• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

TechCrunch needs a better fact checker. First of all, plastic screens in e-ink are a new thing. They have always used glass as the top layer. Unless they mean the e-ink is now laminated on a sheet of glass film, which makes no sense.

They also say "several fonts were added in its last release", which isn't true. The fonts were added in the original Paperwhite not the latest one.

It's also really weird they say "Typography has long been one of the Kindle’s big failing points". People have preferences, but I don't think I ever seen anyone go that far. Readability is kind of a huge thing too, and if that were the case the Kindle wouldn't be the most successful of the e-ink e-readers.

And they also say there will be a "new typography for the device with a custom-built font that’s great for reading". Which is great but they say it as if Amazon just plots a font in without customizing it. According to Amazon the fonts are "hand-tuned at the pixel level for maximum readability and comfort".

And it really bugs me when people say things like, you have to "awkwardly reach over with your thumb" to change a page. How horrible must it be to use your hand and maybe your whole arm to change a page in a physical book. Plus you can swipe to change the page from anywhere on the screen. You know, kind of like you might do in a paper book.

They are really overselling the things they don't like about the Kindle.

It really makes it hard to believe this report when they inject this much opinion and don't properly understand the technology and product they are reporting on in the first place.

Nonetheless, I do believe all the things they are saying, I mean there is nothing unexpected here. It's the expected next step. 300 dpi e-ink has existed for over 2 years now. Ambient light sensors are nothing new.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Ugh. I waited a long time to upgrade from my Keyboard.

Meier

Hey guys, I still have an older Kindle that works fine but would like to buy my wife a Paperwhite. The whole no charger thing is such bullshit, but will my existing Kindle charger and cord work with it also?

Danj

I heard there's a feature now where the Kindle will sync last page read in personal documents with the mobile/desktop apps, is this available on the old Kindle Touch or is it a Paperwhite exclusive feature?

arkon

Hey guys, I still have an older Kindle that works fine but would like to buy my wife a Paperwhite. The whole no charger thing is such bullshit, but will my existing Kindle charger and cord work with it also?

It says on the listing on amazon.com that a USB 2.0 charging cable is included in the box. Assuming you've got the little usb to mains plug it should be fine.

Meier

It says on the listing on amazon.com that a USB 2.0 charging cable is included in the box. Assuming you've got the little usb to mains plug it should be fine.

Thanks! I couldn't really remember the exact specifications of my current charger but I think it must just be a standard micro USB cable (probably the same one this would come with).

Just wanted to throw this in here.

I ordered a Kindle for my girlfriend as a present. They missed the ship date, causing me to be unable to give it to her due to our travel plans.

Amazon apologized, credited us 6 months of prime, then refunded the price of the Kindle AND LET US KEEP IT.

I cannot get over how cool Amazon can be at times. :)

yyzjohn

Banned
Just wanted to throw this in here.

I ordered a Kindle for my girlfriend as a present. They missed the ship date, causing me to be unable to give it to her due to our travel plans.

Amazon apologized, credited us 6 months of prime, then refunded the price of the Kindle AND LET US KEEP IT.

I cannot get over how cool Amazon can be at times. :)

Yeah Amazon is crazy good like that. They lose money hand over fist but consumers love them.

Ecto311

So is the paperwhite a good buy now or wait a bit for a better one? I understand that kind of thinking makes it so you dont get anything ever but I hate getting one if theres a new one coming super soon. I googled a bit but didnt see news indicating anything soon.

Ocho

So is the paperwhite a good buy now or wait a bit for a better one? I understand that kind of thinking makes it so you dont get anything ever but I hate getting one if theres a new one coming super soon. I googled a bit but didnt see news indicating anything soon.

I love it. The price is cheap enough that you can buy both (sell the old one, etc). I wouldn't think much about it.

B.K.

I have a Kindle 3 that I haven't used in a while and apparently the battery is dead. Should I spend $30 on a new battery or is it worth it to buy a new Kindle?

What's the best one? I'm not really interested in the Fires. I just want the plan e-reader. I kind of like the Paperwhite model, but I don't like that it doesn't have buttons.
A new Paperwhite is reportedly coming, maybe as soon as early 2014, with buttons and touch. But the buttons are supposedly squeezable. No idea how well that will work. It sounds a bit weird to me.

Edit: Link. http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/24/am...een-better-typography-arrive-early-next-year/

I have a Kindle 3 that I haven't used in a while and apparently the battery is dead. Should I spend $30 on a new battery or is it worth it to buy a new Kindle?

Did you tried to charge it with a wall charger? After a long 'black out', the kindle sometimes needs several hours (!) with a wall charger to actually show a loading screen. Had the same problem in this year's spring.

Another option for you: buy a used Kindle Keyboard (=3), should be around $ 20-40 on ebay. Got a Kindle Keyboard 3G with the original Amazon protective case with light for 35€ last month.

Kinokou

I'm wondering about upgrading to the new paper white, but how does the vocabulary builder work?
Do you have different lists for different languages?
Can you export the list to excel (or memrise)?
Can you make a foreign language\English list if you have a bilingual dictionary installed, or is it just single language?

And is the linking to goodreads up yet?

Or is will there be\has been a software update for these feautres for the kindle touch of 2011?

qouting my unanswered questions over since its a new page.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
StellaX, Goodreads integration is now available for the PW 2013. I don't know the answers to the rest of your questions but I advise just buying it and returning it if it doesn't fit your needs.

A new Paperwhite is reportedly coming, maybe as soon as early 2014, with buttons and touch. But the buttons are supposedly squeezable. No idea how well that will work. It sounds a bit weird to me.

Edit: Link. http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/24/am...een-better-typography-arrive-early-next-year/

I'll believe it when I see it.

yyzjohn

Banned
StellaX, Goodreads integration is now available for the PW 2013. I don't know the answers to the rest of your questions but I advise just buying it and returning it if it doesn't fit your needs.

I'll believe it when I see it.
I'll buy it when I see it.

O.DOGG

I'll buy it when I see it.

Missing physical page turn buttons is the only thing that stopped me from buying the latest Paperwhite. If the new one has them, I'm getting it day one. But that haptic feedback has me a bit worried, to be honest. Hopefully it can be turned off.

Missing physical page turn buttons is the only thing that stopped me from buying the latest Paperwhite. If the new one has them, I'm getting it day one. But that haptic feedback has me a bit worried, to be honest. Hopefully it can be turned off.

it probably will (after 1 or 2 fw updates). i'm getting for that 300ppi

i tap kinda.

i have my thumb on the edge of the bezel on the right and just roll it left a little to go forward.

works well and keeps accidental taps minimum

That's what I do, are people sliding their fingers to change the page? I don't miss buttons because I can just tap.

I mostly tap, but sometimes when laying in bed I grip the kindle in such a way that the tap zone isn't reachable (my fingers are gripping the top bezel).

People that like buttons generally seem to to just want to rest their finger on a button and any more movement than that feels "awkward". Which sounds crazy to me because how terrible must it have been to have to you use your whole hand, wrist, and possibly arm to change a page in a paper book?

I don't remotely miss buttons. I've probably accidentally changed pages with my K2 more than my PW.

I had a tough time at first switching from the OG Kindle to the paperwhite because I missed having the buttons there. But after three days I got used to it and now I couldn't imagine the hassle of having to press a button. Its so nice to just touch the screen real light and quick.

O.DOGG

The problem I have with touchscreens is the fingerprint smudges on the screen. They just annoy the hell out of me. To think I'll be leaving a smudge every time I turn a page, that's just unacceptable.
Then there's also the case of my friend whose Kindle Touch's touchscreen got a bug, and stopped working properly - it had this weird offset of the touch zone, and he ended up replacing it. Mechanical buttons are just more reliable so I'll just wait for them to make a comeback.

The problem I have with touchscreens is the fingerprint smudges on the screen. They just annoy the hell out of me. To think I'll be leaving a smudge every time I turn a page, that's just unacceptable.
Then there's also the case of my friend whose Kindle Touch's touchscreen got a bug, and stopped working properly - it had this weird offset of the touch zone, and he ended up replacing it. Mechanical buttons are just more reliable so I'll just wait for them to make a comeback.

thats whats great about paperwhite. up the light and you won't see the fingerprints unless you really look, or if you read at night, you just won't see them.

It's not the same type of screen like on a tablet or phone. I never notice any fingerprints (light on or off, doesn't matter). Actually if I have the light on and am looking at the screen from the most extreme angle I can notice prints, dust and other particles, but that's the only time.

The PW has this interesting smooth but textured feel to it that, at times, reminds me of paper. It's a very nice screen to use.

I can understand the idea of not thinking touch is reliable but I don't think mechanical buttons are anymore reliable. It's not like page turn buttons will offset a messed up touch zone anyway. You still need to be able to choose a book and navigate menus, something page turn buttons won't do. And I don't think any touch device, with page turn buttons, has a mechanical controller. All touch devices have swipe to turn page and that works anywhere on the screen regardless of a touch zone.

But, I understand that page turn buttons are still big with people, so I see no real reason not to have them at this point and it wouldn't upset me to buy a new device with them.

It would think that new rumored Kindle will be something of a replacement for the DX anyway, a luxury reader and a competitor with Kobo Aura HD.

I'm the same way as you, finger prints drive me crazy but I don't see finger prints on my paperwhite. The screen material doesn't seem to absorb oil to leave a finger print.

Frostburn

I have been using the original Kindle PaperWhite since the day it released and bought my soon to be wife the newer Kindle PaperWhite for Christmas. I have had no problems with mine other than the lack of complete uniformity when it comes to the back-lighting (After using the device for a day or two this is a complete non-issue) and having never cleaned the screen (I do keep it in a case however) I have no fingerprint marks on the screen at all. I'm excited about a higher res display and even faster refresh rates but honestly I love my PaperWhite and it does everything it set out to do wonderfully.

Vyer

I have been using the original Kindle PaperWhite since the day it released and bought my soon to be wife the newer Kindle PaperWhite for Christmas. I have had no problems with mine other than the lack of complete uniformity when it comes to the back-lighting (After using the device for a day or two this is a complete non-issue) and having never cleaned the screen (I do keep it in a case however) I have no fingerprint marks on the screen at all. I'm excited about a higher res display and even faster refresh rates but honestly I love my PaperWhite and it does everything it set out to do wonderfully.

Do you notice any significant difference between the two versions?

O.DOGG

I think I am going to buy the kindle 5 tomorrow at bestbuy for 49.99

Is there any reason that I should not? Trying to find information and rumors about new kindles is impossible with all of the blogspam. I am trying to enhance my reading for the 50/50 challenge and I plan to purchase popular books on amazon.

There's no reason not to buy it. It is excellent. That's what I've been using for the past couple of months. After I held it in my hand, I was amazed at how much lighter it was compared to my old Kindle 3 Keyboard which I promptly gave away after replacing it with the K5.
So yeah, this is a great price for an excellent reader.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Has anyone tried the following?

- used freetime on the paperwhite? my son has my old kindle keyboard and uses my account. If I could use freetime to more easily control what he has access to, that might encourage me to buy him a paperwhite - or he can have mine when the new one comes out ;)

- bought books from a foreign kindle store? I'd like to buy a kindle for my wife and let her buy books from amazon Japan. I could probably set up her account as japanese, and apparently amazon don't care about foreign credit cards. But I've heard mixed messages about the stores being IP locked after a few purchases.

Clockwork5

Thanks OP! I got a paperwhite for Xmas. Lovin it so far! The storefront is a bit sloppy but I have enough devices to shop on Amazon so its no big deal.

For reading books, the thing is amazing.

Thanks OP! I got a paperwhite for Xmas. Lovin it so far! The storefront is a bit sloppy but I have enough devices to shop on Amazon so its no big deal.

For reading books, the thing is amazing.

Yea, shopping on the Kindle is a pain. I shop on the Kindle Android app, as it is a much easier experience.

Reading Ex-Heroes right now: $1.99 well spent!

wpid-img_20130407_114552.jpg

Another recommendation for those who like dark and gritty stories:

Bas-Lag trilogy by China Mieville. I'm reading 'Perdido Street Station' right now, which is the first part, and it's magnificent. Really detailed and almost tangible description of the weird world and nice story telling and pacing. Highly recommended.

Ecto311

Another recommendation for those who like dark and gritty stories:

Bas-Lag trilogy by China Mieville. I'm reading 'Perdido Street Station' right now, which is the first part, and it's magnificent. Really detailed and almost tangible description of the weird world and nice story telling and pacing. Highly recommended.

Second Perdido street - Was my first book and daaaamn did I love it. I think about rereading it all the time. My first book since "lost world" that kept me reading all the way through. Wish I could find a hard back of Perdido. Also opened my mind to the "New weird" kind of books that are right up my alley.

Top Bottom