• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
4th of July message from US Soccer

YwGF76U.png

daegan

So I obviously missed out on lots of discussion and would hate to bring up something thats prob been discussed ad nauseum, but, what was the general consensus here about Landon being left off the US squad? What's the general feeling here regarding Klinsmann?

People who don't know what they're talking about will be all "Landon would have buried that chance Wondo missed!" These individuals, while their heart is in the right place, forget that 2014 Landon is not 2009-2010 Landon (not that Wondo is what he was two years ago either), and that the particular kind of chance was ready-made for Wondo. It is literally the kind of chance he makes most of the time.

REALLY out of touch people think Landon could've played in place of Jozy, forgetting again that he is not a target forward nor is 2014 Landon always capable of holding the ball up against world-class opposition.

Essentially Klinsmann would have had to have totally different tactics to fit Landon into this team, and that's clear now.

I don't presume to speak for anyone else re: Klinsmann, but I don't think the 2010 team makes it through that group (and the 2006 team definitely doesn't). I would've liked to see Diskerud on the field, especially vs Belgium. I loved hearing him curse about the one minute of stoppage. I didn't have too many problems with his roster and I'm glad that many pundits were wrong about Yedlin, Brooks and Green. I'm excited to see how we handle the next four years, because we should have a lot of competitions leading up to Russia.

Oh - but none of that matters if we don't make it to the quarterfinals in Russia. :)

Meier

For fuck's sake, Michel finally comes back and plays, gets a CS.. on my bench. I put him in, he doesn't start. What the fuuuuuck, lol.

Dartastic

This team man. This fucking team. Ugh. Tonight I realized that it might not matter even if we do get a new quality CB... if he's not a leader, that's a real problem. We need a LEADER in the back. Our backline is absolutely awful right now.
That was a fun ending!

Galaxy 2 - 2 Timbers
No it wasn't. ;_;

Need to figure out some way to watch the Sounders game tomorrow. I'm down in LA and it doesn't look like it's on national TV. Wonder if there's a Sounders bar near my parents' house...

Osorio

CCL Schedule for Metro:

* Tuesday, Aug. 26, 8 p.m. – Red Bulls (USA) vs. CD FAS (El Salvador) – Red Bull Arena (Harrison, N.J.)

* Wednesday, Sept. 17, 8 p.m. – Red Bulls at Montreal Impact – Stade Saputo (Montreal, Canada)

* Wednesday, Sept. 24, 10 p.m. – Red Bulls at CD FAS – Estadio Cuscatlan (San Salvador, El Salvador)

* Wednesday, Oct. 22, 8 p.m. – Red Bulls vs. Montreal Impact – Red Bull Arena (Harrison, N.J.)

With this kind of schedule in the month of September

9/6: vs. Sporks
9/10 vs. DC
9/13: @ Philly
9/17: @L'Impact
9/20: vs. Seattle
9/24: @ FAS
9/28: @ LA

I said goddamn

Askani

"@MLSTransfers: Source: SC Freiburg plan on putting a bid in for Matt Besler. Scouting him to be spot starter CB. £3.9M value being talked about. #SKC #MLS"

Meier

Canada continuing to lose players to other national teams.

Sigh...

https://twitter.com/LegionChilena/status/485222054602768387

Marcel Cerminara ‏@marcelcerminara 16h
@LegionChilena @marcobustos10 shameful to turn your back on a country that has given you everything and continues to do so

Pedro Da Cunha ‏@pedrodacunha1 15h
@marcelcerminara @LegionChilena @marcobustos10 That's right. If you choose Chile over Canada then go live in Chile. We don't want traders.

Struggle on Seon ‏@StruggleonSeon 13h
@LegionChilena @marcobustos10 man that is so lame, the caps should cut him loose. Go find a club in Chile

Nesotenso

"@MLSTransfers: Source: SC Freiburg plan on putting a bid in for Matt Besler. Scouting him to be spot starter CB. £3.9M value being talked about. #SKC #MLS"

I don't think that twitter account is very reliable. Having said that Matt deserves a better payday and if he can leave for Europe and compete their for a starting spot then he should go.

gutshot

So what do you guys think will happen with Altidore this summer? I had hoped a strong World Cup campaign would convince Sunderland to insert him back into the full squad or, if they want to move on no matter what, a strong suitor would emerge as a transfer option. Obviously, that idea is now out the window.

So do you think he will stay with the Black Cats? Or will they sell him and just take what they can get?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
So what do you guys think will happen with Altidore this summer? I had hoped a strong World Cup campaign would convince Sunderland to insert him back into the full squad or, if they want to move on no matter what, a strong suitor would emerge as a transfer option. Obviously, that idea is now out the window.

So do you think he will stay with the Black Cats? Or will they sell him and just take what they can get?

Can he go on loan to MLS? It would probably be a good idea to get him some minutes in the off-season considering what a disaster his Cup was.

As far as Sunderland goes from what the coach said before the Cup they want to give him another year to see if he can produce results for them.

Are you in the us? Pick a team you can actually see in person

I'm in Brazil :p

Yes! And we just signed Kaka and the owner is really trying to reach out to brazil and portuguese speakers (I think we have some agreements with Benfica and Sao Paulo). They've been really great in their league even if its the 3rd tier.

Are you Brazilian?

Yep, I'm brazilian.

Congrats for hiring Kaka, it was a good acquisition. I just hope he gets motivated to play. He will play this year on his home club Sao Paulo F.C so I suppose he will arrive on U.S in proper shape.

xbhaskarx

Greg Seltzer: USMNT Player Ratings (overall tournament grades)

http://mlssoccer.com/worldcup/2014/...-julian-green-nab-high-marks-overall-tourname

Coach Jurgen Klinsmann (6.5) - And now we arrive at the most difficult rating to formulate, with layers upon layers of factors to weigh. On the down side, his wing choices offered only stray sparks until Green finally emerged (a problem that may never have been if he'd started Yedlin all along).

Nevertheless, the coach's subs had plenty of impact and the defense stood up quite well considering the volume of attack they faced. Training questions aside, one likely cannot ding Klinsi when troublesome injuries occur, but an overall World Cup grade means his selection fully comes back into play here. Some will scoff or even spit, but the lack of at least one of confident ideas man -- Landon Donovan or a back-up power forward -- hurt the team to the end, forcing the back to take the aforementioned heavy load under added pressure. The same might be said for sticking with three holding-type midfielders so long in the knockout match while Mix Diskerud whittled wood in the dugout. At times, the team played above the coaching decisions.

Klinsmann did accomplish a lot, even beyond reaching a Round-of-16 thriller. The US now plays out of the back, they now can own 54 percent of the ball against Belgium. Unfortunately, they often stalled in the attack end and left with perhaps a little less glory than they could have achieved. The program remains in "one to grow on" territory after his first World Cup as US boss, but with a sunny forecast (and some seasoned starlets) for the next cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom