• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akim

Banned
Man. I miss playing. I just put on my gloves for the first time in a few years. Having them on felt so right. I wish I could play again.

Why can't you play? I just started playing keeper for my rec team, I need to invest in some gloves.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Why can't you play? I just started playing keeper for my rec team, I need to invest in some gloves.

Really? I haven't really played since High School, I wonder if there's a league near me...

EDIT: There is! Oh and they don't start until September! This gives me enough time to get back into shape. This is going to be fun.

gutshot

So I know SPI gives us about a 73% chance of advancing out of the group, but that number is skewed by the fact that it thinks Portugal is a better team than Ghana. I think we can all agree that Portugal is not only a worse team, they also have less to play for, so I don't see that game ending up in our favor. Which means we have to win or draw against Germany. Not an easy task.

I'd break it down like this:

75% chance we lose to Germany and Ghana beats Portugal
20% chance we lose to Germany and Ghana loses or draws
5% chance we beat or draw Germany

Yeah, I'm scared.

So I know SPI gives us about a 73% chance of advancing out of the group, but that number is skewed by the fact that it thinks Portugal is a better team than Ghana. I think we can all agree that Portugal is not only a worse team, they also have less to play for, so I don't see that game ending up in our favor. Which means we have to win or draw against Germany. Not an easy task.

I'd break it down like this:

75% chance we lose to Germany and Ghana beats Portugal
20% chance we lose to Germany and Ghana loses or draws
5% chance we beat or draw Germany

Yeah, I'm scared.

Less to play for, I don't know. The last second tying goal might've invigorated them

The seams in the ball create a pressure differential between the "inside" and the "outside" sides measured by the rotation of the ball. This creates turbulence, which makes a tunnel in pressure path for the ball to travel through.

It's all given by how much spin is induced by the kick. Give it too much spin and it will bend earlier, giving an easy catch for the GK. Don't give it enough spin and it will not bend.

The best kicks are those that induce an accelerating spin because from the GK's Point of View the ball is going straight but the spin takes off in the middle of the trajectory and bends in, changing direction in mid air.

Such a beauty

Had no idea. That's incredible.

Thanks for the clear explanation. Appreciate it.

gutshot

Less to play for, I don't know. The last second tying goal might've invigorated them

Ronaldo didn't sound so invigorated in his post game press conference. It sounded like he had already given up on this World Cup run. Now maybe, if Portugal can get an early goal, they will think they have a shot and play hard the full 90 mins. But if Ghana scores early or it remains scoreless for a while, I see Portugal becoming less and less interested and Ghana scoring a bunch late in the game (the way Mexico did against Croatia).

- Full injury report
“Jozy is recovering really well. He’s doing a tremendous job there,” Klinsmann said. “Our medical staff is on top of it. This game comes still too early for him. But we’re working on him.

“We’ll get him back in this tournament as we said. Once this game, hopefully, is done successfully, we’ll have a good chance to have him back in the team.”

Whether or not that optimism is founded in fact or not, it’s likely the US will be field the five-man midfield that worked so well against Portugal against the Germans in a match that will determine whether Altidore has a chance to return at all.

Klinsmann also addressed the health of defender Matt Besler, who left the Ghana match at halftime with right hamstring tightness. That tightness briefly forced him off the field in the second half against Portugal, but Klinsmann said Besler, who trained with the team on Tuesday, shouldn’t face any restrictions.

Heretic

So we keep the same line up and hope that every one steps up. I was all doom and gloom after the Portugal draw but I'm hopeful that we'll get out of the group stages.

Osorio

Expected but Henry will be back for the Toronto game this Friday. I expect Cahill to be in the starting lineup as well since he didn't play against Spain.

Daigoro

Bq29ibaCQAEBduQ.jpg

We could etch dos a cero into World Cup history

Dos a Cero is world cup history.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dos...l5.1989j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Daigoro

giving up that late goal the other day was really hard to swallow. fucks with me every time i think about it.

im still trying to remain optimistic about getting out of the group. it can happen, but we could have made things so much less difficult on ourselves.

really nervous, but excited for Germany. nerves kicking in a bit too early here. gotta occupy my mind with some other world cup action. todays games should be good.

hurry up Thursday.

really suck about Jozy. that was the worst moment when he pulled up lame during the first game... hopefully healthy for the round of 16? that'd be nice.

Mully

NoRéN;117966020 said:
You mind sharing why you don't play anymore?

Had about 12-14 concusssions by the time I ended my freshman year while playing in college. Doctors warned me if I took a few more blows to the head, I'd have brain damage. On top of that, I tore my ACL late last year.

If you're starting out as a goalkeeper, the best advice I can give to you is to trust yourself. Don't think, just do. Having confidence in your decisions is key to making a save. If you constantly reacess what you're going to do you will freeze. All of the techniques for saving certain shots will come with time and practice.

Nesotenso

Just saw the highlights of Uruguay-Italians. Glad European teams are getting knocked out but what the hell is with Suarez and this urge to bite someone? Why is it such a reflex action with him?

daoster

With Ivory Coast knocked out, I wonder if Ghana is determined to fight on for the pride of being the best African team.

Lets go USA. Beat Germany.

Think positive thoughts.

We've beaten Germany before, we can do it again.

Yes, I know it was their C team, but fuck it they wear the same kits and they get paid too, damnit!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I have a 1 day a week summer class that starts on Thursday at 9am. No way I can skip. Gutted.

Can you use a laptop? If not maybe just keep your phone in your lap with the game on. If you're ok with being totally irresponsible though.

Had about 12-14 concusssions by the time I ended my freshman year while playing in college. Doctors warned me if I took a few more blows to the head, I'd have brain damage. On top of that, I tore my ACL late last year.

If you're starting out as a goalkeeper, the best advice I can give to you is to trust yourself. Don't think, just do. Having confidence in your decisions is key to making a save. If you constantly reacess what you're going to do you will freeze. All of the techniques for saving certain shots will come with time and practice.

Yikes, that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

NoRéN

Damn, dude. Sorry to hear that.

Mully

NoRéN;118088834 said:
Damn, dude. Sorry to hear that.

Yikes, that sucks. Sorry to hear that.

Thanks for the support. It's been difficult over the past four years, but you find new hobbies, and appreciate the ones you can't participate directly in even more.

With that said, when my knee is 100% I'd really like to join an intrumural league. See where I am.

If I were still teaching, and I had a class scheduled during that game, there is a 100% chance it would be on the projector during class. Even if it were finals week. I did this during two previous world cups (the US wasn't even playing).

How is the first class unskippable?

That's the best class to skip.

seriously. I'm gonna have to miss the first and second day of classes due to a wedding in the fall and im alright

that said it's the only class i'm required to take and i'm a senior so my ability to give a fuck is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom