• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Straus in SI: MLS to expand playoff field to 12 in 2015, will add extra knockout games
Major League Soccer’s playoff format will change again in 2015, when 12 teams will vie for the MLS Cup trophy rather than the current 10. An announcement could come as early as next week, according to a source with knowledge of the decision.

This year has been the fourth in which 10 clubs have qualified for the postseason and the third featuring a 19-team regular season circuit. But the league is growing.

There will be 20 clubs in 2015 (thanks to the departure of Chivas USA and the addition of Orlando City and New York City FC), then 22 in 2017 when Atlanta and Los Angeles FC come aboard. By the time MLS reaches 24 clubs in 2019-2020, the playoff qualification rate will have fallen back to 50 percent -- assuming there are no subsequent changes to the playoff format.

The new MLS Cup format calls for an increase in knockout-round matches from two to four.

Under the current system, the fourth- and fifth-place finishers in each conference meet in a one-game playoff that sends the winner to face the top seed. Starting next season, the third-place team in each conference will host the sixth seed in one single-elimination game while No. 4 hosts No. 5 in the other. The four conference semifinalists then will be reseeded to ensure the first-place finisher faces off against the lowest-ranked knockout round survivor. The bracket will look like the one used in the NFL since 1990.

The Eastern and Western conference semifinals and finals will remain as two-game series featuring the away-goals tiebreaker. The MLS Cup final will remain a single match.

Next season’s 60 percent MLS playoff qualification rate (and the 50 percent rate expected in 2020) compares to 53.3 percent in the NBA and NHL, 37.5 percent in the NFL and 33.3 percent in Major League Baseball.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's always then same shit with us, if Peguy or Cahill had made those missed shots (shots they should have buried) we go through. I can't be too mad, we put up an amazing fight.

Cystm

That game should have continued on. It was too good for it to be cut short on aggregate.

Henry's career and NY beverages season ends well, but could have even been better if the game went to OT.

Nesotenso

Increasing the number of playoff spots is just stupid. I am not sure I am even in favor of letting half the league into the post season when there are 24 teams.

ATF487

Just got back from Gillette. Scrappy game but it was a great time, can't believe they're going to the final. Hope they don't lose again!

Osorio

Bound to happen. A defense like ours isn't meant to be champion.

Fun season all around though, I'm already excited for the next one.

Metrooooooo

Mully

An hour away from Penn right now. It's silent on the bus, but we're proud. We had a good crowd, and we played pretty well considering the circumstances. We probably should have gotten a few calls in the Revs end during the final minutes there, but it was a chippy game.

I'm definitely going on away trips going forward. Hung out with a lot of the regulars of the ESC today. Made a lot of friends and hopefully got a few good leads on some stories going forward.

I got out of the parking lot within 10 to 15 minutes, my brother was there for probably an hour though. It was weird considering we were almost parked in the same section...

I stayed after to watch the trophy presentation. Didn't get out for at least a half hour or so from the season ticket holder lot

Glad the Revs won and also glad MLS Cup won't be played in Gillette.

Sad about the possible end for Henry and Cahill in MLS and parting ways with NBCSN. The channel portrayed the league with complete respect when not many outlets would.

We'll always have EPL Kyle Martino.

xbhaskarx

1-1

15th min., U-17 #USMNT's McKinze Gaines with equalizer! Da Silva w/ the assist. USA 1, AUS 1 #NikeFriendlies

Australia with a heavy attack early on, captain Joe Caletti opens with a 3rd min. goal, unassisted: USA 0, AUS 1 #NikeFriendlies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom