• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

Well Ronaldo's out and talking to the press, it sounds like we shouldn't count on Portugal putting up much of a fight. We're going to have to get a result against Germany.

They didn't even give a shit when they scored the equalizer. I mean, I know they are still a long shot to advance but jeez, you just saved your World Cup lives! Show a little bit of emotion, at least. But no, they had already given up on this WC by then. That's what makes this all the more painful.

Oozer3993

That Bradley giveaway was horribly reminiscent of Brek Shea giving away our spot in the Olympics a couple years ago.

I couldn't help but notice that Cristiano Ronaldo, with the game in balance, the ball at his feet, and only one defender between him and goal, crossed the ball. He is far from 100%. He was essentially a non-factor in this game and barely showed up against Germany. I can't shake the horrible feeling that Ghana is gonna demolish Portugal. Ronaldo's clearly not himself, Nani is playing like a ten year old, and everyone else it hurt. And Ghana has one more day of rest.

I have the awful, sinking feeling that the US just sealed their exit from the tournament. You never bet on a team that just suffered a gut punch. It never ends well.

42.3% to place 2nd, and 21.6% chance to place first is what its showing me. That is a 63.9% total. Wonder why its showing me different numbers than what you guys are seeing.

Those were the US's odds before the game. Have you refreshed the page (try Shift + F5 to wipe out anything in the cache from the page)?

By far the best sporting event I've ever been at. Hope you guys could hear our chants. Sadly, the Portuguese sing their chants beautifully. Put us to shame. God, that was magical

You guys were great! I could clearly hear U-S-A and I BELIEVE chants on TV throughout the game.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That Bradley giveaway was horribly reminiscent of Brek Shea giving away our spot in the Olympics a couple years ago.

I couldn't help but notice that Cristiano Ronaldo, with the game in balance, the ball at his feet, and only one defender between him and goal, crossed the ball. He is far from 100%. He was essentially a non-factor in this game and barely showed up against Germany. I can't shake the horrible feeling that Ghana is gonna demolish Portugal. Ronaldo's clearly not himself, Nani is playing like a ten year old, and everyone else it hurt. And Ghana has one more day of rest.

I have the awful, sinking feeling that the US just sealed their exit from the tournament. You never bet on a team that just suffered a gut punch. It never ends well.

If there was ever a team that could come back from a gut punch it's the US, shit we started playing better after Portugal scored. I think we can scrounge up a tie against Germany.

Those were the US's odds before the game. Have you refreshed the page (try Shift + F5 to wipe out anything in the cache from the page)?

Tried that and still shows the same 64% chance of US advancing. If those were the US odds before the game then clearly it just hasn't updated. I saw cornballers post of the twitter so surely those are the latest odds. 76% sounds a lot better than 64%. However, if they were running odds and simulations throughout the last game, I wonder what US's chance of advancing was in the 94th minute when US was up 2-1. I imagine it was something like 99.9% at one time

Playing not to lose. Prevent Defense. Tale as old as time. Not sure why we didnt try to score on those late counters.

But oh wait

Michael Bradley. derp derp derp.

Oozer3993

#IsThatYourAnalysis

Bradley now down to the level of Shea.

No, that's not what I'm saying. Functionally, it was very similar. Within the last ten seconds of an important game, with the US holding a lead they need to advance from their group, a US midfielder tries to hold the ball to pass to some one else, and gives it up, with the opposing team then almost immediately scoring. The circumstances and sequence of events were hauntingly similar. I wasn't drawing any parallels between the talent of the players.

Playing not to lose. Prevent Defense. Tale as old as time. Not sure why we didnt try to score on those late counters.

But oh wait

Because this is NOT American football. When you're winning with 10 minutes left, the smartest, most effective way to keep that lead is to pull everyone behind the ball. Committing men forward leaves you vulnerable to the counter attack. Which just so happens to be the thing Portugal is best at. That last goal happened specifically BECAUSE the US had too many people forward. If the US had actually played "prevent defense" they wouldn't have lost.

No, that's not what I'm saying. Functionally, it was very similar. Within the last ten seconds of an important game, with the US holding a lead they need to advance from their group, a US midfielder tries to hold the ball to pass to some one else, and gives it up, with the opposing team then almost immediately scoring. The circumstances and sequence of events were hauntingly similar. I wasn't drawing any parallels between the talent of the players.

I know. I get what you're saying. It's just funny how far Bradley's klout has fallen in general sentiment over the last two games.

woodchuck

But oh wait

No, the best option on those late counters is to take the ball to the corner flag like what yedlin eventually did

daoster

If there was ever a team that could come back from a gut punch it's the US, shit we started playing better after Portugal scored. I think we can scrounge up a tie against Germany.

As Rog from Men in Blazer says, America has the belief that when scored upon, they'll come back and win the game.

Also, this is Why I thought that Germany drawing Ghana was bad for us. Because Ghana will destroy Portugal, their pride is on the line.

What was up with the corners? Other than Jones' goal, our corners were fucking horrible.

Also, about Bradley... I mean he played a good game today... Good, not great, and certainly better than against Ghana, but that giveaway man... He may be the engine, but can't giveaway the ball like that, like seriously.

So, why I do I say that our 76 percent figure might slightly underestimate the Americans’ chances? One reason is technical rather than soccer-related: Our simulation was programmed to resolve ties beyond goals scored and goal differential randomly, rather than looking at head-to-head results, because the head-to-head tiebreaker so rarely comes into play. But if a Ghanaian win in Brasilia and an American loss in Recife come by exactly the same scoreline — e.g. Ghana 3, Portugal 2, and Germany 3, U.S. 2 — that would trigger the head-to-head tiebreaker. The probability of such an outcome is low, but it means the simulator has slightly underestimated the U.S.’s advancement prospects, perhaps by 1 or 2 percent.

Honestly a 1-0 result for Germany and a 1-0 result for Ghana would not be outlandish. I'm actually relieved to know USA would still move on if those scores were a result.

Mr.Mike

So I've decided to try and get into the MLS, since I've gotten so absorbed by the World Cup over my reading week. Specifically Toronto FC, as they're closest. And It seems like they're doing pretty well so far, which I admit I wasn't expecting, since I had heard they they were 'shit' before. I've been watching the recaps on TFC's site and it seems like good soccer. (Does anyone have a gif of Bradley tackling that ref?)

Although one thing that is kind of concerning is that a lot of Toronto FC's players are "on loan".

Nesotenso

And it seems like that out in the real world as well.

It seems like the only soccer team people know is LA Galaxy

well there are only a handful of us who frequent this thread. Like 50 or something. Try the forums on bigsoccer or the MLS subreddit. Maybe you can plan something and meet fellow supporters online.

don't know if there are Fire fans here on neogaf.

could try the mls subreddit and the Chicago Fire page there if you are not a member.
My father just went in on Orlando city tickets with a friend I don't live in Orlando any morenbut I'm now excited to visit my parents hahaql

xbhaskarx

I have defended Bradley plenty in 09, 10, 11, in previous US soccer threads. But when mistakes are made blame must be assigned. Sure on that final goal we could put some on Beasley or Cameron or maybe Omar, but:

Also shame about people calling about Bradley's head .

This team is supposed to depend on him as one of the best, most reliable, and smartest players.

Pause your DVR at 94:21, and Bradley has nobody within yards of him.
The ball is still in the Portuguese half without much hint of danger at 94:24. It's in the back of the U.S. net at 94:32.
Eight freaking seconds.

When the U-23s do that (I'm looking at you Brek Shea and Sean Johnson) in Olympic qualifying that's reason enough to be upset. But this is the World Cup and we should have been 100% through with six points from our first two games and a great opportunity to both rest some players and possibly avoid Belgium. Now, everything is back up in the air...

I'm not being negative, I think we'll get through, but that doesn't change the f-up we just witnessed.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That last goal wasn't only on Bradley. We had guys too far forward, people went unmarked, Ronaldo was left to make the cross with very little pressure. Bradley certainly screwed up, but it shouldn't have turned into a goal. Had everything else gone correctly we could have recovered. That last screw up was a team effort, Bradley just made the most visible contribution.

That last goal wasn't only on Bradley. We had guys too far forward, people went unmarked, Ronaldo was left to make the cross with very little pressure. Bradley certainly screwed up, but it shouldn't have turned into a goal. Had everything else gone correctly we could have recovered. That last screw up was a team effort, Bradley just made the most visible contribution.

Would you rather Beasley pressured him and got burned with Ronaldo charging into the box? Obviously someone should have defended the cross but Bradley fucked up.

Did anyone see Last Call on ESPN and Jeremy Schapp asking Bradley about that play. Bradley takes no blame and makes Congressmen proud with his double speak and generalities. So hard to watch.

cashman

Banned
So looking ahead, like way ahead: Tell me about Gedion Zelalem. I saw a highlight video of him and his passing skills seem really incredible. How does he compare to somebody like Julian Green and what are the chances that he picks the US over Germany like Green did.

Bradley takes no blame and makes Congressmen proud with his double speak and generalities. So hard to watch.
Completely disagree. The reporter sounded so awkward with his first question that I physically cringed. And I didn't hear any double speak: mistakes can happen at any time, as can good plays. But if you give your team any less than a full effort, you're letting them down. Bradley's mind has to be on executing in the Germany match and on nothing else. He'd be doing his team and country a disservice if he takes the blame.

And from a viewer's perspective, Bradley facilitated a lot of the chances the US had that made them look like the team in control. He deserved to be on the field.

Nesotenso

So looking ahead, like way ahead: Tell me about Gedion Zelalem. I saw a highlight video of him and his passing skills seem really incredible. How does he compare to somebody like Julian Green and what are the chances that he picks the US over Germany like Green did.

Coaches are recruiting him hard. The last update was that both he and his dad were trying to obtain their US passports. He actually has spent some time in the US playing here. Could go either way really between the US and Germany.

Toothpick

I've never felt such strong feelings of joy followed by a period of total devastation as I did from watching the end of this game. Now that the sad feels are over, still have faith in this American team to get to the final 16 #USA #USA #USA

but holy sh*t what a goal from Jones. Beautiful.

I was watching the game on ESPN at a Buffalo Wild Wings, but I had to check out the Univision Deportes spanish commentary and I was not disappointed lol

Jones goal on Univision

Gutted by the tie, but they showed us how good they can be. They linked together passes well, Fabian Johnson and Jermaine Jones as MOTM. Johnson was cruising down that right side and creating chance after chance. Via his run he'd either get a ball over to him or open up space for the man with the ball. For supposedly a failed German youth member, Johnson looked like Germany would want him back....

Bradley had another sub par game, but at least he was allowed to push forward a little more and create chances. Still much less from him than I expect. That giveaway at the end was a shame, and kind of sums up his tournament thus far. Hopefully the fire will return and we'll see the class he has against Germany.

What a cross by Ronaldo. Despite his floundering throughout the game, that was world class.

Zusi was the worst us player on the field. He was constrained the entire game. He has no left foot, look for a cross early in the first half. His corners were god awful. He attempted 1on1s and gave the ball away multiple times. Maybe I missed the times when he did well, but i think he just played himself out of a start against Germany.

I'm glad we have Tim Howard.

Besler did very well again. The guy has proved himself this tourny. Not world class, but he'll do.

Beasly looks like me when i switched to a wingback from the winger position. Rely on your speed instead of strong defensive capabilities. He's supposed to be doing the same things that Fabian Johnson is doing, but unfortunately has to defend much more because the other teams recognize him as the weak point. He's not nearly as bad as i thought after the Ghana Germany game proved that their right winger (afta? Apfel? I can't remember) was tearing up the Germany backs as well. He's serviceable but not ideal. We have no one to replace him.

Can't say much about Dempsey.

Can i say how much i love Fabian Johnson. I'm going to name a kid i adopt Fabian after that German American beauty. Portugal couldn't stop him.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?

He is way more talented than Julian and some people even consider him one of the best talents in the World in his age group. I haven't seen him play but I've only heard great things about him.

Tbh Julian Green isn't anything special and he wasn't heavily recruited by the Germans. I don't think he had the talent to be a part of the German team in the future so I can see why he chose the US but Zelalem on the other hand is one of the biggest talents in German Football and is being heavily recruited by them. He declined an invitation to the U17 European Championship by the Germans though so it really isn't that unrealistic that he chooses the US.

methodman

Banned
Leaving you know who behind... One of the worst coaching moves in USA soccer history.

Zusi and bedoya were beyond horrid. I will give credit to zusi for that assist, but otherwise if the ball ever went to him or bedoya in the run of play, it was a turnover. Every damn time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom