• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon Kindle |OT| of eInk superiority

qwerty2k

Thanks, just signed up to GoodReads, i liked the harry potter books and based on those books it keeps recommending me books in foreign language (possibly Hindi or something?), is there any way to limit it to recommending me books in english?

Edit:

Thank you very much Maklershed, very kind of you, i shall take a look.

Blackhead

Redarse
I went ahead and made
eReaders |OT| displays & devices perfected for our retinas
for general community discussion. Stop by and let me know if I should add anything to the OPs. In case anyone was wondering my current eReader of choice is the Kyobo ereader (on clearance sale in Korea for $87 or import for $$):

i0VfJONe9Uk8y.jpg

comparison pic from the-Digital-Reader:

LP8H0.jpg

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I went ahead and made
eReaders |OT| displays & devices perfected for our retinas
for general community discussion. Stop by and let me know if I should add anything to the OPs. In case anyone was wondering my current eReader of choice is the Kyobo ereader (on clearance sale in Korea for $87 or import for $$):

I think it's good idea. The Kindle OT was made when the Kindle started to displace all the junky early-gen eInk readers like the older Sonys; now that there's a vibrant, competitive ecosystem, it makes sense to focus on the whole eReader concept rather than any one brand.

Beez

Banned
I think it's good idea. The Kindle OT was made when the Kindle started to displace all the junky early-gen eInk readers like the older Sonys; now that there's a vibrant, competitive ecosystem, it makes sense to focus on the whole eReader concept rather than any one brand.

I dunno I like the separate Kindle only thread. Easier to find kindle specific news in it's own thread instead of a general e-ink thread. It would be like having 1 thread for all touch screen cellphones instead of separate threads for iPhone, Android etc. *shrugs*

Puddles

Banned
Just want to chime in and say that I used some Amazon coupon to get a refurbished wifi Kindle (not touch) for $49, and it was the best purchase ever.

I'm on a 3 month trip to Cambodia right now. Normally while traveling I'd be able to bring 1-2 books, and I might be able to trade for new ones at a hostel at some point. With the kindle, I pre-loaded it with about a hundred books, half of them completely free works of classic literature. And even with the case the thing takes up less space than a Goosebumps novel.

I cannot imagine traveling without a kindle anymore.

Scirrocco

So i'm thinking of buying a tablet, and i'm still deciding between the Nook and Kindle. Can anyone here answer a few questions to help me decide?

Has anyone used the Comixology app for Kindle? Are there any limitations to it? Is everything on Comixology available off the app?

Also, is there a list of apps that area available for kindle somewhere?

Do you ever find yourself running out of memory? The Nook's 16gb storage plus sd slot seems like a huge plus for it. I have a 16gb Ipod and that things almost full most of the time. But then i don't know how large book files usually are.

Zabka

So i'm thinking of buying a tablet, and i'm still deciding between the Nook and Kindle. Can anyone here answer a few questions to help me decide?

Has anyone used the Comixology app for Kindle? Are there any limitations to it? Is everything on Comixology available off the app?

Do you ever find yourself running out of memory? The Nook's 16gb storage plus sd slot seems like a huge plus for it. I have a 16gb Ipod and that things almost full most of the time. But then i don't know how large book files usually are.

If you're going for a tablet I'd recommend the Nexus 7 over both of those. Comics look pretty great on it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member

I use a Kindle Fire for my comics, and I can hold a pretty significant amount of comics on there - probably 75-100 of them.

Since getting my Fire last December, I've probably read about 1500 comics. It's been really good. I have those old DVD sets of Marvel comics that used to come out a ways back before Marvel realized how much of a crazy good deal they were and stopped making them - and it displays wonderfully using an app called "Comicat" - there is a price attached but it works so well I have 0 complaints.

For newer books many people use Comixology.

Scirrocco

If you're going for a tablet I'd recommend the Nexus 7 over both of those. Comics look pretty great on it.

Looking at it, its something to consider, i'll probably take a look at it, but i've started leaning towards the nook. I'm going to be traveling a lot, in places where wifi may not be that great or accessible, so storage will be important, and the nooks have the sd slot. Sadly the kindles 8gb won't cut it A nook color is $100 less then a nexus 7, and with more memory. I don't really need a full tablet, an upgraded e-reader would be fine. The nook also looks a bit sturdier.

O.DOGG

This is an excellent post. Thank you! Any way these could be added to the OP? I know it's not strictly kindle-related but I'd love to be able to go back and look through those links without having to hunt for them inside the thread.

sca2511

Looking at it, its something to consider, i'll probably take a look at it, but i've started leaning towards the nook. I'm going to be traveling a lot, in places where wifi may not be that great or accessible, so storage will be important, and the nooks have the sd slot. Sadly the kindles 8gb won't cut it A nook color is $100 less then a nexus 7, and with more memory. I don't really need a full tablet, an upgraded e-reader would be fine. The nook also looks a bit sturdier.

I have a Nook Color and it's decent, albiet a little slow and not smooth. If you need the external SD card feature, the Nook Tablet would be a good. Though for comics, I'd think you'd have to tinker with the Nook Tablet to get Comixology. I use a Nexus 7 now and it's much better when compared to my Nook Color in terms of speed and clarity. You won't be worried about the space if mainly using it for comics.

Just want to chime in and say that I used some Amazon coupon to get a refurbished wifi Kindle (not touch) for $49, and it was the best purchase ever.

I'm on a 3 month trip to Cambodia right now. Normally while traveling I'd be able to bring 1-2 books, and I might be able to trade for new ones at a hostel at some point. With the kindle, I pre-loaded it with about a hundred books, half of them completely free works of classic literature. And even with the case the thing takes up less space than a Goosebumps novel.

I cannot imagine traveling without a kindle anymore.

Welcome to the party, pal.

This is an excellent post. Thank you! Any way these could be added to the OP? I know it's not strictly kindle-related but I'd love to be able to go back and look through those links without having to hunt for them inside the thread.

I keep this ever growing list in the OP of the "What are you reading?" threads if you ever want to find the updated version of it.

Idk if this has been answered but I put a few PDFs on this kindle (non fire). Its worked out great except for this one book. Whenever I try to read it, they're just blank pages. What gives?

Also, after reading a bit...consider me an E-Reader convert. I usually like material things (I still buy CDs and vinyl) but this is just so lightweight and easy to use. It sort of helps with my constant fidgeting whenever I'm on the internet (switching tabs before I finish reading things).

With the Kindle its just reading. Nothing to distract you, no popups, just you and that book.

Plasmid

Okay so i have some extra $ and i'm really thinking about buying a kindle. I can spend a few $ with my textbooks this year and i was thinking of a $79 or should i buy the $99 one?

Ecto311

Okay so i have some extra $ and i'm really thinking about buying a kindle. I can spend a few $ with my textbooks this year and i was thinking of a $79 or should i buy the $99 one?

I got the $79 and really like it. The ads are not a big deal.

WowBaby

I'd go for the $99 Kindle Touch. The touch screen makes a BIG difference. The directional pad on the $79 Kindle gets tiresome. I had one and returned it.

It's that time of year again.

This should be the FCC paperwork for the Fire 2:
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...rame=N&application_id=289448&fcc_id='YJM-0725'

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...rame=N&application_id=761343&fcc_id='YJM-0725'

I don't really know what's going on here. They have two different LLCs assigned the same FCC ID, so it may be just one device or two separate ones. I'd guess one device, two sizes.

New Ereader:
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...rame=N&application_id=478333&fcc_id='A8Z-2690'

Beez

Banned
It's that time of year again.

This should be the FCC paperwork for the Fire 2:
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...rame=N&application_id=289448&fcc_id='YJM-0725'

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...rame=N&application_id=761343&fcc_id='YJM-0725'

I don't really know what's going on here. They have two different LLCs assigned the same FCC ID, so it may be just one device or two separate ones. I'd guess one device, two sizes.

New Ereader:
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...rame=N&application_id=478333&fcc_id='A8Z-2690'

How soon after they have those FCC things are the new products available? How do you know this is Amazon stuff? So confusing on those links. *shrugs*

AndyD

aka andydumi
Only a frontlight for the Kindle I imagine. I wish they added several more fonts and perhaps an easy way to generate and use a screen saver. Personalize it when its off type thing. I have had several people ask me how to do it when they see my ad supported one with cool images.

pj

Banned
Is there any reason to hack a kindle touch? A quick look on google didn't turn up anything of much interest other than getting rid of the ads.

jayb

Is there any reason to hack a kindle touch? A quick look on google didn't turn up anything of much interest other than getting rid of the ads.
I haven't yet, but custom fonts and screen savers seem to be the most common reasons.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
Man, I hope it's good. I've been planning on getting an e-reader later this year.

I don't know how much better they can get. I can nit-pick and ask for faster page turns, but apart from color e-ink (the tech is still far-off) to better read The Economist and such, I can't really complain. What are some realistic things that I'm missing?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I don't know how much better they can get. I can nit-pick and ask for faster page turns, but apart from color e-ink (the tech is still far-off) to better read The Economist and such, I can't really complain. What are some realistic things that I'm missing?

I don't know. I'm not very familiar with e-readers. Maybe an improved screen?

So pretty sure I'll be getting one of these come Christmas. Hadn't ever picked one up before I borrowed my brother in law's on vacation. Wow. The eInk display is pretty damn impressive. As an English student this should come in handy.

Husker86

Built in lighting. The uneven light from the cases with built in light has annoyed me on my current Kindle touch and the Kindle before that.

jayb

even as how good the current e-ink screen is, I'd still like to see a resolution and contrast-ratio improvement.

even as how good the current e-ink screen is, I'd still like to see a resolution and contrast-ratio improvement.

I'm fine with the current contrast, but a bump in resolution would be really nice. It doesn't look bad by any means, but it'd be nice if it looked closer to text on the new iPad. It would definitely bring it closer to really looking like a printed page.

I'm not sure how realistic it is to hope for that (I'm guessing they'll just throw in a light like the Nook and call it a day) but the new model has been a long time coming, and it'd make it seem like the wait was spent improving it more.

I was thinking of doing it for the custom screensaver and to lose ads. Anyone here tried it?

i've had a kindle 3 (kindle keyboard) for about a year, doesn't have any ad support but I did a jailbreak within a few days of owning it after seeing this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428462

it's pretty nice. the wallpapers look really good on the screen. it just seems like a feature that should have been there all along, i couldn't believe there wasn't an option for it already built in when i bought it.

i've had a kindle 3 (kindle keyboard) for about a year, doesn't have any ad support but I did a jailbreak within a few days of owning it after seeing this thread:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428462

it's pretty nice. the wallpapers look really good on the screen. it just seems like a feature that should have been there all along, i couldn't believe there wasn't an option for it already built in when i bought it.

Thanks for posting!

bangai-o

Banned
touch and drag pdf docs would be nice. also a simple word document application that allows users to send the doc to the cloud and continue later on a pc. but i guess that would mean amazon releasing a cloud office suit.
yes pls

The improvement I'd like to see in the next e-ink kindle is higher contrast. I'll be pretty disappointed if the E Ink Corporation hasn't made any progress in the two years since the pearl screen was introduced.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Whatever it is, I want it to have physical page-turn buttons. It feels wrong that the low-end Kindle was the more appealing one in terms of usability.

They must have heard this feedback a lot? Physical turn buttons and a built in light and I'll upgrade from my kindle 3? Availability outside of the US quickly would be nice. We haven't had the touch that long

I'd really love a screen the same size as a standard paperback, but I don't expect any major change in the screen

The improvement I'd like to see in the next e-ink kindle is higher contrast. I'll be pretty disappointed if the E Ink Corporation hasn't made any progress in the two years since the pearl screen was introduced.

They haven't announced any contrast improvements in their tech. They are focusing on flexible, plastic displays, higher resolutions, and color. About a year and a half ago E-ink & Epson announced a 300 ppi screen. I don't think anything has entered the market with that tech though. I just watched a video with e-ink Exec Sriram Peruvemba casually mentioning they want to improve color on e-ink.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I feel that contrast level is good enough that they should focus on other improvements before tackling that. Resolution and perhaps color would be my two biggest advance desires.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I feel that contrast level is good enough that they should focus on other improvements before tackling that. Resolution and perhaps color would be my two biggest advance desires.

I have to agree with you. Focusing on the resolution is a much better idea at this stage. I don't know how much of a priority this is for the company, however.

Top Bottom