• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

Kayant

So what is the main difference between 1700x and 1900x other than the later has more PCI-E lanes?
Better ECC ram support?Yes. Better binned chip likely like that other TR parts so more likely to hit 4Ghz on all cores maybe even more.
Up to 1TB Ram if you have the 128GB dimms for it 😁

nubbe

I would get a new cooler right away that cover the CPU properly instead of using that old crap with the mounting device that is included in the box.

699wCMhl.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpvGYxaMLc0

Chris R

I would get a new cooler right away that cover the CPU properly instead of using that old crap with the mounting device that is included in the box.

699wCMhl.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpvGYxaMLc0

If you watch the video he explains that the cooler does seem to cover the actual CPU dies under the IHS, just barely but it does. I had to go look it up because I kept seeing shots just like this one with barely any thermal grease on the chip lol

The second hand value will be insane on those if they do. Insane for a damn screwdriver alternative, anyway.

I get why they're doing it. It's a massive chip and it's LGA. You turn them too tight you're liable to straight up bend the pins. The mechanical advantage that the force from the corners is going have is going to be insane given its sheer size. But I'm not sure why they didn't just go with springs around regular screws.

nubbe

If you watch the video he explains that the cooler does seem to cover the actual CPU dies under the IHS, just barely but it does. I had to go look it up because I kept seeing shots just like this one with barely any thermal grease on the chip lol

So you would spend 1k on a system and then use a legacy cooler that dosent even cover the IHS to save €80?

kotodama

That GamerNexus one looks initially shocking, but it seems that while sub-optimal it should work. Whelp, I might be eventually returning a cooler if it doesn't and getting something that does. Noctua can't release their TR4 coolers soon enough.

That HardOCP install video were Kyle bent the LGA pins is kind of freaky. I've worked with Intel LGA stuff before, but that's always a worry.

Chris R

So you would spend 1k on a system and then use a legacy cooler that dosent even cover the IHS to save €80?

I wouldn't, but if people have expensive watercooling setups they are running already it's good to know that it should be ok.

But I guess wait to see what the temps really look like when the NDA period is over.

EKWB Socket TR4/SP3 adapter for Threadripper/Epyc.

This would be the first I've seen of it.

The cooler is their now discontinued Predator in 140mm guise, though it uses a standard Supremacy EVO waterblock, instead of the "bolted" version found on most Predators.

EK-XLC Predator 140
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xlc-predator-140

Switchtech announced TR4 compatibility with their Apogee SKF, though didn't released installed photos at the time: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=243948921&postcount=3584

Alphacool's TR4 kit can be seen here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=244732872&postcount=3723

kami_sama

God damn, that is one complicated mounting mechanism.
Although it is very easy for the end user, no way of fucking up the installation.

To be honest it does rather feel like the included bracket with TR is mainly a stopgap measure so that high end users - people that are more likely to use an AIO or other watercooling solution I'd say - can get straight into the new CPU without having to potentially wait on additional parts.

But hey, suppose viewers can get a good number of vids examining thermals via different mounting types.

Renekton

Some new gaming benchmarks between the 1700 and 7700k.

7700k still is pretty decisively king for pure gaming based on these results at 1080p, 1440p, or 4K. But, it isn't a crippling disadvantage for Ryzen IMO.
They always test the extreme ends - either streaming or pure clean gaming.

I'm wondering about having regular apps running while gaming... like Spotify, many Chrome tabs, various game clients, voice chat, Excel, W10 svchost shenanigans, etc

Some new gaming benchmarks between the 1700 and 7700k.

7700k still is pretty decisively king for pure gaming based on these results at 1080p, 1440p, or 4K. But, it isn't a crippling disadvantage for Ryzen IMO.

This is why the KBL vs Ryzen is so frustrating for me. I am this video. I'm a 1440p 144Hz setup and the deltas are just not encouraging. That 4.9GHz CPU clock on the 7700K is just ridiculous. I don't stream gameplay and all my other stuff like watching Twitch on a second monitor is all hardware accelerated so it's barely a blip in CPU time. I'm thankful that CFL is going to be 6C/12T because that's probably going to make the choice much easier, fingers crossed. Who knows, I might read the Threadripper benchmarks and go for the 1900X if the boards are good enough quality. I expect having so many PCI-E lanes to spare you could get some killer NVMe RAID happening.

LinusTechTips - Alienware Area-51 THREADRIPPER EDITION

Linus and co were allowed to review the Alienware unit they got sent for LTX prior to formal embargo lifting on Threadripper proper.
·feist·;244828863 said:

HotHardware [YouTube] —— Threadripper Emergency CPU Transplant! Alienware Area 51 Threadripper Edition

We tear down the Alienware Area-51 Threadripper Edition and give it an AMD Threadripper 1950X transplant with a new retail chip for MOAR POWAH! And all that geek stuff. Enjoy! :)

kotodama

Da fuq? A single 120mm radiator?!? For Threadripper?!?

I've seen prebuild companies do some really dumb shit in my time but that takes the cake.

That is chintzy as heck, but I guess not bad for a 120mm radiator on a 16 core cpu, which isn't covering the processor fully (or is it?). 240mm+ should be pretty decent.

Nokterian

In other words, don't by a machine like that. Just one 120mm cooler is just not gonna do it. Also the memory, guess they didn't know it is fixed?

Would be better to assemble your own pc than buy that garbage.

Ryzen Mobile

Notebookcheck —— Confirmed: Lenovo's AMD ThinkPads A275 and A475 are based on the X270 and T470

http://productspec.ul.com/canada/document.php?id=NWGQ7.E200693

When the model-names A275 and A475 surfaced a few weeks ago, it was mere speculation. Now we have the confirmation: These two models are based on the enterprise ThinkPads of the T-Series and X-Series.
As a reminder: The two new models are called A275 and A475. There hasn´t been a ThinkPad A-Series in recent years. Long ago, there was a Thinkpad A-Series, but those were the workstations models (such as the ThinkPad A31p). These days, the ThinkPad workstation line is the P-Series, so its safe to assume these new A-Series ThinkPads are not long the IBM ThinkPad A-Series of the old times. This opens the room for the speculation that these new models will be use AMD-CPUs, which would fit with the name A-Series. Also, the ending with the number five was traditionally reserved for AMD ThinkPads (such as the ThinkPad E555).
Notebookcheck has published a special report about the low quality of many laptops with AMD-processors. For AMD, its a very good sign if Lenovo is indeed going to release two of the most popular enterprise-focused ThinkPads with AMD-CPUs. Especially the A475 could be a good addition for AMD, as its Intel brother T470 is one of the highest rated business-laptops in our current ranking.

Newegg Studios [YouTube] —— Introducing: Aorus X399 Gaming 7 + AMD Threadripper

shitty cooler for a 5K system
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGaxUcfUwAAkrNp.jpg:large

3x0

Neo Member
So uh, what's going on here? Apparently people are now able to reproduce a problem where Ryzen falls over under heavy workloads due to segmentation faults.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Ryzen-Test-Stress-Run
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ryzen-segv-continues&num=1

Stuff like this happens. Skylake/Kabylake also have a similar HyperThreading bug that was addressed recently (but not pushed out by all MoBo manufacturers).

Paragon

Stuff like this happens. Skylake/Kabylake also have a similar HyperThreading bug that was addressed recently (but not pushed out by all MoBo manufacturers).
There seem to be a couple of different issues being brought up.
Some of the tests seem to be generating segfaults on other platforms too, so it's looking like it's not a Ryzen-specific issue.
I'd expect microcode updates to be released if there is anything Ryzen-specific which needs to be addressed though.
As 3x0 says, it's probably not something to be concerned about. CPUs often have big lists of errata. There are currently 102 on the 7th Generation Intel® Processor Family Specification Update for example.

thelastword

Banned
Pairing Threadripper with 2666Mhz memory is a travesty when it can do 4000Mhz Memory......I mean, if your'e going to purchase such a beastly machine, you have to go all out and get the best parts for best performance....

Pairing Threadripper with 2666Mhz memory is a travesty when it can do 4000Mhz Memory......I mean, if your'e going to purchase such a beastly machine, you have to go all out and get the best parts for best performance....

I need to get a 1950X, then pair it with a GT710 and 4 GB of DDR4 1600 MHz. See what kind of benchmarks we can pull off if you just fuck it all up.

This is something I have been dealing with for awhile now, I downloaded the Ryzen power plan for my Windows 10 PC but those settings never stay. I tried to edit it, I used the troubleshoot guide and set it to default but no matter what it never stays on Ryzen balanced when I reboot my PC.

New benchmark video from Digital Foundry comparring the R5 1600 and 1600x to the i5 7600k : https://youtu.be/4RMbYe4X2LI

The 7600k still wins on single core performance, and can be overclocked to 4.8ghz. So in some cases it can achieve higher framerates in games. But the 1600 and 1600x handle themselves better under scenes that require heavier workloads, and just demolish the 7600k in multi threaded performance and showcase supperior frametimes. Also shows what a good bargain the 1600 is, expecially with the stock cooler that is included with it.

I've noticed that no matter what recording software I use, my Ryzen 1700 eats it all for breakfast. I've played with Shadowplay, OBS, Fraps, and DXStory and none of them have any negative impact on my in-game FPS as far as I can tell. Something beautiful about having so many extra cores just sitting around waiting for work.

Shin

Banned
It's a good video review, best of all though as to why I would choose a Ryzen is the mainboard switch that Intel keeps forcing, it's freakin' annoying as hell.
Not to mention the cost associated with it, in that sense you're good with Ryzen till Zen 3 (2019 and little beyond).
The money saved there can go to faster and/or more RAM or a beefier GPU that itself would probably give a better boost than Intel.

This is the first time I've ever considered an AMD CPU, stutter is a big issue for me and it looks like Ryzen 5 cleans that up nicely in most games.

Yeah, the lack of frame stutter in Rise of the Tomb Raider, AC Unity and FC3 really is a good selling point. Those 6 cores and 12 threads make a big difference in cases like this.

horkrux

Digital Foundry videos are so good. They are unmatched at getting all of the info you want in a deep review into video form.

getting kind of sick of the benchmarked games tho

good for easy comparisons to previous tests, but I'm craving for an update

It's a good video review, best of all though as to why I would choose a Ryzen is the mainboard switch that Intel keeps forcing, it's freakin' annoying as hell.
Not to mention the cost associated with it, in that sense you're good with Ryzen till Zen 3 (2019 and little beyond).
The money saved there can go to faster and/or more RAM or a beefier GPU that itself would probably give a better boost than Intel.

I've got a Ryzen build I'm about to put together, but I was doing just fine with my old 3570k build. I almost wonder if I should have waited to see how Coffee Lake performs since I have to buy a new motherboard either way and will keep the same computer for 5 years or so. Oh well. It will be interesting to see how things turn out over the next 12 months.

Top Bottom