• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colombian squad:

Goalkeepers (3): Camilo Vargas (Santa Fe), Jose Fernando Cuadrado (Once Caldas), Leandro Catellanos (Ind. Medellin)

Defenders (8): Pablo Armero (AC Milan), Cristiano Zapata (AC Milan), Santiago Arias (PSV Eindhoven), Eder Alvarez (River Plate), Murillo (Granada), Pedro Franco (Besiktas), Brayan Angulo (Ludogorets), Daniel Bocanegra (Atl. Nacional)

Midfielders (9): Fredy Guarin (Inter), Abel Aguilar (Toulouse), Carlos Sanchez (Aston Villa), Juan Cuadrado (Fiorentina), James Rodriguez (Real Madrid), Alexander Mejia (Atl. Nacional), Juan Fernando Quintero (Porto), Carlos Carbonero (Cesena), Edwin Cardona (Atl. Nacional)

Forwards (5): Teofilo Gutierrez (River Plate), Jackson Martinez (Porto), Adrian Ramos (Borussia Dortmund), Carlos Bacca (Sevilla), Yimmi Chara (Deportes Tolima)

Falcao is out injured.

US U20's win 4-3.
@BrianSciaretta said:
Nice result for US U20s vs. older Russian U21 team. Wild game. Hyndman sent off with 2 YCs. 3 PKs in total, 7 goals. Gall 2 goals & 1 assist

Orlando City signed Mark Watson as an assistant. Interesting decision.
He has plenty of MLS coaching experience and seems like a nice guy, but he didn't have a ton of success with the Quakes.

Another "major announcement" from the union on Friday...

They gotta stop using "major announcement" for every announcement unless it's an actual major announcement otherwise it means jackshit.

Esch

Banned
Another "major announcement" from the union on Friday...

They gotta stop using "major announcement" for every announcement unless it's an actual major announcement otherwise it means jackshit.

I like to think of it as the "World Exclusive Reveal" for games where they show off some art assets and a CG trailer, but for soccer.

Carlos Vela finally suited up for Mexico's national team. I like the aggression he brings. Has been on a constant attack all game in this friendly vs NED.

xbhaskarx

US U-20 national team team beats Russia 4-3 behind two goals from Columbus Crew SC's Romain Gall

The US national team Under-20 team started the Marbella Tournament in Spain in dramatic fashion on Wednesday, as a second-half stoppage time penalty by Columbus Crew midfielder Romain Gall gave the Americans a 4-3 win over Russia's U-21 squad.

Gall (pictured above) had two goals in the game, which was a topsy-turvy affair that featured four lead changes, and stepped up to convert the PK at the death that was drawn by San Jose Earthquakes midfielder Tommy Thompson, whose shot went off a Russian player's hand in the box. Andrija Novakovich and Dembakwi Yomba netted the other goals for the US.

Making the result more impressive was the fact that Fulham midfielder Emerson Hyndman picked up two yellow cards in the match and the US played down a man for the final 10 minutes of the game.

The US have two more games coming up in the Marbella Tournament, against Ireland's U-20s on Saturday, and against CONCACAF rivals Canada on Nov. 18. Both the US and Canada are preparing for the CONCACAF Under-20 Championship, which will be held in January in Jamaica. The CONCACAF Championship will also serve as the qualifying tournament for the 2015 U-20 World Cup, which will be held in New Zealand.

His example is poor because even if you're part of Real's reserves, you're playing against Ronaldo, Bale, Kroos and the like every day in practice and learning from one of the best managers in the world.

There's a reason why most Real rejects have thrived elsewhere. Now, signing for clubs like Rapid Wien or Young Boys over the MLS is probably non sensical at this point, but if you get a chance at a top 10 club, a real place in a top 20. You take it. Every time.

xbhaskarx

great article...

American Soccer & The Internet: A Love Story

Wilt: The best use of BigSoccer was perhaps after the 2002 season. It was our most disappointing season to that point, Bob Bradley had left us afterwards to go to New York. We were a million dollars over the salary cap, when the salary cap was two million, so we were 50% over. So we had to jettison Piotr Nowak, it was unthinkable that we’d trade our captain. Because people forget, he didn’t retire, he forced us to trade him, I wanted him to retire. Hristo Stoichkov, Josh Wolff and Dema Kovalenko, those four were all very popular players, but their salaries didn’t justify keeping them based on where we had to get to.

The fan outrage in January of 2003 was such that I had to do something, I had to go public. So I wrote a letter explaining, in detail, the thought process behind each of those moves. I also went so far as to say “if we wouldn’t have made those moves, this is what we would have had to do to get under the salary cap”. So I started naming names, which included young players, like Chris Armas, CJ Brown and I think DaMarcus Beasley was still with us at that point. And people read it and understood it, that turned it around 180 degrees and maybe saved my reputation among the Fire faithful. The wording I had was particularly graphic—maybe that’s not the best adjective. I told the story about trading Piotr Nowak, about how I cried when I did it. I agonized over that decision and that was impactful. The thread with that letter still exists on BigSoccer. That kind of one-on-one communication that can be achieved through the internet and specifically BigSoccer is very impactful.

xbhaskarx

Las Vegas could learn by Dec. 6 if it wins MLS soccer team

Las Vegas could know as early as Dec. 6 whether it is selected as the final Major League Soccer team.

The Board of Governors of MLS, which is expanding to 24 teams, is meeting on Dec. 6, with expansion expected to be discussed, said Dean Howes, a soccer stadium adviser helping Justin Findlay on a downtown stadium proposal in Las Vegas.

The MLS board could decide on the city at its meeting, Howes said. The final three cities vying for the last slot are Las Vegas, Minneapolis, and Sacramento, Calif., he said.

Howes and Findlay visited the Las Vegas Review-Journal’s editorial board Tuesday to discuss the stadium proposal.

“We are hoping they will make a decision,” Howes said after the editorial board meeting.

MLS spokesman Dan Courtemanche confirmed the Board of Governors will discuss expansion, but he did not say whether a city will be picked.

A major announcement always leads to major leaks 2 days ahead of time.

The reshaping of the Philadelphia Union this offseason continues with an intriguing twist as the club will announce on Friday a role for established European soccer coach René Meulensteen with the club.

Meulensteen, whose resume includes a stint at venerable English Premier League side Manchester United as an assistant and most recently with Fulham as an assistant. A league source tells Metro that Muelensteen will be a consultant “to assist with the sporting director structure” of the club. He has been linked to the team over the past half-a-year, with erroneous reports this past summer saying that he would be hired as head coach.

http://www.metro.us/philadelphia/ph...oach-rene-meulensteen/zsJnkm---0hLkuMAC2KomU/

yay

Bayern Munich announced an academy partnership in the U.S. earlier today.

http://www.fcbayernmunich.com/us/news/news/2014/fc-bayern-and-gps-announce-us-youth-partnership.php

FC Bayern Munich and Global Premier Soccer (GPS) have announced an extensive partnership that will bring Bayern’s famed Youth Academy to more than 55,000 kids in the United States. The grassroots initiative is the next step in FC Bayern’s commitment to engage the wider US soccer community. It will bring its youth development knowledge, including its coaches, curriculum, official uniforms and most importantly, principles and culture, to more than 55,000 kids and 5000 coaches in over 75 GPS-supported clubs across 11 states.

More at the link.

Meier

NYCFC kit leaked:

New-York-City-FC-2015-Kit-1-new.jpg

Looks quite good. Official unveiling is at 11:00 Eastern so there will be more photos shortly.

tbm24

I was hoping it'd be a deeper blue and not just the man city blue. Fairly disappointed but still going to have fun with the fact that they are letting season ticket holders put their face on the numbers of the kits.

Dartastic

I think I've come to the conclusion that if the Sounders make it to the MLS Cup and they're hosting it I might make the trip up there JUST to sit in the away supporters section and cheer against the Sounders.
LLShC.gif

I think I've come to the conclusion that if the Sounders make it to the MLS Cup and they're hosting it I might make the trip up there JUST to sit in the away supporters section and cheer against the Sounders.
LLShC.gif

If they make the MLS Cup they're hosting it seeing as how they're the Shield winners...

Esch

Banned
Can NYCFC and City actually do something like buying say, Marco Reus as a designated for NYCFC and then loan him back?

Meier

Can NYCFC and City actually do something like buying say, Marco Reus as a designated for NYCFC and then loan him back?

MLS has a say in transfers -- Marco Reus, even with his release clause making him more affordable than in the open market, would be too expensive for the league to even allow the signing I'm sure. David Villa and Frank Lampard were both free transfers and in Lampard's case, Man City are paying his entire wage while he is with the club. FFP is not an issue.

Meier

That kit is so wack.

It's official, our derby is the battle of the brands.

Etihad became the official airline of MLS in March. Did anyone expect anything different? That doesn't make the kit look bad -- it looks sharp as hell. The white accents at the neck and base of the sleeves are fantastic.

Osorio

Etihad became the official airline of MLS in March. Did anyone expect anything different? That doesn't make the kit look bad -- it looks sharp as hell. The white accents at the neck and base of the sleeves are fantastic.

I'm not talking about Etihad. I'm talking about this team being Chivas USA part two except with a Inter Milan copycat crest.

Anybody who jumps on this ship because Red Bull is too much of a brand is only kidding themselves.

tbm24

Wouldn't have minded a darker shade of blue but alas it is what it is. The kit is available for pre-order at the nycfc store. It's likely not needed whatsoever to do this but I'm impatient.

Meier

I'm not talking about Etihad. I'm talking about this team being Chivas USA part two except with a Inter Milan copycat crest.

Anybody who jumps on this ship because Red Bull is too much of a brand is only kidding themselves.

Again, it was always going to look similar to Man City. City Football Group is a global conglomerate. It would be like if Apple released a product in another country and didn't include the Apple logo or something. Sky blue is the biggest part of City's identity -- there was literally no chance at all that the team wouldn't use it as the primary shirt color. You have to have consistent branding.

The concept of Chivas USA was fine, it was the execution and their policies which caused issues. If NYCFC refuses to sign any Americans in a few years then you have a case.

Wouldn't have minded a darker shade of blue but alas it is what it is. The kit is available for pre-order at the nycfc store. It's likely not needed whatsoever to do this but I'm impatient.

I'm sure the away kit will be pretty cool. It'll be interesting to see how much freedom Adidas has on those. Nike has been able to do some pretty cool stuff in recent years for City.

Osorio

That's fine that they have to have consistent branding but when I hear people supporting NYCFC as if it isn't a brand compared to RBNY I have to laugh.

That's all I'm saying. If you want to support NYCFC because you're from the Bronx or you like Man City, or you're allergic to Jersey then whatever. But if I hear a NYCFC fan lambaste my team for being a brand, they're delusional.

I may be red/black, metro 'til I die, but I know where my money is going.

Nobody wins in this war of who is the more "genuine" club.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Man City North America it is, then. I will laugh in the face of every NYCFC supporter that says anything about us.

Chivas USA's legacy carries on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom