• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American hunter illegally killed Cecil the Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I am not against hunting or culling over populous animals your comparison is flawed. All the animals you mentioned are bred for a sole purpose, and that is to be eaten. If we didn't eat meat there wouldn't be 23 million chickens, 90k cows bred to be killed. They simply wouldn't exist.

Your statement "I think unless people are vegan they have no say in what hunters do." is a poor comparison for that exact reason. You can eat meat and be anti-hunting without being a hypocrite. Its animals living in nature, seeing the circle of life as they should and seeing how the eco system works. People don't want to see animals hunted for no reason what so ever.

Unfortunately though we, as humans, have fucked up the eco system in many ways, so hunting is needed to keep population in control or culls are needed to get rid of animals that shouldn't exist in the area.

You can still be against hunting and eat meat though. As the animal bred has a sole purpose. I'd actually think you'd be a hypocrite if you ate fish though, unless you only ate farmed.....

Wow.

Just because we breed them for eating doesn't mean they magically aren't animals. We don't breed meat. Just because the animal doesn't "see the circle of life" doesn't mean it doesn't fear death o_O

Killing for food is not equally reprehensible as killing for sport.

That goes without saying. I was just commenting on the way that post was worded. It sounded like the poster was denying the very "animality" of the animals bred because they don't see the circle of life or something. This argument is dangerous because that can mean that the concept of animal cruelty for example doesn't apply to animals bred. Not a vegetarian or anything, again it was just a comment.

Darren870

Wow.

Just because we breed them for eating doesn't mean they magically aren't animals. We don't breed meat. Just because the animal doesn't "see the circle of life" doesn't mean it doesn't fear death o_O

I never said animals didn't have feelings but the statement "I think unless people are vegan they have no say in what hunters do." Is a flawed one when you try and use that argument.

A better argument would be "If you are against hunting for food I hope you don't eat fish"

Saya

Just read up on this story. Damn it, hunting these animals makes me angry and sad.

tFb9ewg.jpg

xbhaskarx

but anyone who eats meat is a hypocrite for being anti hunting in general

but the statement "I think unless people are vegan they have no say in what hunters do." Is a flawed one when you try and use that argument.

You know who doesn't use that "unless you are vegan you have no say" argument? Actual vegans. I say that as someone who has been vegan for over a dozen years and who knows plenty of other vegans. You have no right to voice your opposition to ethnic cleansing in Sudan because you buy products made from sweatshop labor! The people who make such arguments don't care more about both issue X and issue Y than you, they're just sociopaths.

Fuck all the endangered species, all the whales and dolphins being slaughtered, all the big cats elephants and rhinos, all the deforestation and habitat destruction, etc. let's just let them all die without doing anything about it, because you happen to eat KFC. That's just brilliant fucking logic right there... you can't care about one issue unless you care (what someone else deems the appropriate amount) about ALL issues!

Whataboutism was a tactic used by the Soviet Union in its dealings with the Western world during the Cold War. When criticisms were leveled at the Soviet Union, the response would be "What about..." followed by the naming of an event in the Western world. It represents a case of tu quoque or the appeal to hypocrisy, a logical fallacy which attempts to discredit the opponent's position by asserting the opponent's failure to act consistently in accordance with that position, without directly refuting or disproving the opponent's initial argument.

I never said animals didn't have feelings but the statement "I think unless people are vegan they have no say in what hunters do." Is a flawed one when you try and use that argument.

A better argument would be "If you are against hunting for food I hope you don't eat fish"

Agreed then.

This sums up how much of a 'sport' hunting lions and other exotic animals are with modern weaponry.

agreed

those poacher scumbags should be put face2face with their "prey" only equiped with a knife.
I wonder who will win then.

This pic makes me so angry:
YKrBc4T.jpg

cowardly asswipes

in before: "but our intelligence is our No1 weapon, therefor GUNS!!1!"

Bossun

One of my friend'S father is the director of mushingashi conservancy game reserve in Zambia and a couple of weeks ago they had a poacher group (6 right now) killing elephants and removing the tusks. My friend was posting pictures about the poaching to make people aware of what was going on. The pictures were gruesome and horrible.

Anyway as horrible as these bastards are they ultimately get caught. My friends father has, for the past 15 years put around 950 poacher in jail.

One of my friend'S father is the director of mushingashi conservancy game reserve in Zambia and a couple of weeks ago they had a poacher group (6 right now) killing elephants and removing the tusks. My friend was posting pictures about the poaching to make people aware of what was going on. The pictures were gruesome and horrible.

Anyway as horrible as these bastards are they ultimately get caught. My friends father has, for the past 15 years put around 950 poacher in jail.

Your friend's dad is a top bloke! Keep on, keeping on fella.

lazygecko

Your friend's dad is a top bloke! Keep on, keeping on fella.

It also highlights how all of these poachers are merely the symptom though, and putting one behind bars just leaves a vacuum to be filled by the next person with little to lose. They wouldn't be poaching if there wasn't such a demand for it on the market.

BokehKing

Banned
But you're also saving the world! There's nothing wrong with being happy about that, especially since it doesn't cause any suffering. It's also not causing much pain to the animal if you do it correctly. Any animal you properly kill in the wild is certainty much better off in terms of suffering than anything you'd buy at a store or restaurant. It's a win/win.
Tell me..... Do you really think you're saving the world and do you let that get to your head?

My cousin is heavy heavy into Ecology... It is what he studies and does everyday of his life, he does not share this mind state you seem to have..

agreed

those poacher scumbags should be put face2face with their "prey" only equiped with a knife.
I wonder who will win then.

This pic makes me so angry:
YKrBc4T.jpg

cowardly asswipes

in before: "but our intelligence is our No1 weapon, therefor GUNS!!1!"
Good thing they put the American flag there just in case we couldn't hazard a guess at where these dickheads were from...

Shame you didn't say put 950 poachers in the ground, either way though he's an amazing guy!

That Rhino picture though uhhhh yeah big hard group of armed American's showing that team US is dominant over a Rhino, corralled into an area for them to shoot

kmax

Yes, Lets kills the hunter because that makes sense.

Its a sad thing to kill such a wonderful creature but the blood-thirst is getting abit out of hand now. This reminds me of the video about social media witch hunting the the psychology behind it. If you feel that a humans life is just as equivalent to the life of a animal then i guess each to their own. But if you're a meat eater then i hope you understand the hypocrisy

These poachers are not in it to hunt for food. They do it for money and glory. It's human nature at its worst, and I have very little sympathy for these blood thirsty killers.

Continuing, I never said that he should be killed, but I think he should experience the distress that he himself puts on these majestic, endangered animals. Maybe that will make him think twice next time.

Now that I think about it, that is kind of happening now in a way.

I'm okay with countries imposing death sentences for these pricks. More than okay.

Poachers are a blight and fuck the consumers creating the demand in the first place.

I can only imagine the ugly legal mess and long drawn out courtroom battles of trying to convict someone of willfully killing an endangered animal if death were the punishment.

Unbounded

What he did isn't acceptable at all, and probably won't ever be acceptable, but what the fuck people. You're actually saying you're OK with the death of another fucking human being.

Put him in jail, sure, that's perfectly OK, but having or wanting him killed? Really? How in the hell does that make you any better?

BamfMeat

Any news on if the cubs have been eaten by the other males yet or if they were taken to another park or...?

I really do hope they get those guys out of there. We have enough of a dwindling number of these guys as it is - I find it incredibly heartbreaking to let more die because some human fucked up and took out their father.

I would prefer having cubs alive in a zoo or other environment where at least they're alive to just being killed by another male because he doesn't want anothers' bloodline to be greater than his/make his bloodline grow faster.

What he did isn't acceptable at all, and probably won't ever be acceptable, but what the fuck people. You're actually saying you're OK with the death of another fucking human being.

Put him in jail, sure, that's perfectly OK, but having or wanting him killed? Really? How in the hell does that make you any better?

Uhm, we put people to death for a lot of things, mostly murder. Are you saying that animals lives' are less important than humans? If so, why is a humans life more important than an animal?

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Any news on if the cubs have been eaten by the other males yet or if they were taken to another park or...?

I don't think they'll move them. As sad as this is, seeing how the other male lions will react, is very important research material. Cecil's pride was a subject of research so...

Wonder how many of these people are ordinarily anti death penalty except when they get into a righteous furor.

entremet

I really do hope they get those guys out of there. We have enough of a dwindling number of these guys as it is - I find it incredibly heartbreaking to let more die because some human fucked up and took out their father.

I would prefer having cubs alive in a zoo or other environment where at least they're alive to just being killed by another male because he doesn't want anothers' bloodline to be greater than his/make his bloodline grow faster.

Uhm, we put people to death for a lot of things, mostly murder. Are you saying that animals lives' are less important than humans? If so, why is a humans life more important than an animal?

Of course an animal's life is less important.

What strange logic is this?

Beefy

Can't people be pissed off about both?

I think it's great people protesting against people like this (obviously bringing a child is wrong) as long as it doesn't get violent. If protesting stops a few people doing shit like this due to the fear over them getting treat like this guy it's a start.

entremet

Even amongst animals there's we have an accepted hierarchy.

Feral cats kill millions of wild and native birds per year, yet no one cares.

Aren't those birds lives as valuable? Why aren't we doing anything to stop them?

What about the billions of vermin we kill per year? Why are their lives worth less than a lion?

Of course, I'm being facetious. And endangered lion is worth more, at least for me.

But animal versus humans worth is slightly off topic. That can be separate topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom