• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Another recommendation for those who like dark and gritty stories:

Bas-Lag trilogy by China Mieville. I'm reading 'Perdido Street Station' right now, which is the first part, and it's magnificent. Really detailed and almost tangible description of the weird world and nice story telling and pacing. Highly recommended.
Thanks for the recommendation. Turns out I got this years ago when it temporarily free. Sending it to my PW2 now.

Ledsen

I didn't really like Perdido Street Station. The world just didn't feel very believable to me, and the story eventually took a turn towards the standard fantasy fare, only in a very different world.

oti

Banned
I've owned a Kindle since 2012 and I love it. Now I wanted to upgrade to a Paperwhite but should I bite now? It's 165€ (with the case). I don't know. It did cost 100€ (just the Kindle) a few weeks ago, due to a promotion.

Does anyone have extensive personal experience in the Kindle and upgraded to the Paperwhite? I want to get a Kindle, but am unsure if the normal one is "good enough" or would I be really missing out if i didnt just get the Paperwhite to start with?

Does anyone have extensive personal experience in the Kindle and upgraded to the Paperwhite? I want to get a Kindle, but am unsure if the normal one is "good enough" or would I be really missing out if i didnt just get the Paperwhite to start with?
I've been using a kindle since the second model, and is could never go back from the paperwhite. The light is just too convenient. Granted I read mostly at night, though.

I had a Kindle 2 for a looong time and just switched to Paperwhite when it first came out. I can assure you without a sliver of a doubt that Paperwhite is better in every way over an ordinary Kindle. The backlight, super sensitive (and fast) touch page switching, better clarity, better battery life, etc. The Paperwhite + the official amazon case with auto on/off cover switch is the ultimate combo right now.

flowsnake

Do you ever wish the screen had a built in light? If yes, then it's worth it.

I'm shocked the 2012 PW hasn't had an update to bring it up to software parity with the 2013. By this date last year the Touch received an update bringing in all the major PW updates.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I bought my wife a new paperwhite for her birthday next week. Will set it up with a japanese Amazon account and hopefully be able to buy Japanese books from amazon for her. Will buy on PC using a VPN as Amazon seem to have some IP checking going on if you buy more than a few books outside the country.

Hoping it goes ok - buying real books is hugely expensive considering the postage from Japan to the UK, but my wife is a technophobe. Although the kindle is pretty damn easy to use and the whole point of e-ink is not to look like a computer screen.

Fingers crossed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks, I had found that before but have forgotten about it recently. Do I need something like calibre for these, or is there a way to email them to her kindle using her kindle email address?

It's already some weeks ago that I used Aozora, but I think it was this way:

- Got HTML
- Converted it with Calibre into azw3 (hybrid mode)
- got ebook with furigana

Gothos

OK, quick question and probably a bit silly one but here we go, anyway. Can I use Kindle normally without ever connecting it to the internet?

USB cable. Manual copying, drag and drop :)

If that's an option (I've never needed to try the USB route) your Kindle should work just fine. I have a Kindle Touch Wi-Fi only and the only thing I use the internet for is to purchase new books. I assume you wouldn't have a problem, the Kindle you get should have the newest update on it right? Drop Amazon a quick note and they should be able to help you out.

Gothos

Hm, I'll probably be able to connect it once via some hotspot but I'm not 100% sure that it will be an option. Didn't know it has firmware updates and I'm not buying it directly from Amazon. Oh well, I'll return it if I'll encounter any problems.

IIRC, you have to register your kindle once to 'unlock' collections on the Kindle (at least on the Kindle Keyboard). Then you don't need to connect your Kindle to any internet connection and can use it USB-only - for example with Calibre.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
first snag buying Japanese books - I explain carefully how you touch the right side of the screen to go forward....only you don't. You press the left hand side as the books are read the other way around. Took me a while to work out why the kindle was stuck on the cover page :p

n64coder

Then you don't need to connect your Kindle to any internet connection and can use it USB-only - for example with Calibre.

I've been putting my Kindle in airplane mode and have noticed the battery life seems much longer. The bonus is that I'm also not seeing any more ads. There's a little note saying that I should connect in order to receive the latest special offers.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I got a Paperwhite and I'm wondering whether my unit is messed up. When I hold my 3 next to the new one with the backlight off, the 3 looks darker and crisper. That seems hard to believe that this is just how it is since I've heard nothing about that.

Benedict

Any more news regarding the rumors of a new Kindle being shown in March?
Would really like a replacement with built-in lightning...

The Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 3 will use New Flexible Screen Technology

A source within Amazon has disclosed to Good e-Reader that the upcoming Kindle Paperwhite 3 will use new screen technology. The entire e-reader will be lighter than previous models, have higher resolution and incorporate a flexible display.

The Kindle Paperwhite 3 will be using screen technology that was developed by e Ink and Sony called Mobius. Mobius uses a TFT technology that will enable the development of much lighter and rugged products. Mobius displays can weigh less than 50% of an equivalent glass based TFT. This is particularly important for mobile products requiring larger display areas.

The only commercially viable product to use Mobius screen technology was the Sony 13.3 inch e-reader. When I had the first exclusive hands on of it was the lightest device I have ever played with in the history of e-readers. The 13.3 inch screen is beguiling to behold and you would figure from looking at it that it would weigh significantly more than the Kindle DX. In truth it weighs only 12.6 oz, compared to the Kindle DX, which weighs a hefty 18.9 oz. The e-paper screen glides like a feather when dropped, as I found out.

e Ink Mobius e-Paper can be cut to a customers specific requirements, and still maintain the long battery life, lightweight nature and high resolution. This will insure that the new Kindle Paperwhite 3 will have all of the main benefits of the Sony 13.3 e-reader, but in a small, lightweight six inch screen.

Frostburn

Do you notice any significant difference between the two versions?

Sorry for the super late reply. Her screen has slightly better contrast and the screen light is a bit more white and even across the whole device. It looks better but only when holding them side-by-side. It certainly isn't enough to make me want to upgrade mine just yet, I'll hold out for the 3rd revision.

chiQ

A warm, fuzzy Kindle story for the evangelical non-kindle haters (you know who you are):

I'm not one. My family all have various readers, and while I express frustration when they call on me (the family geek) to support them with their inconvenient readers, I don't challenge their choice. I gifted my step-father with a Kindle (the only other Kindle owner in the family), and I've loaned my brother-in-law my own one for a few days. Now two of my five nearest and dearest have decided the next purchase will be a Kindle based purely on the facts related to managing a Kindle library.

There's no need to evangelise them. They sell themselves to those they best suit.

DOWN WITH PLATFORM EVANGELISM!

Salsa

took my kindle out of my bag the other day:

hoznwZrl.jpg

:|

the next day:

OocPQB6l.jpg

yeah, couldnt even wait

edit: jic, I do use a leather book case

ksPZTkil.jpg

but I was on a trip and I think someone sat on my bag, so yeah

not getting a PW yet

Kindle Paperwhite 1st Generation Software Updates

The software update includes general improvements and the following new features:

• Kindle FreeTime
    FreeTime lets you create personalized profiles for kids, and give them access to titles from your collection of books. Kids can keep track of their personal reading progress and earn achievement badges. To learn more, go to Kindle FreeTime
  • Goodreads on Kindle
    Connect with the world's largest community for readers from your Kindle Paperwhite. See what your friends are reading, share notes, and rate the books you read. To learn more, go to Find and Share Books with Goodreads on Kindle.
  • Cloud Collections
    Use Cloud Collections to organize your content in custom categories. See your collections in a Collections view, and customize where your collections show on your device. To learn more, go to Organize Your Content with Cloud Collections.
  • Page Flip
    While reading, you can skim the book page-by-page, scan by chapter, or skip to the end for a sneak peek without losing your place. To learn more, go to Go To Other Locations in a Book
  • Enhanced Bookmarks, Highlights & Notes
    Access and manage all of your bookmarks, highlights, and notes more quickly and easily. To learn more, go to Bookmarks, Highlights & Notes
  • Smart Lookup
    When you look up a word or character, Smart Lookup provides you with dictionary, X-Ray, and Wikipedia information.To learn more, go to Explore Your Book with X-Ray.
  • Vocabulary Builder
    Words looked up in the dictionary are automatically added to Vocabulary Builder. View the definition and usage of the words, and quiz yourself with flashcards. To learn more, go to Expand Your Vocabulary.

vazel

Banned
Lots of good features for us 1st gen Paperwhite users. Thank you Amazon!

Edit: I just noticed the Paperwhite turns off its light during a firmware update, so it is possible to completely turn off the light. I wonder why Amazon doesn't make that a user-toggable option for those that want to conserve battery life. Probably doesn't make much of a difference anyway since LEDs use a tiny amount of power.

Lots of good features for us 1st gen Paperwhite users. Thank you Amazon!

Edit: I just noticed the Paperwhite turns off its light during a firmware update, so it is possible to completely turn off the light. I wonder why Amazon doesn't make that a user-toggable option for those that want to conserve battery life. Probably doesn't make much of a difference anyway since LEDs use a tiny amount of power.

Doesn't just dragging the light bar down below 1 turn it off? Looks off to me anyway.

kharma45

Ah ok, I'm in a room with lights on so its hard to tell.

Did you guys get the update wirelessly? How does it activate? I've had my kindle running with wifi on for a good 30 minutes now and it hasn't happened yet.

Mine hasn't auto-downloaded either so I'm just grabbing it off Amazon and doing it manually.

Nymerio

Updated my kindle just now and goodreads doesn't seem to be available in Austria. WTF, I have an Amazon account as well as a goodreads account, why shouldn't I be able to use it?

DagsJT

Updated my kindle just now and goodreads doesn't seem to be available in Austria. WTF, I have an Amazon account as well as a goodreads account, why shouldn't I be able to use it?

Is Goodreads meant to show under the social network section? Because it's not showing here in the UK either.

Top Bottom