• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hieberrr

Man, I wish there was done way we could've kept Matias Laba :(

TFC played terribly yesterday. Nobody made any runs until Lovitz came in and if they did, the midfield didn't recognize it.

We also need to force Bradley to take a week off to rest. I know he wants to play and help his team, but the man needs some rest.

xbhaskarx

Eric Wynalda's weird rant not a good sign for Fox's soccer future

It flew under the radar this week, but Wynalda had a bizarre appearance on The Dan Patrick Show in the wake of the USA’s Round of 16 loss to Belgium. And it won’t encourage anyone looking forward to Fox’s takeover of World Cup coverage.

Wynalda was obviously very irritable with the defeat, had to be calmed down by Patrick, dropped a word you can’t say on national radio, and called head coach Jurgen Klinsmann “un-American.”

That pitch in KC is looking pretty rough.

What kind of surface is it? Doesn't look like natural grass to me.

First I've seen Kansas play in years and holy shit at that stadium and those sell outs. Good on them. Makes Toyota Park look so minor league in comparison lol.

sq1AgLD.jpg

Don't know if this is really worth a yellow.

Meier

Magee (oops, spelled it wrong before..what kind of last name is Magee?!) just getting in behind Sporting's defense like they're not even there. Could use a Shipp goal.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Yup, my biggest concern is that he gets to play. It's a great place to learn the trade, though, so there's value in that. I'm curious if they see him as a winger or a fullback.

Well at least short term it looks like he will be loaned out to Seattle and then another Italian club, so he should have some time to get regular PT.

Mully

And that's the big problem. College basketball, I like him. College football, okay too. Soccer? Not so much.

He kept screaming, "Ronaldo!" every time CR7 got the ball during the Champions League final. We had fun with it and made a drinking game out of it, but it was not something I want to hear every game I watch.

Hope you like Gus Johnson because they will be shoving him down our throats every chance they get.

Really could care less. I don't think I've ever liked an announcing team. I'll probably be watching telemundo anyways. I'll be watching the post game stuff and fox for US games though

^ that reminds me I really want to go to Inter v. Man U (I know its not US soccer) here in DC at the end of the month but I have no friends that want to go. I need to find people who actually like sports here.... ugh

daoster

So basically, they want it to be exactly like ESPN's coverage? That's fine I guess, but I kinda want to see what else they can do.

I think people forgot exactly how bad ESPN's WC coverage was until the 2010 World Cup.

It was in 2010 when they decided to stop all the hand holding, Olympic style "personal story" coverage and decided to treat the fans like knowledgeable fans and went for a more "European" style with their coverage by bringing in Martin Tyler and Ian Darke.

Before that, I remember the World Cup being pretty dire on ESPN.

I already feel like Fox is gonna drop the ball and wreck much of the progress done in the past few years.

I mean, I feel like the Progress is gonna get wrecked, simply by the fact that the timezone in Russia works against the Western Hemisphere, and, this is not a knock on Russia, but Russia just doesn't bring up the images of soccer like Brazil does. (S. Africa worked because it was the first World Cup on that continent and all that good stuff).

But a good portion of the "progress" that you mention (and I assume here by "progress," you mean the popularity of soccer in the US) can be attributed to Fox itself, and I don't think they're going to drop the ball.

Not to say that I think it'll be perfect either, but they'll have 4 years to get everything ready.

Osorio

^ that reminds me I really want to go to Inter v. Man U (I know its not US soccer) here in DC at the end of the month but I have no friends that want to go. I need to find people who actually like sports here.... ugh

I'd imagine going to a DC United game is your best bet of finding soccer-loving friends.

Osorio

Yeah its just I'd have to go there alone to find them and when I'm alone I tend not to be to forthcoming with strangers. Its like a chicken and egg problem...

The easiest thing to do would be going to a supporter's group tailgate (I'm assuming they tailgate) since groups actively want more members.

That's how I got stuck with my mess of a team. I just went to one of their tailgates in 2007, they treated me like family and I've been a member since.

You may not get along with everybody in the group but everybody has a common bond and eventually you find the people who share similar tastes outside of the game.

Draconian

So basically, they want it to be exactly like ESPN's coverage? That's fine I guess, but I kinda want to see what else they can do.

Whaaat? We've already seen what else they can do! Their Champions League coverage has been dire. Whether it be shoving Johnson and Wynalda in the booth for important games and having to listen to their dreadful commentary, or opting to put a practice session from the freaking third tier of NASCAR (no, I'm not making this up) on Fox Sports 1 over the round of 16 games one day. It's been absolutely wretched, and yes, I'd much rather them straight up copy ESPN's style, which has been superb and catering to fans of the game, than for them to keep the status quo of their subpar and lacking coverage.

Seriously, look at their track record and tell me that you're optimistic for their World Cup coverage with a straight face.

Askani

Robb Heineman live Fan Forum is going on right now.

"National team training center plans in Kansas City is moving forward nicely. Should have some news in the next few weeks."

xbhaskarx

I usually don't agree with the guy but in this case I agree with 90% of Wynalda's criticisms (aside from “We’re not better off than we were 20 years ago.” which is just idiotic), but two dozen analysts from Matt Doyle to Landon Donovan said it already, and better. Without swearing on the radio, calling Klinsmann "un-American", sounding like a pompous dbag, etc. I don't understand how this guy remains employed by Fox, at least he's off Twitter now so we're not subjected to embarrassing late night drunken tirades...

I already feel like Fox is gonna drop the ball and wreck much of the progress done in the past few years.

Fox isnt the problem.

Comcast buying the Spanish rights over Univision is.

Odds of Comcast having free online streams not requiring cable? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Enjoy football folks, it's about to die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom