• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American hunter illegally killed Cecil the Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing you have to realize is everyone involved knows this is completely wrong. He is exactly paying people off. He is paying the officials of Zimbabwe to make it legal so he can come do this. Every person that does this is part of it, that is why they pay 55K plus another huge chunk of change while they are in the country. They just keep pumping money in to people that are desperate and they get what they want.

Zimbabwe is corrupt as fuck, I wouldn't put this completely on the hunter.

Arkeband

Banned
People are seriously suggesting life in prison, and even death for this guy? These revenge fantasies are gross. I'm sure this guy is already rehabilitated.

tumblr_mw3pihFWKE1rd8fxwo1_500.gif

scotcheggz

What a fucking bellend. Hunting for no reason other than to kill is disgusting and the people who do it are disgusting. Can't say I have any sympathy for the heat he is getting now.

dabig2

He still paid the money to go, despite knowing how corrupt they are. This is also not his first rodeo with getting in trouble. I just don't buy the plausible deniability "he was an innocent law-abiding angel who was misled into evil" tripe. I'm reminded of Bush Jr trying to absolve himself from the brutal rape and torture being carried out in the military's secret prisons. Similar excuses were used, no one cared. No one should care in this case either.

I rather save my sympathy for the dumb college kids who might unknowingly become drug runners in strange, foreign lands. And even then I would be harsh against their ignorance.

People are seriously suggesting life in prison, and even death for this guy? These revenge fantasies are gross. I'm sure this guy is already rehabilitated.

Rehabilitated?

So you admit wanting to kill animals is a mental illness?

We might agree with each other after all!

Is it ethical though to interfere with animals like that? I don't think so. Prime directive and so on. Same with nature documentarians, even if it is a little baby you don't interfere with the natural order of things.

Not interfering is sometimes just as bad. One of the issues I have with some conservation efforts is that they are preserving a dynamic which never existed, one without humans. Essentially a pristine myth. Humans have interacted with these creatures for thousands of years and taking out humans from the natural web of interaction is just like taking out any other animal or plant. The land was shaped naturally by the humans living there and there are unforeseeable ramifications to removing them. The people who have lived on these lands are often forcibly relocated and promised money from tourism that they'll never see. I could see an issue in the future where the lions, who have no natural predators, experience a resurgence and start to threaten other species as well as humans (especially the humans living near the preserves). Nature is about death as well as life and I think half of that equation is ignored by misguided conservation efforts leading to future issues.

low-G

Legalize the hunting down & killing of poachers. Kill one & you can keep their stuff / sell their organs / etc.

Nafai1123

Banned

But that's the point. It's because of money like this that corruption runs rampant in underdeveloped countries. If you have enough money, I have no doubt you could find and do literally ANYTHING under the context of it being "legal." And that doesn't just apply to individuals.

Eg. Huge companies dumping waste.

I mean....it's legal, so obviously it's OK. Right?

BamfMeat

Its not jealousy its survival, in order for the species to survive cubs need protection. Lions are not people they don't adopt. Its harsh but the sooner these cubs are dead they sooner the females will be ready to mate and create cubs with a protector that have the best chance to survive. They might get lucky the females will care for them as long as they can, I think its two years before males are pushed out of a pride.

It's absolutely jealousy. The male doesn't want anyone but his own offspring out there. I mean, I get what you're saying, it's the survival of his own line rather than another males, and as soon as he kills them the female will be ready to make more cubs, but it's still the textbook case of jealousy. It's just not that the lion goes "I'm jealous here" - we rationalize how they act into our own way of thinking and feeling.

Regardless, I stand by what I said - if they can get in and get the cubs and take them to a zoo, they can have those survive and still have the female receptive to new offspring. With an already close to endangered species, every single cub is valuable enough to attempt to save. Do you have a reason why the cubs shouldn't be saved, aside from "it's nature"?

Not interfering is sometimes just as bad. One of the issues I have with some conservation efforts is that they are preserving a dynamic which never existed, one without humans. Essentially a pristine myth. Humans have interacted with these creatures for thousands of years and taking out humans from the natural web of interaction is just like taking out any other animal or plant. The land was shaped naturally by the humans living there and there are unforeseeable ramifications to removing them. The people who have lived on these lands are often forcibly relocated and promised money from tourism that they'll never see. I could see an issue in the future where the lions, who have no natural predators, experience a resurgence and start to threaten other species as well as humans (especially the humans living near the preserves). Nature is about death as well as life and I think half of that equation is ignored by misguided conservation efforts leading to future issues.

This guy gets it.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Hahaha, you are really going to have to explain how the guy is already rehabilitated. I bet you he still wants to go hunt big game, even after all of this.

I personally would rather see them in a zoo where they have a chance at half a life rather than be killed off by a jealous male and be destroyed completely. I can't imagine they're better off dead than alive?

We do it all the time - I don't see how ethics comes in when we're talking about saving an already endangered animal from extinction, even if they themselves may not ever breed.

Putting them in captivity is basically just to make us feel better. There is no way to save them. They would not be able to be reintroduced to the wild. Also saving these Cubs would not save the species. Even if they got a male and a female to mate they would just have more lions that can't live in the wild. Nature is uncaring and these cubs will probably be killed by another lion and the circle of life will move on. Conservation is a lot more complicated than lets save these Cubs and put them in a zoo

What are you...did you even read the post you quoted? When did I refer to gender at all in that post? And what does gender have to do with killing and it's effect on the brain? Man or woman, I'd be worried about someone who hunts for sport. You're making a comment about a post I made earlier in the thread, if you have that big a problem with it, let me know. But if it's such an asinine comment, I don't understand why it upset you so much. Maybe it's because... nah nevermind.

I get it, some people hunt because they have to. I just highly doubt anyone on this message board hunts because they have to. Hunting to survive has never once been an issue for me, even at my hungriest. I'm just lucky I guess.

You're the one who brought up the assumption that hunters are just compensating for small penises. You're then the one who said that the assumption isn't needed for women. I'm not even sure you understand the implication of those two posts.

Leaving gender out since it seems like a miscommunication, my main point was simple. Your opinion is afforded to you because of the timeline in which you live. Not very long ago most people had to kill things to get by and they all did just fine mentally.

This guy is a real shit. It sounds dumb, but I really expected more out of a dentist. Inflicting unnecessary pain on innocent animals is something I usually associate with low IQ people.

darscot

It's absolutely jealousy. The male doesn't want anyone but his own offspring out there. I mean, I get what you're saying, it's the survival of his own line rather than another males, and as soon as he kills them the female will be ready to make more cubs, but it's still the textbook case of jealousy. It's just not that the lion goes "I'm jealous here" - we rationalize how they act into our own way of thinking and feeling

Yeah having just spent time watching lions in Kenya, jealousy is not an emotion that I could ever project on them. To them it's more like common sense, it is the logical and natural thing to do. Male lions show almost no emotion of any kind, the females and cubs do, but the males have a massive presence. They are all fucking that, they eat, they fuck, and the project a massive I can take care of my shit, do not fuck with me vibe. Seeing a male lion felt like seeing the super hero or athlete you had hanging on your wall when you where little and I mean when your little with all the awe and wonder of a child.

Dreez

Hmmm I'm inspired to write a screenplay... instead of someone killing John Wick's puppy they kill his friend lion.

Azuran

Banned
Fuck this piece of shit and anyone that defends his actions. I hope they extradite his ass to Zimbabwe if he runs back home.

gugi40

Big game hunting is deranged to me, in fact enjoying hunting is deranged to me.

You are enjoying killing a living thing and I just don't understand that.

Hunting for food/preservation I still don't like but at least it is controlled and has purpose.

Hunting for sport is just...nope. I'm sorry but I do think less of people that hunt for fun it seems sadistic to me, and that is not to say that is true of all hunters since many do not know any better because of "family tradition" barf*.

This abomination described in the OP needs to have all his guns taken away and should not be allowed to hunt ever again since he obviously has no regard for the preservation and observation of species.

But that's the point. It's because of money like this that corruption runs rampant in underdeveloped countries. If you have enough money, I have no doubt you could find and do literally ANYTHING under the context of it being "legal." And that doesn't just apply to individuals.

Eg. Huge companies dumping waste.

I mean....it's legal, so obviously it's OK. Right?

The body was found July 1st skinned and the head removed.
Zimbabwe authorities allege it was one of 3 hunters but have no evidence linking them to the killing. Why would he take the head and pelt when it would have to go through American customs. The fact the lion was collared with a tracking device would prompt them to just dump the body rather than butcher it for trophy purposes. It sounds to me Cecil got poached and Zimbabwe would rather pin this on the hunters than admit they fucked up.

Edit- the article stats a pelt and head was confiscated but does not say from who.

komplanen

People could use a chill pill. Dude fucked up and is quite a horrible human being. If there's any legal ramifications he'll get his due. No need to wish death or imprisonment just because this lion happened to have a name. Where's everyone when all the nameless lions get killed for sport? Probably being angry on Twitter at something unrelated, like some advertisement or movie casting choice. But when the lion has a name it's fucking personal.

Also makes me think of the internet hate mob TED talk that was linked just a couple of days ago.

People could use a chill pill. Dude fucked up and is quite a horrible human being. If there's any legal ramifications he'll get his due. No need to wish death or imprisonment just because this lion happened to have a name. Where's everyone when all the nameless lions get killed for sport? Probably being angry on Twitter at something unrelated, like some advertisement or movie casting choice. But when the lion has a name it's fucking personal.

Also makes me think of the internet hate mob TED talk that was linked just a couple of days ago.

The lion having a name is not the reason people are upset at all.

komplanen

Total fucking scumbag cunt.

Cowardly lowlife.

I will hunt him for free.

Can't wait to see people making excuses for this.

I think someone who would hunt a human being because he killed an animal is so much more worse than killing any animal ever. Seriously lmao at this post.

komplanen

The lion having a name is not the reason people are upset at all.

You know that hundreds of lions are killed yearly in similar circumstances (sport, poaching), right? Where are the hundreds of threads about it on NeoGAF? This one had a name and he was caught. I can understand it's easier to be angry at someone with a name so there's that.

The fallacy of trophy hunters being conservationists needs to be burned, pissed on, and buried. Fuck trophy hunters, fuck their lame excuses to justify killing for pleasure, and fuck them for making the world a sadder place. I would seriously just walk up and punch this douchenozzle in the face, unprovoked.

You know that hundreds of lions are killed yearly in similar circumstances (sport, poaching), right? Where are the hundreds of threads about it on NeoGAF? This one had a name and he was caught. I can understand it's easier to be angry at someone with a name so there's that.

Because this is a popular story in the news at the moment.

And a Google search shows numerous GAF threads on poaching.

Anything else you're having trouble understanding?

Alucrid

Banned

why don't we have a thread every time a person dies on earth huh

stufte

The fallacy of trophy hunters being conservationists needs to be burned, pissed on, and buried. Fuck trophy hunters, fuck their lame excuses to justify killing for pleasure, and fuck them for making the world a sadder place. I would seriously just walk up and punch this douchenozzle in the face, unprovoked.

And you'd be wrong for doing that.

This is poaching, not trophy hunting. Like it or not legit big game hunts contribute to the overall health of the species and helps the locals.

Not all those individual cases make it into the news to come to the attention of a lot of people.

Just because there are not threads for each individual case does not mean that many of the posters are not aware of the ongoing issues with species endangerment by humans hunting for sport or other reasons or that they don't contribute in some manner to help the situation.

You seem quite pleased with yourself coming into the thread casting judgement and ridicule.

This is poaching, not trophy hunting. Like it or not legit big game hunts contribute to the overall health of the species and helps the locals.

Care to provide evidence from unbiased sources that big game hunts of species near endangerment help the health of a species?

How is it that environments without human activity survive without humans occasionally coming in and killing some animals, 'cause nature needs a little help? And right or wrong is a matter of perspective, not absolute.

And some people defend this shit saying the money goes to locals.

Lol, who says that? Idiot. Well, it does go to locals.. local scum/villainy.

How is it that environments without human activity survive without humans occasionally coming in and killing some animals, 'cause nature needs a little help? And right or wrong is a matter of perspective, not absolute.

This lion did not die a natural death. We do not complete the circle of life.

komplanen

Because this is a popular story in the news at the moment.

And a Google search shows numerous GAF threads on poaching.

Anything else you're having trouble understanding?

why don't we have a thread every time a person dies on earth huh

My point is that there are roughly 600 Lions killed a every year for trophies and 60% of those by Americans. People here are making this personal and hoping this guy gets quite a lot of bad karma his way, but in reality it's much much larger than just Cecil or some dentist. But there's a name and a face to target anger and death threats at so there we go.

Odrion

Banned
Guys, you need to stop over generalizing groups of people. How many times must it be said: sometimes there are many, sometimes there are few, but there's always bad apples in every occupation or hobby. Not all dentists lure and poach African lions.

My point is that there are roughly 600 Lions killed a every year for trophies and 60% of those by Americans. People here are making this personal and hoping this guy gets quite a lot of bad karma his way, but in reality it's much much larger than just Cecil or some dentist. But there's a name and a face to target anger and death threats at so there we go.

So you're saying this isn't the only lion to have ever been killed by a poacher?

Well then, I stand corrected. OP should be updated.

komplanen

Guys, you need to stop over generalizing groups of people. How many times must it be said: sometimes there are many, sometimes there are few, but there's always bad apples in every occupation or hobby. Not all dentists lure and poach African lions.

Are you saying we shouldn't hunt all American dentists to death or imprisonment over this? Get out of this thread lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom