• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

gonna hop in here and say, i've used my kindle touch a lot since my gf got it for me for my birthday. very lightweight, battery lasting forever, easy to use, i use my library eloan program + amazon prime...read more books in the past month than i have in like, 6 months.

nice little machine.

jayb

New Kindle 4 software update (4.1.0): http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...lqf-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957

New features in this update include:
-Improved reading font that is higher contrast and crisper so that you can enjoy a paper-like reading experience.

-Parental Controls that allow you to restrict access to the Experimental Web Browser, Archived Items, and the Kindle Store.

-Support for books with complex layouts and formats with Kindle Format 8.

-Support for children's books with Kindle Text Pop-Up and comic books with Kindle Panel View (which allows you to read a comic book panel by panel). Books that support these features will be available in the Kindle store over the next few weeks.

-Dictionaries grouped into a collection in Home and Archived Items called "Dictionaries" for better organization.

-Improved table and image viewing (panning and zooming) on supported titles.

Kem0sabe

Anyone recommend a good reading light for the kindle touch? i refuse to pay for the overpriced cover (with the included light).

Fewr

Anyone recommend a good reading light for the kindle touch? i refuse to pay for the overpriced cover (with the included light).
There are some cheap cigarette lighters that include a small lamp as well. I use one of those. I've also got some keychains with a mini lamp.

Danj

The Verso clip-on light isn't bad, I've been using that one when I've needed it. Do take the batteries out (they're button cells) if you throw it in a bag with your kindle though, it seems like it does have a tendency to get switched on while getting bumped around.

Looks like Roberto Bolano's By Night in Chile, as well as a few of his other works, are finally coming out for the Kindle. June 30 is the date. Sadly neither 2666 nor The Savage Detectives are coming yet, but I already own those in paperback.

flowsnake

Snuff (Discworld) just got really cheap for some reason (£2.69/$4.13). I don't know if it's a sale or what, but grab it while you can. ereaderiq's price watching thing is glorious.

Ceebs

Snuff (Discworld) just got really cheap for some reason (£2.69/$4.13). I don't know if it's a sale or what, but grab it while you can. ereaderiq's price watching thing is glorious.

Maybe a promo to tie in with his new book that comes out in a little over a week.

Does anyone with a Kindle Touch take a lot of notes? I've never really bothered, but I've been reading a book for school and taking and annotating a lot of notes and I actually really like, being able to scroll through everything I've highlighted and also jump right to their location is awesome. So I think I'm going to start doing more serious non-fiction reading on my Kindle, and I'm sort of worried how typing will be if I upgrade. Granted I'm only typing a few sentences at a time.

Also, does anyone know what happens if someone gifts me something on my wish list that I already own? It's sort of annoying that if someone gets you a Kindle book it doesn't automatically take it off the wish list.

Sorry in advance to anyone who clicks the thread expecting news on the new models.

My Kindle 3 w/keyboard bit the dust the other day when I dropped it on my concrete patio. Despite the $40 padded leather case, it managed to hit edge on (spine up) and the kindle itself came off from the hooks and impacted the concrete. It would not turn on again, despite recharging and attempting reset it.

I called Amazon, but since my kindle was almost two years old and out of warranty, I had to spring for $65 to get a refurbished one.

The guy on the phone at Amazon mentioned something about me sending the broken kindle back to them, but the replacement kindle arrived with only a bill of sale and no word about sending the other one back. Does anyone know if I'm obliged to return the broken one as a condition of buying a refurbished one, or should I just forget about it?

mononaut

Neo Member
You should probably contact support just to avoid any problems with them accidentally charging your card for the full price.

luoapp

My Kindle 3 w/keyboard bit the dust the other day when I dropped it on my concrete patio. Despite the $40 padded leather case, it managed to hit edge on (spine up) and the kindle itself came off from the hooks and impacted the concrete. It would not turn on again, despite recharging and attempting reset it.

I called Amazon, but since my kindle was almost two years old and out of warranty, I had to spring for $65 to get a refurbished one.

The guy on the phone at Amazon mentioned something about me sending the broken kindle back to them, but the replacement kindle arrived with only a bill of sale and no word about sending the other one back. Does anyone know if I'm obliged to return the broken one as a condition of buying a refurbished one, or should I just forget about it?

Send it back, otherwise the new one will show up on your credit card bill in 30(?) days as if you bought it.

gcubed

Send it back, otherwise the new one will show up on your credit card bill in 30(?) days as if you bought it.

He already paid for the new one.

When I inquired about the same situation they didn't want the broken one back. I decided to hold off at that price for the new ones.

He already paid for the new one.

When I inquired about the same situation they didn't want the broken one back. I decided to hold off at that price for the new ones.

I just went ahead and emailed Amazon to ask if they want the old kindle back, I'll see what they say.

edit: Got a reply:

I understand your concern regarding the return of your damaged Kindle.

Please return the damaged Kindle. When you return your Kindle, please keep your USB cable or power adapter, manual, and any accessories or other items that originally shipped with your Kindle. Remember to back up your personal content to your computer.

If possible, please turn off wireless on your Kindle, insert the Kindle into a plastic bag, put it in original packaging if available, and send it back to us within 30 days from the date of this e-mail. If we don't receive the device by then, you'll be charged for the replacement Kindle.

I've created an authorized return label that may only be used for the return of the damaged Kindle. Follow the link below to print your mailing label:

Of course, they already charged me for the replacement Kindle, it wasn't free. But I'll go ahead and send the other one back.

chiQ

I just went ahead and emailed Amazon to ask if they want the old kindle back, I'll see what they say.

edit: Got a reply:

Of course, they already charged me for the replacement Kindle, it wasn't free. But I'll go ahead and send the other one back.

Are you sure they didn't just put a hold on your card for that amount? If not they will refund you when they receive the old one.

Are you sure they didn't just put a hold on your card for that amount? If not they will refund you when they receive the old one.

No, when I initially called the guy told me my kindle was out of warranty (it's almost two years old), and that the refurbished one would cost me $65.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I might jump in on a Kindle if the 5th gen they announced is a decent improvement on current gen kindle.

I've been resistant as I still feel that an actual book is better than e-book but prices are so damn low for e-books on Amazon its hard to resist any longer.

Speculation is July 31st. Backlit Kindle and new Kindle Fire models.

Are they rumored to be released July 31 or just announced?

I was pretty jealous when I first played around with the Nook with light we got my grandpa for Father's Day, but I'm getting an iPad soon and honestly I don't think they're too bad to read on in the dark. Just turn the brightness all the way down, and the Kindle app lets you lower it further.

My Keyboard is showing it's age, it flexs a lot when I use it, and it would be nice to have a smaller Kindle, but after reading with my girlfriend's iPad at night over the past week, I'm not sure I need a new one.

Mollymauk

I will be all over the backlit Kindle when it arrives. I love reading in bed at night, and I can never get my booklight in quite the right position.

Edit: I guess it's really front-lit. :p

vazel

Banned
Has anyone gotten anything good out of the Kindle ads lately? I haven't in months so I'm just going to disable it. I figure if something good is featured I'll hear about it on the internet.

Pollux

I've had the same Kindle for about 2-3 years now...my question:

Is it worth it to get a Kindle Fire? Is it worth the $199?

Somnid

Not now. They're announcing/releasing new models in like a month and the Nexus 7 is a much better tablet for $200.

I love my kindle, and am a big fan of Amazon, but I found the Kindle Fire to be of little use. It's simply too small for comic/magazine reading and pdf viewing. :(

Speculation is July 31st. Backlit Kindle and new Kindle Fire models.
Ah just in time to be outdated by the next nook soon after. Seems to me that Amazon lack the very ability to innovate anymore. Amazing that it took them this long to respond to the nooks light.

Next-gen Kindle suffering screen-light setbacks tip insiders

Previously, Amazon had been expected to bring the new Kindle to market at the beginning of Q3 2012, pegging retail availability as early as this month. However, supply chain sources say the retailer has frozen shipments of select Kindle components, indicating a shut-down as the fault is worked through, with that process potentially taking July and August to complete.

Ereaders like the Kindle and NOOK using e-paper displays from manufacturers like E Ink differ from traditional LCD screens in that they lack a backlight. Instead, they reflect ambient light back out through the display, meaning they are easier on the eyes and can be use even in direct sunlight – in fact, the screen only gets clearer the stronger the light directed upon it.

However, that also means that in low-light situations, the e-paper displays can be tricky to use, especially given such panels generally have worse contrast levels than LCD or OLED. One solution is front-lighting, where an LED light source on top of the e-paper screen creates artificial ambient lighting.

WowBaby

What problems? Curious. I hadn't heard anything other than its awesome.

Or do you mean during development?

I was referring to the fact that the lighted screen seems to be very fragile. Customers in the Nook forums at BN complain about the fact that once there is a "scratch" the screen shows a very bright spot that renders that area unsuitable for reading in the dark. And while some have been able to get replacements, others have had a hard time and waited too long for one. I would like a lighted Kindle, as I've had Kindle's since the first one came out, but I don't want something that is extremely fragile.

I think I'm going to finally go ahead and get the low-end today. Is it worth jumping up to touch? I don't really want Fire, since I'm strictly using these for books.

bro1

Banned
I think I'm going to finally go ahead and get the low-end today. Is it worth jumping up to touch? I don't really want Fire, since I'm strictly using these for books.

Get the low end, it's the best of the bunch. I use mine all the time and gave my Kindle Fire to my 5 year old son. The low end is the best for reading, better than the fire or my ipad

Get the low end, it's the best of the bunch. I use mine all the time and gave my Kindle Fire to my 5 year old son. The low end is the best for reading, better than the fire or my ipad

Awesome, thanks! I'm going to pick one up today. I can thank for the amazing Cloud Atlas trailer that made me want to get the book, but then realized I read more than I thought so Kindle time!

Man, fuck Amazon. I have a rewards credit card, but you cannot use the reward points on anything you buy for kindle. And you can't buy a digital gift card with the points either. So to use my points for kindle books, I have to buy a physical gift card and wait for it to arrive in the mail. That is fucking stupid. What the hell are they thinking with this?

bangai-o

Banned
What's going on with color e-ink?
What about an Amazon color e-ink smartphone?
What about Amazon color e-ink smart glasses?
i dont know how color e-ink would benefit kindle though. it doesnt have anything to showcase color besides the web browser. i guess color ads would sound good for advertisers.

epmode

i dont know how color e-ink would benefit kindle though. it doesnt have anything to showcase color besides the web browser. i guess color ads would sound good for advertisers.

I'm pretty sure that some Kindle books have color illustrations if you read them with the iOS app.

harSon

Banned
Think I'm going to pick up a Kindle or Nook in the coming week. I definitely need to start reading more... I've been slacking for the past few years.

Top Bottom