• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Horror Story: ? |OT| We know nothing about this season

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
fucking loving kathy bates' character

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
That's a bit of a stretch, isn't it?
Nah, I'd say that it's pretty likely.
I mean, Sarah Paulson's character is just playing Shelby after all. Plus, Billie Dean tells the Murder House characters about Roanoke and Croatoan, so it seems likely that she learned about the story from being on the set of My Roanoke Nightmare. Billie Dean is a real psychic though, so perhaps she gained her powers while running around the forest as a Shelby reenactor? Like, maybe Lady Gaga granted her her abilities or something.

He is already listed in the credits at the end.

Also, this reminds me of Storm of the Century from Stephen King who did his version of what happened to the lost colony.
What was his version? I remember the Andre character but don't remember it referencing what exactly happened in Roanoke.

All caught up, I'm interest so far funny how Ive only watched seasons 3 and 6.

somedevil

What was his version? I remember the Andre character but don't remember it referencing what exactly happened in Roanoke.

All caught up, I'm interest so far funny how Ive only watched seasons 3 and 6.

The colony refused his request to give up one child to replace him before he dies. So he made the whole colony walk into the Ocean.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
The episode was pretty good. We're getting a bit more info, and things are starting to get more interesting.

I liked episode 3. The fourth wall break with the documentary was cool. I hope they do more stuff like that. I would be cool to see the actors in the same room as the real people.

I liked episode 3. The fourth wall break with the documentary was cool. I hope they do more stuff like that. I would be cool to see the actors in the same room as the real people.

I wonder if the stuff from the reenactment will catch up to the people being interviewed? I mean, the stuff they're talking about happened in the past, but it might not actually be OVER. Imagine them being interviewed and then suddenly the lights go out or something, and we get even more Blair Witch that we had already with the stickmen.

I wonder if the stuff from the reenactment will catch up to the people being interviewed? I mean, the stuff they're talking about happened in the past, but it might not actually be OVER. Imagine them being interviewed and then suddenly the lights go out or something, and we get even more Blair Witch that we had already with the stickmen.

That would be cool. Like how in the end of Asylum when they past caught up with the future.

Episode 6 is supposed to have a big twist too

T.O.P

Banned
Halfway through ep2 and I'm already bored to tears :|

S1&2 are the only one that hooked me really fast to the characters and plot

American Horror Story would be better if it had less ADD involved in it. Something new, some new monster, has to be introduced every episode. It's worrying me, because that hurt Asylum a lot.

Hey look, there's aliens, monsters we don't give depth to, an evil scientist, crazy people, murder...and that's not all. The devil, too. I mean, c'mon...focus.

.JayZii

Banned
American Horror Story would be better if it had less ADD involved in it. Something new, some new monster, has to be introduced every episode. It's worrying me, because that hurt Asylum a lot.

Hey look, there's aliens, monsters we don't give depth to, an evil scientist, crazy people, murder...and that's not all. The devil, too. I mean, c'mon...focus.
It's the same almost every time. So much wasted potential.

They should also get whoever does their teasers on as a consultant for some visuals because they almost always are clumsily executed in the show proper.

It's the same almost every time. So much wasted potential.

They should also get whoever does their teasers on as a consultant for some visuals because they almost always are clumsily executed in the show proper.

It's one of the main reasons as to why I think the first season is by far the best.

dan2026

So is this season actually good?

I dropped off on season 4 and never tried season 5.

AHS always seems full of potential, that they then squander with awful writing.
Everything about it screams 'this should be good'. Then you watch it...

B-Dex

I need episode 6 to air so we can get this huge twist out of the way. All the theories are making me impatient.

Have you ever seen those ghost re-enactment shows on Discovery or Destination America? Specifically talking about A Haunting, Paranormal Survivor, Ghostly Encounters, etc.? It's set up like that. If you don't know what I mean, it's basically like a 'real life' person (people) is telling a story via interview and you see segment where actors act it out. Some aren't digging it because the interview segments defuses tension because....reasons? I'm not really all that sure.

I love that stuff, so I'm loving it. There's apparently a big twist in episode 6 that changes everything, though, so the format may change.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

Murder House was chock full of random stuff too though. I don't know why people always blame that aspect of the series on Asylum.

Gorger

What's annoying me with this show is characters constantly doing stupid illogical stuff. It's definitely scarier than AHS has been in a long time.

Thankfully this season isn't like that. Yet, of course, AHS has a history of starting out strong and shitting the bed.

But did you watch AHS beyond Asylum? Coven and Freak Show weren't really like that. I always feel weird comparing Coven to any other season of AHS though because it just feels so out of place in the series. It's like it was a backdoor pilot for Scream Queens or something. But Freak Show was pretty consistent (albeit boring) through its run, with the main cast and then the two villains. Hotel was nuts though and yeah every new episode had like a billion new things in it on top of like 50 characters with crazy in-depth back stories and side plots.

To answer the question above: So far this season is pretty good.

Thankfully this season isn't like that. Yet, of course, AHS has a history of starting out strong and shitting the bed.

But did you watch AHS beyond Asylum? Coven and Freak Show weren't really like that. I always feel weird comparing Coven to any other season of AHS though because it just feels so out of place in the series. It's like it was a backdoor pilot for Scream Queens or something. But Freak Show was pretty consistent (albeit boring) through its run, with the main cast and then the two villains. Hotel was nuts though and yeah every new episode had like a billion new things in it on top of like 50 characters with crazy in-depth back stories and side plots.

I haven't seen Coven, because I didn't have FX at the time. I agree that Freak Show wasn't as bad with it.

Monocle

Season 5 is way better than Season 6 so far. Don't skip Season 5 if you have the slightest interest in this show. It's great.

I haven't seen Coven, because I didn't have FX at the time. I agree that Freak Show wasn't as bad with it.

Coven is on Netflix and Hulu if you're interested. It's not.. bad, per sey, but it's just SUPER different from all the other AHS seasons. I'd say there's really only one sequence that has any kind of scary/horror element to it out of the entire season, but Kathy Bates is amazing in it and so is Angela Bassett.

I also think I like the theme song from Coven best out of all of them, even though it does feature a Jersey Devil (I think?) in it that has nothing whatsoever to do with Coven and served only to hype and then crush me ):

If you go in with low expectations you might actually enjoy it. In retrospect it's not that bad but I was pretty put off by how different it was coming off of watching Murder House and Asylum back to back.

Coven is on Netflix and Hulu if you're interested. It's not.. bad, per sey, but it's just SUPER different from all the other AHS seasons. I'd say there's really only one sequence that has any kind of scary/horror element to it out of the entire season, but Kathy Bates is amazing in it and so is Angela Bassett.

I also think I like the theme song from Coven best out of all of them, even though it does feature a Jersey Devil (I think?) in it that has nothing whatsoever to do with Coven and served only to hype and then crush me ):

If you go in with low expectations you might actually enjoy it. In retrospect it's not that bad but I was pretty put off by how different it was coming off of watching Murder House and Asylum back to back.

I definitely do want to watch it. I've been searching my satellite for weekend marathons, but that's one season they haven't aired again much, if at all. I'm going to try to go in with an open mind, as I want to enjoy it, much like I want to enjoy all AHS.

I have Canadian Netflix, and will have to check if it's on there. I honestly don't watch much of it. Thanks.

Season 5 is way better than Season 6 so far. Don't skip Season 5 if you have the slightest interest in this show. It's great.

I think you might be alone on that boat :p

You and I disagree on everything AHS, though, so it's all in fun. I respect your opinion.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Is this the last season or they'll just keep going until they run out of ideas?

Toa TAK

Banned
Murder House was chock full of random stuff too though. I don't know why people always blame that aspect of the series on Asylum.
Probably because they had so many extremes with it. They had wacky sci fi with the aliens and then the supernatural with the Devil and Angel of Death. It's almost like they couldn't stick with one of those and keep it consistent with the other concepts of the show.

Asylum still rocks, though.

Razmos

Is episode 3 the first time we hear the interviewer ask a question to one of the characters? I wonder if the interviewer is someone important.

Episode 3 was really good, definitely got me interested after the first 2 episodes were a little boring.

Coven was fun. It had its moments.

I feel like Coven could be its own series but we got Scream Queens instead. The world they set up with all the different factions of witches has a ton of room to be explored, not to mention Murphy said they'd get into male witches/wizards and then did absolutely fuck all with them. Plus that Jersey Devil in the intro, along with a lot of other extremely interesting and creepy imagery (the group in the cloaks and hoods).

I kind of wouldn't mind if they did a Coven II at some point to get into the stuff they left out the first go-around but I'm sure that would really piss a ton of people off, especially when there's so many other horror themes and tropes they could do first.

Probably because they had so many extremes with it. They had wacky sci fi with the aliens and then the supernatural with the Devil and Angel of Death. It's almost like they couldn't stick with one of those and keep it consistent with the other concepts of the show.

Asylum still rocks, though.

Yeah, this.

It started out well, then went downhill. I wanted to love it.

liquidtmd

Banned
I loved Season 1 and for some reason Season 2 is my favourite. The aliens, sexy devil possesions and all. Season 3 I found good if a little choresome, Season 4 I couldn't manage more than 2 episodes and Season 5 I was indifferent to by the time I stopped at episode 4. Season 5 I recognised as being better than 4 but the show at this point for me had gone up its own creative arse.

Came into this thread to see what the setting was and to be honest it doesn't sound that inspiring.

Yeah, AHS has ALWAYS been horror Mad-Libs. It's not about a coherent horror story. It's about jamming a bunch of horror tropes together.

In fact, the weakest season (Freak Show) suffered a little from having less of that than previous seasons, I think.

Top Bottom