• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

jrcbandit

I've got a Ryzen build I'm about to put together, but I was doing just fine with my old 3570k build. I almost wonder if I should have waited to see how Coffee Lake performs since I have to buy a new motherboard either way and will keep the same computer for 5 years or so. Oh well. It will be interesting to see how things turn out over the next 12 months.

One thing to consider is that Intel dumps sockets all the time, AM4 motherboard you are good until at least 2020. I got a Ryzen 1700X and I'll probably replace it with a Zen 2 or 3 processor.

Wozzer

I just purchased the following memory kit; G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR

2MFV9sC.png

Looking to pair it with the ASUS ROG Strix X370-F. According to the QVL for the board the RAM isn't specifically listed, but close comparisons are.

8Odcz2w.png

Hoping I'll get away with being able to run at least 3000mhz, and across the four sticks (4x8gb). Anyone had any experience of combining the mobo/ram, or the ram in general with Ryzen builds?

longdi

Banned
One thing to consider is that Intel dumps sockets all the time, AM4 motherboard you are good until at least 2020. I got a Ryzen 1700X and I'll probably replace it with a Zen 2 or 3 processor.

Provided you got a high end one with good power delivery and your board maker bothers to update the bios..

gt86

I just purchased the following memory kit; G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR

2MFV9sC.png

Looking to pair it with the ASUS ROG Strix X370-F. According to the QVL for the board the RAM isn't specifically listed, but close comparisons are.

8Odcz2w.png

Hoping I'll get away with being able to run at least 3000mhz, and across the four sticks (4x8gb). Anyone had any experience of combining the mobo/ram, or the ram in general with Ryzen builds?

Return them while you still can. The spd will be corrupted and you will be doing aggravating rmas with gskill

gt86

Oh boy I don't know what you said but it doesn't sound good. Is it guaranteed?

Just trying to save you the headache! I had this issue, now I'm using corsiar vengeance rgb with no issues. Just search for the issue on Google. What makes it worse is gskill blames everyone else but themselves.

Yeah, but motherboards improve along with CPUs so I'm not sure if I would even want to use the same motherboard in 2020 if I were to buy a new cpu. The board I bought recently was only $100 after a discount. That's why I'm okay with just rolling with the same stuff for 4-5 years. By that time, I'm fine with buying a whole new architecture.

Matthew23

I've got a Ryzen build I'm about to put together, but I was doing just fine with my old 3570k build. I almost wonder if I should have waited to see how Coffee Lake performs since I have to buy a new motherboard either way and will keep the same computer for 5 years or so. Oh well. It will be interesting to see how things turn out over the next 12 months.

This is where I'm at (still need a few parts for my 1600x build to ship). I had been waiting on Coffee Lake for a while but when I started pricing out a Ryzen build with an $89 Rog Strix b350 MB I finally caved. I'd been wanting to upgrade my 2500k for a long time so that helped too.

The way I see it is even if the 8700k turns out to have better gaming performance than the 7800x, surpasses a 7700k, and OCs like a champ, there will still be Zen 2/3 so I can sell off my 1600x and upgrade down the line with little cost/effort. I'll save money today and "maybe" spend a little more tomorrow. If I had a gsync monitor Intel would have looked better, but 60 FPS isn't going to be a problem any time soon. And as far as VR goes, my 2500k hasn't had any trouble with Oculus games yet so Ryzen should be overkill for a while.

Return them while you still can. The spd will be corrupted and you will be doing aggravating rmas with gskill

Not true, as long as you don't use both gskill and aura software at the same time, you are fine.
I have the exact ram, but 16gb, with an Asus b350, and I am able to achieve 3066 with docp profiles with zero tweaking. I literally just select the speed and works.

You should not use gskill software with Asus aura since it can screw up the ramp, but I only use Asus and my ram and lighting control works fine

d903c0c32dfa1a2c3440ad9b1adc4f3e.jpg

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Come on, I've just linked it to a friend, and the picture is gone :D

I can't find the source! I thought it was a recent Linus video but that was a different graph people are using to shitpost with.

BUT HERE YOU GO!

tMcJo6U.png

gt86

Not true, as long as you don't use both gskill and aura software at the same time, you are fine.
I have the exact ram, but 16gb, with an Asus b350, and I am able to achieve 3066 with docp profiles with zero tweaking. I literally just select the speed and works.

You should not use gskill software with Asus aura since it can screw up the ramp, but I only use Asus and my ram and lighting control works fine

d903c0c32dfa1a2c3440ad9b1adc4f3e.jpg

I had it fail on 2 motherboards, gigabyte x370 aorus gaming k5 and asrock

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah, but motherboards improve along with CPUs so I'm not sure if I would even want to use the same motherboard in 2020 if I were to buy a new cpu. The board I bought recently was only $100 after a discount. That's why I'm okay with just rolling with the same stuff for 4-5 years. By that time, I'm fine with buying a whole new architecture.
True, but that does allow you to upgrade in pieces.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Ultimate question:

I am actually looking to upgrade to a better motherboard from my Asrock B350 Pro 4.

It's a nice board but too minimalistic.

I also want to shrink my PC case to a Micro ATX.

In short, I want to know if there is a mobo memory @3200 combination that is gauranteed to work?

Datschge

Is there someone who knows if GPU passtrough problem was fix lately?
I read later AGESA versions fixed this indeed, but have no way to test it (you need two cards as one can't be shared between host and guest, and Nvidia blocks the feature in its consumer cards at the driver level).

danyboypremier

Neo Member
I read later AGESA versions fixed this indeed, but have no way to test it (you need two cards as one can't be shared between host and guest, and Nvidia blocks the feature in its consumer cards at the driver level).

I know how it works, but I didn't know that the last AGESA fixed it. Maybe that's the last push I needed to pull the trigger.

edit : It seems to have problem with KVM but not XEN

popo

Ultimate question:

I am actually looking to upgrade to a better motherboard from my Asrock B350 Pro 4.

It's a nice board but too minimalistic.

I also want to shrink my PC case to a Micro ATX.

In short, I want to know if there is a mobo memory @3200 combination that is gauranteed to work?

what features are you looking for that the current mb lacks? just out of interest.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
what features are you looking for that the current mb lacks? just out of interest.

The ability to ualter my CPUSoC voltage. The Asrock B350 doesn't have that option.

Plus, my understanding is that the X370 boards are better built and supported.

I. am. SO. HYPE!!!

I finally pulled the plug.... this is like a dream come true. I had to downsize the vision but I still landed on a 1500X and I think its gonna be great.

Top Processor Multi-Core Efficiency Ranks - SiSoftware Official Live Ranker
http://ranker.sisoftware.net/top_ru...f4c9f8deb68bbe98e0ddeccaafcaf7c7e192af9f&l=en

HardOCP TV [YouTube] —— AMD Ryzen Threadripper DIY Water Block Mount Test

HardOCP TV [YouTube] —— Test Mount #2 AMD Ryzen Threadripper DIY Water Block Mount

HardOCP TV [YouTube] —— AMD Threadripper TIM Install from AMD

Bykski CPU Waterbocks for Threadripper (socket TR4) and Epyc (socket SP3)
http://www.hwbattle.com/bbs/board.php?bo_table=news&wr_id=89432&ckattempt=1
https://world.taobao.com/item/55650...1z10.5-c-s.w4002-15675536719.51.9d666560l3mE5
https://videocardz.com/newz/bykski-showcases-first-waterblock-for-ryzen-threadripper

BYKSKI, Chinese liquid-cooling equipment manufacturer has first water blocks for Threadripper. They come in four variants:

• Red
  • Silver
  • Red + RGB lighting
  • Silver + RGB lighting
The blocks without the RGB lighting are available for around 58 USD (388 CNY), while the RGB-supported blocks are available for 63 USD (428 CNY). Threadripper water blocks are currently only listed in China.

BYKSKI water blocks are often cheaper than more popular brands. You can find them at Taobao, Aliexpress and Amazon

FireCloud

I recently built a new Ryzen 7 1700 system.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=244159948&postcount=3604

I had been just using the stock speed for a couple of weeks and things were going pretty good. I noticed in Windows 10 task manager the CPU speed would fluctuate in what I assume was a way to reduce power consumption when the CPU wasn't under load.

Today I ran the ASUS auto tuner application and it increased my CPU speed from 3.0 GHz to 3.65 GHz. Nice little bump I thought. However, I notice now that under the task manager the CPU speed no longer fluctuates. It pretty much stays at 3.64 GHz.

Is this normal once you overclock a CPU for it to stay at one speed? Is that a problem?

Also, my motherboard (ASUS Prime B350 Plus) came with a slightly older BIOS date back to 5/2017. I had just been running with that BIOS as it seemed to be working and at the time I didn't want to risk trying to apply a BIOS update it risk it failing.

I have some 64GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 2400 DDR4 (4x16) memory that I had been running at 2400 using DOCP. I had tried to push up the memory speed but kept running into stability issues. I could get 2666 if I pushed the voltage up to 1.35V but I wasn't comfortable doing that so I went back to 2400 @ 1.2V.

Well, I finally updated my BIOS to the latest on the ASUS site and decided to retry increasing the memory speed. This time I was able to increase it to 2666 and am now running at 2800 (so far without issue). This time I didn't have to touch the memory voltage and am still running at 1.2V.

Is that normal? Can a BIOS update make that much of a difference in memory stability or am I doing something wrong and somehow fooling myself that I'm getting a boost at the same voltage without changing any timings just the memory speed?

(Edit: Tried to bump up the RAM to 2933....and there be dragons!....failed to boot into windows....prompted me to reload BIOS from USB....managed to get back into the BIOS and reload optimized defaults...3.0GHz for CPU and 2133 for memory....first time I had ever seen that BIOS reload prompt....normally takes me to an American Megatrends BIOS screen prompting to press F1 to reset BIOS after detecting failed overclocking....anyway, think I'll run with 3.65 GHz and 2800 for the memory for a while)

Datschge

Is this normal once you overclock a CPU for it to stay at one speed?
Yes, overclocking on the current Ryzen generation disables turbo and XFR so you are essentially permanently putting the chip into a custom all core turbo state.

Can a BIOS update make that much of a difference in memory stability or am I doing something wrong and somehow fooling myself that I'm getting a boost at the same voltage without changing any timings just the memory speed?
Yes, memory compatibility was a major focus of the last couple AGESA updates (which is part of BIOS updates) so yes, you updating an outdated BIOS should see an effect on memory stability.

Yes, overclocking on the current Ryzen generation disables turbo and XFR so you are essentially permanently putting the chip into a custom all core turbo state.
That's only true for even multipliers. Set the clock to an uneven multi (36.25 for example) and the CPU will lower voltage and clock rate in idle. At least this is the case on my GA-AB350M Gaming 3, tested multiple times.

Today I ran the ASUS auto tuner application and it increased my CPU speed from 3.0 GHz to 3.65 GHz. Nice little bump I thought. However, I notice now that under the task manager the CPU speed no longer fluctuates. It pretty much stays at 3.64 GHz.

Is this normal once you overclock a CPU for it to stay at one speed? Is that a problem?

It's not a problem. It maybe normal for the Asus software to do that, however it should be possible to get the CPU to still downclock when applying the settings in BIOS. Keep in mind: once you overclock your CPU in the UEFI, the UEFI deactives CnQ (cool and quiet is the setting that lets your CPU run at different clock speeds), but you can simply reactive it.
I use a Ryzen 5 1600, OCed it to 3.6 Ghz (not much yet, but it's just fine right now) and it still clocks down to various other clock speeds with 1.4 Ghz being the lowest.

As datschge said the memory thing is perfectly normal.

Datschge

That's only true for even multipliers. Set the clock to an uneven multi (36.25 for example) and the CPU will lower voltage and clock rate in idle. At least this is the case on my GA-AB350M Gaming 3, tested multiple times.
P-states downclocking for idle behavior should be still separate and active even when overclocking. The behavior you describe isn't normal.

It activates the P-states. Those are lower frequencies for use when the CPU is idling, allowing it to save power and reduce heat.

I need to get on this ASAP. I thought I read that "Cool N Quiet" is disabled when overclocking on MSI boards, meaning you couldn't use it at all... not that you could re-enable it. I'll need to read-up on P-state overclocking. Any guides that someone could recommend? Bonus points if it's for an MSI B350M AM4 board.

I already know the voltage needed for a stable overclock at 100% load at a 3.7 GHz overclock for my Ryzen 1700. Seems like I'd just need to figure out what's stable at lower clocks/P-states.

I need to get on this ASAP. I thought I read that "Cool N Quiet" is disabled when overclocking on MSI boards, meaning you couldn't use it at all... not that you could re-enable it. I'll need to read-up on P-state overclocking. Any guides that someone could recommend? Bonus points if it's for an MSI B350M AM4 board.

I already know the voltage needed for a stable overclock at 100% load at a 3.7 GHz overclock for my Ryzen 1700. Seems like I'd just need to figure out what's stable at lower clocks/P-states.

MSI AM4 boards are a little stupid in terms of voltage unfortunately. They only have manual or auto voltages, so you can't tweak anything in terms of voltages anyway (no offset mode). I'm on manual mode, which means my voltage always stays at the voltage I need to have for the 1600 to be stable at its max. clock speed (~1.2v for me at 3.6 Ghz). The P-states definitely work (in terms of clock speed) on my MSI PC Mate.
Rechecked HWInfo and the lowest clock I've on my cores is actually ~900 Mhz with CnQ enabled. Keep in mind CnQ gets automatically disabled once you change anything in terms of your clock speed, but you can simply go to the respective menu in UEFI and reactivate it (no need to save the OC settings before and return to UEFI).

FireCloud

It's not a problem. It maybe normal for the Asus software to do that, however it should be possible to get the CPU to still downclock when applying the settings in BIOS. Keep in mind: once you overclock your CPU in the UEFI, the UEFI deactives CnQ (cool and quiet is the setting that lets your CPU run at different clock speeds), but you can simply reactive it.
I use a Ryzen 5 1600, OCed it to 3.6 Ghz (not much yet, but it's just fine right now) and it still clocks down to various other clock speeds with 1.4 Ghz being the lowest.

As datschge said the memory thing is perfectly normal.

I've looked in my ASUS UEFI BIOS settings and I can't seem to find how to re-enable CnQ. I don't see that or "Cool and Quiet" anywhere.

Does anyone with an ASUS B350 board know where that setting lives in the BIOS?

I reloaded optimized defaults for the board (3.0 GHz and 2133 memory speed) and looked around and still don't see it. I was thinking maybe the setting somehow got disabled. But I don't see it even when not overclocked.

MSI AM4 boards are a little stupid in terms of voltage unfortunately. They only have manual or auto voltages, so you can't tweak anything in terms of voltages anyway (no offset mode). I'm on manual mode, which means my voltage always stays at the voltage I need to have for the 1600 to be stable at its max. clock speed (~1.2v for me at 3.6 Ghz). The P-states definitely work (in terms of clock speed) on my MSI PC Mate.
Rechecked HWInfo and the lowest clock I've on my cores is actually ~900 Mhz with CnQ enabled. Keep in mind CnQ gets automatically disabled once you change anything in terms of your clock speed, but you can simply go to the respective menu in UEFI and reactivate it (no need to save the OC settings before and return to UEFI).

So for MSI AM4 boards, all CnQ will do is lower the clock speed, but the voltage will still be a constant ~1.2V (in your case)? Does that actually have any benefit then at all? Sorry, not sure I'm totally following this.

SpotAnime

Okay, I'm taking the Ryzen plunge. Just ordered the following components:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KQ3xBP

Ryzen 7 1700x
Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 140.2 CFM CPU Cooler
ASRock X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W PSU
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000

And I'm paring this with my current R9 390 and SSD/HDs in a HAF 932. It's my first CPU/MB revision since I built my i7 950 and P6X58D way back...in 2010!

And with rebates, got the price down to $850 for the new components.

What do you all think? Good build?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Okay, I'm taking the Ryzen plunge. Just ordered the following components:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KQ3xBP

Ryzen 7 1700x
Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 140.2 CFM CPU Cooler
ASRock X370 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W PSU
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000

And I'm paring this with my current R9 390 and SSD/HDs in a HAF 932. It's my first CPU/MB revision since I built my i7 950 and P6X58D way back...in 2010!

And with rebates, got the price down to $850 for the new components.

What do you all think? Good build?

Its a good build, BUT may I recommend saving some money and going with the 1700, as well as a cheaper X370 motherboard and put the money saved towards a better GPU? Not to mention that the 1700 comes with it's own cooler, which is just as good as the one you are paying $89.90 for. Everything I have read is that the 1700 can almost always be overclocked to reach 1800X speeds.

Going from Ryzen 1700x to 1700 immediately saves you $80
Going from Taichi to the GIGABYTE GA-AX370-Gaming will save you another $60
Not having the CPU cooler will save you $90

That's $230 worth of savings right there.

I would personally never EVER pay anywhere close to that much for an air cooler and just get a water cooler instead.

Top Bottom