• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American hunter illegally killed Cecil the Lion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggus

Animals aren't moral agents. Applying morality to animals is nonsensical.

I was joking. People saying all hunters are psychopaths though seem to actually think that.

so the reason for MOST hunters is for food. they get 0 joy out of it, they just have to provide for their family. need to put food on the table! what would they do if they couldn't hunt and kill animals? how would they get food? i'm not sure!

as for hunters probably caring a shit ton more about nature and the environment.... lol, what an odd place to take this discussion! my entire point to begin with is someone who gains joy out of killing an animal has mental issues (in my opinion).

i'm not shedding tears over anything. plenty of people do stupid shit that makes no sense to me aside from hunting so i guess its par for the course. just an observation brah, no need to get salty about it!

I'm not salty, I'm trying to explain something to you that you obviously don't understand. I've hunted and I know many hunters. I know more about hunting and the implications of hunting than you ever will. But if you don't want to believe me or the countless environmental organizations that support hunting and instead want to assume all hunters are bloodthirsty psychopaths, go ahead lol. It makes you look kind of stupid, but whatever, brah.

I dont have that much of a problem with hunters. If its for population control or for food, then its not a big deal.

I have zero tolerance or respect for those trying to touch endangered or threatened species however. Fuck off and shoot something else. Stuff like "it makes you appreciate nature" is the dumbest thing I've heard. I can appreciate nature without killing something.

The judge and jury said differently.

Money and fame will make a lot of people say things.

If it's not a big deal, why don't you go hang a couple dogs and disembowel them, then see where that lands you.

EDIT: I'm actually going to edit this and tell you not to do what I said, because you sound dumb enough that you may do it, and I don't want that guilt on my shoulders.

I was joking. People saying all hunters are psychopaths though seem to actually think that.

I'm not salty, I'm trying to explain something to you that you obviously don't understand. I've hunted and I know many hunters. I know more about hunting and the implications of hunting than you ever will. But if you don't want to believe me or the countless environmental organizations that support hunting and instead want to assume all hunters are bloodthirsty psychopaths, go ahead lol. It makes you look kind of stupid, but whatever, brah.

if you enjoy killing animals, you have mental issues. there is literally nothing you can say to make me think otherwise. case closed brotha

if you enjoy killing animals, you have mental issues. there is literally nothing you can say to make me think otherwise. case closed brotha
What if you enjoy saving the earth? Which sometimes requires killing animals due to situations out of our control. I enjoy saving the earth. You're welcome. Somebody doesn't have a degree in ecology am I right?

bionic77

I don't think there is anything wrong with hunting if you eat what you kill.

Hunting endangered animals or for sport of an animal you are not going to eat (unless there is a population problem) is kind of fucked up though.

I mean most of us eat a ton of meat. I can't say shit to anyone who eats what they hunt.

What if you enjoy saving the earth? Which sometimes requires killing animals due to situations out of our control. I enjoy saving the earth. You're welcome. Somebody doesn't have a degree in ecology am I right?

That doesn't apply when the species you're speaking about is:

1) Endangered
2) Part of a Nature reserve.

You don't need a degree in ecology to see that.

That doesn't apply when the species you're speaking about is:

1) Endangered
2) Part of a Nature reserve.

You don't need a degree in ecology to see that.
Well yeah, but that's not what we were talking about. Animals =/= Endangered Animals. Some animals gotta die, and it helps if they're not particularly smart in the first place. It's regrettable of course, but this complete anti hunter stuff is bad for the world. The lion guy's kind of a douche.

Buzzati

Banned

He's emphasising the act of deriving joy from the hunt. I think it's fair to say that enjoying the act of inflicting undue pain and suffering on any living thing is not healthy behavior.

He's emphasising the act of deriving joy from the hunt. I think it's fair to say that enjoying the act of inflicting undue pain and suffering on any living thing is not healthy behavior.
But you're also saving the world! There's nothing wrong with being happy about that, especially since it doesn't cause any suffering. It's also not causing much pain to the animal if you do it correctly. Any animal you properly kill in the wild is certainty much better off in terms of suffering than anything you'd buy at a store or restaurant. It's a win/win.

Buzzati

Banned
But you're also saving the world! There's nothing wrong with being happy about that, especially since it doesn't cause any suffering. It's also not causing much pain to the animal if you do it correctly. Any animal you properly kill in the wild is certainty much better off in terms of suffering than anything you'd buy at a store or restaurant. It's a win/win.

Why would you enjoy the act of killing something if you're saving the world? Shouldn't the fact that you're saving the world be enough to satisfy you? What is it about the execution that is so satisfying?

Unbounded

Yep, there's absolutely zero reason someone could enjoy hunting besides being absolutely mental and a scumbag of a human being. No shades of grey whatsoever.

Why would you enjoy the act of killing something if you're saving the world? Shouldn't the fact that you're saving the world be enough to satisfy you? What is it about the execution that is so satisfying?
The fact that you're saving the world/just got some sweet non-tortured food is satisfying! That's the point haha. It's the same action.

Yep, there's absolutely zero reason someone could enjoy hunting besides being absolutely mental and a scumbag of a human being. No shades of grey whatsoever.
I do agree with this though. All hunters should be murdered. For Cecil!

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Money and fame will make a lot of people say things.

If it's not a big deal, why don't you go hang a couple dogs and disembowel them, then see where that lands you.

EDIT: I'm actually going to edit this and tell you not to do what I said, because you sound dumb enough that you may do it, and I don't want that guilt on my shoulders.

Man, people are so emotionally charged over this :O

What's with personal attacks like that to a fellow GAF member? Wowza.

Buzzati

Banned
The fact that you're saving the world is satisfying! That's the point haha. It's the same action.

If killing an animal and saving the world are the same action, then killing an animal would save the world 100% of the time. They're obviously not the same action. It is possible to kill an animal, derive no joy in the execution, and still be pleased at the ecological result. It is also possible to kill an animal and find joy in the act itself, too.

Unbounded

I do agree with this though. All hunters should be murdered. For Cecil!

Every single living one should have their muscles torn to shreds and be placed in a cage with at least two lions and four hyenas, with some vultures to take care of the aftermath.

They should probably also be given a drug to paralyze them for a couple of hours before being thrown into the cage.

USC-fan

Banned
People have been busy.

qPvoX2H.png

What a bunch of wackos.

If killing an animal and saving the world are the same action, then killing an animal would save the world 100% of the time. They're obviously not the same action. It is possible to kill an animal, derive no joy in the execution, and still be pleased at the ecological result. It is also possible to kill an animal and find joy in the act itself, too.
You save the world by reducing the population of a destructive species. Like both happen at the same time, you know? It's also nice to know that you got food in a way that is morally, ecologically, and environmentally preferable to pretty much every other way to get meat. Win/win/win?

Like even if it's not a deer and rather an intelligent animal like those boar (I don't eat pig) in the south, you can't argue that quickly killing an animal that's lived free it's entire life causes any suffering and harm to the world. All things have to die, with no suffering I can't call it a bad thing when there's an obvious benefit.

Every single living one should have their muscles torn to shreds and be placed in a cage with at least two lions and four hyenas, with some vultures to take care of the aftermath.

They should probably also be given a drug to paralyze them for a couple of hours before being thrown into the cage.
Finally, justice.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
People who are willing to defend the act of killing numerous innocent animals for the sake of game and entertainment are part of the problem.

Just one of his posts in this thread:

There is zero possibility he didn't know the action was illegal (why spend the time and effort to lure it out of the park?) and zero possibility he didn't know the lion by name. Fuck him.

Sooo? Sounds dumb enough for you to call him/her an animal-mutilating lover?

You should only hunt for food, control population/maintain resources, or for protection. To kill a lion just to hang in your trophy room as a story to talk about how brave you are to boost your ego is upsetting to me. Also Walter Palmer seems like a real jerk based on how he faced jail time for lying about killing a bear before and he's been accused of sexual harassmen

Buzzati

Banned
You save the world by reducing the population of a destructive species. Like both happen at the same time, you know? It's also nice to know that you got food in a way that is morally, ecologically, and environmentally preferable to pretty much every other way to get meat. Win/win/win?

Like even if it's not a deer and rather an intelligent animal like those boar (I don't eat pig) in the south, you can't argue that quickly killing an animal that's lived free it's entire life causes any suffering and harm to the world. All things have to die, with no suffering I can't call it a bad thing when there's an obvious benefit.

Finally, justice.

That all sounds great. But when you do all that and enjoy and revel in the execution itself, it is characteristically different than doing that and not enjoying the execution. Surely, you see the difference?

That all sounds great. But when you do all that and enjoy and revel in the execution itself, it is characteristically different than doing that and not enjoying the execution. Surely, you see the difference?
Can you not enjoy the execution because of the known outcome? Deer are creepy too.

You should only hunt for food, control population/maintain resources, or for protection. To kill a lion just to hang in your trophy room as a story to talk about how brave you are to boost your ego is upsetting to me. Also Walter Palmer seems like a real jerk based on how he faced jail time for lying about killing a bear before and he's been accused of sexual harassmen
I completely agree! It's just annoying that stories like these always bring the no tolerance crazies out of the woodwork.

Buzzati

Banned
Can you not enjoy the execution because of the known outcome? Deer are creepy too.

I personally can't. If there was a cat that was really good at killing endangered songbirds in the environment and I was told that the only solution was to put the cat down - I wouldn't feel any joy from the act of killing the cat, even though I may from the act of saving the songbirds. If I had to shoot the cat, I wouldn't revel in the sport of shooting. If I had to take the cat to a vet to be put down humanely, I wouldn't revel in the sight of him losing his life as the needle injected him just because of the songbird outcome.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
He also explained how hunting somehow helps people become conservationists.

“Anyone who thinks hunters are just ‘bloodthirsty morons’ hasn’t looked into hunting,” said Donald Jr. “If you wait through long, cold hours in the November woods with a bow in your hands hoping a buck will show or if you spend days walking in the African bush trailing Cape buffalo while listening to lions roar, you’re sure to learn hunting isn’t about killing. Nature actually humbles you. Hunting forces a person to endure, to master themselves, even to truly get to know the wild environment. Actually, along the way, hunting and fishing makes you fall in love with the natural world. This is why hunters so often give back by contributing to conservation.”
Can't you get that experience without killing for sport?

I personally can't. If there was a cat that was really good at killing endangered songbirds in the environment and I was told that the only solution was to put the cat down - I wouldn't feel any joy from the act of killing the cat, even though I may from the act of saving the songbirds. If I had to shoot the cat, I wouldn't revel in the sport of shooting. If I had to take the cat to a vet to be put down humanely, I wouldn't revel in the sight of him losing his life as the needle injected him just because of the songbird outcome.
Thats understandable, cats are literally the worst (basically atomic bombs as far as birds and herps are concerned) but they are pretty cute. I don't think it's fair to attribute in the difference in opinion to a mental disability though.

bsp

Your intentions are good, but what would make the world a better place is if I could eat bacon every day without it being a health concern. Animals eat other animals. That's nature. And humans are just animals with the capability to ponder that fact.

Other animals do a lot of things that we don't condone in modern society, so I don't think the wild animal violence line of reasoning holds too much weight... Unless you also dismiss some pretty horrible crimes under the guise of accepting "nature."

KC Denton

I would not necessarily say that quickly killing an intelligent animal would always cause no suffering and harm. Deer and other herbivores have evolved with the threat of predation so this is less of an issue with them, but with lions (for example), killing a dominant male lion causes the other males to fight and potentially kill each other for the position the dead lion had, and the victor usually goes on to kill the cubs of the dead lion so they don't have any competition for their own cubs. I believe similar things happen in wolf packs which experience a sudden death of a leader.

Other animals do a lot of things that we don't condone in modern society, so I don't think the wild animal violence line of reasoning holds too much weight... Unless you also dismiss some pretty horrible crimes under the guise of accepting "nature."
Plethodon cinereus is basically the Bill Cosby of salamanders.

I would not necessarily say that quickly killing an intelligent animal would always cause no suffering and harm. Deer and other herbivores have evolved with the threat of predation so this is less of an issue with them, but with lions (for example), killing a dominant male lion causes the other males to fight and potentially kill each other for the position the dead lion had, and the victor usually goes on to kill the cubs of the dead lion so they don't have any competition for their own cubs. I believe similar things happen in wolf packs which experience a sudden death of a leader.
I agree! The guy who killed this lion is a total asshole, I have more of a problem with people condemning all of hunting because of situations like this.

No one is asking you to donate anything. However, this guy should get punished and then go on with his life. It's why I found Michael Vick going back to the NFL alright went he served his time.
Its not donation. It's your tax dollars. Would you pick up the tab for this dentist's rehabilitation on our behalf?

Michael Vick's judgment is a travesty of justice. Lets see how a no name punk would fare against the justice system with an ambulance chaser. Lol.

So this guy lives just a couple houses down from me and apparently Mia Farrow tweeted his address? Hope she got the numbers right and I'm not the victim of a Spike Lee screwup.

(so far as I know he's not living there atm)

TheContact

I think unless people are vegan they have no say in what hunters do. Hunting can be a very good tool for conservation of animals. Having said that, this asshole lured out a protected animal that is very anti conservation and wasted the carcass by not using the meat and kept the head as a trophy. To claim he didn't know it was protected after it was lured out of a protected area is a horrendous lie. This guy should be forced to donate most of his life savings to the conservation of animals and never be allowed near any animal for the rest of his life including dogs and even a gold fish.

KC Denton

Plethodon cinereus is basically the Bill Cosby of salamanders.

I agree! The guy who killed this lion is a total asshole, I have more of a problem with people condemning all of hunting because of situations like this.
Oh yeah, the people condemning all hunters are definitely painting with too wide a brush.

I think unless people are vegan they have no say in what hunters do. Hunting can be a very good tool for conservation of animals. Having said that, this asshole lured out a protected animal that is very anti conservation and wasted the carcass by not using the meat and kept the head as a trophy. To claim he didn't know it was protected after it was lured out of a protected area is a horrendous lie. This guy should be forced to donate most of his life savings to the conservation of animals and never be allowed near any animal for the rest of his life including dogs and even a gold fish.
GTFO on that first sentence. That's complete bullshit. If you can see the difference I don't know what to tell you.

if you take satisfaction out of killing the animal, then yes. you are saying you take satisfaction out of saving the earth

if you enjoy killing animals something is wrong with you.

also if you enjoy killing humans for sport something is! didn't the iced tea movie teach us anything!

USC-fan

Banned
So this guy lives just a couple houses down from me and apparently Mia Farrow tweeted his address? Hope she got the numbers right and I'm not the victim of a Spike Lee screwup.

(so far as I know he's not living there atm)
Wow that scary. I would stay with family or friends.

That would freak me out.

RoKKeR

Can't you get that experience without killing for sport?

This...

Nature actually humbles you. Hunting forces a person to endure, to master themselves, even to truly get to know the wild environment.

...is absolutely hilarious to me after they used a fucking spotlight to kill Cecil. Piss off.

Fuck trophy hunters.

TheContact

GTFO on that first sentence. That's complete bullshit. If you can see the difference I don't know what to tell you.

Every day about 23 million chickens are killed for food. About 90k cows a day are killed for food. This doesn't include pig or sheep or the myriad of other meats we enjoy.

Besides that this particular lion shouldn't have been killed because it's anti conservation and the hunter obviously did it for the trophy since he didn't eat the meat, we can all agree that it was wrong, but anyone who eats meat is a hypocrite for being anti hunting in general

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom