• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Starting line up for the LA Galaxy:
Penedo; DLG, Gonzalez, Leonardo, Riley; Zardes, Sarvas, Juninho, Donovan; Keane, Samuel

Bench:
Perk, Meyer, Gargan, Dunivant, Husidic, Ishizaki, Friend

Excited to see the season opener. I have my bag of extra hot hot cheetos and my gallon of water ready. Hoping to start the season with a win.

Gonzalez's arch rival, Beckham
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jypp69gUZZo

kIdMuScLe

Q7g22Qn.jpg

s4RIDoy.jpg

Hieberrr

i'm thinking about buying the MLS streaming service. are only national games blacked out and those are streamed online for free from nbc? i'm thinking about cord cutting and starting out with mlb.tv and MLS for the spring/summer. it would help me get into it with Orlando getting a team for next season
National and local (unless otherwise stated) are blocked. You can get around the blackouts via VPNs.

xbhaskarx

Damn Garber going to all three Cascadia matches in one day, just landed in Portland and will do another halftime interview... hardest working commissioner.

Jeff-DSA

The RSL jerseys look so bad this year. From best to worst. It sucks.

Can't believe that foul call right there. Better not lead to a goal here.

Edit: Morales gets a yellow for that, but the dangerous slide tackle doesn't draw one?! GTFO, replacement refs.

Galaxy has a great attack. We've been downright lucky to keep it 0-0.

Good half by the LA Galaxy. The chemistry of the team can really be seen in the attack. A few good chances and having Penedo is such a big difference over the previous goalie.

Jeff-DSA

Good half by the LA Galaxy. The chemistry of the team can really be seen in the attack. A few good chances and having Penedo is such a big difference over the previous goalie.

The Galaxy are going to be downright scary when they more fully gel. We're lucky not to be down 2-3 goals right now. That attack is impressive.

Really good half by the Union. Our new attacking players are ballin out there. Timbers had some chances though. 0-0 at HT but the game looks like it has some goals in it.

The Galaxy are going to be downright scary when they more fully gel. We're lucky not to be down 2-3 goals right now. That attack is impressive.

Well most of the players on the field where here last year except for Samuel. I think having Samuel as the target forward will open lanes for Donovan and Keane to do their stuff, which will make attack even stronger, which is what Arena wants. We also added some new attacking additions, so it will be interesting on how they perform if they play in the second half.

Nesotenso

ref nearly screwed RSL over. Rimando kept them in the game with his saves in the first half.

Timbers and Union looked good in creating chances and looked improved over last season with their personnel.

Philly did almost everything right tonight except in the last 30 seconds and we have to settle for a draw :(

Good game Timbers, could have went either way as both teams had chances.

I've been reading stuff here and other places about a lot of impressive debuts for MLS newcomers today.

Vincent Nogueira and Christian Maidana for my Union looked like the real deal tonight on the attack against Portland.

And since this is the American thread, I figure you guys might be interested to hear that Maurice Edu had a really strong game as well playing a true box to box role. He had a assist on the Unions only goal and nearly setup 2 others. He looked as good as I've ever seen him and not like someone who hasn't played regularly in awhile.

Yeah. Well. Replacement refs. And hand balls. I've got more to say but I'm happy enough with a tie because goddamn.

Gaddis falling on the ball you mean lol...I saw nothing!

Good game tho! Portland is STRONG..
Im just happy Philly looked good compared to last years long ball fiasco of fingers crossed for 90min..

An actual midfield and combination passing is something unique to see by my boys, Im hot and cold on this tie.

All in all, great start to the season. Happy I got my Direct Kick for Sat/Sun like today, happy my Union loom like an actual team rather then a U-17 abortion, sad because its my first non-season ticket year (son plays Academy U-12 soccer and ODP so my Sat/Sun are full! Top 75 in NJ So your teams might have him one day lol)...

Good game to everyone, let the season begin!

Disappointing to say the least. Pretty good game overall. Galaxy just needs to finish the chances they created. Keane had a few clear ones, especially the one that hit the post. Donovan also had a one on one with Rimando. They slowed down the second half. The fitness may not be completely there but it is just the first game. Last season Galaxy allowed a lot of late goals that cost them a lot of points, so it is not encouraging seeing them allow a goal in the 80th minute. Donovan needs to do a better job when it comes to corners. He was not putting the ball in dangerous places and a lot of them where just short. Real Salt Lake is always a tough team for the Galaxy and Rimando just made some big saves. Oh well, I am still excited for the rest of the season.

Jeff-DSA

Even with the disallowed goal, the Galaxy put a lot of shots on goal and RSL needed a godlike performance from Rimando to take 3 points.

gutshot

NYT: ESPN to produce an all-access documentary about the USMNT in the lead-up to the World Cup

Bennett and Klinsmann are expected to announce the series Sunday at the South by Southwest music festival and media conference in Austin, Tex. The series will start May 13 with a one-hour episode, followed by three half-hour shows in the ensuing weeks and a one-hour finale on June 10. It is an obvious part of the marketing that will precede broadcasts of the World Cup on ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC.

All-access series have become a sports television staple on networks like HBO, ESPN and Showtime. They succeed best when the access is the greatest, when players forget that the cameras are following them, and when strong or eccentric personalities command attention, like the reliably outlandish Floyd Mayweather Jr. on HBO’s “24/7.”

Who will be the United States team’s breakout personalities? Klinsmann? Jozy Altidore? Clint Dempsey? Michael Bradley?

Hock said finding the dominant personalities should not be difficult. He has produced three documentaries for ESPN’s “30 for 30” anniversary series, two “30 for 30” short films and an all-access series about the Kentucky men’s basketball team. He has won eight Emmy Awards.

No Altidore for Sunderland today. Poyet seemed to indicate that he was going to start, but he picked up a knock in training after returning from USMNT duty.

Askani

Sorry Askani, man we do that to you guys every fucking time.

Also, if anyone doubted it, that Sounders match was absolutely miserable to be at. I was so wet from standing in the rain that my fingers pruned up.

It was at least a decent game up until we shit the bed. Bad play on a 50/50 ball, defensive players taking each other out, keeper shouldn't have been where he was. It was an all over failure.

SKC second stringers are not good. Hopefully this means we get a win against Cruz Azul at home as unlikely as that seems.

Ellis looked shaky as all get out. Still don't like Gardner. Peterson isn't anything special. I was pretty irritated when he skied that ball over the net. I know...hit in the air, wet, people closing...all that stuff. Still, you have to do better with that ball. At least bounce it off the ground instead of 10 feet over goal when you're that close.

Osorio

Didn't I say something about the defense?

The entire back four starting the game was new. Segayka was the "veteran" with half a season played.

Also, I love Petke but his personnel decisions are baffling sometimes.

I expect this game to be an outlier considering the back four, but who knows. It might be 2009 all over again. Coming fresh off an MLS Cup final we started the season on the road in the west and came out with a -3 goal differential.

Nesotenso

Ellis looked shaky as all get out. Still don't like Gardner. Peterson isn't anything special. I was pretty irritated when he skied that ball over the net. I know...hit in the air, wet, people closing...all that stuff. Still, you have to do better with that ball. At least bounce it off the ground instead of 10 feet over goal when you're that close.

We played good given the lineup we put out.

No Altidore for Sunderland today. Poyet seemed to indicate that he was going to start, but he picked up a knock in training after returning from USMNT duty.

Anyone believe this? Could be true, could be an excuse. More likely the former.
I know Jozy will probably get a shot before the season closes out but their relationship seems to have deteriorated.

Didn't I say something about the defense?

The entire back four starting the game was new. Segayka was the "veteran" with half a season played.

Also, I love Petke but his personnel decisions are baffling sometimes.

I expect this game to be an outlier considering the back four, but who knows. It might be 2009 all over again. Coming fresh off an MLS Cup final we started the season on the road in the west and came out with a -3 goal differential.

They must've watched too much USMNT coverage this week. Their shitty back four play rubbed off on them.

Meier

Crap, forgot to actually set my lineup. Donovan was on the bench. -___- Cool that you can make substitutions. That is one of my favorite part about the official UEFA games.

Meier

What do you mean by substitutions? Like, mid-match, if your starter has 1 point and a bench player has 10 points, you can sub the bench player in?
No, it looks like it's on a daily basis (that's how they do it in the Champions League games). And the player you sub in can't have played yet.

v1lla21

Haha. First ball Joya touches and he scores.

Oh fuck, just realized that Benji is one of my cousin's friends.

Fire ties it 2-2.

xbhaskarx

My predictions of Chivas not finishing last and McNamara in the RoY race are looking pretty good right now...

Uh oh it's not over, Benji Joya gets the Fire back in it... why didn't Yallop start him?

Dartastic

I think the one thing I took from watching the Portland and Seattle games yesterday is that the quality of play really was pretty good. Yeah, it's not at the same level as some of the best clubs of the world, but duh. It's still good soccer. Both games were really entertaining. Really glad to see MLS coming along. Hopefully other people around the world start to take more notice soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom