• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

A well deserved return.

Klinsi with some ??? subs imo, we're getting outplayed in the midfield and he decides to put in a new striker.

Well, it is a friendly after all. Forward is more of a question mark for us than midfield IMO so giving Wood some time makes sense.

Esch

Banned
Better side won.

I really hope our young strikers can refine their finishing ability, Wood and Rubin had some missed chances that hurt.

Our midfield got bossed too, we're desperately looking for a proper playmaker.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Better side won.

I really hope our young strikers can refine their finishing ability, Wood and Rubin had some missed chances that hurt.

Our midfield got bossed too, we're desperately looking for a proper playmaker.

Wood, I'm not sure why he keeps getting called up but if Rubin can refine his finishing he'll be really damn good.

Concerning to see the US continually get outplayed in these games and cough up goals late. At least it was Colombia this time around.

Nice first appearance for Rubin, and Garza continued to lock down the left back spot. Beckerman did very well, too, and Nguyen showed a few things in his cameo. Hope Lee gets more time next week. Mix and Johnson were disappointing. Jones did ok sweeping up at centerback, but his aerial play and marking aren't great. Not sure how he develops those skills if he's playing as a center midfielder with his club.

Concerning to see the US continually get outplayed in these games and cough up goals late. At least it was Colombia this time around.

Nice first appearance for Rubin, and Garza continued to lock down the left back spot. Beckerman did very well, too, and Nguyen showed a few things in his cameo. Hope Lee gets more time next week. Mix and Johnson were disappointing. Jones did ok sweeping up at centerback, but his aerial play and marking aren't great. Not sure how he develops those skills if he's playing as a center midfielder with his club.

I don't think Lee or Jones is going to play against Ireland.

I don't think Lee or Jones is going to play against Ireland.
Oh yeah, that's right. Most (all?) of the MLS playoff guys heading home.

In any case, I think he'll be given consideration in the future. Klinsmann doesn't tend to give guys much PT in their first camp appearances, so hopefully there's more in store for him down the road.

Esch

Banned
Wood, I'm not sure why he keeps getting called up but if Rubin can refine his finishing he'll be really damn good.
TBH I guess he got the callup just cause. Agudelo is without a club, Aron is injured.

In the future, I really would like to see Zardes and maybe even Charlie Davies give it a try

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
TBH I guess he got the callup just cause. Agudelo is without a club, Aron is injured.

In the future, I really would like to see Zardes and maybe even Charlie Davies give it a try

That's probably it. Hopefully with Aron coming back this'll be the last we see of him for a while.

xbhaskarx

Ridiculous to wait so long before bringing in Nguyen, who just has a few minutes to make things happen with a rotating cast of substitutes...

Defense (Garza-Brooks-Jones-Yedlin) looked good, Yedlin didn't when attacking for the most part, aside from once or twice.

People are already biased against Wood after he screwed up in his debut but I thought he did fine this time.

Johnson and Diskerud were shaky but I'm not too worried about either. Green on the other hand still looks like a boy amongst men. Even Twellman said Rubin looks 25 and Green looks like a teenager. Even that's being kind, he looked ten on that second goal.

For all his talk of dynamic creative technical attacking blah blah Klinsmann sure loves his known mediocrities (Bedoya, Zusi, starting Davis vs Germany) and defensive midfielders, Morales being the latest. Meanwhile Nguyen only gets a few minutes even though he has to leave after the first game...

xbhaskarx

Charlie Davies was half dead. He's had like twenty surgeries. Plus he will be 32 at the next World Cup. I'm happy for him that he still has a pro career and scored a few goals, but let's be realistic.

There are plenty of options that are younger and don't have one leg 1.5 inches shorter than the other who deserve a look, both in Europe (Wooten, isn't Boyd back?) and MLS (Silva, Finlay, McInerney, etc).

Meier

I thought Wood looked fine. That save by Vargas after the move that Lee started was quality. I think we definitely need to see more of him (Nguyen) -- as was pointed out by the announcers, when he has the ball in that spot, he's been a terror this season. He could be a very good catalyst.

From the same Mirror/SportingIntel series, attendance numbers:
zoxQWOo.jpg

Also, a few more takes on yesterday:

- Galarcep: Ives Galarcep: Klinsmann optimistic despite loss to superior Colombia
- Sciaretta: 6 Thoughts on Colombia's Win Over the United States

cashman

Banned
I feel like Klinsmann is spot on with the euro stuff. Top national team players really shouldn't be playing in the MLS unless it's for a late career cash grab.

xbhaskarx

Armchair Analyst: Jurgen Klinsmann's USMNT continues worrisome second-half trends

"The fact is this: post-World Cup, they can not stay in games in the second half. That has to be concerning for Jurgen Klinsmann and his staff." -- Taylor Twellman

Taylor's right. Friday's 2-1 loss to Colombia marked yet another second-half collapse, the USMNT's third in four post-World Cup games.

In fact, this marks the first time in the past 20 years that the US have lost or settled for a draw in three straight games after allowing a goal in the 85th minute or later.

But the starting point for that timeline is earlier than Twellman gave it credit for. You can go back to the 2-1 loss to Belgium, when the Yanks were outscored 2-1 in extra time. Or you could go back one game before that, when they gave up a second-half goal to Germany for a 1-0 loss.

Over those six games - four friendlies and two World Cup games - the US have taken a desired result into the break six times. They've finished the game with a desired result just once.

Or you could go back even further, to the start of June. That'll give you a 10-game sample size, which is enough to be statistically significant.

So here you go: Over the last 10 games, Klinsmann's team have conceded nine goals in the 80th minute or beyond.

His teams run on fumes. Read Matt Besler's comments in THIS article for an idea as to why.

Whether it's the first ever win in Mexico City or the first loss ever to Jamaica, Klinsmann continues to make history...

2. Pretty re-debut

The story of "What Might Have Been" with Lee Nguyen is becoming irresistable, because this is just beyond lovely:
GlamorousFondAxolotl.gif

This was Nguyen's first US appearance in over seven years, and he looked 100 percent up to it both in terms of the speed and the intensity of the game. He was quick to close down defensively, and the run to start this play was as sublime as the touch on that pass.

That's the difference that Nguyen brings to the No. 10 role as opposed to Diskerud (who had a clunker) or Bradley (who's not a No. 10). He is, first and foremost, an attacker, and when space opens up in front of him, he will take it.

Still pretty infuriating that Nguen didn't come on until the 78th minute, or get called in before the World Cup (hell the Revs were the most entertaining team in MLS even last season)...

xbhaskarx

San Antonio Scorpions top Fort Lauderdale Strikers for NASL title

The San Antonio Scorpions claimed their first NASL title in franchise history on Saturday night in Texas, riding a stunning bicycle kick from midfielder Rafael Castillo in the 69th minute to top the Fort Lauderdale Strikers, 2-1.

Castillo volleyed home the goal off an assist from former Houston Dynamo Homegrown player Josue Soto to give the Scorpions a 1-0 lead, and then assisted on a goal for Billy Forbes to pad the lead in the 76th minute.

The Strikers rallied behind an equalizer from Walter Ramirez in the 79th minute, but MLS veteran goalkeeper Josh Saunders kept the Strikers at bay down the stretch to lock down the win in front of nearly 8,000 fans at Toyota Field in San Antonio.

IdealCompassionateAsiansmallclawedotter.gif

Arials

Do the Championship teams really play 552 games a year?

And it still finds time to stop during international breaks.

Wigan Athletic played, a frankly ridiculous, 62 competitive games last season, then had 3 of their players go off to the world cup at the end of the season.

Arials

...because you can always upgrade on good, and tbh if you look at their group critically it doesn't seem that good, especially for a team with title aspirations and a manager who plays 4-4-2:

Outside of that hot streak Zardes hasn't proven himself as a prolific scorer and he now only has one goal in his last nine games, Gordon is old and Arena probably only ever brought him in as an impact sub, Keane is one of the best in the league but will be 35 at the start of next season, Donovan is retiring and taking 10+ goals and assists per season with him, Jamieson doesn't look ready for the step up yet.

...if Donovan was staying they'd be ok, but as it is I'd be looking to add a new starting striker for next season.

Business Insider:

Nearly one-third of the league's total payroll goes to seven players, and only 15 of the 572 players in the league make $1 million or more while many make under $50,000.

As a result, the average salary in MLS is just $213,000 per year according to SportingIntelligence.com. That ranks just 21st among the world's top football leagues and is a big reason many experts won't rank MLS among the top ten leagues in the world.

01-646.png

Can't wait for the CBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom