• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbm24

That's fine that they have to have consistent branding but when I hear people supporting NYCFC as if it isn't a brand compared to RBNY I have to laugh.

That's all I'm saying. If you want to support NYCFC because you're from the Bronx or you like Man City, or you're allergic to Jersey then whatever. But if I hear a NYCFC fan lambaste my team for being a brand, they're delusional.

I may be red/black, metro 'til I die, but I know where my money is going.

Nobody wins in this war of who is the more "genuine" club.

Is this a thing going on? I haven't spent much time seeing what NYCFC supports talk about to each other(mostly since I stay off social media personally) but is that really the sentiment against NYRB? I can't picture what an argument about that would even sound like.

Osorio

Is this a thing going on? I haven't spent much time seeing what NYCFC supports talk about to each other(mostly since I stay off social media personally) but is that really the sentiment against NYRB? I can't picture what an argument about that would even sound like.

I get into that argument whenever I mention I'm a RBNY season ticket holder and they're interested in NYCFC

I'm not one to count but I know it's been over a dozen times.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
Again, it was always going to look similar to Man City. City Football Group is a global conglomerate. It would be like if Apple released a product in another country and didn't include the Apple logo or something. Sky blue is the biggest part of City's identity -- there was literally no chance at all that the team wouldn't use it as the primary shirt color. You have to have consistent branding.

The concept of Chivas USA was fine, it was the execution and their policies which caused issues. If NYCFC refuses to sign any Americans in a few years then you have a case.

I'm sure the away kit will be pretty cool. It'll be interesting to see how much freedom Adidas has on those. Nike has been able to do some pretty cool stuff in recent years for City.

Here's Melbourne's City's kits for comparison:

82RHEUK.jpg

I don't think they have a problem with breaking the mold when it comes to their kits.

@EmpireofSoccer said:
Reyna says Villa is staying in NY. Villa says he doesn't know. Hmm. #NYCFC #MLS

What the hell?

Osorio

To be fair, Melbourne was a little different since they did a "Red Bull" there to the Melbourne Heart. That's why they have the red and white striped away kit.

Meier

Here's Melbourne's City's kits for comparison:

http://i.imgur.com/82RHEUK.jpg[IMG]

I don't think they have a problem with breaking the mold when it comes to their kits.
[/QUOTE]

In that case, they were not allowed by the A-League to switch: [url]http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/football/melbourne-city-is-born-but-cant-wear-manchester-citys-sky-blue/story-fnk6pqhd-1226944154908?nk=c39e3ef32e4640e3cb401157d8984bd4[/url]
[QUOTE]A dispute with the Victorian state league fourth division club of the same name, which is based in South Kingsville, has been resolved.

It was also assumed that Melbourne City would ditch its red and white colours in favour of the sky blue worn by Manchester City.

But the club’s attempts to do so were thwarted last week when Football Federation Australia and an independent arbitrator upheld a protest against the potential switch by Sydney FC, which already wears sky blue.[/QUOTE]

The team would have switched to sky blue if given the choice. In this case, they actually just used City's third kit from last year as the home kit.

Osorio

Ah, well good on the A-League then. I'm just happy we're possibly getting a Metro-themed jersey next year.

Even if we don't I might be making some of my own lol. After all, if it's a 20th anniversary jersey it'll be the old white/black ones with red and yellow in the middle (sound familiar?)

I'm working with some of my friends to bring more red and black flags, banners, scarves, etc.

Even if we don't I might be making some of my own lol. After all, if it's a 20th anniversary jersey it'll be the old white/black ones with red and yellow in the middle (sound familiar?)

I'm working with some of my friends to bring more red and black flags, banners, scarves, etc.

Black and white is a good combination for the cows.

xbhaskarx

Report: Manchester United sign 17-year-old Real Salt Lake youth product Josh Doughty
Because his parents are British citizens, Doughty does not need to be 18 to join a club in the United Kingdom. He remains eligible to represent Canada (where he was born), the US (where he has lived since age four and is expected to receive citizenship) or England.

Quotes:
Doughty continued over email, “I can play for Canada, England and hopefully will be eligible for the USA soon.” Having said that Josh has not yet chosen which country he will represent. “I am still undecided on which team I will play for at the moment.”

Doughty is the son of British parents, born in Canada, raised in Arizona following the families move into the US at the age of 4. “I am on schedule to receive my US citizenship in a few months, I am hopeful to have it before I turn 18 in April.”

Revs supporters have sold around 750 tickets to Leg 1.

Midnight Riders ‏@MidnightRiders 2m2 minutes ago
@NERevolution @NERebellion 644 on the buses. 764 total

well damn

Brian Bilello ‏@RevsPrez 1m1 minute ago
Keep going. We'll provide busses for up to 1150. #morebusses

Osorio

1150 Revs fans would be dope. As long as you'll act like you're there.

I remember Philly brought 1200 fans for a game at the end of the season maybe last year or something like that. They sang for about 7 minutes then sat down. What's the point?

Osorio

I am loving the intensifying of these I-95 matchups. We need to create the northeast version of the Cascadia Cup.

We have the Atlantic Cup already. I guess it can be extended to New England and Philly. The great megalopolis of hate.

But yeah it's fantastic to have 4 places (Montreal) that are easy to road trip to during the season. Then with NYCFC we'll have so many goddamn away days!

xbhaskarx

Former Chivas USA president Nelson Rodriguez appointed to new advisory role by US Soccer

After working during the past two decades for Major League Soccer and for much of this year, Chivas USA, Nelson Rodriguez is moving into a brand new position with US Soccer.

The federation announced Thursday that Rodriguez has been appointed to the newly-created position of Managing Director of National Team Advisory Services. In that role, Rodriguez will advise youth players and young professionals alike in the ins and outs of being a pro soccer player.

"After the World Cup this summer, Jurgen Klinsmann came to me with the idea that because the landscape for aspiring professionals has changed so significantly, providing basic counseling services to our young players would be very beneficial," US Soccer president Sunil Gulati said in a statement. "We believe Nelson can be an invaluable resource for our players and their families as they navigate this path. He brings an incredible amount of experience and integrity to this position, and we are excited about the potential."

We have the Atlantic Cup already. I guess it can be extended to New England and Philly. The great megalopolis of hate.

I think I'm gonna keep a table for next season for NE, NYRB, Philly, and DC and see how it turns out.

(I hate not having a nice initial for Philly).

Also I hope some Philly enthusiasm is brought back from the dead now that we'll have a competent GM...

xbhaskarx

Did Klinsmann overtrain US players?

Besler:
Besler admitted that he wasn’t in his best physical condition after a grueling World Cup campaign then returning to play out the rest of the season in MLS...

“Physically it was tough… it was tough. I’ve been asked that question [of his fitness] a lot,” Besler said. “I feel like when I say that I’m being truthful but it comes out as an excuse. I don’t want it to come out that way. It is every players dream to be playing in World Cups and then coming back to your club team. I will say that the pre-World Cup camp was the toughest camp of my entire life. We were doing three-a-days for a month up until the World Cup.”

Dartastic

That's what he said.

And Dart don't do that man. I saw a group of Philly fans in their Bethlehem Steel jerseys cheering against us in DC. Ugh.

I thought the if applied to the 'they're hosting it' part too
The "if they're hosting it" part is important because making the trip if you're an east coast team can potentially be difficult, and playing in Seattle is... Intimidating. I wanna help out the East coast team. Because fuck Seattle. It's not like I would travel anywhere just to boo them. But if I can lend my voice to someone in Seattle's house... I'm down with that.

Supporters groups have sold 900 tickets so far for Leg 1. Great pace

The "if they're hosting it" part is important because making the trip if you're an east coast team can potentially be difficult, and playing in Seattle is... Intimidating. I wanna help out the East coast team. Because fuck Seattle. It's not like I would travel anywhere just to boo them. But if I can lend my voice to someone in Seattle's house... I'm down with that.

When did you get juniored?

It's stupidly tempting to fly out for it if the Revs make it, but the money..

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Supporters groups have sold 900 tickets so far for Leg 1. Great pace

When did you get juniored?

It's stupidly tempting to fly out for it if the Revs make it, but the money..

I know what you mean. If we make it past you guys I'm pretty tempted to make the trip myself.

- ESPNFC: Jurgen Klinsmann firm on young player advice as MLS frustration grows
MLS or Europe? U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann insists that every young player is advised according to his own individual situation but MLS executives are not happy. Both sides have spoken to ESPN FC.

EDIT:
On Oct. 15, Major League Soccer commissioner Don Garber took issue with U.S. national team manager Jurgen Klinsmann for comments that were deemed "detrimental" to MLS.

Garber objected to Klinsmann saying it would be "very difficult" for U.S. internationals Michael Bradley and Clint Dempsey to maintain their best form after the duo returned to play in MLS after extended spells in Europe.

Now it appears there was more to Garber's ire than met the eye. Seattle Sounders minority owner Adrian Hanauer, Philadelphia Union CEO and Operating Partner Nick Sakiewicz and several other sources, have told ESPN FC that there is growing frustration within the league over the advice Klinsmann and U.S. soccer staff are giving to youth national team and MLS academy players.

At issue, according to sources, is an approach whereby Klinsmann and his surrogates are advising those players to sign with European clubs and bypass MLS. To this end, the U.S. Soccer Federation has been organizing training stints and trials for various youth national team players, the better to showcase those players for overseas clubs.

It's cool, it's not like anyone outside your section will be able to hear you guys anyway

Esch

Banned
Wait a minute... NYCFC's inaugural season is going to be at Yankee Stadium?

My god that's going to be shit for both teams.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Wait a minute... NYCFC's inaugural season is going to be at Yankee Stadium?

My god that's going to be shit for both teams.

Yep, it's lucky they found a spot for their stadium otherwise they'd be there even longer. From what I can tell most of the seats will utterly suck due to the shape, but will still cost as much as NYRB seats.

Arials

@mixedknuts said:
MLS average wages sandwiched between Greece and Colombia at #22

That table omits a few notable leagues, mainly the 2nd divisions of all the big 5 European nations (except England). 2. Bundesliga probably wouldn't have much trouble bouncing MLS down another place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom