• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osorio

Wanted Ozzie in the final but oh well.

Rematch of the 2005 Cup final where LA won to become the first team to win the championship with a below .500 record

Gotta say I like the away goal rule.

Always hated OT

No penalties is great too

Yep. As a Sounders supporter the away goals rule helped us in the first round but defeated us against L.A.

Teams seemed more aggressive this postseason and avoiding extra time is a huge positive.

Also Cox DVR fucked up the two biggest Sounders games this year for me. (Tonight and the Supporter Shield win against L.A.) so a great big FUCK YOU to them.

Osorio

This final has a chance for (relatively) huge ratings.

Donovan

MVLee

Charlie Davies comeback

LA trying to break MLS Cup record

NE trying to not be worse than the Buffalo Bills

NoRéN

LA wins with away goals rules:

PLAYOFFS WOOOOOoooooooo... ooo

iZCyde1jCeok4.gif

Sounders got to the Western Conference final on away goals.

Playoffs woooooo

Cystm

NoRéN;141077524 said:
Sounders got to the Western Conference final on away goals.

Playoffs woooooo

I think you are under the impression I give a shit about the Sounders to the extent that this is a salty reaction based on their loss. I am a Chicago supporter. The fact that the Sounders got a win in this way is equally horseshit to me.

I hate watching away goals rules matches. It's just really underwhelming and I would rather see teams going into triple OT than this boring ass garbage.

Meier

Seattle knew what was required of them after failing to score at home. They had 60 mins to get a third goal and couldn't do it. No issues at all with the rule.

Osorio

Thanks for the shield Henry.

His best goal for us was the equalizer in that game against Chicago. Magee scored first and everybody was feeling like it was a that's so metro moment again. Then he hits that bomb that dazzles the shit out of Sean Johnson

Cystm

Seattle knew what was required of them after failing to score at home. They had 60 mins to get a third goal and couldn't do it. No issues at all with the rule.

Having to score that many goals against an opponent that is equal to you is not really realistic nor is it very sporting to have to sit there and watch a team score a single goal in each game and have that be the difference maker even though they were down a goal in the second match.

My ideal series make up would be best of 3 with a day off in between the first two matches of the series and two off days before the third match if needed. Matches are 90 minutes with two 15 minute overtime halves - golden/silver goal
I swear I am not French.
if needed. Penalties after that.

Away goal aggregate rules make "wins" underwhelming and are not fun at all to watch in almost any context. It lessens the post season and makes football look so ridiculous.

ngower

Flight booked to LA (well, Long Beach). So very broke. I don't really have the money for an MLS Cup ticket or a hotel right now, so this should be fun.

Mully

All we asked of him after the game was for one more year. Just give us one more year. Please you beautiful French man.

Meier

Away goal aggregate rules make "wins" underwhelming and are not fun at all to watch in almost any context. It lessens the post season and makes football look so ridiculous.
I really think it's the exact opposite. A team has to go all out if they're in a hole like that and it can make for some very exciting finishes.

Esch

Banned
The only time away goals is wack / not validated with waves of tears is when a team advances with a scoreless draw. Otherwise it's pretty entertaining I think.

Askani

I sort of feel bad for missing most of the playoffs. Should have watched the games this weekend, but I'm just so "sportsed out". Royals postseason on top of everything else really took it out of me. I'll have a date with the final for sure though.

Side note, people probably already know this, but I just caught this as I was watching Hellboy last night. He's a MetroStars fan:

This article is from a few weeks ago, but it's some food for thought regarding the away goals rule:

Not happy about the away-goals rule? "Fair" has nothing to do with it
The arguments against away goals seem to fall into two camps: The first being that it’s an unfair way to determine a winner, the second is that it’s a byproduct of the American Soccer Inferiority Complex™.

I’ll only explicitly address the first point, but I do believe they are implicitly linked.

I wholeheartedly agree that the away-goals rule is not the fairest method of identifying a superior team. But neither are repeated kicks from the penalty mark. And, in a similar vein, 90-minute games themselves very often don’t send the better team through to the next round. Sports are not fair. And the madness caused by this inefficiency is, perhaps, a large part of what we’re all addicted to.

Is the away-goals rule inferior to other possible methods of tie-breaking? It depends on what we’re optimizing for. On the spectrum of “coin-flip” to “algorithmic,” the away-goals rule sits proudly in the middle. But what is that spectrum?

Hint: it’s not “fairness.”

There seems to be a misunderstanding about what “fair” actually means. A coin-flip is fair – that’s the point of a coin flip. In searching for the ideal tiebreaker, seeking fairness is the wrong avenue of attack. You can find perfectly legitimate mechanisms for fairness in your front pocket.

This scale is actually measured in units of “randomness,” ranging from “completely unpredictable” to “entirely predictable.” This nuance reframes the entire away-goals rule debate into a much more interesting discussion about how much randomness belongs in our game. Less than a coin-flip, right?

My personal opinion is that the tie-breaking procedure should incorporate as much randomness as a natural 90-minute game. Estimating randomness is not an easy task, but my intuition suggests that while the away-goals rule is crude, it reaches its decision purely on the random events that happen during a natural match.

It is, in other words, a soccer solution to a soccer problem. And that – when you really think about it – is pretty fair.
He's addressing the 'fairness' of the procedure whereas the entertainment value (does it actually produce more exciting matches?) is another issue.

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I sort of feel bad for missing most of the playoffs. Should have watched the games this weekend, but I'm just so "sportsed out". Royals postseason on top of everything else really took it out of me. I'll have a date with the final for sure though.

Side note, people probably already know this, but I just caught this as I was watching Hellboy last night. He's a MetroStars fan:

Yeah I noticed that the last time I popped in our Hellboy DVD.

Osorio

not a great source. And how is he ever going to get a work permit. At 28, I don't think he goes abroad, which is perfectly fine to be honest. I hope he brings his MLS form to the national team.

Would having a Vietnamese passport change anything (assuming he has one)?

xbhaskarx

10 Reasons to Watch the NCAA Soccer Tournament

According to multiple sources within MLS and college soccer that American Soccer Now has contacted, the best defender in college soccer this year is Georgetown sophomore Joshua Yaro. He will lead the Hoyas against Syracuse Sunday in Washington, D.C. in a match-up of former Big East rivals who met at this stage of the tournament two years ago with Georgetown prevailing on penalty kicks.

A native of Ghana who spent four years prepping at the Cate School outside Santa Barbara, Calif., Yaro is listed at five-foot-eleven and combines elite athleticism with a heady reading of the game and enough ball skills that some scouts project him as a defensive midfielder at the next level.

“He plays center back for them now and he could play there in our league but I think he projects more as a right back with his pace but the way he sees the field he could even play as a holding midfielder. When he goes forward, you see the ball skills that make you think he could play midfield.” said an MLS scout who has watched Georgetown several times and whose club asks that he not be identified.

Of Yaro’s pace, Georgetown coach Brian Wiese says “no one in college is faster. Not many in MLS are faster. He’s (DeAndre) Yedlin-fast.”

MLS newcomer Orlando City holds the top pick in January’s MLS SuperDraft and it is, sources say, quite smitten with Yaro and recently had most of its technical staff at a Hoyas game to watch him. But whether he is available in the draft hinges on him signing a Generation Adidas contract, which MLS makes all underclassmen sign to be draft-eligible. And while Yaro is interested, he won’t give up a scholarship to Georgetown, where tuition and room-and-board costs about $65,000 a year, without a substantial investment from MLS.

“Playing professionally is something he wants to do and if there’s an offer when the season is over he’ll listen and if it’s a good offer he may leave,” said Wiese. “But it has to have two things. It has to be enough (money) that it makes sense to leave a scholarship from Georgetown and it has to include a path for him to still finish his degree. He’s a dean’s list student and very serious about finishing school.”

I read a few months ago that Yaro had no interest in leaving college early but this makes it sound like he might if the money is good enough...

NoRéN

I think you are under the impression I give a shit about the Sounders to the extent that this is a salty reaction based on their loss. I am a Chicago supporter. The fact that the Sounders got a win in this way is equally horseshit to me.

I hate watching away goals rules matches. It's just really underwhelming and I would rather see teams going into triple OT than this boring ass garbage.

No, I meant I don't like the rule either because of crap like the sounders going through on 2 draws. Aside from being a Galaxy fan, I would have hated for the west to be represented by a team that played for draws.

Then again, I can't stand penalties so, i don't know. I'm conflicted.

I think draws should be settled with a wiener dog race or something.

xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx

Sacramento Republic moving ahead on bigger Bonney Field, MLS bid

Sacramento's professional soccer team formally will ask the Cal Expo board of directors next month for approval to expand Bonney Field.

Sacramento Republic FC President Warren Smith said the team is asking to be able to add 6,000 seats to the stadium for a maximum of 14,000. But the plan for now calls for only about 3,000 more seats for next season, on top of the existing 8,000.

Every home game sold out last season, and the team is poised for strong attendance next year as well. "All I can say is we've got 1,700 additional deposits for 2015, so things are trending very well," Smith said.

The team had about 5,600 season tickets last year, and 85 percent of those have renewed, he said.

Dartastic

Fuck yesssssss. Looks like the Timbers may be getting Adam Larsen Kwarasey, aka the starting goalkeeper for the Ghana national team.

Osorio

Henry leaving is just a mere sting right now but it's really gonna suck when he signs somewhere else.

Also, who is the next captain? And will they use the red and black armband?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Henry leaving is just a mere sting right now but it's really gonna suck when he signs somewhere else.

Also, who is the next captain? And will they use the red and black armband?

I'd put money on him going back to Arsenal for a grand finale.

If Cahill stays I bet he'll be the new captain, if he doesn't then I've got nothing.

xbhaskarx

TV Report: MLS playoff viewers on NBCSN up 56%

The final MLS match on NBCSN -- Saturday's New England-New York playoff game -- drew 267,490 viewers. For three postseason games, NBCSN averaged 286,000 viewers, up 56 percent from the average for six postseason games in 2013 -- and up 149 percent from the average for eight games in 2012, the network's first season.

Earlier on Saturday, the Tottenham-Everton EPL game averaged 325,640 viewers on NBCSN. The NBC Sports Network did not renew its three-year agreement with MLS. ESPN and Fox will share the MLS rights, beginning in 2015.

MLS Playoffs on NBCSN:
AVG. MATCH, DATE
205,000 Real Salt Lake-LA Galaxy, Nov. 1
386,000 Seattle-FC Dallas, Nov. 10
267,490 New England-New York, Nov. 29

2014 Average: 286,000
2013 Average: 181,000
2013 Average: 115,000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom