• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'd be nice if he could turn his career around. AZ Alkmaar has been pretty good for US players, here's hoping it goes well.

The fact that he couldn't get on with Bob Bradley at Stabaek gives me pause, but I'm rooting for him.

He never had a chance to meet the unreal expectations that the American soccer body set for him but he's still young enough to where if he puts the work he can still salvage a decent pro career.

And who knows, Russia is a whole four years away.

Wtf?

What channel would that be?

telemundo

I think the NBC streams were blocked during the Olympics but I don't remember the stuff on NBC OTA being blocked. And I think its also a time for NBC to show off telemundo because I think it lags behind Univision especially in sports

but lol at james' constant doomsday's.

xbhaskarx

The latest on Shawn Parker, now with Augsburg:

Shawn, two hearts beat beneath your chest, as you have both German and American nationalities. Were you sad when the US was knocked out by Belgium?

Yes, it was too bad, but it was clear to see that the Belgians had a lot more quality. I hoped it'd turn out like the Ghana match, but it wasn't to be.

Your experience with the German youth national teams speaks to your great potential. Which "A" national team do you hope to play for?

Right now I'm concerned with playing well for FC Augsburg, and the rest will come.

USAprospects

Continue to hear that Klinsmann would like to get new FC Augsburg striker Shawn Parker in the #USMNT pool. Parker very interested in USA

In other news:

J.R. Eskilson ‏@JREskilson

Joshua Pynadath accepted an invite to return to Real Madrid's academy for next season, his father told TDS. His 2nd season with Madrid.

Osorio

In other news:

J.R. Eskilson ‏@JREskilson

Joshua Pynadath accepted an invite to return to Real Madrid's academy for next season, his father told TDS. His 2nd season with Madrid.

That youtube video of him makes him look like a baby Ronaldinho

I hope he doesn't pull a Rossi on us.

Lol, only like 1.5 million people watched on Univision streams. And there will be plenty of illegal streams to fill the void.

Closer to 2 million.

Also univision is available ota in more markets than telemundo.

And univision has forty years of experience airing the cup.

Jeff Lemieux ‏@jeff_lemieux 4m
(1/2) Sounds like both teams wanted to stream tonight, but US Soccer required game be streamed w/ an incompatible graphics package. #NERevs

Jeff Lemieux ‏@jeff_lemieux 1m
(2/2) A request to stream tonight's game w/out the graphics package (only way it could've been done) was denied. So no stream. #NERevs

I cant even

NoRéN

Closer to 2 million.

Also univision is available ota in more markets than telemundo.

And univision has forty years of experience airing the cup.
And telemundo doesn't have the Primer Impacto ladies looking all good. :(
Mix Diskerud is rumored to be heading to Celtic. Stars and Stripes FC seems to think this is a bad move, but I like it. At least he will get some Champions League experience.

Diskerud can play in a more competitive league. He deserves better.

xbhaskarx

Updated 2018 player pool list:

q3agjzA.png

alstein

Curious- do you think the World Cup would benefit from some sort of use of MLS's review of flopping incidents- maybe giving retroactive yellows/reds instead of fines? I think the threat of suspension would cut down on some of that stuff.

xbhaskarx

TopDrawerSoccer: A U.S. YNT World Cup Best XI

With the U.S. adventure in Brazil over, the spyglass swings to newer shores, younger players, more exciting ventures. And in this case, there’s plenty to be excited about. The current crop of attacking players currently in YNT setups in the U.S. is among the best ever produced, which is evidenced by the names missing from the list you’re about to see. No Haji Wright. No Emerson Hyndman. No Kyle Gruno. No Junior Flores. No Luca de la Torre. No Nick Taitague. Not a bad bench.

So what would a U.S. cross-age YNT Best XI (that is, only players U20 eligible and younger and who haven’t yet been cap-tied to the senior team) look like if you’re projecting a future World Cup roster? Maybe something like this.

best-YNT-XI.jpg

This is all projection, so take it for what it is – it isn’t gospel. But it’s fun to put these pieces in place, and we may even hit on a few for 2018 and beyond. The youngest on this list is West Brom youth defender Danny Barbir, who’ll be just 20 by Russia 2018. Assuming he can keep climbing the ladder in the same way he has, he’ll be 24 by the time 2022 rolls around. Could well be in the U.S.

Gallardo (U17), Perez (U17), Arriola (U20), Barbir (U17), Requejo Jr. (U20) and Rubin (U20) all play abroad. Notably, three play in Mexico, Arriola and Requejo Jr. both with Xolos. Steffen is currently the U20 backstop of choice and the top netminder for Maryland, while Moore, Allen and Palmer-Brown all appear to be on MLS tracks for now. Pulisic, who’s been rumored to be in for a move to Europe soon, is the wild card. A pure attacking No. 10 with skill for days, he could soon cash in on a move across the ocean to a Big Club.

I’ve already waxed poetic about Gallardo and Pulisic, but there’s plenty of skill here. Josh Perez, the nephew of former U.S. World Cup creator Hugo Perez, has played with the U17s on the left and been a torrential flood of creativity. Requejo Jr. is an honest-to-goodness left back, while Shaq Moore is a YNT veteran with the ability to sit in front of the rearguard and distribute.

gutshot

barcastuff @barcastuff
After move to Qatar got complicated, Barcelona midfielder Xavi (34) would now be close to joining American club New York City. [catradio]

David Villa and Xavi to reunite in MLS?

On the Yedlin front, Sky Sports is reporting that Roma, Napoli and Anderlecht have all made firm offers for the player.

Meier

Barbir was at Man City for a period but sadly he didn't make the grade and is now at West Brom. Would have been neat to see him come through -- he's an absolute giant for his age. We do have another young American in our academy.. forget his name/role though.

xbhaskarx

“I’m five-foot-nine and weight less than 150 pounds, and not fast,” Shipp said bluntly. “I wasn’t blessed with athletic ability and natural ability. For me it’s just working hard and developing technical skills. When I was younger, I was always the smallest kid. I was five foot in high school and probably weighed 100 pounds. It was one of those things where I was never picked for youth national teams because I just didn’t have the physical abilities that other kids had.”

“Right now it’s paying off because I was really forced to think through games and become a student of the game. It’s all those things that maybe casual fans don’t notice but they’re essential to moving up to the next level. That’s why, partially the reason, my jump to the pros has been successful so far.”

Sigh, when will this finally change.....

Sigh, when will this finally change.....

and then you have something like this..

http://www.businessweek.com/article...-year-soccer-plan-crushed-brazil-in-world-cup

The Guardian wrote a great piece on the German program last year, or you can read the DFB’s own chest-thumping self-assessment from 2011 (PDF). Germany’s standardized national program starts teaching the same skills to 6-year-olds all over the country. It’s run in every town by coaches who have to get a license from the DFB. Then by age 8, as training continues, scouts are watching for the kids good enough for the club programs.

This spring I watched my German godson, Paul, play a soccer game with his youth team. He’s 8 years old. German kids at that age don’t play herd ball. They play their roles, make clean passes, and pick their shots. None of this is left to chance. His youth club, TV Rodenkirchen, is part of the national program. And standing on the sidelines—for a league game between 8-year-olds—were professional scouts.

So hard for the US to compete with a program like that

Askani

"@SamMcDowell11: #SportingKC keeper Eric Kronberg broke a finger during training today. He will miss the next two months."

It's comical at this point.

25oRQep.gif

Askani

I hope so. Seems serviceable at worst. We recalled Kempin from OKC and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some CCL starts.

Meier

So hard for the US to compete with a program like that

Not really. Just takes putting the money in from the top down. Quit making the sport almost entirely exclusive to rich white kids by requiring players to spend thousands of dollars to actually get a chance to play against any sort of decent competition or get good coaching. The B teams in USL Pro are a good start as are the academies many MLS teams are creating. It needs to be a requirement.

- Top Drawer Soccer with the U20 MNT roster for the upcoming friendlies:
The U.S. U20 Men’s National Team is heading to the National Training Center in Carson, California on Thursday for the start of camp before friendlies against Chile, Bermuda, and Australia.

Head coach Tab Ramos called in 20 players for the event with half of the roster hailing from the Golden State. Ramos is in the process of assessing the talent pool for the group, as the squad heads toward the U20 World Cup in 2015.

Below is the roster that a source provided to TopDrawerSoccer. Check back next week for coverage from the games in Carson.

Goalkeepers: Santiago Castano (New York Red Bulls; Union City, N.J.), Zack Steffen (Maryland(m); Dowlington, Pa.)

Defenders (7): Michael Amick (UCLA; Sunnyvale, Calif.), Conor Donovan (Railhawks Academy; Fuquay Varina, N.C.), Luis Martir (Chivas de Guadalajara; Los Angeles, Calif.), Chris Odoi-Atsem (Maryland; Mitchellville, Md.), John Requejo Jr. (Club Tijuana; Carpinteria, Calif.), Caleb Smith (Solar Chelsea SC; Arlington Texas), Jesus Vasquez (UANL Tigres; San Luis Obispo, Calif.)

Midfielders (6): Fernando Arce (Club Tijuana, Chula Vista, Calif.) Russell Canouse (TSG 1899 Hoffenheim; Lancaster, Pa.), Marco Delgado (Chivas USA; Glendora, Calif.), Romain Gall (FC Lorient; Herndon, Va.), Lynden Gooch (Sunderland AFC; Santa Cruz, Calif.), Jacori Hayes (Wake Forest; Bowie, Md.)

Forwards (5): Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana; Chula Vista, Calif.), Bradford Jamieson (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), Benji Lopez (Arizona United SC; San Diego, Calif.), Andrija Novakovich (Reading FC; Muskego, Wis.), Zach Pfeffer (Philadelphia Union; Dresher, Pa.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom