• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
bangai-o said:

Someone stole my bag from the hotel where I stayed last week. Apparently the thief doesn't like to read because we found my Kindle two days later near the pool. It looked exactly like yours. I called Amazon to ask about a replacement screen which I would pay for. The guy on the phone told that this wasn't my fault and they would send me a new one. It arrived one day later. Amazon is awesome.

Number45

Realised last night that The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings are available for Kindle, for some reason I thought they weren't. I know what I'll be picking up next, haven't read them for years.

bangai-o said:
do Kindle screen's warp in the heat? I keep mine in my backpack with my class text books and only a month later i cant see a thing.

http://i55.tinypic.com/10zn1cl.jpg[IMG]

it has been hitting 105 hot outside all month, that is the only guess i have of why. I havent dropped it.[/QUOTE]

You had in in your backpack without protection? That's like cracking the screen with your own hands.

The screen is extremely fragile. I mean, the first time I had the thing in my hands, I knew that I had to be careful with it.

Ratrat

PjotrStroganov said:
You had in in your backpack without protection? That's like cracking the screen with your own hands.

The screen is extremely fragile. I mean, the first time I had the thing in my hands, I knew that I had to be careful with it.
By protection do you mean a case or do you also need a screen protector? Wouldn't that create glare?

I'm waiting for mine to arrive. Cant fucking wait.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Originally published in 1932.

Checked Project Gutenberg's info on US copyright lengths. This bit seems relevant:

Works published and copyrighted 1923-1977 retain copyright for 95 years.

Going by that, 2027.

I wondered what about the UK. Looking at Wikipedia information on UK copyright law,

Essentially, the 1988 Act and amendments establish that the author's copyright in most published works lasts until 70 years after the death of the author

which would put it at 2033 in that territory.

The 70 years after author's death also applies to Author's in the US as well with 1978 onward publications. It's insane. I really hope Creative Commons becomes a big thing.

Ratrat said:
By protection do you mean a case or do you also need a screen protector? Wouldn't that create glare?

I'm waiting for mine to arrive. Cant fucking wait.

No, I meant a flip cover that protects the front and the back. I bet that putting pressure to the back can damage the screen too.

I personally have this hemp cover.

It is a bit expensive for a cover but I love it.

There are much cheaper ones with other methods for fixing the kindle into place. For instance with straps.
414A%2BxZNsbL.jpg

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I got this. No problems so far.

Beowulf28 said:
So I'm confused about this special offer Kindle. Are the sponsored screensavers ads? Can I change it or am I stuck with it?

They are sponsored ads. I think you can influence what the ads are, but I'm not sure. You might be able to get rid of them with custom firmware, but I've never tampered with it.

The ads are very non-intrusive. They're used as a screensaver and are placed at the bottom of the home screen, taking up 1/6 of it. Some of the ads are actually worthwhile. I have no regrets getting mine.

brentech

I use the hemp world tree cover as well. I love the thing.
The special ads kindle is great IMO. Saves quite a bit of money with it.

Therion

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good hard case (not cover) for transporting a kindle? I have this semi-hard one, but I really want something solid that can take a real beating while still protecting the device. I don't know if this feature exists, but if the case was insulated against extreme temperatures that would be good too. Any suggestions?

bangai-o

Banned
PjotrStroganov said:

i kept it in my trapper keeper, inside one of those pencil holders.

I called them, they are sending me a replacement.

Man, now I'm paranoid about my Kindle. I just got it in June after school was already out, but I was planning on keeping it in my backpack this upcoming semester.

At least Amazon seems cool about it. It almost seems ridiculous, I can't think of any other electronics manufacturer that will replace a product when it's clearly the user's fault that it was broken. I bet they'll stop once too many find out you can get a new Kindle if you break the screen.

bangai-o

Banned
dr3upmushroom said:
Man, now I'm paranoid about my Kindle. I just got it in June after school was already out, but I was planning on keeping it in my backpack this upcoming semester.

At least Amazon seems cool about it. It almost seems ridiculous, I can't think of any other electronics manufacturer that will replace a product when it's clearly the user's fault that it was broken. I bet they'll stop once too many find out you can get a new Kindle if you break the screen.
i wonder if they take a look at your account and determine the replacement based on how you have been a loyal buyer at Amazon.

bangai-o said:
i wonder if they take a look at your account and determine the replacement based on how you have been a loyal buyer at Amazon.
I've spent close to a hundred dollars on Kindle books in the roughly two months I've had it, so hopefully it's something like that.

It's kind of shifty though, it seems like some shithead could cause a stink about not getting their device fixed/ replaced when other people in the same situation have and ruin it for everyone.

Sleepy

Didn't Apple just kick off Nook, Google and Kindle apps from its OS? If so, things should get really fucking interesting in October. Bring on the Kindle Touch!
I hope to hell it's better than the Nook Touch, which is pretty fucking great.

mojiimbo

Help Me! said:
Didn't Apple just kick off Nook, Google and Kindle apps from its OS? If so, things should get really fucking interesting in October. Bring on the Kindle Touch!
I hope to hell it's better than the Nook Touch, which is pretty fucking great.
The Nook app seems to still be there and I got an update this morning for the Kindle app that removed the link to Amazon's Kindle store.

Sleepy

mojiimbo said:
The Nook app seems to still be there and I got an update this morning for the Kindle app that removed the link to Amazon's Kindle store.

Well, I think people could still get the apps through Safari. (??)

TheExodu5 said:
This is my Kindle cover:

Best Kindle cover ever!

Love it.

Um...link?

Gvaz

Banned
They're made to order with real leather and pewter, how cheap do you expect that to be?

You place an order with them and don't hear back for like 2 weeks or something while they make it for you.

I want one too but it's a little rich for my blood atm.

Socreges

Banned
Gvaz said:
They're made to order with real leather and pewter, how cheap do you expect that to be?

You place an order with them and don't hear back for like 2 weeks or something while they make it for you.

I want one too but it's a little rich for my blood atm.
No one seems to be saying that it's not a fair value - rather that it's (obviously) a lot to pay for a cover.

Just took advantage of Best Buy's deal and got a Kindle 3G with special offers for $139 + $30 gift card, which I used to buy Amazon gift cards. So basically I got a Kindle and $50 of Amazon gift cards for $169 :)

Has anyone taken advantage of the $1 Mystery/Thriller special offer? I was eyeing Ian Flemming's Dr. No or Jack Higgins' A Season in Hell. Any suggestions from any of the books a part of the offer?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Easystride said:
Just took advantage of Best Buy's deal and got a Kindle 3G with special offers for $139 + $30 gift card, which I used to buy Amazon gift cards. So basically I got a Kindle and $50 of Amazon gift cards for $169 :)

Has anyone taken advantage of the $1 Mystery/Thriller special offer? I was eyeing Ian Flemming's Dr. No or Jack Higgins' A Season in Hell. Any suggestions from any of the books a part of the offer?

Me too. Just got it this afternoon. My wife loves hers and our plan of "sharing" did not work out as she reads it all the time and I never got to use hers. So now we each have one.

How do we rotate through the offers? I saw a good one but it went away before I could do anything to click on it.

And those Oberon covers above are amazing. I am extremely tempted by this one:
9699.jpg

AndyD said:
Me too. Just got it this afternoon. My wife loves hers and our plan of "sharing" did not work out as she reads it all the time and I never got to use hers. So now we each have one.

How do we rotate through the offers? I saw a good one but it went away before I could do anything to click on it.
Push menu, then go to "View Special Offers" towards the bottom.

bangai-o

Banned
DiscoJer said:
This is my Kindle cover (well, sleeve)

KindleSleeve2.jpg

$1 something for a padded mailer, plus lots of duct tape...
i am going to pick up some bubble wraps as my cover for the replacement when i mail off my damaged kindle.

Socreges

Banned
Canadians:

Greetings from Amazon.com.

We're writing to let you know we processed your refund of $31.51 for your Order 102-6740239-*********.

This refund is for the following item(s):

Item: Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Wi-Fi, 6" Display, Graphite - Latest Generation [Includes USB Cable for Charging. For International Shipment]
Quantity: 1
ASIN: **********
Reason for refund: Export fee reduced

Here's the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Export Charge Refund: $31.51

We'll apply your refund to the following payment method(s):

MasterCard Credit Card [ending with ****]: $31.51

Refunds typically complete within 10 business days and appear as a credit on your statement.

Have questions about our refund policy?
Visit our Help section for more information:

http://www.amazon.com/refunds

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Sincerely,

Amazon.com
We're Building Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company
https://www.amazon.com/?tag=neogaf0e-20
I had no idea that was coming. <3 Amazon. I think I'll go buy some books now.

tl;dr, Amazon has put the kibosh on the export fee and is even refunding those that had already suffered it. I'm not sure how far back the refunds go, but I bought my Kindle about two months ago.

Meier

Does anyone know if there are any rumors on the release date for the next Kindle? Trying to decide on buying one for my gf now or getting her Amazon credit.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If the refresh rate of the screen is dramatically improved, I may replace my 3rd generation with whatever comes next.

Hanzou

Socreges said:
Canadians:

I had no idea that was coming. <3 Amazon. I think I'll go buy some books now.

tl;dr, Amazon has put the kibosh on the export fee and is even refunding those that had already suffered it. I'm not sure how far back the refunds go, but I bought my Kindle about two months ago.

I better get that email soon as I ordered mine just a coupe weeks after you and paid the same import fee.

Sleepy

Meier said:
Does anyone know if there are any rumors on the release date for the next Kindle? Trying to decide on buying one for my gf now or getting her Amazon credit.

October.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Are there any books anyone recommends from the sale amazon is having on ebooks that ends tomorrow?

Only the two I mentioned before: Jonathan Strange and BNW.

Sleepy

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Jonathan strange is good then? I was looking at it debating for a little while but didn't look further into it. I already bought BNW.

Well, do you like fantastic literature? Alternate-history literature? Victorian social manners? Footnotes? Then get it. One of my favorite books and totally worth the 2.99. My wife HATED it though and couldn't finish it.

Help Me! said:
Well, do you like fantastic literature? Historical literature? Victorian social manners? Footnotes? Then get it. One of my favorite books and totally worth the 2.99. My wife HATED it though and couldn't finish it.

Eh, I'm not too picky. I like a lot of different types of books, I was intrigued by it before so if I could people think it's good I don't mind trying it for $2.99. Thanks.

Sleepy

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Eh, I'm not too picky. I like a lot of different types of books, I was intrigued by it before so if I could people think it's good I don't mind trying it for $2.99. Thanks.

No worries. I hope you like it.

Top Bottom