• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

Yesh. 1-3. Looks like we're done with our Open Cup run already. :/
I'm just hoping we can pull out a similar result on our home turf with more of our A squad on the field. Correct me if I'm wrong, but... that was probably the SKC squad we'll see on Friday, right? Everyone else is either injured or in Brazil, I think...

Wow, the Carolina Railhawks might pull it off against the Galaxy again.

Edit: And they did. Amazing performance.

....with Landycakes?

For fucks sake Donovan, Ive been defending you all month.

Also, the Suarez headline is in every major newspaper, including rags like the NYT which usually bury soccer news. Apparently even NFL TV devoted time to talk about.

Good or bad for the sport?

Askani

I'm just hoping we can pull out a similar result on our home turf with more of our A squad on the field. Correct me if I'm wrong, but... that was probably the SKC squad we'll see on Friday, right? Everyone else is either injured or in Brazil, I think...

Probably pretty close to it. Shouldn't be any real differences.

Also, apparently there's a meltdown in the Atlanta Silverbacks and Rapids Open Cup game? 7 red cards issued to players and coaches. Atlanta down 2 men. Somehow still leading 2-1.

Nesotenso

....with Landycakes?

For fucks sake Donovan, Ive been defending you all month.

Also, the Suarez headline is in every major newspaper, including rags like the NYT which usually bury soccer news. Apparently even NFL TV devoted time to talk about.

Good or bad for the sport?

well people are talking about soccer in the US media...
progress I guess.
Now we need more people who know what they are talking about.
Yesh. 1-3. Looks like we're done with our Open Cup run already. :/

SKC just didn't have it tonight. Open Cup is the easiest way to get a CCL berth and we didn't have it.

hom3land

Was at the carolina vs galaxy game. Holy shit. First half reminded me of when I play fifa as a championship team vs Barcelona. The opponent is just always a bit faster and constantly felt like your facing 13 men. But, as the game wore on it slowly switched to our advantage. Goodwin in goalie and king in defense played out of their mind.

Was great seeing the casual fans that came to cheer on landon switch to cheering their local team as our momentum grew. Hope a few come back for the next game.

- The Shin Guardian's US - Germany preview

One guess at the lineup:

u5oIC3v.png

Bedoya looked pretty gassed in both games, so I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't going to get the start. Zusi looked pretty terrible on the ball, but he seemed to do well allowing Fabian to bomb forward. If Klinnsman starts him, please God stop letting Zusi do corners.

Bedoya looked pretty gassed in both games, so I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't going to get the start. Zusi looked pretty terrible on the ball, but he seemed to do well allowing Fabian to bomb forward. If Klinnsman starts him, please God stop letting Zusi do corners.

Who else would you want to do corners though?

Besides, the Brooks goal came on a Zusi corner.

Greg Seltzer on Besler interest abroad:
You may recently have seen any number of European clubs - QPR, Cardiff and Club Brugge to name a few - linked with hot chases for Sporting KC defender/World Cup beast Matt Besler in recent days or weeks. I even had birdies try to tip me about the two EPL sides listed above.

Please feel perfectly free to disregard all of these alleged suitors. I can tell you that several teams are interested in the USMNT ace, but not a single one has been publicly outed anywhere on Earth to date.

Who else would you want to do corners though?

Besides, the Brooks goal came on a Zusi corner.

very possible it was just a one game funk from Zusi, but I have not been impressed with him at all through the WC warmups and WC games. Probably just selective memory and simply noticing the bad moments.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
very possible it was just a one game funk from Zusi, but I have not been impressed with him at all through the WC warmups and WC games. Probably just selective memory and simply noticing the bad moments.

Zusi is usually very good with corners, last game seems like an aberration.

I don't get people who just get a thrill out of saying soccer still isn't popular. The Atlantic article seemed really lazy and not well though out, it made it seem like soccer = MLS not international matches, smaller leagues, Liga MX, Premier League, La Liga, etc. It also doesn't count the fact the MLS has had horrible promotion and TV deals that is changing with ESPN and Fox's new deal. Nee players entering (villa, kaka) It doesn't highlight the popularity of soccer merchandize, the FIFA video game (isnt it second to madden?) Etc. It seems to have had a chosen contrary conclusion and found stuff that fit that

Askani

Ghana Sends Plane With $3 Million to Calm World Cup Team

Ghana has sent a plane carrying more than $3 million in cash to Brazil to pay the World Cup appearance fees owed to the national soccer team, known as the Black Stars.

“The players insisted that they will want physical cash,” Deputy Sports Minister Joseph Yammin said in comments broadcast by Accra-based Citi FM. “Government had to mobilize the money and a chartered flight to Brazil. The money is in excess of $3 million.”

More at link: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...with-3-million-to-calm-world-cup-team-1-.html

Dartastic

I know it's like, MURICA time and all, but THE TIMBERS SIGNED A NEW CB FROM THE EPL YAYYYYY HOPEFULLY HE'S NOT SHIT.

...anyone know anything about Liam Ridgewell?

Askani

As a friend of mine quipped, this sounds like the plot of a bad action movie.

The tag line for this has to be "Tonight, we Ghana get paid."

Welp, so much for that dream.

Cash though? Seriously? What are they going to do? Buy drugs and hookers? Scrooge McDuck style swimming pool filled with money?

I guess if you're dealing with corrupt people or organization, money talks. Too many things can "happen" with electronic currency.

Oozer3993

Tomorrow's game completely, totally, absolutely terrifies me. There's not a single position on the field where Germany is not stronger than Portugal (maybe Ronaldo, but with his poor showing so far that's iffy). And despite controlling the game against Portugal, we still only emerged with a draw. Not to mention, teams almost never come back from gut punches like that game in Manaus. The past couple days nearly every positive I come up with about this upcoming match can be flipped into a negative.

Positive: The defense has only really had four bad mistakes and the US is unlucky that their opponent has scored on three of them.

Negative: It's not like Germany needs the US to make a bad mistake to score.

Positive: The US beat Ghana and drew Portugal with their most important player, Michael Bradley, not playing his best.

Negative: He's gonna need to be his old incredible self against the likes of Lahm and Khedira.

Positive: The US can get through with a loss.

Negative: That requires Ghana to not blow out Portugal. The same Portugal who looked terrible against Germany and barely much better against the US. I can't imagine Ghana not winning by two goals.

There's one positive for the US that gives me hope though: We should be far more desperate than Germany. They're though and win the group with a draw. If they have the lead late in the game, does anyone really think they're going to be tenaciously defending it? The US will be going full tilt to equalize and I just don't see Germany matching that effort to keep the lead. For the Germans, you'd think it would be more important to save some strength and not risk an injury than to go all out to defend in that situation.

And there's the chance, while remote, that Ronaldo gets pissed at all the adoration Messi is getting (especially after his two goal game today) and decides to assert his dominance over Ghana. For once, I am rooting FOR his arrogance.

P.S. I'm not worried about the "Manaus Curse." The US players are used to playing in conditions fairly similar to those in Manaus in MLS and CONCACAF qualifying. The players didn't look unusually tired at the end of the game. And the other four teams that played there looked bad in every game, not just the one after their game in Manaus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom