• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Just got caught up on the whole Defoe fiasco. If he leaves, my motivation to keep watching TFC games drops to an all time low, I was legitimately excited to see what the team could do with a star striker like him in the next 4 seasons(including the current one).

Wouldn't be surprised to see Bradley jump ship either if Defoe leaves.

xbhaskarx

Galaxy have looked flat for the last fifteen minutes, they don't seem to have figured out that Alan Gordon is dead after 45 minutes.

And minutes after replacing him they score again.

14 goals for Zardes, he's wasteful at times but that should certainly be enough for a Jan Camp.

xbhaskarx

Donovan with two goals and two assists now up to 131 career assists, 4 behind Ralston. He'd have broken it tonight if Keane was playing...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Donovan with two goals and two assists now up to 131 career assists, 4 behind Ralston. He'd have broken it tonight if Keane was playing...

Dear lord, he is going to blow that record away at the rate he's been going. He absolutely deserves it but still, I figured he'd have a tougher time of it.

If any Red Bulls bro is going to the match tonight and doesn't want the shirt they're giving away (pick a medium!), let me know. I'm willing to pay. Unfortunately, I can't make it out there but I really wanted that shirt. :(

xbhaskarx

^ we know NYRB met with him and wasn't interested, I'm guessing none of the MLS teams in cities he was interested in thought he was worth the kind of money he was asking for...

The Colombia vs Brazil friendly in Florida:
http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/09/05/4330993/neymar-lifts-brazil-to-win-at.html
DqgIorl.jpg

Mucho important wins right there against Toronto. Get hype

Yea Union are playing well heading into the US Open Cup Final. It's going to be real interesting what kind of lineup is out there next Sat against PCNY at home with the Final 3 days later. Curtain didn't rest anyone in the game a few days prior to the Dallas Open Cup game that the Union eeked out in the shootout.

xbhaskarx

Charlotte Soccer Fans Hoping for MLS Expansion Franchise

CHARLOTTE — For professional soccer fans, the pitch at Charlotte's Memorial Stadium is a field of dreams of sorts.

Many hope that the stadium, which is now undergoing heavy renovations, will one day be the home of a Major League Soccer expansion franchise.

"In the next 15 years, I think MLS bringing in a club here is definitely a possibility," said Zach Hall, editor of Crown Town Soccer.

Some sources say a group led by Lacrosse's Charlotte Hounds President Jim McPhilliamy plans to purchase the Queen City's current USL Pro Soccer Team, the Charlotte Eagles. A formal announcement is scheduled for Sept. 17.

"This new ownership group is bringing in new capital," Hall said. "They're bringing in new corporate partners. They are are going to bring in a fresh face, a fresh look, on the field."

McPhilliamy said Wednesday that bringing Major League Soccer to Charlotte is a major goal.

In a statement, an MLS spokesperson said: "We have witnessed the tremendous crowds for international soccer events in Charlotte—including the Mexico vs. Iceland game managed by our marketing arm in 2010—and we will continue to monitor the market."

Esch

Banned
Ref and Robles got us that win. That whole first half u was waiting for the hammer to drop but it never came

Yep... Well and I'd say Dwyer really didn't capitalize on his chances. Henry and BWP link up too well
jxSt6Fq0oY9tL.png

Enjoyable game overall though

Osorio

Yep... Well and I'd say Dwyer really didn't capitalize on his chances. Henry and BWP link up too well
jxSt6Fq0oY9tL.png

Enjoyable game overall though

The high press was nerve wracking but I'd say we match well against KC because we're pretty fucking nasty on the counter.

I feel that games we control in possession are the ones we tend to lose more often than not.

Esch

Banned
Dom had that one amaaazing goal but overall team just isn't putting it together the way they should. Bit of a slump right now, need em to snap out of it :( . Overall though I'd say they're getting back to form with this last game, but not where it needs to be.

I can't lie i'm shook to watch us take on Chivas

Osorio

Wednesday is going to be so fucking massive it's making me nervous already.

So sad that it's a midweek game, I want a larger crowd for a game of this magnitude.

Either way the 12-15k that will make it out will bring the noise.

Then, Philly away? Shit, what a month!

Believe in the 4-3-3 y'all

Dartastic

This Quakes-Timbers game is crazy. Not sure why they left Wondo unmarked on that cross.

EDIT: Welp, that lead didn't last long.
This was quite possibly one of the most frustrating games of the year. Jesus. What a mess. Kah needs to go at the end of this season. Our defense, man... Ughhhhhhhhh.

ATF487

Revs lucky to not be down by two, despite generally looking like the better team in midfield.

Jones almost pulled a Gerrard there

xbhaskarx

Revs are back to being one of the most fun teams to watch, just like last season. No team is in the same league as the Galaxy right now, though...

Yea Union are playing well heading into the US Open Cup Final. It's going to be real interesting what kind of lineup is out there next Sat against PCNY at home with the Final 3 days later. Curtain didn't rest anyone in the game a few days prior to the Dallas Open Cup game that the Union eeked out in the shootout.

I wanna beat NY but I also want to win a trophy (before ny does too!) so I think I would prefer to sit some guys so they are fresh. M'Bolhi will (hopefully) be back though so he's hopefully going to start against Seattle.

xbhaskarx

Armchair Analyst: The Jermaine Jones Experience, LA Galaxy's greatness & other Week 26 thoughts

2. Just how great are the Galaxy?

Right now, after their 6-0 assassination of the Colorado Rapids on Friday night, LA's goal differential is at +27. In MLS history, only two teams have ever finished better than that: the 2012 Quakes (+29) and '98 Galaxy (+41).

Their goal differential is +14 in their last four games. The only goal they've given up in that span is an own goal. They've won five in a row, are 7-1-1 in their last nine, 10-2-2 in their last 14 and 12-2-4 in their last 18.

Their goals per game is 2.08, which would be the second-best mark of any MLS team since 2001 ('12 Quakes were 2.11). Their goals against of 1.04 is best in the league.

They have a chance to become the first team since the '05 Quakes to average over 2 ppg. They have a chance to become the first team since those high-scoring '98 Galaxy to win 20 regular-season games.

They create the most chances and the most "big" chances by MILES, they attempt the most passes in the attacking half of the field and they complete them at a higher clip than anybody else in the league:

Galaxy%2Bdominance.png

My vote for "Best MLS Team in League History" goes to the 2011 Galaxy, who won the Supporters' Shield/MLS Cup double with a +20 regular season goal differential. The only other team to do that were the '99 D.C. United bunch.

If the 2014 Galaxy keep it up, they'll be the new owners of the top spot in my own, personal, all-time MLS power rankings.

Of course that's a significant "if." They've got Seattle twice and FC Dallas twice in the last eight weeks of the season.

It's just about time to see how tight the Western Conference race really is.

They should just hand the MLS Cup to the team that wins the West...

Osorio

if you say so. having the best record and not winning anything but getting the "you had the best record" award seems to be a "thanks for participating" award.

Regular season championship. 34 games across several months. If it was a thanks for participating award everyone would get one.

Open Cup is at most 7 wins mostly against reserve squads until maybe the semi-finals

I know y'all want to keep your stupid no cups song but to feel more accomplished because y'all have an open cup would be laughable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom