• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dartastic

This seems shocking:

Grant Wahl ‏@GrantWahl 24 minutes ago
Hearing Portland has acquired Nat Borchers in a trade with Salt Lake for allocation money. Good veteran MLS defender.​

I don't like the guy for arbitrary reasons, but good move for Portland.
I uh, am very pleased with this move. It's temporary for sure, but it seems like we basically are getting a much, much higher quality CB for exactly what we're paying for Kah, who was not very good this season. Borchers has a much greater pedigree in this league than Kah as well. Oh man. Borchers and Ridgewell as CBs with Kwarasey in goal? Holy FUCK YES. OUR DEFENSIVE PROBLEMS MIGHT BE SOLVED.

Cystm

Kind of.

He was okay in 2002. It'd be insane of me to say he should have been better than Kahn considering how well he played throughout the tournament, but I feel like some of the disdain for Howard has to do with his jealousy for not getting the same recognition in '02.

The 2002 WC reminds me of how much that hand ball that made me so bitter with Die Adler and how close we came to upsetting the world.

God damn it.

On the other hand, it also reminded me of this photo shoot:

i84XHzonxxBAI.jpg
ik4melJioQEmi.jpg
ikGL6sMcSSabf.jpg

Mcbride. :(

lol

Nyx

Rubin starts again on Sunday as a ''10'', bet he will be in the starting line-up for the rest of the season.

Askani

Houston Chronicle writer says:

Jose de Jesus Ortiz ‏@OrtizKicks 29 minutes ago
As Owen Coyle is on a flight to Houston now, Dynamo brass is informing Wade Barrett & Steve Ralston they didn't get the head coach's job.​

Ticket prices are lol-worthy

$10-$20-$30-$40 and it would have sold out in an hour

I did actually forget about the ridiculous prices. Donovan effect? I didn't think they were near that expensive in 2012.

Looks like mlssoccer.com is running a beta of the new version of the website in case anyone wants to take a look.

THAT'S where it's from. Someone tweeted a pic and I had no idea where the site they got it from was. Thanks.

Tim Howard: Jurgen Klinsmann micromanaged 2014 World Cup team

Goalie Tim Howard said in his new autobiography that coach Jurgen Klinsmann micromanaged the 2014 United States World Cup team, ESPN FC reports.

Howard, who is taking a sabbatical from the team until Sept. 2015, said Klinsmann made several changes to the team including banning cell phones from the locker room and going as far as changing what food players were allowed to eat.

"I'd spent my whole life eating PB&Js; somehow, under Jurgen, the sandwich morphed into a natural version of the staple that was practically unrecognizable ... and to my taste buds, inedible," Howard wrote in his new book, "The Keeper," which is due out Tuesday.

The team had a successful run in the World Cup, reaching the Round of 16. Howard said the players were not happy with Klinsmann's management style, but tolerated it because of his previous success with Germany.

"None of the players argued with Jurgen, but you could sense misgivings from their body language, a kind of tension when they were around him," wrote Howard of the training sessions leading up to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. "Jurgen was even determined to change our breathing."

xbhaskarx just smiled

blurrygil

xbhaskarx

I'm not happy about it, I wish Klinsmann was a competent coach instead of playing half the team out of position and putting his players through three a days for a month before the World Cup.

All Klinsmann needs to do is tell Holden to put cheese soaked in alcohol on his injured knee and he's just a smiling Felix Magath (without the three Bundesliga titles).

These might have gotten lost in the pre-MLS Cup hype, but both of these are worth a read.

Bruce Arena is always a good interview:

If you want information on what both sides are pushing for in the upcoming CBA discussions:

The latter gets somewhat technical, but it's a good overview of what's at stake.

Meier

Sounds kinda like Timmy went scorched earth in his new book with those comments and the Brad Friedel stuff. I will say this, usually if someone has a decent CV, then recommendation letters just kinda get thrown on a letterhead and signed.. they are rarely edited and sent back differently.

Arials

Sounds kinda like Timmy went scorched earth in his new book with those comments and the Brad Friedel stuff. I will say this, usually if someone has a decent CV, then recommendation letters just kinda get thrown on a letterhead and signed.. they are rarely edited and sent back differently.

But when that recommendation letter actually contains lies about how good that CV is you might be more reticent to put your own name to it...

Meier

But when that recommendation letter actually contains lies about how good that CV is you might be more reticent to put your own name to it...

Honestly, they're rarely looked at. It's just like, okay, sure, this person is legitimate, letterhead, sign, done. Either way, it feels like that didn't need to be included in the book, or more context was probably appropriate. It's clearly still a very sore subject though.

xbhaskarx

Throughout the day, any time Klinsmann's name comes up, Donovan refuses to let it pass, like a scab he can't stop picking. A fan asks Donovan on Twitter to name the coach who had the biggest impact on his career.

"Tell 'em Jurgen," Donovan says to the publicist typing his answers. "Oh wait, did they mean positive or negative impact?" He laughs.

Can't wait for the book, the Howard vs Friedel stuff will look like child's play.

JDeluis

Ticket prices are lol-worthy

$10-$20-$30-$40 and it would have sold out in an hour

I think cheapest seat were $60 and those are sold out. I'd love to go, but for two seats, fees and parking its almost $200. The grass berm section are $75!

I'll just buy me a LA Galaxy hat tomorrow and do my representation at home with my 2 year old who has his little Galaxy jersey.

NoRéN

I think cheapest seat were $60 and those are sold out. I'd love to go, but for two seats, fees and parking its almost $200. The grass berm section are $75!

I'll just buy me a LA Galaxy hat tomorrow and do my representation at home with my 2 year old who has his little Galaxy jersey.

Tickets started being sold on the 17th or something. Basically, buy the tickets just in case or get a full refund. It explains why the cheapest tickets availlable after the "win" at seattle were $120.

kIdMuScLe

Actually the cheapest were $40 but those were gone in the first day. I ended up getting the general admission which i could sit anywhere behind the goalkeeper area. Not bad for $60 each but yeah previous years was cheaper. LA is not a big soccer city so I don't think the other LA team is going to survive here.

RBH

It’s onward and upward for the English Premier League on American television. The league has seen a boon as its popularity continues to increase in Year 2 of their rights deal with the peacock.

The November 22nd game between Manchester United and Arsenal was the most-watched Premier League game in U.S. history, according to the Associated Press.

The game, which aired on NBC Sports, averaged 1.41 million viewers. It beat the previous record of 1.38 million viewers, set on Feb. 5, 2012 for a game on FOX between United and Chelsea.

The match between the top-tier clubs featured a decisive 85th-minute goal from Manchester United captain Wayne Rooney.

Since kicking off its Premier League coverage in August 2013, NBC Sports Group has aired seven of the 10 most-watched live EPL telecasts ever in the U.S.

The November game was also watched by 63,000 unique viewers on the NBC Sports Live Extra app, which NBC said was the fifth-highest total ever, according to the AP.

It does produce a bit of an interesting dilemma though - the EPL’s deal with NBC is currently in Year 2 of 3 – it ends in 2016. The more successful the coverage is, the more expensive it will be to keep. And with most all of the major rights fees in sports locked up into the next decade, that EPL contract becomes more and more valuable considering how ESPN, NBC, and Fox are all highly interested in soccer. NBC simply can’t afford to lose the EPL given their success in quality and quantity as well as critical acclaim and ratings success.
http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2014/12/01/manchester-united-arsenal-us-record-viewers
http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/nbc...-new-record-watched-epl-match-american-shores

The draw for the women's world cup just happened. We drew the worst case scenario: USA, Australia, Sweden, and Nigeria. In that order. Jesus.

The difference between the men being in a Group of Death and the women being in one is that the USWNT are the Grim Reaper/Boogeywoman. We are the top dogs/the Germany of the group.

It'll be a difficult group no doubt, but they have should have every expectation to go through.

xbhaskarx

Even Germany isn't a good comparison. If the US loses in the final it will be a disappointing tournament. It's closer to USA basketball than the German soccer team.

(I don't actually watch basketball so I may have that wrong)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom