• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT| Life, liberty and the pursuit of the beautiful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Mexico's roster for the friendly next week:
Goalkeepers: Moises Muñoz (America), Alfredo Talavera (Toluca).

Defenders: Paul Aguilar (America), Miguel Layun (America), Rafael Marquez (Leon), Rogelio Martinez (Cruz Azul), Enrique Perez (Atlas), Miguel Ponce (Toluca), Francisco Rodriguez (America), Juan Carlos Valenzuela (America).

Midfielders: Isaac Brizuela (Toluca), Marco Fabian (Cruz Azul), Juan Carlos Medina (America), Luis Montes (Leon), Carlos Peña (Leon), Jesus Zavala (Monterrey).

Forwards: Raul Jimenez (America), Alan Pulido (Tigres).

Local talk radio (Felger & Mazz, 98.5 the Sports Hub; they have the radio call for Pats and Revs) actually talked about the Boston Magazine article about the Krafts for a bit. Pretty much agreed with the article and put them on blast. Even took some calls on it too.

daoster

Roger Bennett - Can MLS ever emerge from the shadow of European football?

Watching the spectacle of the Dodgers and Diamondbacks open their season on a cricket pitch in Sydney, attempting to take the struggling MLB brand global, my mind inevitably wandered back to soccer.

As the bemused Aussie crowd watched Yasiel Puig slug for the fences, I was reminded of a question I had recently been asked about America’s surging fascination with soccer: Is it inherently connected to a fascination with the exotic, cosmopolitan and foreign?

ATF487

Local talk radio (Felger & Mazz, 98.5 the Sports Hub; they have the radio call for Pats and Revs) actually talked about the Boston Magazine article about the Krafts for a bit. Pretty much agreed with the article and put them on blast. Even took some calls on it too.

Wow, can't believe this, the Revs never get a mention, besides advertising the radio broadcasts of the tv feed that they inexplicably air

Zynx

So, I've recently jumped onto the Toronto FC bandwagon after all the hype, and while reading some writeups on just how awesome Michael Bradley is, I see references to stats such as "leading in chances created" (and even something called "big chances created"). However, when I look at the official MLS site, there's no such categories, and search engines don't seem to turn up anything along those lines either. Is there actually someone keeping track of such kind of stats, or did the writer just pull stuff out of his ass?

xbhaskarx

Those might be Opta stats? I don't know if the public has access to the aggregated stats for the entire season, but for any individual game, from the matchcenter page (the scoreboard bar across the top of the league site) you can click on "Old Matchcenter" and then the "Chalkboard" tab. You can select a player and then something from Events (for me this looks cut off in Firedox but is fine in IE).

Here are both for TFC:
http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2014-03-15-SEA-v-TOR/chalkboard
http://www.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2014-03-22-TOR-v-DC/chalkboard

If that's not it I doubt it's publicly available...

Askani

So this USMNT all MLS snub team article came up in my Facebook feed:

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/27/mlss-not-selected-u-s-best-xi-a-k-a-the-all-snub-team/

Normal stuff, except when it comes to forwards, and they list C.J. Sapong as "Others on the notepad". I see this in tons of articles. Sapong is always in the conversation somehow in the minds of the soccer writers and I just don't get it. He's an average forward right now, at best. He's not really producing anything. What do people see that I don't see? Are they still caught up in his "potential"?

Meier

Just noticed that if you play MLS Fantasy, you can go to history and then switch to "bonus" from "scoring" and it will show chances created and big chances created, etc. WhoScored is obviously a better reference if you want data quickly, but if you're particularly interested in the "big" chances created, that's going to be the best resource.

Nesotenso

So this USMNT all MLS snub team article came up in my Facebook feed:

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/27/mlss-not-selected-u-s-best-xi-a-k-a-the-all-snub-team/

Normal stuff, except when it comes to forwards, and they list C.J. Sapong as "Others on the notepad". I see this in tons of articles. Sapong is always in the conversation somehow in the minds of the soccer writers and I just don't get it. He's an average forward right now, at best. He's not really producing anything. What do people see that I don't see? Are they still caught up in his "potential"?

Sapong is nowhere near close ready for the international level. Heck, he is nowhere near to take on the responsibility as the go to forward for an MLS side. For guys like Sapong and Zardes it is unfortunate that they can't take advantage of their physical gifts because they have so many bad habits that need to be drilled out. Failing of coaching at lower levels here.

As an aside, for some reason MLS teams struggle to produce good forwards who relish the ball at their feet and taking defenders on.

- Grantland: Commissioner Don Garber on the Young Guns of MLS Ownership
To open an occasional series looking at MLS ownership, Graham Parker sat down with MLS Commissioner Don Garber to talk about the phenomenon he believes is the most important development for the league in recent years: the change from a small number of owners, with multiple teams each, incubating the league, to a growing raft of entrepreneurs developing individual sides.

This weekend's games from Galarcep:
PHILADELPHIA UNION vs. MONTREAL IMPACT (Saturday, 4pm, MLS Live)
D.C. UNITED vs. CHICAGO FIRE (Saturday, 4pm, NBC Sports Network)
COLORADO RAPIDS vs. SPORTING KANSAS CITY (Saturday, 6pm, MLS Live)
VANCOUVER WHITECAPS vs. HOUSTON DYNAMO (Saturday, 7pm, MLS Live)
FC DALLAS vs. PORTLAND TIMBERS (Saturday, 8:30pm, MLS Live)
REAL SALT LAKE vs. TORONTO FC (Saturday, 9:30pm, MLS Live)
SEATTLE SOUNDERS vs. COLUMBUS CREW (Saturday, 10pm, MLS Live)
SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES vs. NEW ENGLAND REVOLUTION (Saturday, 10:30pm, MLS Live)
NEW YORK RED BULLS vs. CHIVAS USA (Sunday, 3pm, UniMas)

- US Soccer's 'Road to the Roster' podcast Ep 3
ussoccer.com's "Road to the Roster" returns for Episode 3, with U.S. MNT head coach Jurgen Klinsmann discussing what stood out from this past weekend's matches around the world and everything surrounding USA vs. Mexico on April 2 in Phoenix, Arizona. We also hear from U.S. MNT assistant coach and head of european scouting office, Andi Herzog to talk about preparations ahead of the FIFA World Cup.

Dartastic

I had an opportunity to get a Timbers 3rd kit for a little over half off today, so I pulled the trigger. Goddamn this thing is nice. I went for the cheaper one, as the "authentic" jersey fit like it was made for athletes, and the "replica" one felt like it was made for normal people. Hah. The price difference was also part of my decision, and so was the fact that I could put my 107ist patch on the left sleeve. The main crest on the front is actually of higher quality as well, which is strange. I'm really glad I got one, and for a lot of people the cheaper one is probably the better option.

Zynx

Hmm. whoscored.com does look like what I was looking for, thanks. It's pretty overwhelming for a new fan, though.

I had an opportunity to get a Timbers 3rd kit for a little over half off today, so I pulled the trigger. Goddamn this thing is nice. I went for the cheaper one, as the "authentic" jersey fit like it was made for athletes, and the "replica" one felt like it was made for normal people. Hah. The price difference was also part of my decision, and so was the fact that I could put my 107ist patch on the left sleeve. The main crest on the front is actually of higher quality as well, which is strange. I'm really glad I got one, and for a lot of people the cheaper one is probably the better option.

You personalize it?

Yanks Abroad..

- Ream starts for Bolton
- Spector starts for Birmingham City, no Packwood today
- F Johnson at right back for Hoffenheim against Bayern Munich
- Guzan went 90 for Villa
- Cameron for Stoke as usual
- Danny Williiams and Gooch start

Osorio

Tomorrow's game will be played in front of a tiny crowd im assuming.

Supposed to be showers all day.

Though if you followed the team long enough you'll realize we always win when it's raining.

Meier

1376364006420.gif

“One day, I would like to play in America,” Kaká said. “Let’s see. At the end of the season, I will talk to [general manager Adriano Galliani]. Not just to speak about bonuses and money -- money is not the main thing for me now, and I think that is understood. I want to see what his ideas are and what the club’s ideas are.

“If it turns out I need to move, I will choose the MLS.”
http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...-targets-mls-move-should-time-ac-milan-come-c

#KakaOrlandoCityFuture
#Believe

Meier

Wouldn't Miami be more attractive of a city to play in if you're a big star?

Kaka is friends with our primary owner who is Brazilian. He's planning to bring in a big player from Brazil to make the team attractive to Brazilians (Orlando is their primary tourist destination).

Tomorrow's game will be played in front of a tiny crowd im assuming.

Supposed to be showers all day.

Though if you followed the team long enough you'll realize we always win when it's raining.

It's cute that rain has an impact on your attendance. :)

Though I'm not really looking forward to standing in this weather for 90 minutes tonight either, if I'm honest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom