• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods |OT| You Had Me At Bryan Fuller - Sundays on Starz

jett

D-Member
This is definitely the trippiest show I've watched on TV.

This is almost the most dicks I've watched on TV.

Polarburr

Quick question.

How come Ep 3 isn't showing up in my Prime Video? When does it update? First time to use Prime Video actually. Haha

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Quick question.

How come Ep 3 isn't showing up in my Prime Video? When does it update? First time to use Prime Video actually. Haha

You need the STARZ addon sub as well, you can trial a month free but then you need to pay an extra $5/month i think.

hydruxo

tumblr_opycckWxHu1vfg7u3o2_540.gif

Siegcram

If you need a show called American Gods to be more explicit about the fact that it is about gods in America, then yeah, this probably isn't for you.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Liking it a bit more each episode, I thought this one was the best so far.

The opening was very touching.

Shadow's wife is gorgeous. ay papi

[edit]

Lol, I like how so many people who knew about this show going into it are, like, "ain't nothing confusing about this" and so many people who didn't are, like "yo, this shit is confusing".

Like I said earlier in the thread, I like weird and confusing shit, so I don't mind it too much but I'm sure a lot of people are going to be turned off by it. Someone already said in the thread that their wife gave on it since it was too confusing, I bet she won't be the only one.

Einchy

That was, umm, some gay sex.

Wait, what happened the next morning?

American Gods has taught me that if you have sex three things will happen:

A: You will die in a car crash with a ding dong in your mouth

B: You will be Honey we Shrunk the Kids'd, sucked into a coochie and be thrown across the cosmos

C: Fire cum will go inside of you and you will be taken over by the person who came in you

Sex is more dangerous in this world than in an 80s slasher movie.

[edit]

Oh god, what did Ian McShane do to that poor girl in the motel!?

Haly

That was, umm, some gay sex.

Wait, what happened in the morning?

Book spoilers, kind of, TV made it ambiguous but this is what happens:
Jinn left with Salim's clothes, briefcase and airplane tickets. Salim adopts the jinn's life in his stead. It's implied that they do a Trading Places kind of switcheroo.

The TV in particular failed to deliver on this point but I guess there was no good way they could do it:

American Gods said:
He finds a pair of jeans, the T-shirt, and the dust-colored woolen sweater discarded on the floor. Beneath them he finds a driver's license in the name of Ibrahim bin Irem, a taxi permit in the same name, and a ring of keys with an address written on a piece of paper attached to them in English. The photographs on the license and the permit do not look much like Salim, but then, they did not look much like the ifrit.

Veelk

Banned
Oh god, what did Ian McShane do to that poor girl in the motel!?

Book spoilers:
Odin gets women by having two charms:

1. make any woman love him
2. make it so that any woman who falls in love with him will never love anyone else ever.

She's probably now going to go through her life unable to make a romantic connection ever again.

I'd say that the message here is "Don't have sex with gods" but honestly, the Bilquis lovers seem happy and Salim seems excited to take on his new life. Only Laura got the short end of the stick by having sex with a normal dude. So maybe it is "God sex costs, but it's worth it"

Veelk

Banned
It's not really sad. I think it's quite cheerful and optimistic.

Unending and undiminishing longing for a man who you'll never see again that prevents you from making a connection with anyone else
is cheerful and optimistic?

Einchy

So, the book is only season 1 and after that it's new stuff, right? If that's the case, I might have to pick up the book once the season is over.

Haly

So, the book is only season 1 and after that it's new stuff, right? If that's the case, I might have to pick up the book once the season is over.

No. Season 1 is, if I remember the interviews correctly, the first 25-30% of the book. There's a mini climax that will likely be the climax of this season.

Veelk

Banned

I don't remember where I read it, but my understanding is that the season only covers part of the book. If we're going by my kindle, the show is about 18% of the book in.

Crispy75

I am really hoping to see, as expanded material, Greek Mythology appear in the series.

So do you think there's any chance we'll stumble upon Zeus or Hercules or something?
too far removed from the present for them to have got to America. Odin and Loki came with Eriksson, Anansi with African slaves etc. No ancient Greek ever came near the new world.

Einchy

No. Season 1 is, if I remember the interviews correctly, the first 20-25% of the book. There's a mini climax that will likely be the climax of this season, if they even get there.
I don't remember where I read it, but my understanding is that the season only covers part of the book. If we're going by my kindle, the show is about 18% of the book in.
Oh, damn, so we could go a bunch of seasons without finishing the book? Interesting.

Haly

From everything I've read about it from Fuller and friends, I am almost certain that the first 2 seasons will not finish the book. I can mentally partition the book into 4 seasons going by their time table and I assume it'll be expanded to fill a 5th, if they ever get that far.

Siegcram

Oh, damn, so we could go a bunch of seasons in without finishing the book? Interesting.
The structure of the book makes it much more likely they'll expand and add new stuff along the way, not finish the book and then tack on the new material.

But I'm sure there are some Fuller interviews on the subject someone could link. He likely has a 5-7 season plan, which means we'll probably get 2-3.

Haly

But I'm sure there are some Fuller interviews on the subject someone could link. He likely has a 5-7 season plan, which means we'll probably get 2-3.

RIP Fulleribal

If American Gods gets Hannibal'd I'll RIOT.

too far removed from the present for them to have got to America. Odin and Loki came with Eriksson, Anansi with African slaves etc. No ancient Greek ever came near the new world.

Doesn't mean there aren't people who believe in those things. I mean, Mexican Jesus didn't exist 2000 years ago but Mr Wednesday talks about how he's one of many versions of Jesus knocking about.

Shy

I fucking loved this episodes opening.
FIRE JIZZ
You mean yours isn't ? 😜
It is, but probably not the way you think. It's more sad than anything.
Yeah.

In the book
, it seemed to me like Ibrahim fucked over (no pun intended) Salem and was a really sad story

But in the show, it made the story and more optimistic one, rather than a more melancholy tone of the book.

Did i just misinterpret the story altogether ?
RIP Fulleribal

If American Gods gets Hannibal'd I'll RIOT.
Better start practising kicking over rubbish bins. 😝
So are there sex scenes in this just for the sake of it a la GoT?
Pretty much the same in the book.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Watching this back to back with The Leftovers is gonna melt my brain.

- These "Somewhere in America..." openings are dope.
- Zorya is 🔥🔥🔥
- Mr. Wednesday is too smooth
- Hannibal Squad Sighting...and he's dead. That's some Final Destination shit.
- They really did a good job with the cabbie story
- "Yeah, I like marshmallows." Lol

Good episode. I especially liked Shadow and Mr Wednesday chat in the car near the end.

kirblar

The story, really, really didn't convey that the two guys
flipped lives. Had to go to Reddit for that explanation.

Quick question.

For some reason, Amazon doesn't actually put it up for another half-hour (9pm for me in New Zealand). For me at least, it's actually quicker to pirate it; as it's up that way by about 4:30.

Polarburr

Gemüsepizza;236850030 said:
Where do you live? In my country (Germany) it is included with Amazon Prime, without additional cost, but it won't be available until later today as far as I know.

Philippines. I guess it takes awhile to update??

For some reason, Amazon doesn't actually put it up for another half-hour (9pm for me in New Zealand). For me at least, it's actually quicker to pirate it; as it's up that way by about 4:30.

Yeah I wanted to pirate it but if I can watch it in Prime Video, why not! Haha

Edit: nevermind. It's up now.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
No, they didn't.

Yeah, they did? The salesman had to take the sweater, glasses, and cab. He even repeated the "I don't grant wishes" line while in the front seat of the cab. I mean...I don't know how more obvious they could be without a line of dialogue literally saying it.

kirblar

Yeah, they did? The salesman had to take the sweater, glasses, and cab. He even repeated the "I don't grant wishes" line while in the front seat of the cab. I mean...I don't know how more obvious they could be without a line of dialogue literally saying it.
Because you only
know they flipped if you see the other guy. Which you don't. Because of that, it's a one-sided transaction where you see the guy being gifted a new life. Meaning that I thought the Djinn died, or did grant a wish, or possessed him.

Haly

It makes it look like
the jinn took over Salim. When you consider the direction they took with Bilquis and Anansi this is a very simple interpretation to make.

It makes it look like
the jinn took over Salim. When you consider the direction they took with Bilquis and Anansi this is a very simple interpretation to make.

Because you only
know they flipped if you see the other guy. Which you don't. Because of that, it's a one-sided transaction where you see the guy being gifted a new life. Meaning that I thought the Djinn died, or did grant a wish, or possessed him.

That's what I thought. To me
the Jinn was either dead or possessed the dude.
It never even crossed my mind that he was alive.

Siegcram

No, they didn't.
Yes, they did, directly after the sex scene fades to black, you see Salim picking up the jinn's sweater and wallet/keys and get into his taxi.

You can infer he does that because his original stuff isn't there anymore.

Here's the excerpt from AV Club:
He takes Salim’s clothes, his sample case, his identity. But in exchange, he leaves his own clothes, his cab, his keys… and the opportunity to escape into the anonymity of New York.

The supposed ease with which Salim will vanish into his new identity, just as the jinn did before him, is a quiet remark on white America’s inability (or unwillingness) to distinguish between other ethnicities’ individuality. There’s no resemblance between Salim’s slight, sweet features and the jinn’s rougher, broader handsomeness, and neither of them resembles the owner of the original license

kirblar

Yes, they did, directly after the sex scene fades to black, you see Salim picking up the jinn's sweater and wallet/keys and get into his taxi.

You can infer he does that because his original stuff isn't there anymore.

Here's the excerpt from AV Club:
No, you cannot infer that his stuff is missing because they do not show that his stuff is missing. If it is "obvious" to you, I'm willing to wager that you read the source material.

It very much reads as a possession, especially after the gay sex scene.

After seeing it, I was like "This is either a possession or a statement on generational wealth being passed down from one set of immigrants to the next?" and it turned out to be neither.

Ishan

I'm gonna go with some of the posts already in this thread and say three episodes in this show is still too obtuse . Plus shadow moon just going along with all this wackiness doesn't seem at all like a normal person would react . The only justification I can think of is loss of a close on so he just doesn't think/care .... But this show has one of the worst expositions for a major show .

Top Bottom