• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Leaving you know who behind... One of the worst coaching moves in USA soccer history.

Zusi and bedoya were beyond horrid.

It's almost more unbelievable to me than Bradley's fuck up that you won't let this go. Donovan would not be playing over either of those two as they don't play the same position.

Jurgen made the right decision. He's had the tactics right in both games. I was disappointed he brought on Omar though. In retrospect I sort of predicted they'd score since I brought up when he was subbed in how we shipped a goal shortly after his last performance.

xbhaskarx - There was a decent feature on Sacramende Republic FC this morning on NPR. It was on the California Report via Morning Edition.

methodman

Banned
It's almost more unbelievable to me than Bradley's fuck up that you won't let this go. Donovan would not be playing over either of those two as they don't play the same position.

Jurgen made the right decision. He's had the tactics right in both games. I was disappointed he brought on Omar though. In retrospect I sort of predicted they'd score since I brought up when he was subbed in how we shipped a goal shortly after his last performance.
I was calling for MB being taken out for diskerud in the 80th minute. He was dead tired. Bringing on Omar was a mistake as well.

I hear the jury is still out on math
*high five*
So looking ahead, like way ahead: Tell me about Gedion Zelalem. I saw a highlight video of him and his passing skills seem really incredible. How does he compare to somebody like Julian Green and what are the chances that he picks the US over Germany like Green did.
Klinsmann & Co are making a big push to get him US eligible and involved with the program. Let's hope they're successful here, too, as he's skillful on the ball and a good passer. Like Green, he's young and very raw, so there's no telling how he'll develop. Also good that he's a pretty tall kid (6'1"?) even though he's really skinny right now. As others have mentioned, the first step is getting the passport situation worked out, and then we can worry about who he'll choose.
Great to hear about the tv numbers. As always, there's a huge bump in support during the WC that'll ebb once it's over, but if some of those people start following the USMNT regularly and show at some MLS games, we're on the right track.

zeigkg.gif

ALL THE SPACE IN THE WORLD.

Looking back at this, the ball bounced relatively close to Beckerman. He could've blasted it away.

gutshot

Great to hear about the tv numbers. As always, there's a huge bump in support during the WC that'll ebb once it's over, but if some of those people start following the USMNT regularly and show at some MLS games, we're on the right track.

We've already seen a few of those folks in this very thread. The growth is visible. It's very exciting.

daoster

America's team are very much alive by Roger Bennett Good article by Rog!

You know, if the Ghana game, with us scoring at the 85th minute to win it, showed our strength in character, then this upcoming Germany game, we're going to have to show that strength again, and then some.

The recovery time is less, so our players won't be as refreshed, and mentally, the team is going to have to very much put this draw (which for many of us fans, feels like a loss) behind them.

Thursday is gonna be fun.

Heretic

Going into this world cup I couldn't help but if Bradley had a bad game we'd be screwed. Ha! Jones has been a freaking BEAST. Johnson reminds me a lot of Cherundolo. Really liking him.

@thegoalkeeper said:
#USA vs. #POR will clear 20 million viewers. The only soccer broadcast in American history that has ever done that was the 2010 WC Final.

Boom. #USA #POR #USMNT RT @hispanic411: Most-viewed #USA match in FIFA World Cup history for Univision Deportes (6.5 million P2+)

daoster

Don't read this if you don't want to relive yesterday's draw: How The US Blew Its Greatest World Cup Opportunity In Just 55 Seconds

UGH. Logically, it was a decent result. If it was us in Portugal's position, we would have said that it was a great moment in our history (in fact, Portugal's result reminds me of U.S.' 2010 performance).

But emotionally, it felt so much like a loss. I really hope the players can just put it behind them, but they're human, and it's human nature to dwell on what could have been. I know personally, as a fan, I can't put it behind me.

At least until we beat Germany on Thursday.

Also, seriously US Soccer fans always seem to be out for blood on SOMEBODY. First it was Dempsey, then it was Altidore, now it's Bradley. I'm responsible for some of this hate too, but man, we are always out for blood on our own players.

NoRéN

what did gonzalez have to do with Bradley's giveaway?
Also, seriously US Soccer fans always seem to be out for blood on SOMEBODY. First it was Dempsey, then it was Altidore, now it's Bradley. I'm responsible for some of this hate too, but man, we are always out for blood on our own players.

Well, we want our country to be taken seriously, right? That's what happens. Spain is critical of their players when they fuck up. Brazil is critical, Germany is critical.

I mean, I guess we could baby them and tell them it's ok and they did their best when they fail at something.

daoster

NoRéN;117879281 said:
Well, we want our country to be taken seriously, right? That's what happens. Spain is critical of their players when they fuck up. Brazil is critical, Germany is critical.

I mean, I guess we could baby them and tell them it's ok and they did their best when they fail at something.

Or we could be like England, where it seems like the press and fans destroy whatever confidence players have over every single mistake.

I'm not saying we shouldn't criticize our own players. By all means, Bradley deserves the criticism for how he played at Ghana and how he gave yesterday's ball away for the tying goal, but at the same time, calling for Bradley to be benched? Really?

Who would replace him, and how would the team play without him? The team is almost built around Bradley.

Meier

NoRéN;117879281 said:
Nothing and nor did I suggest that he did in the post you quoted. I just told the people at my table that I was nervous when Gonzalez came in since he'd been so shit as of late. He came on against Nigeria and then promptly caused us to concede a penalty. I feel like he had another major defensive error in the send-off series too, didn't he?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NoRéN;117879281 said:

Outside of the give away and missed goal Bradley didn't have a bad game though. He just wasn't as perfect as we've come to expect him to be. He deserves to get shit for giving the ball away, but he didn't play badly enough to get benched.

Heretic

Or we could be like England, where it seems like the press and fans destroy whatever confidence players have over every single mistake.

I'm not saying we shouldn't criticize our own players. By all means, Bradley deserves the criticism for how he played at Ghana and how he gave yesterday's ball away for the tying goal, but at the same time, calling for Bradley to be benched? Really?

Who would replace him, and how would the team play without him? The team is almost built around Bradley.

It really is. Having Jones and Beckerman right behind is a clear indicator of this. Bradley has all the freedom in the world up front. Now we just need him to play like we know he can.

NoRéN

I was just talking to my buddy in Manchester about that. their press over there is crazy. But i definitely think they are the extreme in that regard. Makes no sense. Almost seems like they figure England bombing makes for better headlines so they tear them apart.

Bradley has been fucking up. Not up to the standard he set himself. His screw ups are costing points. Group stage, we can get away with that. Round of 16 and on, that's the type of shit that can shift momentum and send them home.

But, bench him? Fuck no! That's just crazy.
Nothing and nor did I suggest that he did in the post you quoted. I just told the people at my table that I was nervous when Gonzalez came in since he'd been so shit as of late. He came on against Nigeria and then promptly caused us to concede a penalty. I feel like he had another major defensive error in the send-off series too, didn't he?
Yeah, and what did all that have to do with this goal?
So he had lapses that led to goals in the friendlies.
I brought up when he was subbed in how we shipped a goal shortly after his last performance.
Somehow that means any goal conceded when he's on is magically his fault? He's a jinx! Keep him away from the field.
Outside of the give away and missed goal Bradley didn't have a bad game though. He just wasn't as perfect as we've come to expect him to be. He deserves to get shit for giving the ball away, but he didn't play badly enough to get benched.

It's a confidence thing for him. Did some dumb shit last game. Wasn't bad against Portugal but as soon as he kicked that easy goal straight at the defender his level of play went down. All he needs is a sweet assist or a goal and he's back! then, watch out Russia and France because that's who we are beating on our way to the Semis.

We've already seen a few of those folks in this very thread. The growth is visible. It's very exciting.

Like me.

I'm so nervous about this Germany game and it's only Monday.

I'm not nearly as nervous as I was for the other games. I really think we can do it.

And if not we put up a hell of a fight in a very tough group. It's not like we lost the group to like england or spain or something.

Great to hear those numbers.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
JUST QUALIFY FOR THE KNOCKOUT ROUNDS :(

I think we can do that. We've put up a hell of a fight until now, each performance has been better than the last. Everyone thought we'd be the whipping boy of this group, but here we are. The Germans are going to be tough, but after the last two games I think we're going to give them a damn good fight.

Meier

NoRéN;117884876 said:
Yeah, and what did all that have to do with this goal?
So he had lapses that led to goals in the friendlies.

Somehow that means any goal conceded when he's on is magically his fault? He's a jinx! Keep him away from the field.

Why is this even relevant? I didn't suggest that in the slightest bit. You have some strange misplaced aggression happening or something. I said when he came on over any other sub that it made me nervous since we'd played poor when he was in recently. Obviously we did again. Just an unlucky coincidence.

@Ben_Jata said:
#USA - Total Distance Covered (miles) in 2 games

Bradley: 15.5
Beckerman: 13.6
Johnson: 13.3
Jones: 13.2
Dempsey: 12.6
Beasley: 12.5
I checked last night after the game and noticed that Bradley ran about a mile more than anyone else other than Zusi in the match.

Too bad for us then.

Wouldn't surprise me if his fuck-ups cost us big time against Germany and put us out the 16.

He's not the only offender. There has been sloppy play across the board this tournament. He has to be out there and the entire team needs to improve. Amazing the US has 4 points when all I've heard for months is that they would have to play perfect games to get results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom