• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Jagxyz

With every Kindle iteration, you could always imagine the obvious improvements to be made. However, it seems like this model is near perfect. Do you guys think that's true?

I mean, more battery, lighter, etc., can always be done. But practically speaking, we're good, right? I won't miss the keyboard or audio support on my Kindle Keyboard since I never used them.

I think the next big thing will be coloured eink.

No it wasn't. The lighting was done noticeably poorly and with easy room for improvement. That was an obvious foreseeable improvement.

was it really? It was one of the best implementations at the time it came out.

only real improvements left imo is a way higher resolution screen because half the fonts look like butt at a smallish size because of resolution.

It could also get a bit of a makeover. I don't need an uber sexy ereader, but chopping off some of them bezels wouldn't hurt.

having buttons would be nice, but i'm sure that boat is long gone.

The original Paperwhite's lighting really wasn't poor, though. It was easily the best artificial lighting solution for reading I ever experienced. I have a great PW1, though. Only uneven at the bottom with a really consistent tone to the light. I love reading in bed with all the lights off. I don't bother my wife with a light and I have zero problem getting immersed in the story.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Not being bothered by it or it being the best implementation at the time doesn't mean it couldn't have been improved noticeably.

My Kindle Keyboard has hit the dust and I'm debating which model to buy next. Basic or PWv2?

Naturally, the MobileRead forums love the new Paperwhite and think it's a remarkable upgrade over the first edition.

As expected, my replacement has three pinhole light leak/dust motes. Also seems a bit cloudier along the bottom edge. Also, a teeny-tiny black dot on the bottom left corner, like a stuck piece of e-ink. Terrific! My stellar luck with electronics continues!

Anyone have pictures of the lighting? I have a pw1 and the lighting is the only thing that bugs me.

I can tell you from first hand experience:

1) The light it "warmer". Compared to the paperwhite 1 it's got a slightly warmer hue.

2) Not as speckled on the bottom - no longer blotchy near the edge of the screen. The lighting isn't 100% even throughout, but it's darn close.

3) Interestingly enough, the PW2 is dimmer at the low end of the light scale than the PW1. It's like they flattened out the curve. A setting of 4 or 5 on the PW2 is equal to a setting of 1 on the PW1. At max setting I'd say they are roughly even, with a slight to the PW2 for overall brightness.

Salsa

so, worth upgrading from a 4? first paperwhite seemed iffy or uneven with color blotches and whatnot so i held out..

light is nice, but I do like buttons. . mhh..

Kinokou

I'm wondering about upgrading to the new paper white, but how does the vocabulary builder work?
Do you have different lists for different languages?
Can you export the list to excel (or memrise)?
Can you make a foreign language\English list if you have a bilingual dictionary installed, or is it just single language?

And is the linking to goodreads up yet?

Or is will there be\has been a software update for these feautres for the kindle touch of 2011?

Ledsen

so, worth upgrading from a 4? first paperwhite seemed iffy or uneven with color blotches and whatnot so i held out..

light is nice, but I do like buttons. . mhh..
First pw is amazing, light alone is worth the upgrade. You'll miss the buttons for 5 minutes.

hEist

so, switched to paperwhite 2.
arrived yesterday. looks great so far, but to be honest it's not a huge step from first paperwhite revision.

if you have left some money and don't know what to do with it, sure upgrade. But if don't really know: spent the money otherwise.

And now let's wait, when the goodreads update will come.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Same. Really looking forward to my Goodreads and Match program update.

hEist

so apparently, Amazon has pulled the Papherwhite 1/2 Software Updates of their site (in my case in germany).

Update with goodreads integration finally coming?

cdkee

Banned
Yesterday I got a coupon from Amazon saying $40 off any Kindle. I've been looking at the Paperwhite for some time...$80 for a new Paperwhite is great. Probably going to pull the trigger finally. Would you guys recommend the SquareTrade warranty?

barnone

I set up my new Kindle Paperwhite today and experienced something strange. As I was entering my Amazon username, and before I entered anything AT ALL in the password field, the device lagged a bit, recognized my correct account, and then logged me in. How did the Kindle do this?

I set up my new Kindle Paperwhite today and experienced something strange. As I was entering my Amazon username, and before I entered anything AT ALL in the password field, the device lagged a bit, recognized my correct account, and then logged me in. How did the Kindle do this?
NSA

Usually Amazon is preloading newly shipped Kindles with your bought content. So, maybe they also entered your data which appeared after going online and connection to Amazon's servers.

flowsnake

If you buy a Kindle with an Amazon account, you can see that it becomes registered to the account before they even dispatch it.

You can opt out of this by saying that it will be a gift when you order it.

Pachimari

Did the first Paperwhite get any software update when the Paperwhite 2 were released or announced?

Also where is that book thread? I need recommendations on PHP and financial books.

I found it the other day. Thanks though!

How come, when I read a book in the Kindle app on iPad that it's not picking up where I left off on the iPhone or Kindle Paperwhite?

It's just frustrating when I read a book on my iPad in school and want to continue on my iPhone on the way home, that I have to find the page I left off at manually. :/

Maybe try bookmarking that page on the iPad before switching to the iPhone/KPW. Synching should pull that bookmark over for you.

Not sure why it is not synching normally though.

Pachimari

Maybe try bookmarking that page on the iPad before switching to the iPhone/KPW. Synching should pull that bookmark over for you.

Not sure why it is not synching normally though.
Yeah, bookmarking is what I'm doing now. But it sucks it isn't just doing it automatically, I even have it turned on in settings. Maybe because Kindle is running on iOS 6 on my iPad and iOS 7 on my iPhone?

Kindle Paperwhite 1st Gen Software Update Is Now Available

We have a new, free software update available for your Kindle Paperwhite. This update automatically downloads and installs on your Kindle Paperwhite when connected wirelessly; however, you can also manually download the software and transfer the update to your device via USB cable.

The software update includes general improvements and the following feature enhancements:

Hide Reading Progress Option
While reading, tap the bottom left of the screen to switch between four reading progress options, including Location in book, Time left in chapter, Time left in book, and None, which hides your reading progress from the bottom of the screen. To learn more, go to View Your Reading Progress.

Improved PDF Performance
General performance and stability improvements for PDF files.

Improved Homonym Lookup in Chinese and Japanese
When you look up a word that has multiple meanings for the same spelling (homonym), you can view a full list of the available definitions from within the dictionary definition window.

Nymerio

I don't think I can do without reading progress. Just finished a book that didn't have individual chapters and I was seriously annoyed. I love knowing just how long I have left in a chapter. Makes it easier to manage my time.

Cfh123

I just got the new Paperwhite (wifi only), with the navy blue case. I upgraded from the Kindle keyboard (3G). The amount of free wifi around has grown exponentially since when I got the Kindle Keyboard a few years ago.

The Paperwhite 2 is a very elegant device. There is a small amount of mottling at the bottom of the screen which is visible on high brightness settings, but it does not bother me. I thought I might miss the keyboard and page turn buttons but I have not.

I'm reading Way of Kings but missed out on the deal which was not available in Canada.

kaskade

I think I'm going to ask for the paperwhite for xmas. I have the kindle 4 but want that backlight. I might miss the hardware page turns but I'll get over it.

I just don't know the best way to sell off my old one + lighted case.

Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Generation) Software Updates

The software update includes general improvements and the following new features:

Kindle FreeTime
FreeTime lets you create personalized profiles for kids, and give them access to titles from your collection of books. Kids can keep track of their personal reading progress and earn achievement badges. To learn more, go to Kindle FreeTime.

Goodreads on Kindle
Connect with the world's largest community for readers from your Kindle Paperwhite. See what your friends are reading, share notes, and rate the books you read. To learn more, go to Find and Share Books with Goodreads on Kindle.

Cloud Collections
Use Cloud Collections to organize titles in custom categories and store your collections in the Cloud. To learn more, go to Organize Your Content with Cloud Collections.ctions.

jayb

I'm sure all that will come to the 1st gen paperwhite soon.

Who knows if others, like the kindle touch, will get updated though.

Amazon’s Next Kindle Paperwhite To Feature 300ppi Screen, Better Typography, Arrive Early Next Year

Amazon is now preparing a new Kindle Paperwhite for release in early Q2 of next year, TechCrunch has learned. The marquee feature of the new device is a high-resolution 300 ppi screen that will bring the company’s e-reader displays back into technical parity with devices from competitors like Kobo.

In addition to a higher resolution screen, the new Paperwhite will be getting a few more hardware improvements. We've seen a prototype of the device which has a front screen that is flush with the edges of the device, rather than recessed, and is made out of very matte glass of some sort, not plastic. Despite moving to glass, the new units are said to be lighter than this year’s models.

The new 300 ppi Paperwhite, code-named Ice Wine, will leapfrog Kobo’s limited edition device and place a high-resolution screen on Amazon’s marquee e-reader. We hear that there are no major software improvements planned for this edition, but that it will be upscaled to take advantage of the new resolution.

However, those of you who are heavy Kindle users will be very pleased to know that Amazon is working on new typography for the device with a custom-built font that’s great for reading. Typography has long been one of the Kindle’s big failing points. Though several fonts were added in its last release, they were not received overly well for the most part. A new custom font specially designed for reading on the device will be a major improvement. We also hear Amazon is working on allowing books to be presented with hyphenation, eliminating the awkward right hand margins, but it’s not clear if that will be in the new software or not.

The edges of the device will also now be ‘buttons’ of a sort. According to what we’ve heard, instead of old-fashioned ’split’ buttons found on previous Kindles, these will be ’squeezable’ buttons that give off haptic feedback when activated. Theoretically, this should allow you to change pages without having to awkwardly reach over with your thumb to tap the ‘next page’ zone on the Paperwhite’s screen. And making the buttons squeezable keeps the sleek lines of the Paperwhite’s margins.

The rear casing of the new Paperwhite will follow on with the industrial design of the current Kindle Fire HDX tablets, with a more angular shape and chamfer to the edges. Similar in look to the images of the HDX above. It will also feature a rear power button that looks similar to the new Kindle Fire tablets.

Top Bottom