• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD AI Apu is 2X the price of last gen

peish

AMD is selling Strix Point APUs to companies like GPD for twice the price of Hawk Point (Ryzen 7 8840U). This forces companies like GPD to reconsider whether their product can maintain enough margin for a successful launch.

There you go, PS5 Pro got injustica

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
Making new chips is too expensive now. You better invest all your savings into Intel and hope they come back and offer alternative to tsmc
I'm waiting for the news of the Chinese flooding the world with cheap chips. Just like they did with Solar Panels and electric cars.

Euler007

TSMC is seeing record demand and most improvements right now boil down to buying more transistors (increased CU, etc). The days of process and design improvements making things twice as fast and twice as cheap are dead. It was a hell of a ride from my first 8086, remember when my friend got a 386 and I was blown away.

Now it's more for more money.

Dural

It's built on a different node and is a larger APU (178mm vs 232.5mm), not really a like for like comparison.

Anyone know how much TSMC really has increased their prices? It gets thrown around a lot but I haven't seen any real evidence.

El Muerto

Gold Member

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Cost will likely come down soon. TSMC now has a plant in Arizona thanks to the CHIPS act, with more fabs on the way. They are currently making Apple's A16 chip using a 5nm process.

HOORAY for the CHIPS act!

diffusionx

Gold Member
season 3 lottery winner GIF

Last edited:

Dural

Kataploom

Gold Member
I think we have to wait to see how powerful they are for gaming, for most people they could be an amazing entry point or even normal gaming option, considering it simplifies PC gaming

Top Bottom