• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

maxxpower said:
I don't have a smartphone, what is the primary difference between Wi-fi and 3G access?

WiFi uses your Internet through a WiFi router or access point. 3G access is like a cellular phone connection.

There is no reason to come to this thread to push the Kindle. If someone is interested in the Nook they can go read about it in the official Nook thread.

I fell asleep with my Kindle on me last night, and I woke up with it on my wood floor. It looks like the back popped open a bit. I clicked it back in, but I'm worried the Kindle will never be the same. There are no other issues from what I've seen. Does this happen often?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Class_A_Ninja said:
I fell asleep with my Kindle on me last night, and I woke up with it on my wood floor. It looks like the back popped open a bit. I clicked it back in, but I'm worried the Kindle will never be the same. There are no other issues from what I've seen. Does this happen often?

Well, I definitely remember you fell asleep and dropped it twice last year, so yeah, I think it happens often.

Gvaz

Banned
Class_A_Ninja said:
Maybe if you got a case for it you wouldn't have to worry about things like this.

Amazon’s ‘Big Deals’ Puts 900 Kindle Books On Sale - Including Big 6 Titles
Following the success of its “Sunshine Deals” promotion, Amazon (NSDQ: AMZN) is running an even bigger sale on Kindle books: The Big Deal, with over 900 titles on sale for $0.99, $1.99, $2.99 and $3.99 through July 27. And here’s the kicker: For the first time ever, Big 6 publishers like Random House are participating in the sale.

The “big six” publishers—Random House, HarperCollins, Hachette, Simon & Schuster (NYSE: CBS), Penguin and Macmillan—use the agency model for e-book pricing: They set prices for their e-books, and retailers like Amazon sell them at that price and receive a 30 percent commission. Under the wholesale model, which most other publishers are using, publishers set the list price for their e-books and retailers can then sell them at whatever price they want.

Cool, just bought this for $1.99:
Dbvl8.jpg

Gvaz said:
do you have a link? or is this not on the canadian amazon store?
dr3upmushroom said:
There's only a couple books I want this time, but if they keep up on sales like this I'm going to have a Steam-style backlog of ebooks soon.

Is it possible for people in the US to grab this $10 SoIaF collection?

Go to the "Manage your Kindle" page, and then to "Country settings" and change your address to a Canadian address. I made-up a street number and address and used:

(Pulled off Canadian 411)
City: Toronto
State/Province/Region: ON
ZIP/Postal Code: M4C 2H1

Save it, and go the amazon.com kindle section and you will get the Canadian store/prices. I checked and it is still $9.99

Edit: I swear I've edited this one post 7 times.

brentech

Thanks man, can't beat $10 for the series, I really didn't want to pay the 30 since I own the book box set already. Shall stick to normal prices for everything else most likely. I feel kind of dirty.

edit: Now I just have to figure out how to break the books up. If not, oh well, but I'm kind of picky like that.

Gvaz

Banned
brentech said:
Thanks man, can't beat $10 for the series, I really didn't want to pay the 30 since I own the book box set already. Shall stick to normal prices for everything else most likely. I feel kind of dirty.

edit: Now I just have to figure out how to break the books up. If not, oh well, but I'm kind of picky like that.
Use Sigil.

brentech

Gvaz said:
Use Sigil.
After my post I was going through the OP and reading and noticed that.

If this is done, I assume the process is along the lines of: Import to Calibre, Convert to ePub, move to Sigil and do whatever there for splitting, import new books to Calibre, convert to mobi and done?

And second question, is any functionality lost in converting purchased Kindle books?

brentech said:
After my post I was going through the OP and reading and noticed that.

If this is done, I assume the process is along the lines of: Import to Calibre, Convert to ePub, move to Sigil and do whatever there for splitting, import new books to Calibre, convert to mobi and done?

And second question, is any functionality lost in converting purchased Kindle books?

You'd lose syncing your place across devices.

brentech

After playing around with Sigil I decided it wasn't worth the time to to split it (you'd have to delete each chapter one at a time as it doesn't allow shift+click or ctrl+click...then do that whole process 4 times over for each book). Instead I just renamed the series along with all my other books in Calibre.

So the 4 book collection and A Dance with Dragons are respectively titled,
ASOIAF : 1 - 4
ASOIAF : 5 : A Dance with Dragons

In doing so, I've found that, the books can still sync my spot with the meta-data and change to MOBI format via Calibre....and, the change to MOBI has also added page numbers to ADWD! Pretty happy about that.

Sleepy

898 said:
Does anyone have any recommendations for anything that is on sale? I glanced over the first page or so of a few categories and nothing really caught my eye.

Brave New World and Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell are the two that stand out to me.

Bleh, I'm really kicking myself for not waiting for a 3G with Offers Kindle. Being on a subway before a commute made 3G not as big a deal, taking a train now changes that. Granted if I really need something badly I have a phone with Kindle on it, but I would still like the option so I don't need to use a (albeit) free Wifi Spot in Penn Station to sync books (before anyone asks my work uses software that doesn't allow for one to use USB transfers). I wonder if people would buy a regular mint Kindle Wifi for say 15 dollars under the price of a new one? Anyone here? lol It's a shame (and I understand why) you can't sell used Kindles on Amazon.

Related do people have instructions on how to wipe a Kindle clean (like you would an iPad before reselling it)?

Oh protrip: Using collections is essential! Before it I had 11 pages of random things (lots of PD books and old pulp stories) strewn about. Using collections while a bit time consuming at first. It's a shame you can't organize on a computer and then sync it to the PC.

commish

Help Me! said:
Brave New World and Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell are the two that stand out to me.

Jonathan Strange is such a slowwwwwwwwww book. It was praised to high heaven, and perhaps it deserves such praise, but I couldn't finish it.

Killing Pable for $3.99. I remember reading it serialized back in the day in the Philly Inquirer, really great read, even if some info may be out of date by now. I'm not sure that's the case, but it's always fair warning for any recent or current event subject book.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
commish said:
Jonathan Strange is such a slowwwwwwwwww book. It was praised to high heaven, and perhaps it deserves such praise, but I couldn't finish it.

I have to agree, and I usually love slow, deliberate plotting. People call it the "lost" Jane Austen book because of the style of writing, but it really doesn't seem like her at all. I often say I loved half the book. The other half could have been hacked out and not really effect the book or the impact of the story. Unnecessary scenes only weigh the book down. I really wanted to love the whole book, but unfortunately...

commish

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Killing Pable for $3.99. I remember reading it serialized back in the day in the Philly Inquirer, really great read, even if some info may be out of date by now. I'm not sure that's the case, but it's always fair warning for any recent or current event subject book.

Out of date? Is Pablo now alive? :p

Sleepy

VistraNorrez said:
Faulkner's As I Lay Dying is $3.99.

Good deal. Grab it!

Regarding the Jonathan Strange talk: I didn't find it slow at all. One of my favorite books; top five, at least. It grabbed me from the first page, everything fit together perfectly for me, no problems with pacing...I've read it three times.

Where's the info on the Kindle touch Amazon?! Where the fuck is it?!!

Fxp

HiroProtagonist said:
Go to the "Manage your Kindle" page, and then to "Country settings" and change your address to a Canadian address. I made-up a street number and address and used:

(Pulled off Canadian 411)
City: Toronto
State/Province/Region: ON
ZIP/Postal Code: M4C 2H1

Save it, and go the amazon.com kindle section and you will get the Canadian store/prices. I checked and it is still $9.99

Edit: I swear I've edited this one post 7 times.

After buying ASOIAF bundle for $9.99 I received e-mail from Amazon asking to confirm my new Canadian address. Should I ignore it or Amazon will refund the money and remove ASOIAF from my Kindle library?

Fxp said:
After buying ASOIAF bundle for $9.99 I received e-mail from Amazon asking to confirm my new Canadian address. Should I ignore it or Amazon will refund the money and remove ASOIAF from my Kindle library?
Everyone just ignores it, and Amazon never follows up.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Lissar said:
I have to agree, and I usually love slow, deliberate plotting. People call it the "lost" Jane Austen book because of the style of writing, but it really doesn't seem like her at all. I often say I loved half the book. The other half could have been hacked out and not really effect the book or the impact of the story. Unnecessary scenes only weigh the book down. I really wanted to love the whole book, but unfortunately...
It was a hard read, I think the second half was better actually. I finished and liked it, but it was tough going.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
HiroProtagonist said:
Everyone just ignores it, and Amazon never follows up.
I'm screwed now though, this message comes before I can successfully purchase. If you do this alot, they turn on checking, to see if your ip matches country and you get stuck with a 'contact amazon to continue' message :(

I ruined my chances by getting about 30 free books while registered at the canadian address. damnit.

did get the latest ASOIAF for a 10er canadian before that happened though.

catfish said:
I'm screwed now though, this message comes before I can successfully purchase. If you do this alot, they turn on checking, to see if your ip matches country and you get stuck with a 'contact amazon to continue' message :(

I ruined my chances by getting about 30 free books while registered at the canadian address. damnit.

did get the latest ASOIAF for a 10er canadian before that happened though.

Really? That's the first I've read of that. I'll update the OP.

Edit: How many books did you buy before this happened?

bangai-o

Banned
do Kindle screen's warp in the heat? I keep mine in my backpack with my class text books and only a month later i cant see a thing.

10zn1cl.jpg

it has been hitting 105 hot outside all month, that is the only guess i have of why. I havent dropped it.

bangai-o said:
do Kindle screen's warp in the heat? I keep mine in my backpack with my class text books and only a month later i cant see a thing.
it has been hitting 105 hot outside all month, that is the only guess i have of why. I havent dropped it.
This guy from Mobile Reads had the exact same backpack induced screen problem.
http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110670

You should definitely read the thread before you call Amazon. Use it as a guide of what NOT to do when you talk with Amazon CS.

bangai-o said:

10zn1cl.jpg

Call Amazon Kindle support, they will overnight you a new one.

Granger Danger said:
When is BNW passing into the public domain?
Originally published in 1932.

Checked Project Gutenberg's info on US copyright lengths. This bit seems relevant:
Works published and copyrighted 1923-1977 retain copyright for 95 years.
Going by that, 2027.

I wondered what about the UK. Looking at Wikipedia information on UK copyright law,
Essentially, the 1988 Act and amendments establish that the author's copyright in most published works lasts until 70 years after the death of the author
which would put it at 2033 in that territory.

Gvaz

Banned
bangai-o said:

10zn1cl.jpg

Another guy on SomethingAwful had the same exact thing happen to him.

It's more like it got smooshed in your bag than overheated.

Get a case next time.

Malajax

I managed to have my Kindle for a grand total of 3 days before accidentally cracking the screen. I'll definitely have to invest in a case for my replacement Kindle.

Top Bottom