• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

Wiktor

Ah just in time to be outdated by the next nook soon after. Seems to me that Amazon lack the very ability to innovate anymore. Amazing that it took them this long to respond to the nooks light.

They just want to do it right, which Nook Light doesn't.
Plus I doubt we'll see new Nook before next year.

They just want to do it right, which Nook Light doesn't.
Plus I doubt we'll see new Nook before next year.

I really don't expect them to do anything other than add the light feature to the latest Kindle. I guess they might improve battery life and processor speed, too. I'd be delighted if they upped the resolution and added new unheard of features, but I don't see it happening.

No matter what it's going to have the same issues as the Nook with glowlight.

I really don't see a color Kindle until they are cheaper and/or the tech is improved. The color filter put over the screen reduces contrast and the color is, at best, about as vibrant as a newspaper.

I would guess other e-paper technologies would be used instead of Eink's should a Kindle ever be color.

I really think the only hardware improvement worth it is the higher resolution displays.

I thought they would've announced Kindles with a light feature by now but I haven't really kept up with it since the Nexus 7 was announced :/

Is that for non touch also? I thought it was only for the touch model. Or that was the rumor at one point but I might be remembering incorrectly. I guess I'll tell him to hold off then.

iammeiam

I thought they would've announced Kindles with a light feature by now but I haven't really kept up with it since the Nexus 7 was announced :/

There's a link earlier in the thread basically saying the lighted Kindles are rumored to be delayed due to a manufacturing flaw Amazon is working to repair prior to release, so pushed back until late August or after.

I'd like a Kindle Touch with built-in lighting and physical page turn buttons. It'd be the best.

bangai-o

Banned
im guessing amazon will go the lazy route and add glow to the kindle touch/4 and thats it. no updates. pdf viewing will still suck. landscape will not be coming back. no bump to 1200 res.

I love my low end kindle (replaced my Kindle3 with it) but I like that the nook has more typeface options.

Hoping Amazon adds more typefaces one day

/nitpicking

gcubed

apparently the new kindles are due soon because if you have an amazon card they are giving you 40% off of all current kindles and kindle accessories

code - kindle40 - must use amazon card

jayb

I just got my kindle touch a few months ago (which I absolutely love), but I'd consider upgrading if the new kindle had a higher resolution, and maybe a touch that also has page turn buttons.

I don't care too much about the front light.

Do I need to "Keep" every issue of my newspapers and magazines in order to come back to them later? Once they get purged from Kindle, can I re-redownload them using "My Kindle" menu on Amazon website?

I was referring to the fact that the lighted screen seems to be very fragile. Customers in the Nook forums at BN complain about the fact that once there is a "scratch" the screen shows a very bright spot that renders that area unsuitable for reading in the dark. And while some have been able to get replacements, others have had a hard time and waited too long for one. I would like a lighted Kindle, as I've had Kindle's since the first one came out, but I don't want something that is extremely fragile.

I would wait and get a 2nd generation Kindle with light installed. The best part of eInk? It doesn't tire your eyes, I think they will need some time to get it right.

i dont know how color e-ink would benefit kindle though. it doesnt have anything to showcase color besides the web browser. i guess color ads would sound good for advertisers.

E.g. Magazines can be offered in color, so I can finally make sense of the damn graphs in Forbes and the Economist.

bangai-o

Banned
E.g. Magazines can be offered in color, so I can finally make sense of the damn graphs in Forbes and the Economist.
after exploring the store a bit more extensively, i suppose the marketplace can take advantage of color.
if anyone here is into the naked ladies, go to the store and search "bollywood nudes". it is exactly what the title says. the photographer did really well with the lighting and it really shows how well e ink can look. just download the free sample and see what im talking about.
but do yourself a favor and avoid the other nudey books. they are awful.

I bought a book from my Kindle about two months ago but there was a problem with my cc. So the Kindle added two messages about it to my book list. I took care of the problem awhile ago and it doesn't go away and I can't see a way to delete these messages. It sucks because they stay anchored at the top of my book list. Any idea how to get rid of it.

NOTE: These messages aren't showing up in my book list when I manage my account online. Its just on the Kindle itself.

Cheebo

Banned
Can you read and sync iBooks on a kindle? Also can you put your own unlocked books on it?
iBooks uses the EPUB format (as does Barnes & Nobles Nook), the Kindle doesn't support EPUB's. Even with DRM removed.

You'd have to convert them with software such as Calibre into a Kindle supported format.

iBooks uses the EPUB format (as does Barnes & Nobles Nook), the Kindle doesn't support EPUB's. Even with DRM removed.

You'd have to convert them with software such as Calibre into a Kindle supported format.

Ah ok. But once converted you can put them on there no probs?

Somnid

When do new kindles usually come out?

There were rumors stuff would be announced end of July but it never happened. There were also murmurings that the backlit Kindles hit a technical problem and had to be delayed. So it looks like announcements will be around September when Amazon announced Kindles last year. The actual product could hit anytime between then an November.

Therion

I bought a book from my Kindle about two months ago but there was a problem with my cc. So the Kindle added two messages about it to my book list. I took care of the problem awhile ago and it doesn't go away and I can't see a way to delete these messages. It sucks because they stay anchored at the top of my book list. Any idea how to get rid of it.

NOTE: These messages aren't showing up in my book list when I manage my account online. Its just on the Kindle itself.

If it has a keyboard, I would think you can highlight the message and press either left or right to get to the delete option. That's a guess, but it would fit with the way other parts of the UI work.

With the keyboarded Kindles there are various commands possible with the keyboard, like taking a screenshot or viewing images in proper fullscreen. Are any of these possible in a different way on the keyboardless ones? A buddy is taking advantage of that 40% off deal and getting the most basic version.

jayb

With the keyboarded Kindles there are various commands possible with the keyboard, like taking a screenshot or viewing images in proper fullscreen. Are any of these possible in a different way on the keyboardless ones? A buddy is taking advantage of that 40% off deal and getting the most basic version.

There's some shortcuts listed here for the non-touch kindle 4: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152104

most of the commands on the Touch are just done with touch menus, swiping, etc. I think taking a screenshot on the Touch is done by holding the home button down for a few seconds and then touching the screen. Viewing images full screen is done by long pressing on them.

Can you guys recommend me some decent non-fiction books? I finished a book about anti-semitism on my iPad 3 today and I've never read a book that comfortably. Can't wait to educate myself even further.

edit: Eh not so sure if this was the right thread to choose...

Blackhead

Redarse
A general eReader thread is a good idea as long as is doesn't become a pissing match.
:/ I hope not, the eReader community really needs to band together against the threat from the much larger tablet ecosystem right now... I'll still link to the kindle and nook threads (can't hope to top the Kindle OP anyway) for anyone focused on specific ereader platforms.

Cheebo

Banned
:/ I hope not, the eReader community really needs to band together against the threat from the much larger tablet ecosystem right now... I'll still link to the kindle and nook threads (can't hope to top the Kindle OP anyway) for anyone focused on specific ereader platforms.

It doesn't help that Amazon and B&N seem far more focused on their tablet offerings than their e-ink readers as well. It's sad since I love e-ink but e-readers are really being pushed into a tiny niche. A lot of people find tablet/smart phone screens "good enough".

qwerty2k

Just got a Kindle for my birthday yesterday, have to sat it's AWESOME. Really easy on the eye and i actually find it easier to read than a normal book. The only problem i have is going on the kindle bookstore and buying ridiculous number of books lol.

Though my only issue is with the kindle bookstore. A lot of the top lists are just filled with utter dross just because it's cheap, are there more curated sources and lists to weed out the cruft?

jayb

Just got a Kindle for my birthday yesterday, have to sat it's AWESOME. Really easy on the eye and i actually find it easier to read than a normal book. The only problem i have is going on the kindle bookstore and buying ridiculous number of books lol.

Though my only issue is with the kindle bookstore. A lot of the top lists are just filled with utter dross just because it's cheap, are there more curated sources and lists to weed out the cruft?

Any decent book review site should help you. also, goodreads.com

Nook owner here, and I agree with you on that one... Before, when it was just Kindle and nook, I saw some contention such, but I saw it as more like playful jabs and not really straight-up macliciousness. I love my nook, and a couple of friends of mine love their Kindles, and honestly, we never even talk about the differences (though I feel like I can SNEEZE on the newest little Kindle and it will turn the page LOL)

But now that there are Kindle Fires and nook Colors, it makes me a little wary of the e-ink only e-readers; they're the reason I bought one in the first place! I don't want a freakin' tablet, I want an electronic book! E-ink is amazing; I just kinda wish that Amazon and B&N hadn't hopped on the tablet train so freakin' fast :(

... Sorry, this is kinda a sore point for me :\

Top Bottom