• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodchuck

What's with the Bradley hate?

He got unlucky on one chance. Besides that, he was the motor of the midfield tonight.

There were other instance in the 2nd half. He had some errant short passes, the give away at the end, the bad decision on the 4 on 3 counter

Chris R

Bradley hate is deserved. Dude should have been subbed off when he was "hurt".

Fuck, were going to blow this and get sent home Thursday :|

Oozer3993

So if Ghana wins by a minimum of two AND the USA loses by a minimum of two then we're out...

I believe.

Ghana can win by 1 and move on. If they win by 1, and the US loses by one, and Ghana ends up with more goals scored than the US, then Ghana is through and the US is out.

gutshot

I stil can't believe that happened. I was ready to explode and run around the house screaming, instead I sat on the floor in stunned disbelief.

I never thought I'd type this but Jermaine Jones is outplaying Michael Bradley at this World Cup. And it's not even close. Jones was a force all night. And that goal was a thing of beauty. Bradley had a couple of nice balls over the top, but he missed a sitter and had a number of bad giveaways again, none worse than that last one. I'm not saying you bench him, but he has played very poorly in this tournament.

I know all is not lost and we still have a chance of making it through. But this would have been a huge statement win! And we would have had a good chance of winning the group and playing a very weak Russian or Algerian team in the knockout. 30 FUCKING SECONDS! ARGH!

I just have a really, really bad feeling that Ghana is going to knock us out of a third straight World Cup. God, I hope I'm wrong!

Heretic

I understand the need to open up the field and pass it way back but I think they do it too much. Let's get some balls in the box and maybe one will connect. We're too mechanical out there. I've always felt this way.

Bradley was better. Horrible give away at the end. He obviously needs to start. Sad thing is two of our most solid players Cameron and Bradley made huge mistakes that led to goals. They will be better and we should be happy with positive results in both games considering how people played.

I don't necessarily subscribe to the thought that Ghana will automatically destroy Portugal. Portugal has goal differential worries and will be flying out of the gate. If they get an early goal on Ghana (sound familiar) things could get very interesting.

Nesotenso

I stil can't believe that happened. I was ready to explode and run around the house screaming, instead I sat on the floor in stunned disbelief.

I never thought I'd type this but Jermaine Jones is outplaying Michael Bradley at this World Cup. And it's not even close. Jones was a force all night. And that goal was a thing of beauty. Bradley had a couple of nice balls over the top, but he missed a sitter and had a number of bad giveaways again, none worse than that last one. I'm not saying you bench him, but he has played very poorly in this tournament.

I know all is not lost and we still have a chance of making it through. But this would have been a huge statement win! And we would have had a good chance of winning the group and playing a very weak Russian or Algerian team in the knockout. 30 FUCKING SECONDS! ARGH!

I just have a really, really bad feeling that Ghana is going to knock us out of a third straight World Cup. God, I hope I'm wrong!
thank god we have some level headed assessment of Bradley's play.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Would you take him if he was healthy enough to be a sub off the bench in the second half?

Unless we absolutely need him, I'd rather have him heal fully and be ready to go in the knockout stage. After tonight I think we can manage a draw against Germany without him.

also how much of a stud is Besler? Will someone come knocking for him even though he is already 27?

Someone's got to offer him something, you can't just play the way he has and have everyone ignore you. He's still got a few good years left in him.

SON OF A BITCH!!!

woodchuck

man, i'm still in shock. what a game. these guys are going to be exhausted come thursday against germany. Unfortunately, both germany/ghana have an extra day of rest and didn't just play in fucking manaus. god damn, i'm worried about ghana.

but at least we have a competent manager. thought he got our formation right. and yedlin was a great sub.

man, i'm still in shock. what a game. these guys are going to be exhausted come thursday against germany. Unfortunately, both germany/ghana have an extra day of rest and didn't just play in fucking manaus. god damn, i'm worried about ghana.

but at least we have a competent manager. thought he got our formation right. and yedlin was a great sub.

Brooks was the game winning goal scorer against Ghana and Yedlin was instrumental in the second goal against Portugal. Both subs.

Maybe Klinsmann knows a thing or two about this managing thing after all.

RELAYER

Banned
The great Michael Bradley ladies and gents, best American player

ibxCe38W9Y1Cmb.gif

Loxley

Hey guys, I just found this thread after posting in the WC thread(s) all week. I'm very new to the sport, but have been greatly enjoying the World Cup thus far. I consider myself pretty heavily invested at this point and am going to try and make it a point to pay attention to MLS (and worldwide soccer in general) going forward.

I have a couple of questions:

- What is typically the MLS "season?"
- How does the World Cup change or alter the usual MLS/football schedule (a normal year versus a WC year)?
- How are team members chosen for the WC team? Is it just picking the best of the best from MLS based on performance?
- Is the World Cup the only time when countries square-off against each other as opposed to just city teams?
- With regards to MLS, which teams are considered to be the top dogs? I'm guessing the L.A. Galaxy is one of them since they're pretty much the only MLS team I'd heard of prior to the WC coverage.

I know I could just Google search all of these, but I figure if I'm going to actually pay attention to soccer now - I might as well interface with GAF's community.

ZZMitch

Man what a deflating goal. We still have a very good chance to advance though so all is not lost. Makes the game on Thursday more meaningful, which is okay since I got work off for it heh.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Hey guys, I just found this thread after posting in the WC thread(s) all week. I'm very new to the sport, but have been greatly enjoying the World Cup thus far. I consider myself pretty heavily invested at this point and am going to try and make it a point to pay attention to MLS (and worldwide soccer in general) going forward.

- How does the World Cup change or alter the usual MLS/football schedule (a normal year versus a WC year)?
- How are team members chosen for the WC team? Is it just picking the best of the best from MLS based on performance?
- Is the World Cup the only time when countries square-off against each other as opposed to just city teams?
- With regards to MLS, which teams are considered to be the top dogs? I'm guessing the L.A. Galaxy is one of them since they're pretty much the only MLS team I'd heard of prior to the WC coverage.

I know I could just Google search all of these, but I figure if I'm going to actually pay attention to soccer now - I might as well interface with GAF's community.

1. The MLS season is currently ongoing, on break for the group stage of the World Cup.
2. It goes on break for the group stage, but other than that it doesn't change much.
3. The US National team can pick anyone who has US citizenship and isn't already on another national team. Generally, yes, the best from MLS do get called up. Though not all the best get called up.
4. There are international friendlies, tournaments--like the Gold Cup, and the World Cup Qualifying tournament. So nations do square off outside of the World Cup, just not as often.
5. Well, LA Galaxy, NY Red Bulls, Seattle Sounders, really the only team that sucks donkey balls is Chivas.

Don't be this dumb....

You can't be...

He's trolling, ignore him.

zeigkg.gif

ALL THE SPACE IN THE WORLD.

Looks like he had a bad touch. The ball bounces in front of him, he tries to bring it under control and it gets stripped before he can.

Loxley

1. The MLS season is currently ongoing, on break for the group stage of the World Cup.
2. It goes on break for the group stage, but other than that it doesn't change much.
3. The US National team can pick anyone who has US citizenship and isn't already on another national team. Generally, yes, the best from MLS do get called up. Though not all the best get called up.
4. There are international friendlies, tournaments--like the Gold Cup, and the World Cup Qualifying tournament. So nations do square off outside of the World Cup, just not as often.
5. Well, LA Galaxy, NY Red Bulls, Seattle Sounders, really the only team that sucks donkey balls is Chivas.

He's trolling, ignore him.

Thanks man :)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Thanks man :)

No problem, someone did it for me when I came along. If you can you really should go to a game, the atmosphere in a lot of the stadiums is amazing. I've seen pretty much every sport live in the US and nothing has beaten MLS, except seeing the US Men's National team live.

Nesotenso

- MLS season lasts from March to November. We are one of the few leagues in the world with this schedule and plays through the summer. Scandinavia does this as well as do some East Asian leagues. The reason is our harsh winters.
European leagues last from August till May

-For the first group stages, like what is going on right now, MLS takes two weeks off. The league starts off again next weekend.

-Choosing from the MLS and whatever leagues Americans are playing. As a nation we have this challenge of monitoring players in a number of leagues.

-no there are other international tournaments, some are FIFA organised ones, the olympics and the continental championships. Our region CONCACAF has the gold cup every 2 years. Outside of world cup, the European championships are the biggest deal because the consensus is that they have the best leagues.

-The great thing about the MLS is that there is a lot of parity and our unique structure of playoffs in the post season make it difficult for one club to dominate for a long time.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Well Ronaldo's out and talking to the press, it sounds like we shouldn't count on Portugal putting up much of a fight. We're going to have to get a result against Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom