• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xbhaskarx

Chicago Fire Sign Nigerian Forward Kennedy Igboananike

The Chicago Fire Soccer Club announced Tuesday that the club has signed Nigerian striker Kennedy Igboananike. Igboananike will occupy a Designated Player slot and will be added to the Fire’s roster for the 2015 season pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and his P1 Visa. Per MLS and team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“Kennedy is a dynamic goal scorer with a track record of producing,” said Fire head coach Frank Yallop. “He’s young and exciting, a player with incredible pace, and we look forward to adding him to our roster to bolster our attack.

xbhaskarx

Looks like the A-team is back in
B34sdVlIEAAUKIx.jpg:large
Silva, Wright, Barbir, Pulisic, De La Torre, Perez, Zendejas...

Videos from the previous game are up...
U-17 MNT vs. Australia: Highlights – Nov. 30, 2014

U-17 MNT vs. Australia: Reaction – Nov. 30, 2014

xbhaskarx

1-1, Wright to Pulisic... Wright hasn't done much this tournament but that goal was all him.
Pulisic's third goal has him tied for the golden boot. 17 this year is one behind Wright.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
It's going to be in an industrial area right? I hope they get a stadium. RFK is falling apart according to a number of supporters that have been there.

It's an industrial area. It is only a few blocks away from Nationals Park. RFK is a dump but I enjoy it. I like the bouncing stands.

#RBNY declined options on Saer Sene, Kosuke Kimura, Bobby Convey, Marius Obekop, Damien Perrinelle, Ibrahim Sekagaya & Richard Eckersley.

Red Bulls did say Obekop, Perrinelle and Sekagya are still in discussions for 2015. Ostensibly everybody else expected back. We'll see #RBNY

Brian Lewis NYPost

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
#RBNY declined options on Saer Sene, Kosuke Kimura, Bobby Convey, Marius Obekop, Damien Perrinelle, Ibrahim Sekagaya & Richard Eckersley.

Red Bulls did say Obekop, Perrinelle and Sekagya are still in discussions for 2015. Ostensibly everybody else expected back. We'll see #RBNY

Brian Lewis NYPost

Why are we ditching Eckersley? He did really well in the playoffs and we've had a revolving door in that position.

EDIT: Maybe we're planning on bringing someone solid in with some of the money that got freed up now that Henry is gone?

xbhaskarx

10 players called to United States U-20 Men’s National Team duty by head coach Tab Ramos on Tuesday as the squad travels to Bradenton, Fla. for a fitness camp.
The U-20 MNT have a 4-1-2 international record this year, highlighted by their championship run at the 2014 National Training Center Invitational in July. The squad will convene once more in December for another fitness camp, this time in Honduras starting on Dec. 15.

The USA will take a break after the foreign fitness camp with their next reunion coming in January as they prepare for the 2015 CONCACAF U-20 Championship in Jamaica from Jan. 9-24. The Americans were drawn with Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, Aruba, Panama and Guatemala in Group A for that event and open against Guatemala on Jan. 9 with an aim of qualifying for the 2015 FIFA U-20 World Cup in New Zealand.

U.S. U-20 MNT Roster by Position:

Goalkeepers (0): None

Defenders (4): Conor Donovan (North Carolina State; Fuquay Varina, N.C.), Matthew Miazga (New York Red Bulls; Clifton, N.J.), Shaquell Moore (Unattached; Powder Springs, Ga.), Tyler Turner (Orlando City SC; West Haven, Conn.)

Midfielders (3): Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas; Plano, Texas), Marco Delgado (Toronto FC; Glendora, Calif.), Romain Gall (Columbus Crew; Herndon, Va.)

Forwards (3): Bradford Jamieson IV (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), Zach Pfeffer (Philadelphia Union; Dresher, Pa.), Tommy Thompson (San Jose Earthquakes; Loomis, Calif.)

I know it's a fitness camp but I've never seen a roster without a goalkeeper before.

Osorio

Why are we ditching Eckersley? He did really well in the playoffs and we've had a revolving door in that position.

EDIT: Maybe we're planning on bringing someone solid in with some of the money that got freed up now that Henry is gone?

Because he costs too much. TFC was paying for half his salary, otherwise we wouldn't have taken him.

Perrinelle was a total waste of time. Where was it confirmed that Armando is leaving?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Because he costs too much. TFC was paying for half his salary, otherwise we wouldn't have taken him.

Perrinelle was a total waste of time. Where was it confirmed that Armando is leaving?

That would explain it. I don't see why we would keep Armando.

Osorio

I guess we're going to keep Duvall and maybe bringing in someone better.

Hoping for a solid CB, LW, CAM, and F this off-season

Osorio

Says that players not named in the BLewis post are expected to be back next season

So that means Cahill and Peguy?

Nice.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NoRéN;141382735 said:
Whatever happened to Vegas and their MLS team idea?

Wasn't it slated to join up in like 2017 or so if it became a thing? It's too early for them to even pick a coach, let alone put a team together. I remember the last time we heard about it they were talking about a stadium and had a spot picked out.

xbhaskarx

NoRéN;141382735 said:
Whatever happened to Vegas and their MLS team idea?
They were one of the four expansion bids mentioned today by Garber (Minneaota x 2, Sacramento, Vegas) that are currently meeting with the league.

Brian Lewis NYPost

I don't mind this. Sene, Convey, and Perrinelle were worthless. I only remember Perrinelle playing in their last CONCACAF game. If he ever came on as a sub during the year, I don't remember it. Why they signed him is beyond me.

If anything, I wouldn't mind Kimura, Sekagaya, and Eckersley (even though he's too reckless for my liking) sticking around for less money. Thing is, in the back, I want to see Miazga and Duvall start throughout the year.

- Greg Seltzer with a few quick notes on Diskerud:
There will be a full MLS report on this probably tomorrow, but for now I can now confirm he currently has interest from clubs in MLS, Greece, Russia, Ukraine and two western European countries. Given my usual beat, past history with the player and his style, you can surely guess one of those places without trying. The other will stay in a vest pocket for now.

This is all, naturally, on top of extension talks with Rosenborg and the standing offers from Qatar.

I just received a survey from MLS regarding the playoff format:
Potential Major League Post-Season Format

Major League Soccer is considering altering the 2015 post-season format to a 12-club playoff. Under this potential format, the fourth and fifth place clubs in each conference play each other in a single knockout match. The third and sixth place clubs in each conference also play each other in a single knockout match. The winners advance to the Conference Semifinals.

The lowest seed to advance past the knockout stage will face the first place club in their conference. The highest seed to advance past the knockout stage will face the second place club in their conference.

The Conference Semifinals will be decided by a two-match aggregate series, with the lower seed hosting the first match and the higher seed hosting the second match.

The two Conference Championships will also be decided by a two-match aggregate series, with the lower seed hosting the first match and the higher seed hosting the second match.

MLS Cup remains as a single championship match hosted by the higher seed.

Looks like BWP is a DP now.

Avi Creditor ‏@AviCreditor 15s15 seconds ago
BWP gets two more initials: DP. Red Bulls make it official. #MLS

Andrew Das ‏@AndrewDasNYT 1m1 minute ago
Payoff arrives for Bradley Wright-Phillips: @NewYorkRedBulls have signed him as a DP for 2015.

Jeff-DSA

It's honestly the biggest joke. I can't believe how criminal this all is. In a year when Rimando was clearly the best keeper, in a year when he claimed the all-time shutout record, in a year when he did great work for his club and the USMNT, he loses to Bill Hamid.

Being a sports fan in Utah generally means you get to watch your players get ignored for recognition when it's very much deserved so that some bigger market person can get sucked off by the media despite deserving it less.

Askani

DeRo's option declined at Toronto: http://www.prostamerika.com/2014/12...aft/106812?utm_source=NASR&utm_medium=twitter

Dwayne De Rosario is among the four players whose options have been declined by Toronto FC. The others are Ryan Richter; midfielder Jeremy Hall; forwards and Andrew Wiedeman.

Former Portland striker Bright Dike’s contract has expired and the five are all eligible for the re-entry draft.

Bobby Convey probably retiring and other Red Bull news: http://www.sbisoccer.com/2014/12/ready-approach-begins.html

Sources tell SBI the club is preparing to part ways with several veterans, which began late on Tuesday with the announcement of some contract options not being picked up.

Bobby Convey, who has not been seen at the club in some months, was one of those players. Sources have told SBI that Convey, whose locker room has been empty for some time and not been made available to media, is leaning towards retirement after dealing with a problematic health issue since August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom