• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Lots of good features for us 1st gen Paperwhite users. Thank you Amazon!

Edit: I just noticed the Paperwhite turns off its light during a firmware update, so it is possible to completely turn off the light. I wonder why Amazon doesn't make that a user-toggable option for those that want to conserve battery life. Probably doesn't make much of a difference anyway since LEDs use a tiny amount of power.

The light has always had the ability to shut off. When the device goes into sleep mode, whether through closing the magnetic cover, pressing the button, or after a certain amount of inactivity, the light is off. I messed around with the magnetic sensor and accidentally managed to have the device on but the light off.

I think amazon always keeps it on because they don't have a hardware toggle button. If you managed to have the light off, and turned your Kindle on in a dark environment, you're going to fumble around trying to bring up the light with touch controls. I think a solution could just be 2 quick presses of the button would toggle the light on or off, but maybe Amazon knows better.

Updated my kindle just now and goodreads doesn't seem to be available in Austria. WTF, I have an Amazon account as well as a goodreads account, why shouldn't I be able to use it?

It's a USA only feature for some silly reason. But honestly, it's not that good. It's slow and very basic. It's not the full experience. It's broken down to Updates, My Shelves, and Friends. It seems that you can only add Amazon purchased books, too. You can't explore it like you would the website or smartphone app.

But the update brings some great features. Page flip is really cool, probably the best part. I like that I have more options for what to display on the bottom during a book. The Smart Lookup is and The new bookmark system are improvements. I also think popup footnotes are new, which is fantastic. And vocabulary builder is something that I probably will use once I add more to it.

Nymerio

Is Goodreads meant to show under the social network section? Because it's not showing here in the UK either.

From the FAQ it seems it should appear on the menu bat on the home screen.

The light has always had the ability to shut off. When the device goes into sleep mode, whether through closing the magnetic cover, pressing the button, or after a certain amount of inactivity, the light is off. I messed around with the magnetic sensor and accidentally managed to have the device on but the light off.

I think amazon always keeps it on because they don't have a hardware toggle button. If you managed to have the light off, and turned your Kindle on in a dark environment, you're going to fumble around trying to bring up the light with touch controls. I think a solution could just be 2 quick presses of the button would toggle the light on or off, but maybe Amazon knows better.

It's a USA only feature for some silly reason. But honestly, it's not that good. It's slow and very basic. It's not the full experience. It's broken down to Updates, My Shelves, and Friends. It seems that you can only add Amazon purchased books, too. You can't explore it like you would the website or smartphone app.

But the update brings some great features. Page flip is really cool, probably the best part. I like that I have more options for what to display on the bottom during a book. The Smart Lookup is and The new bookmark system are improvements. I also think popup footnotes are new, which is fantastic. And vocabulary builder is something that I probably will use once I add more to it.

That's what I thought anyway, I just wanted a quick way to update what I'm reading. I hope they expand on it in the future and enable it for other countries.

glaurung

Is right now a good time to purchase a Paperwhite?

I know there is supposedly a new version coming some time in the future, but is it worth the wait?

O.DOGG

Is right now a good time to purchase a Paperwhite?

I know there is supposedly a new version coming some time in the future, but is it worth the wait?

I think so. It really depends on how bad you need an ereader, I guess. I have a K4 I'm using right now. If I didn't have that I imagine I would already have a PW. As it is, I am waiting for the reveal of the new model.

yyzjohn

Banned
I think so. It really depends on how bad you need an ereader, I guess. I have a K4 I'm using right now. If I didn't have that I imagine I would already have a PW. As it is, I am waiting for the reveal of the new model.

Same as me, I have K4 and i'm waiting to see if the rumors of the new paperwhite are true.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm so ready to buy this new paperwhite, I just hope it's it's improved enough to make me go off my 3. I tried the current PW, but the screen just didn't do it at all for me, I picked up my 3 after using it and noticed I liked the 3's much better (I guess the touchscreen is to blame for that) and I actually like the wide/flat feel of the 3 to the short/fat PW (don't think they'll change that though).

jred2k

I'm looking for a little input as I try to determine which Kindle model would be best for me. I'm debating between getting a Paperwhite or a Fire. I'm predominantly interested in using the device to read books, but I wouldn't mind having the option to use it for graphic novels or magazines. The Fire's features as a tablet don't really interest me because I use my phone for anything I want to do. So basically my main concerns with the Fire would be if the availability of graphic novels are worth the upgrade and if the added features have a noticeable interest on battery life? Would it be possible to put the Fire in to a black and white mode for when I'm reading a book and only switch on colour when needed? Thanks for any input.

Any case suggestions would be welcomed, as well.

Nymerio

I'm looking for a little input as I try to determine which Kindle model would be best for me. I'm debating between getting a Paperwhite or a Fire. I'm predominantly interested in using the device to read books, but I wouldn't mind having the option to use it for graphic novels or magazines. The Fire's features as a tablet don't really interest me because I use my phone for anything I want to do. So basically my main concerns with the Fire would be if the availability of graphic novels are worth the upgrade and if the added features have a noticeable interest on battery life? Would it be possible to put the Fire in to a black and white mode for when I'm reading a book and only switch on colour when needed? Thanks for any input.

If you want to read books I'd take a kindle over the fire any day. Reading on a e-ink display is not comparable to reading on a lcd display. Your eyes will thank you.

Ledsen

Don't buy a device without an e-ink screen to read books. That's my advice. Tablets are for browsing, gaming, working and reading comics, e-readers are for reading books.

Muchas Gracias:
Good news! You are entitled to a credit of $6.82 for some of your past Kindle book purchases. The credit results from legal settlements reached with publishers Hachette, HarperCollins, Simon & Schuster, Macmillan, and Penguin in antitrust lawsuits filed by State Attorneys General and Class Plaintiffs about the price of eBooks.

hythloday

Sup Kindle thread.

I have a Nook, and today I came to the sad realization that I am really unhappy with my Nook Glowlight and I don't really want to give B&N any more of my money because of it. I'm planning to use up the $40 credit I got from the ebook price settlement and then halt purchases til I buy a Paperwhite.

Makes me sad, but I really have to admit it's a superior product!

Sup Kindle thread.

I have a Nook, and today I came to the sad realization that I am really unhappy with my Nook Glowlight and I don't really want to give B&N any more of my money because of it. I'm planning to use up the $40 credit I got from the ebook price settlement and then halt purchases til I buy a Paperwhite.

Makes me sad, but I really have to admit it's a superior product!

Bummed that you didn't like the Nook, and I hope you enjoy your paperwhite more. It is an amazing ereader!

I'm a lit major and academic, so I am the last person you would expect to go ebook--"death of real reading, physical copy is just right," etc. However, I got a Paperwhite for my birthday and besides for theory texts and courses texts, I am all digital. Paperwhite is amazing. I am sure you will like it!

I've had this Kindle Keyboard for about 2 years now and today is the first day I actually use it.

Feel like kicking myself for waiting so long. Reading the first Game of Thrones book

Shiina

Does anybody use a Kindle for reading manga? If so, how is it? How does a normal one compare to a Paperwhite in that regard and how's the battery life when reading manga instead of books?

vazel

Banned
Does anybody use a Kindle for reading manga? If so, how is it? How does a normal one compare to a Paperwhite in that regard and how's the battery life when reading manga instead of books?
After reading manga on a Kindle you won't want to read them on an LCD again. Use Kindle Comic Converter to convert the manga into ebook formats.

I'm not sure how much battery life is affected. The main drain on the battery is page turns, so I suppose it would depend on what your average page turn rate is per hour with manga.

Salsa

hey guys, question: is it normal for Kindle 4s to slowly drain battery even when they're off?

given how long the battery lasts it hasnt really been much of an issue but im pretty sure it's happened in both of my units.

Sometimes I dont use it for a couple weeks and when I grab it, it's always dead or almost dead.

Wiktor

hey guys, question: is it normal for Kindle 4s to slowly drain battery even when they're off?

given how long the battery lasts it hasnt really been much of an issue but im pretty sure it's happened in both of my units.

Sometimes I dont use it for a couple weeks and when I grab it, it's always dead or almost dead.
Do you have wi-fi turned on?

vazel

Banned
That's something I noticed about my Paperwhite. Its battery drains faster than you would think for only 1-2 weeks of being off. I don't remember my Kindle 3's battery draining as fast.

For comparison I haven't used my DS in literally years and I turned it on just now and its battery still shows as having a full charge.

That's something I noticed about my Paperwhite. Its battery drains faster than you would think for only 1-2 weeks of being off. I don't remember my Kindle 3's battery draining as fast.

For comparison I haven't used my DS in literally years and I turned it on just now and its battery still shows as having a full charge.

Do you have the WiFi radio turned on?

Yes? It's funny question because well, it happens to every chemical battery ever done. They discharge themselves with time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-discharge

You never had... I don't know, a mobile or a mp3 or a remote control that after being turned off and without use for months, when you went to use it again, it didn't had any charge?

O.DOGG

That really depends on how many new books you have loaded on it. My Kindle 4's battery almost died a couple of hours after first loading the entirety of my old old K3's library on it. Turns out it goes through every book and indexes them so that they can be searched through, which is apparently very CPU-intensive. That's why the battery drains fast at first. After my books were indexed (a couple of hours later), it was business as usual. Same thing may apply to you and your Paperwhite.

yyzjohn

Banned
That really depends on how many new books you have loaded on it. My Kindle 4's battery almost died a couple of hours after first loading the entirety of my old old K3's library on it. Turns out it goes through every book and indexes them so that they can be searched through, which is apparently very CPU-intensive. That's why the battery drains fast at first. After my books were indexed (a couple of hours later), it was business as usual. Same thing may apply to you and your Paperwhite.

You hit the nail on the head. Anytime you load a new book it'll go through and index that book so it uses CPU time which drains battery. If you load a bunch at a time it'll drain fairly quickly. Best to keep the kindle plugged in when you load a large number of books and let it do it's thing.

Easy way to tell if it's finished..do a search on your kindle for some nonsense that won't be in a book like "TTTFRRR"..if it's done indexing it'll tell you "no results found" or something, if it's still indexing it'll have a message like "x items still to be indexed" or something like that.

mantidor

Has anyone tried custom wallpapers? I haven't keep up with the jailbreak and last time I checked it was only for previous Kindles, but "apparently" worked on paperwhite. I don't know if it has its own version now.

So just realized I should get a case now too. Won't pay $40 for a case but looking through the thread I've come upon these 3 cases. Any reason to with one or the other? Otherwise I'm thinking I'll go with the DX one or the cheapest on on Amazon.
https://dx.com/p/stylish-pu-leather-protective-carrying-case-for-kindle-4-black-109664

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009STVH4C/?tag=neogaf0e-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062IPIPQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

i got this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DU65UPG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

its pretty much a bootleg of the amazon one but with a strap to easier hold, and the material is a bit cheap.

Still, it has magnetic strap and is lightweight and thin. well worth $10

What are everyone's thoughts and opinions on using the Kindle Paperwhite for comic books and mangas? (I am not much of a book reader but I read loads of comics). Is it a good experience and does it take all formats or do I need to convert them?

Thanks!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What are everyone's thoughts and opinions on using the Kindle Paperwhite for comic books and mangas? (I am not much of a book reader but I read loads of comics). Is it a good experience and does it take all formats or do I need to convert them?

Thanks!

You can use Kindle Comic Converter to scale and colour balance them. Mangas are fine, but I have no idea what comics would look like.

Thanks!

manga works fine because of the size. Comics not soo much, and color is a big thing for that.

Makes more sense to get a cheap tablet for comic/manga reading, but i'd recommend shelling out $200 or w/e the nexus 7 cost, because that screen is fantastic for the price.

I like books that makes me think differently how I see the world. The kind of book that I can read again and again, and I will have new discoveries.

Or the book that everyone should read.

I like books that makes me think differently how I see the world. The kind of book that I can read again and again, and I will have new discoveries.

Or the book that everyone should read.

have you read Confederacy of Dunces? it is an amazingly funny read that everyone should have read at some point.

Outside of that, try to check off at least one book from famous writers: Faulkner, Hemmingway, Marquez, etc. This will give you a frame of reference when having literary discussions with friends.

Necrovex

Kindle-Gaf, when I get home from Chicago today, I shall see my new glorious Paperwhite, due to a Gaffer using his Amazon deal on little ol' me. I used to own a Kindle 3, before it went and died on me.

It's been a few years since I have used one. Since then, I have become an avid addict to libraries. Has these mythical places started to adopt E-books yet? Can I continue to rent novels?

Salsa

Yes? It's funny question because well, it happens to every chemical battery ever done. They discharge themselves with time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-discharge

You never had... I don't know, a mobile or a mp3 or a remote control that after being turned off and without use for months, when you went to use it again, it didn't had any charge?

well, I meant that it happens at a way faster rate than any other device. Drains at about the same speed it does when it's on.

turning wi-fi off definetly helped tho

Kindle-Gaf, when I get home from Chicago today, I shall see my new glorious Paperwhite, due to a Gaffer using his Amazon deal on little ol' me. I used to own a Kindle 3, before it went and died on me.

It's been a few years since I have used one. Since then, I have become an avid addict to libraries. Has these mythical places started to adopt E-books yet? Can I continue to rent novels?

Depends on the library. Usually they have a few ebooks, but a very limited selection and they are always "checked out"

Is there a way to transfer my library and folders from one paperwhite to another? Creating folders and getting things right was a HUGE pain in the ass, and I don't want to have to do it again because my current paperwhite died and a replacement is on the way.

Top Bottom