save her. Mina and Scarlet kind of take over as your handler once you rescue them, though the game has issues if you rescue both and gets confused in the ending. Otherwise the list looks correct.

So Madison just ignores you after Rome? Huh, I thought someone said she was suppose to be some sort of villain, I must have read wrong.

So when is it you get the opportunity to mess with Marburg? After you finish being interrogated by Leland when you meet him in the hall?

Also, what does the game do if you ignore both Scarlet and Mina?

Cep said:
So Madison just ignores you after Rome? Huh, I thought someone said she was suppose to be some sort of villain, I must have read wrong.

So when is it you get the opportunity to mess with Marburg? After you finish being interrogated by Leland when you meet him in the hall?

Also, what does the game do if you ignore both Scarlet and Mina?

Madison gets upset because you chose her over all those people and leaves you.

Yeah, it's that scene in the hallway before they strap you to the table.

I'm not sure what happens if you ignore Scarlet and Mina. It probably shows you on the boat alone, which is what happens at the end if you join Halbech.

I still need to play around with some of the end dialogues with Mina to see if you can find out more about the organization she really works for.

Bebpo

Banned
So uh, I'm 10 hours into the game and it's been the best wrpg I've played that's in 3d. I have absolutely no complaints about the game and it's pretty much perfect in every aspect.

But WTF (taipei final mission spoilers):
I've been playing a stealth build the entire game so far and the game has been totally cool about letting me do that. I've been able to sneak up and subdue all the bosses or at worst tranq them in a shot or two.

But now I'm at WENG and WTF. I have no idea what to do. I have zero points into CQC so my punches are crap and do almost no damage and zero points into any weapon besides pistol and my pistol shots do like no damage. How the hell am I supposed to beat this guy in a non-lethal way? I can sneak around him and get the drop on him but even when I'm right behind him and he doesn't see me I can...punch or shoot and neither does hardly any damage. NEED SOME IDEAS

Bebpo said:
So uh, I'm 10 hours into the game and it's been the best wrpg I've played that's in 3d. I have absolutely no complaints about the game and it's pretty much perfect in every aspect.

I've been playing a stealth build the entire game so far and the game has been totally cool about letting me do that. I've been able to sneak up and subdue all the bosses or at worst tranq them in a shot or two.

But now I'm at WENG and WTF. I have no idea what to do. I have zero points into CQC so my punches are crap and do almost no damage and zero points into any weapon besides pistol and my pistol shots do like no damage. How the hell am I supposed to beat this guy in a non-lethal way? I can sneak around him and get the drop on him but even when I'm right behind him and he doesn't see me I can...punch or shoot and neither does hardly any damage. NEED SOME IDEAS

Assuming you have points in pistols and stealth, use shadow operative to get in position, and then use chain shot and line up a bunch of headshots. That should do a good amount of damage to him. You don't have to worry about being non-lethal on boss fights, the game goes to a cutscene instead of killing them.

Cep

Banned
Bebpo said:

Chainshot him in the head using Steel core bullets, hold him off with melee until he disappears, use Silent Step/Brilliance to reuse/wait out the cooldown, and then do it again.

Good thing to remember is that the bosses that can only be killed with dialogue can be safely attacked with real bullets.

Bebpo

Banned
I only have the first chain shot (I have like 3 points into pistol) and doing headshots from like 1 feet away while invisible still seem to do maybe 2% of his HP bar per shot. Maybe I'm doing this wrong. I've really avoided any shooting at all in the game so far so I have no idea how chain shot works.

Cep

Banned
Bebpo said:
I only have the first chain shot (I have like 3 points into pistol) and doing headshots from like 1 feet away while invisible still seem to do maybe 2% of his HP bar per shot. Maybe I'm doing this wrong. I've really avoided any shooting at all in the game so far so I have no idea how chain shot works.

Make sure you are using steel core bullets.

Make sure that you are not only lining headshots, but that the shots are crits.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
mujun said:
Really? Boggles my mind how people can't understand that the freedom of an open world guarantees a game to have more bugs and glitches.

There is a big difference between a small linear level/world with no ability to affect the outcomes of events versus one that is open and allows you to combine it's elements in countless different ways as well as tackling objectives in pretty much any order you like.

AP to me is the epitome of an unpolished gem. It comes across on casual inspection as total shit compared to the best games of the current gen but when you dig in to it there is some stuff buried in there that you pretty much can't find in any other game, at least on the consoles.

I understand just fine, doesn't mean it should get a pass. Even if Fallout 3 was glitch and bug free, its animates just as stiff as AP and the gameplay/combat is just barely passable. Both games have redeeming factors, however, it just seems that FO3 had a bit of a hype factor for the scores.

Bebpo

Banned
Cep said:
Make sure you are using steel core bullets.

Make sure that you are not only lining headshots, but that the shots are crits.

ummm, how do you line up a critical in quick shot?

mujun

_tetsuo_ said:
I understand just fine, doesn't mean it should get a pass. Even if Fallout 3 was glitch and bug free, its animates just as stiff as AP and the gameplay/combat is just barely passable. Both games have redeeming factors, however, it just seems that FO3 had a bit of a hype factor for the scores.

Surely it takes more time to make an open world seeing as there are more factors at play. More time to make an open world means less time to catch bugs.

Given that both dev teams were exactly the same size but one was making an open world game while the other was making a linear game (and all other things being equal) then surely you'd give the open world game more leeway with bugs and the like?

I would.

Bebpo said:
ummm, how do you line up a critical in quick shot?

Same as any other time, just let the reticule rest for a few seconds on the target. You have to be as close as your pistol skill requires to make a critical though.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
WTF is up with the grenade throwing abilities of NPCs in this game? No matter where I am and no matter where they are, grenades thrown by them are bound to land right on my ass!

Cep

Banned
kittoo said:
WTF is up with the grenade throwing abilities of NPCs in this game? No matter where I am and no matter where they are, grenades thrown by them are bound to land right on my ass!

Well, you are also blessed with perfect grenade-throwing ability, it is only fair...

duckroll

Cep said:
Aim at his his head and get the crit reticle, then activate chain-shot.

I think you have to activate chainshot first, then aim at his head, wait for the crit reticle, then "shoot" per normal, except each shot is a queued immediate action (activated when the chainshot durable is up or if you have queued the max number of shots for that level of chainshot. The best part of chainshot is that your reticle doesn't reset after queuing. :D

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Beat the first "three" Saudi arabia missions. Liking the game, the overall feel of the game is clunky, but it hasn't bothered me. I also haven't noticed any bugs or glitches so far.

Stealth seems well-implemented for a rpg, although i've found the ai is so shit, even when i trip a alarm i beat them all up with melee anyway:lol

I'm trying to be a "pacifist" in this game, i haven't killed a single person yet. And i got complimented in a email for it.:D although this one guy claimed i killed all his men in a cutscene.:lol

Cep

Banned
duckroll said:
I think you have to activate chainshot first, then aim at his head, wait for the crit reticle, then "shoot" per normal, except each shot is a queued immediate action (activated when the chainshot durable is up or if you have queued the max number of shots for that level of chainshot. The best part of chainshot is that your reticle doesn't reset after queuing. :D

Are you sure? I am pretty positive that you an initiate crit-mode before using the skill (I was pretty suprised when I did it, so unless it was a glitch...).

The main reason I suggest that he tries it that way is because he only has CS1; each second is precious.

duckroll

Cep said:
Are you sure? I am pretty positive that you an initiate crit-mode before using the skill (I was pretty suprised when I did it, so unless it was a glitch...).

The main reason I suggest that he tries it that way is because he only has CS1; each second is precious.

Oh, I guess it could work both ways. I'm too used to Chainshot master level, where I would use Shadow Operative (master!) to stealth right in front of a boss (or as close as I can get) and then pull out a chainshot, aim, take my time, get crit, click x6, watch the death cutscene. :lol

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
If you are using Stealth try getting the permanent awareness, its about 5 points in.
With this you can always see enemies and the direction they are looking.

Add in the gadget that lets you project noise and sneaking around is very easy, I've been able to do a fun stealth run using the recruit background so far, did not take long to get them few crucial points in stealth.

Cep

Banned
duckroll said:
Oh, I guess it could work both ways. I'm too used to Chainshot master level, where I would use Shadow Operative (master!) to stealth right in front of a boss (or as close as I can get) and then pull out a chainshot, aim, take my time, get crit, click x6, watch the death cutscene. :lol

Yeah, that is my MO as well.

:lol

Damn this game's combat is broken (though seeing that just about every other game by these people has broken combat, I do not know what I expected).

ShockingAlberto said:
Chain Shot really, really breaks boss fights.

Especially ones where they're only vulnerable for a short time.

It's deliberate imo. If you've played Bloodlines as a stealth character then you'll understand. I remember platypotamus commenting in the LTTP thread that he'd begged them to allow backstab kills on bosses :lol

duckroll

I don't think the combat in the game is "broken" at all. The skills are fun to use, and are actually very powerful. To top it off, unlike something like ME1, where only a few skills are useful, I feel that especially on replay with a new type of character, EVERY skill in the game is pretty fun to use and very useful.

The system allows the player to be overpowered because you're basically playing a very powerful character. To be believable as a super spy in a RPG, I expect stuff like this. And for it to feel even more like a RPG, skills and character growth should feel artificially improved as you get stronger and level up. It is the polar opposite of an action game, where the player improves in reaction skill. Even then, it is not totally brain dead. Far from it, you often have to know when to hide, or how to approach a certain encounter, before you can make the most of your skills to take out a group of enemies or a boss.

It's not a hard game, but it's far from "broken" to be honest. Everything is part of the game design.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
jim-jam bongs said:
It's deliberate imo. If you've played Bloodlines as a stealth character then you'll understand. I remember platypotamus commenting in the LTTP thread that he'd begged them to allow backstab kills on bosses :lol
Another game where stealth is overpowered. Coincedence? I think not.

Cep

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:

:lol

syllogism

Cep said:
I am guessing that at least one of them is in Rome? What is the other?
I think that you've to tell Parker during the final mission that Marberg killed Madison. Parker will then attempt to kill Marberg and things will proceed from there

syllogism said:
I think that you've to tell Parker during the final mission that Marberg killed Madison. Parker will then attempt to kill Marberg and things will proceed from there

Where do you get the info that Madison is Parker's daughter. I've heard about it, but haven't done it myself.

syllogism

Basileus777 said:
Where do you get the info that Madison is Parker's daughter. I've heard about it, but haven't done it myself.
She'll tell you after the post-mansion missions if you choose the right dialogue options and possibly depending on your relationship

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
MannahContana said:
Seriously FUCK the boss battles in this game. Especially when I thought I was 'roleplaying' a stealthy spy.

Which boss causes the problem? I ws playing a stealthy spy, no problems with bosses.

Whoa. I just beat the game.

I made so many decisions so fast i dont know how i got the ending i did which is a shame.

Surprise! The most honest person in this game was the mercenary who wanted to bone you when you first meet. Seriously, the betraylaton was a bit much.

The last 1/5 of the game was so action heavy i didnt see how stealth was possible which i bumming me out because i used my first normal playthrough to go through the game as a tough as balls commando. The though of going through that with a stealth guy on Hard is really scaring me.

Can someone tell me if its at least doable without hear tearing frustration?

OK so I'm near the end of the game and I have to break a keypad to continue the mission, but it's one of those 10 circuit jobs and I'm just not quick enough to hack it, am I screwed? Do I just keep trying till I go insane? :(

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
So I just passed the part where I'm asked to select a specialization. Does the game get better from now on? Cos up to this point I'd file it into the "piece of crap" category. The camera, the AI, the engine, the animations, the stealth gameplay... it's all very very bad. Or perhaps I'm not getting it.

subversus

lastplayed said:
OK so I'm near the end of the game and I have to break a keypad to continue the mission, but it's one of those 10 circuit jobs and I'm just not quick enough to hack it, am I screwed? Do I just keep trying till I go insane? :(

Where are you exactly? Do you have any points in sabotage?

subversus

TTP said:
So I just passed the part where I'm asked to select a specialization. Does the game get better from now on? Cos up to this point I'd file it into the "piece of crap" category. The camera, the AI, the engine, the animations, the stealth gameplay... it's all very very bad. Or perhaps I'm not getting it.

Probably you should stop playing and start writing a review :D

If you're talking about finishing Saudi Arabia, then try to finish more missions.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
I am not sure what other specialization to take, I've chosen Pistol and Stealth, was thinking Sabotage?

Cep

Banned
Deacan said:
I am not sure what other specialization to take, I've chosen Pistol and Stealth, was thinking Sabotage?

Imo, your last one does not really matter near as much as Stealth and Pistols.

You really do not need any other skill over the cap. Heck, I would advise spreading your skills around instead (Get at least the first level of brilliance though).

syllogism

Deacan said:
It doesn't really matter if you intend to max both stealth and pistol, but Tech is pretty ridiculous if you max it as Brilliance resets all your cooldown timers and its timer is, with the right gear, only 28s. My Shadow operative already had a ridiculously short timer (something like 35s with all the perks/gear), but with brilliance I can constantly be invisible and do anything I want. "Silent" takedowns (in this case, running straight to the enemy and punching him in the neck) don't cancel it either.

duckroll

I agree with Cep. While the game gives you 3 specializations, in actual practice I find that because of the amount of AP you get per level, it's more realistic to just decide on 2 main skills to keep maxed out at any given time.

Whenever you have AP to spare, you can throw them into whatever you feel would benefit you most at that point of the game. It could be that you find that you could do with a bit more health, or maybe some support on gadgets or hacking, or better handling of another weapon, or some boost in CQC abilities. Whatever suits the situation.

Because of the way the game is designed, you generally want to ask yourself a single question for a character build:

Do you want to play a stealthy character of a guns blazing character?

Stealthy character = Primary: Stealth.
Guns blazing = Primary: SMG or AR.

This, imo, is the backbone of most character creation for the majority of players. Once you have this primary skill in mind, the next decision will be whether you want a pistol specialization. It will benefit both play styles, but it will benefit stealth play style much more. Those who are playing stealth and do not want to focus on a pistol should then put all the other points into CQC. I would advice against specializing in stealth alone and then picking another non-combat skill to train extensively in, because at some point you need weapon skills. Since most stealth players will want to try to make as little noise as possible and not kill if needed, the pistol is the only real choice.

For action hero characters, as long as you have specialization in a heavy weapon, you can pretty much kill all the bad guys easily. It would hence be best to place points into things which help in other ways, instead of putting it into another weapon which you probably don't really need. Sabotage is good for making your life easier when you need to remove alerts which you will definitely be setting off, as well as making clearing mission objectives which don't involve shooting the shit out of people much easier. Alternatively, if you feel you need more healing and stuff, Tech is also a good skill to have.

Players who want a lot more variety can obviously try many other types of builds, but I think this covers the basics of it. For an average playthrough in the game, there will be enough exp to max out 2 of the 3 specializations you make, there should generally be enough to max out all 3, but not always. This is why it is best to mentally pick 2 main specializations, and spread the rest out as you see fit.

Top Bottom