• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osorio

sounds easy enough. looks like ny did a good job this year of beating them then.

Yeah another year another reserve lineup in the Open Cup

And we're not alone for the most part.

With 3 competitions this year we decided to scrap one, which one do you think that is?

IMO the Supporters Shield is way more of an achievement and accomplishment than the MLS Cup. The playoffs are too diluted and flukey to be a true test for anything.

Osorio

IMO the Supporters Shield is way more of an achievement and accomplishment than the MLS Cup. The playoffs are too diluted and flukey to be a true test for anything.

I would agree but when you crash out of the playoffs after winning the shield you don't just shrug off the playoffs. That shit still hurts.

If we had a completely balanced schedule I'd say Shield > MLS Cup

As of now I'd go with

Champions League>>MLS Cup > Shield >>>> Open Cup

xbhaskarx

Yeah above MLS Cup is CCL...

That can never be the case because chronologically, MLS Cup will always come after the Supporters Shield winner has been determined. MLS Cup means winning the last game you've played that season and being the last team standing. If you win the Supporters Shield and then don't win MLS Cup, you're sitting at home watching other teams play for the championship.

Imagine if in international soccer they gave a trophy for most wins in the calendar year, and let's say Spain won it in 2014, but then they lose and are at home watching Germany hoist the World Cup trophy... which would be more important?

Osorio

Plus if you're a perennial shield winner but always crash out of the playoffs early, I don't think anybody would call you a dynasty

I think that kind of team would deserve some merit but the playoffs negates that whether we like it or not

xbhaskarx

USMNT's Fabian Johnson is being misused at Borussia Monchengladbach, says Berti Vogts

That's gotta be at the bottom of the list of things I'd worry about... FJ can play on either side as fullback or winger.

Philadelphia Union's Zach Pfeffer scores for US U-20s in 1-1 draw vs. Argentina in Buenos Aires

Philadelphia Union youngster Zach Pfeffer scored to lead the US U-20 national team to a 1-1 draw with their Argentinean counterparts in Buenos Aires on Tuesday, capping a 10-day trip that saw coach Tab Ramos' side go undefeated in three matches.

Pfeffer netted his strike in the 61st minute after teammate Joel Sonora's initial shot was deflected, drawing the US level after Argentina took a 1-0 lead just after halftime.

Ramos and his charges also notched a 2-0 win over Racing Club Reserves on Sept. 4 and a 3-2 victory against Defensa y Justicia Reserves on Saturday.

The squad picked for this trip featured several MLS players and academy prospects, including New York Red Bulls defender Matt Miazga and goalkeeper Santiago Castano, LA Galaxy attacker Bradford Jamieson, Sporting KC's Erik Palmer-Brown and recent Columbus Crew signing Romain Gall.

San Jose Earthquakes Homegrown Tommy Thompson was also named to Ramos' roster, but declined in order to focus on his duties with the Quakes.

More on the other two games:

The U.S. ended its trip to Buenos Aires on Tuesday by playing to a 1-1 draw with Argentina’s U-20s, giving the Americans a 2-0-1 record in the three friendlies they played there during the past week.

Argentina initially went ahead with a goal in the 48th minute, but Tab Ramos’ side responded with a Zach Pfeffer equalizer 13 minutes later.

The U.S. may not have gone a perfect 3-0 during their stay in South America, but the manner in which the players stuck together after falling behind on Tuesday was somewhat similar to how they came back in Saturday’s triumph over Defensa y Justicia’s reserves.

All it took was 15 minutes for the Americans to fall behind, 2-0, on Saturday before Bradford Jamieson sparked the comeback with his first goal of the game in the 17th minute. Paul Arriola equalized for the U.S. before halftime, and Jamieson capped the rally with the winner in the 3-2 affair in the 57th minute.

The U.S. defeated Racing Club’s reserves in their first match, grabbing a 2-0 win on Thursday courtesy of goals from Pfeffer and Romain Gall.

Here are the U.S. lineups for each of the three friendlies:

U-20 U.S. vs. Racing Club reserves: USA: 1-Santiago Castano; 3-John Requejo Jr. (18-Chase Gasper, 46), 5-Erik Palmer-Brown (19-Conor Donovan, 62), 4-Matt Miazga, 2-Shaquell Moore (16-Luis Martir, 46); 6-Russell Canouse, 8-Fernando Arce (14-Junior Flores, 46), 10-Joel Sonora (15-Luis Felipe, 67); 11-Zach Pfeffer, 9-Romain Gall, 7-Paul Arriola (13-Bradford Jamieson, 46)

U-20 U.S. vs. Defensa y Justicia reserves: USA: 1-Jeff Caldwell; 3-Chase Gasper (14-John Requejo Jr., 36), 5-Erik Palmer-Brown, 4-Conor Donovan (18-Matt Miazga, 36), 2-Luis Martir (13-Shaq Moore, 36); 6-Russell Canouse (15-Joel Sonora, 36), 8-Luis Felipe, 11-Junor Flores (20-Zach Pfeffer, 52); 10-Bradford Jamieson, 9-Paul Arriola (16-Romain Gall, 36), 7-Gboly Ariyibi.

U-20 U.S. vs. U-20 Argentina: 1- Santiago Castano; 2- John Requejo Jr., 4- Matt Miazga, 5- Erik Palmer-Brown, 3- Shaq Moore; 7- Paul Arriola, 8- Joel Sonora, 6- Russell Canouse, 9- Bradford Jamieson; 10- Junior Flores; 11- Romain Gall.

xbhaskarx

Houston Dynamo make pitch for development team in McAllen

McALLEN — Major League Soccer’s Houston Dynamo met with the city of McAllen and the Rio Grande Valley Vipers on Monday, hoping to take another step forward in bringing a development team to the Valley.

Dynamo President Chris Canetti and Vice President David Tagliarino presented a broad outline for implementing a USL Pro minor league team in McAllen. The team, which Canetti and Tagliarino referred to as the “Rio Grande Valley Dynamo,” would be owned and operated by the Houston Dynamo. Players would be developed and under contract with the Dynamo in an effort to make the parent club’s first team.

The potential farm team would have a local office of about 8-10 fulltime staff members that would manage the club.

“The city’s been great,” Canetti said. “They’ve welcomed us with open arms and have been very responsive. They’ve shown an excitement and interest in making this happen. I’m really happy with what we’ve seen from the folks down here.”

The next step is seeing if the city is willing to put forth the funding to add to McAllen Sports Park, formerly the De Leon Soccer Fields. Upgrading to at least 5,000 seats from the current 3,800 and building home and visitors’ locker rooms are at the top of the list.

“We do have interest. There is interest,” city commission members assured Canetti and Tagliarino at the conclusion of their meeting.

Not familiar with McAllen, it appear to be 5.5 hours from Houston, down by the Mexican border... https://goo.gl/maps/mcGGl

MLS story: Houston Dynamo brass meet with representatives in McAllen, Texas, about creating USL PRO team

Osorio

If any Metro fans have been wanting to go to a game but can't afford one, the listings on Stubhub are stupid cheap for tomorrow.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
If any Metro fans have been wanting to go to a game but can't afford one, the listings on Stubhub are stupid cheap for tomorrow.

How cheap we talking? I've got the night off so I was thinking of going. I haven't been able to make a game since March.

EDIT: Holy shit you aren't kidding. These prices are nuts.

Osorio

How cheap we talking? I've got the night off so I was thinking of going. I haven't been able to make a game since March.

EDIT: Holy shit you aren't kidding. These prices are nuts.

Yeah man, section 128 or 124 for 16 bucks!

Some upstairs for less than 10!

Bought two for my dad just because.

xbhaskarx

Edwin Lara in latest USA-Mexico tug-of-war

Northern Californian Edwin Lara, one of the brightest young stars in the U.S. youth national team program, is being courted by the Mexican soccer federation (FMF). Lara, who turned 15 on Sept. 8, has been a starter on Coach Richie Williams' U.S. U-17 national team.

"I haven't made up my mind yet," Lara told the San Jose Mercury News while attending a Northern California Alianza de Futbol event at which he was courted by Mexican club and national team scouts.

Sources say Lara, who has already trained with Mexican club Pachuca, is currently training with Mexico’s U-17 national team in Mexico City.

He is one of the players brought into the U.S. national team fold by Hugo Perez, the USSF’s Northwest Technical Advisor who was recently relieved of his U-15 national team head coaching duties.

Lara, who started youth ball with the Hayward Tecos, has played for De Anza Force and San Jose Earthquakes U.S. Soccer Development Academy teams.

Lara debuted for the U-17s last December and played in victories over England (5-1) and Brazil (4-1). Lara was also part of the U.S. U-17s’ tournament victories in Sarajevo in April and in Turkey in January.

Although young for this U-17 cycle, Lara, a left-footed player, seems poised to start for the USA in qualifying play for the 2015 U-17 World Cup -- unless he chooses to represent Mexico.

It would be a bummer to lose him to Mexico...

Osorio

I got a couple for my dad and I in 126 for $20, normally those run closer to $80 a pop.

Damn, that's pretty good. My dad got a ticket there for $30 last year for the playoffs off a desperate scalper.

It's interesting though. Judging from these prices I'm expecting a pretty empty stadium, but amongst my circle of friends I've never heard more buzz for a game.

Brashnir

EJ is out tonight with a concussion but Pontius is back

Ugh.

Don't worry. EJ wasn't playing when everyone was healthy anyway, and while most people's bodies are 75% water, Chris Pontius has to be getting close to 75% pulled hamstring scar tissue at this point.

Osorio

Don't worry. EJ wasn't playing when everyone was healthy anyway, and while most people's bodies are 75% water, Chris Pontius has to be getting close to 75% pulled hamstring scar tissue at this point.

I know what you're saying but Pontius could transform into a jellyfish and still manage a way to score against us. Just like Conor Casey

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I know what you're saying but Pontius could transform into a jellyfish and still manage a way to score against us. Just like Conor Casey

Ugh. Conor Casey.

I'm so pumped for tonight's game. Work for the next couple of hours will be torture.

Osorio

Ugh. Conor Casey.

I'm so pumped for tonight's game. Work for the next couple of hours will be torture.
Same. Lucky I have the day off. I'm about to meet my friends in Newark and start drinking Yerba mate with bourbon. The turn up will be real tonight.

xbhaskarx

Colorado Rapids' young mainstay Shane O'Neill set to return from knee injury ahead of schedule

Maybe it’s a coincidence, but it appears likely that defender Shane O’Neill’s nearly two-month absence from the pitch has been a major culprit in the Colorado Rapids’ summer freefall down the standings.

But the good news is that the third-year professional is closing in on a return to the Rapids lineup.

After battling a nagging knee injury (O’Neill said on Tuesday that the injury was a sprained MCL in his right knee) that has kept him out of action for nine straight matches, it appears the 21-year-old Homegrown Player stalwart is ready to return to the field in the near future.

It cannot come soon enough; the Rapids have conceded 24 goals in his nine games away from the field (2.67 GAA), going a paltry 1-8-0 without him available. With O'Neill in the lineup this season, Colorado are 6-4-6 with a 1.25 GAA.

“My knee feels pretty good; close to 100 percent, actually,” O’Neill told reporters after practice on Tuesday. “I feel a little bit rusty, obviously, after being out for a while, but I feel good.”

xbhaskarx

#RSL Owner Dell Loy Hansen unveils @USLPRO team name: Real Monarchs

891510_776989489030314_1951123893_n.jpg

In Hansen's presentation, shows March-November schedule, anticipates 6-to-8,000 average attendance. Average ticket price: $12.25

Hansen said Rio Tinto Stadium is done hosting concerts. Said Fairpark stadium could have capacity of 18,000 for concerts/events.

Hansen said Real Salt Lake has already obtained a license for its incoming USL Pro team in 2015.

Hansen mentions women's W-Pro League Team, a second-level pro club. Season: April-Sept., 10 home games, estimated attendance: 2,500-3,000.

I still do not like the Real name for SLC.

In other news:

Kevin Kinkead
‏@KevinKCBS3
I'm hearing more rumblings that Rene Meulensteen will be the next head coach in Philadelphia. @MLSTransfers @UnionRumors

and

Philadelphia Union CEO Nick Sakiewicz confirmed that former Fulham manager Rene Meulensteen is a candidate to be the club's next head coach, but said that no final decision has been made about the position.

http://www.espnfc.com/major-league-...cision-on-rene-meulensteen-for-new-head-coach

Also been some rumors around here that Jim Curtain was involved with the coaching hunt too so he may well be the assistant for a bit under Rene before taking the top spot for good if it does indeed happen.

Two goals from the Galaxy to bring it back to 2-2. Donovan with the yellow card suspension on the weekend, so he'll miss the Quakes game.

xbhaskarx

How is Montreal beating LA 2-0?

28'
Marco Di Vaio
Assisted By: Dilly Duka, Ignacio Piatti

43'
Ignacio Piatti
Assisted By: Felipe Martins, Dilly Duka

The Piatti signing paying off big time already, maybe the silly narrative that mid-season DPs don't produce until their second season will finally die.

Also Dilly Duka was basically available for next to nothing a month ago, I was pissed (but not surprised) that the Earthquakes didn't grab him, looks like he's heavily involved as well.

WTF before I even hit submit it's 2-2

59'
Gyasi Zardes
Assisted By: Juninho

64'
Alan Gordon
Assisted By: Robbie Keane, Landon Donovan

What is going on with Alan Gordon, he looked finished with the Earthquakes about five minutes into every game, then he goes to LA and can't stop scoring goals.

Landon Donovan credited with a second assist on Alan Gordon's goal. Now just 3 shy of tying Steve Ralston's MLS all-time record.

ZZMitch

I kinda wanted DC to win (better for the Revs), but even I felt happy when Red Bulls scored. Nothing like finally breaking down a tough defense in the final minutes!

Yeah above MLS Cup is CCL...

That can never be the case because chronologically, MLS Cup will always come after the Supporters Shield winner has been determined. MLS Cup means winning the last game you've played that season and being the last team standing. If you win the Supporters Shield and then don't win MLS Cup, you're sitting at home watching other teams play for the championship.

Imagine if in international soccer they gave a trophy for most wins in the calendar year, and let's say Spain won it in 2014, but then they lose and are at home watching Germany hoist the World Cup trophy... which would be more important?

Well, in most countries the national cup competition final is after the league has been decided, but very few in England (for example) say they would rather win the FA Cup over the Premiere League.

Winning four games at the end of the season (when you don't technically have to win any of those games if you advance on PK's) is not a better barometer of how good a team is compared to a 32 game season. The US just chooses to have playoffs determine who is the champion and not the league standings, because we are Americans and dammit we have to have playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom